Options

GV10 [Results] Best Comic Book Movie: Check Page 3 for results!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Time to second the nomination for the best MCU Movie: Iron Man 3. There are a lot of reasons, but the number one reason is that the plane rescue scene is the single most thrilling and tense scene of any superhero movie to date, despite Tony never being in any danger, because it remembers that there can be stakes other than world domination, that sometimes rescuing a single human being is what superheroes should aim for. There's also the absolutely brilliant twist with the Mandarin, and how it reflects on everything, and the fact that the movie sets up themes and ideas and follows through, while providing really great action.

I'll also nominate Thor for being my favorite out of the Marvel phase one movies. They found a way to set up fish out of water comedy sequences without making him look like a complete idiot, and Loki is easily the most compelling villain the Marvel films have put to film (though Killian is pretty good).

And I'll nominate X-Men: Days of Future Past for being the best X-movie since X2. For embracing the kind of time-hopping, dystopian future nonsense that the best X-Men comics play with. For making Mystique a compelling, interesting character. For the sheer brilliance of that Time in a Bottle sequence. For making me eat my words when I thought that movie was going to be a trainwreck.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Tossing out a few I didnt see mentioned:

300 - Say what you will about Zach Snyder. This was a movie where his style actually WORKED.

Big Hero 6 - ok, so only KINDA based on the comics, but still a really enjoyable film, and I'm pretty sure its the only Oscar winner for more than technical awards on the list.

Kick Ass - more of the ultra violence and whatnot, but I liked it.

Sin City - Fucking awesome style to it, and a great cast.

V for Vendetta - Discounting the further inspiration the mask has led too, I liked the movie quite a bit.

X-Men: First Class - ok, they made a 60s era x-men period piece, and it WORKED. What the hell. Worth watching just for Magneto: Nazi Hunter (and the Jackman cameo)

Captain America: The First Avenger - Alot of people consider this one of the weaker MCU movies, but its actually one of my favorites. I love so much about it, from the USO show idea (which was BRILLIANT and makes a hell of alot of sense), to bringing in a great supporting cast with Carter, Dugan, and Stark (who now have their own spinoff). Also I personally thought that ol Agent Smith KILLED it as Red Skull, and it saddens me that we probably wont see him reprise the role.

I'll also throw out some more seconding for Dredd. Never thought that would work, but it was amazing. also Adventures of Tintin was fantastic. I'd never read the original comics, but I would love to find some after seeing the film. It was just like someone earlier mentioned, an animated Indiana Jones or Uncharted style adventure with a really great cast.

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    If direct to DVD stuff counts, I'll go ahead and nominate 2009's Wonder Woman because it is probably the best super-hero movie with a female protagonist in the last decade century? millenium??? forever I guess. Given the competition that doesn't really mean much, but it is quite good honestly. That coming from someone who isn't even really a Wonder Woman fan.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Losers. A better A-team movie than the A-team movie. A damn shame that it didn't get a sequel. Also starred Chis Evan as the TF2 Scout :P

It was alright. Carnahan's A-Team was better.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Oh right! DC's animated movies. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is the best of the bunch. I don't see it cracking my top 5 (it would probably make my top 10), but it's well worth a mention.

Edit: And it was already brought up by Zonugal. Well, seconding.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    If the animated movies count, then I'd second Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths and nominate Batman: Under the Red Hood and All-Star Superman.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh man, I almost didn't nominate

Defendor

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Just looking at the nominations so far.... I have no idea what I am going to vote for. I see at least half a dozen I want to put at #1 and more that I would put in a top 5. Truly, it is a good time to be both a comic book fan and movie buff.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular

<_<

>_>

Wanted

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Geth, kick @Nogs from the thread

He knows what he did.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs. @Nogs banned from this thread.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh, I'm going to second Tintin.

I think like many, I ignored it when it came to theatres but watched it when it was on CN and wow. What a fun, tight, beautiful movie that is.

And I'm going to add Kingsman to the list. Vaughn should handle just every adaptation of Millar work (If they intend on doing them) since he can get rid of most of the awful stuff and make a pretty fantastic movie.

Fucking Freebird.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Captain America: The First Avenger - Alot of people consider this one of the weaker MCU movies
    Wait, really? I thought that movie was tight as hell. For example, I think it was much better than Thor. Mind you, I really enjoyed Thor, but I feel like it could have used a firm-handed editing pass to trim out certain parts completely and expand other parts to make it flow better.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Bah. Road to Perdition came out in 2002. I love that movie.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Here it is. Snowpiercer. Do the forum a favor and watch it before voting. Also, 95% on rottentomatoes.

Trailer

Other off-the-cuff opinions about comicbook movies of the past decade:
    I totally loved Defendor, but I have to say that I don't consider comics to be synonymous with superhero, so I wouldn't vote for it based on that.

Marvel's had 10 movies in their cinematic universe so far, and I only enjoyed 5. The five remaining would be Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Iron Man 1, Iron Man 3, and Winter Soldier in that order. However, superhero movies have a bad habit of including individual things that pretty much kill the enjoyment for me. Most of them are the third act fight. I would nominate The Wolverine if its third act didn't complete remove its rewatchability for me.

I second Sin City and X-Men: First Class (which I found far better than its sequel, which I also liked).

Big Hero 6 also did one thing that no Marvel movie has done yet, which is have a villain that the viewer can empathize with.

M-Tee on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Nogs wrote: »
    Wanted
    Second

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Wanted
    Second

6639364.jpg

• Options
    Some people just want to watch the world burn.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Some people just wanted to watch the world burn.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Wanted
    Second

e8245V4.jpg

Geth, kick @CorporateLogo from the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs. @CorporateLogo banned from this thread.

• Options
    You know what? I'm going to nominate Spider-Man 3. I genuinely like that movie and none of you can convince me that I'm wrong.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Geth, kick @The Geebs That Knows Everything About Animorphs from the thread

...worth a shot.

• Options
    Spider-Man 3 is far from the most offensive nomination in this thread, which nominated both Watchmen and Wanted.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    This will raise the ire of the Hellblazer purists, and probably everyone else but... Constantine.

I know I know, Keanu isn't true to the comics, but I really like the film. Tilda Swinton is spectacular as Gabriel and Peter Stromare is even better as lucifer. I feel like that film is worth nominating based on those two performances alone.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Constantine is just a month or so too early to be eligible.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Oh, and a second to Persepolis, which might pull my #2 rank on my vote. Watch Eye of the Tiger to get hooked, then the full movie for one of the best animated feature films of all time, comic-based or not.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    It kind of felt like Sami Rami no longer gave a damn while making Spider-man 3. Like I can sympathize with him being forced to include Venom, but even if it had just been Sandman or Harry I don't think their plots would have improved much. Like, making Sandman Uncle Ben's killer was just frigging dumb. Harry's butler revealing he knew about Norman causing his own death all along, but never bothered to tell him until the end of the third film was also super dumb. Plus there also the forced drama with Mary Jane and entire scenes dedicated to musical numbers didn't add anything to the central plot.

There were some good parts though, such as Sandman pulling himself together for the first time, and Peter's first battle with Harry while trying to save his ring, so I can't say the film was completely bad.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    On Spidey 3 - I'm not a fan of any of the Venom stuff, but Sandman was incredibly well cast and was great. You really felt for the character, despite what he had done.

In hindsight, I think that Rami's movies were some of the best cast comic movies. Other than Venom, there isn't a role I could think to recast that would improve any of them.

I will admit though, I enjoyed the Watchmen movie for the most part (not in my top 5 or anything, but not terrible). I thought it did an admirable job on a very difficult project. Come to think of it, the casting on that was pretty good too.

I didn't realize there was a movie of Persepolis though - I have the book. I'll have to find a copy to watch at some point.

• Options
    Alright, nominations are closed. I'll have voting up shortly

• Options
    Vote for your favorite comic book movie HERE

• Options
    Man, this was a tough choice. I feel good about my #1 vote, but for the other 4 I could have picked a completely different set of movies and still felt good about it.
    -SPI- wrote: »
    This will raise the ire of the Hellblazer purists, and probably everyone else but... Constantine.

I know I know, Keanu isn't true to the comics, but I really like the film. Tilda Swinton is spectacular as Gabriel and Peter Stromare is even better as lucifer. I feel like that film is worth nominating based on those two performances alone.

I know it's been mentioned that this movie can't be in the running, but I just wanted to take a moment to recognize it. I really, really liked it. I guess it may have fared better with the fans if it wasn't explicitly a Hellblazer movie, but I'm also not well-read on Hellblazer, so that didn't bother me too much. I liked the physical, no-nonsense approach to mysticism - that is, the fact that there are mystical effects you can cause that don't require lighting candles and pouring out salt in the shape of pentagram and chanting for 8 hours.

Also, as has been mentioned, Peter Stormare Lucifer is the absolute best version of Lucifer.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    damn, forgot to mention hulk vs wolverine. probably marvel's only enjoyable animated movie. has good deadpool and the hulk flattening weapon x with the big clap. all the fan service!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Y'know. At the end of the day, I still think Avengers is better than anything else at giving the Superhero Comicbook Movie, with damn near zero concessions being made in the process of translating it to live action on the big screen.

Hell. Largely, we still live in an age where arbitrary divergences from the source material are made on a regular basis. "Let's make him blonde. How about there's a kid? Maybe these two characters can be love interests. This is a major supporting character in the comics, but for the movie we're going to kill him off in the third act. This is a major character in comics, period, but for the movie we're going to make him eat an entire live puppy onscreen because that's the only way to save the earth from the kryptonians."

And...more than that. Avengers, the movie does a sterling job of saying, "We're gonna build a team. We're gonna go around the world. There's an alien army and god damn it, it is going to invade fucking New York and be a credible threat and shit's gonna get fucked up good. And then we're gonna win."

It's simply a fantastic presentation on how to spend an action movie foreshadowing this big thing that's gonna happen at the end, ratcheting up the tension, and then not letting the audience down. I think there might be thousands of action movies out there with a similar general premise, only that the invading army never gets to invade, that the crisis is averted and that's supposed to be the big ending.

This may sound insane, but it's one of the main reasons I am still comfortable keeping my Netflix account-that at any day, at any time, I can call on the Avengers, and they will be there.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    I would like to thank everyone for not nominating the following:

Amazing Spider-Man
    Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Man of Steel

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I would like to thank everyone for not nominating the following:

Amazing Spider-Man
    Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Man of Steel

For that matter, I offer my personal thanks to everybody who didn't nominate The Spirit.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm actually kind of shocked nobody nominated Man of Steel. I mean, it's an atrocious movie, but a) people nominated Watchmen and Wanted (sorry not sorry to those that did) and 2) so many rounds have had things nominated "just because"

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I don't consider The Spirit a comic book movie.

It was more like a secret pact with an old friend to protect his legacy.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    It kind of felt like Sami Rami no longer gave a damn while making Spider-man 3. Like I can sympathize with him being forced to include Venom, but even if it had just been Sandman or Harry I don't think their plots would have improved much. Like, making Sandman Uncle Ben's killer was just frigging dumb. Harry's butler revealing he knew about Norman causing his own death all along, but never bothered to tell him until the end of the third film was also super dumb. Plus there also the forced drama with Mary Jane and entire scenes dedicated to musical numbers didn't add anything to the central plot.

There were some good parts though, such as Sandman pulling himself together for the first time, and Peter's first battle with Harry while trying to save his ring, so I can't say the film was completely bad.

Harry's scenes with Mary-Jane were some of the best in the movie. It became a romantic comedy - then Harry got his memories back.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Keith wrote: »
    I'm actually kind of shocked nobody nominated Man of Steel. I mean, it's an atrocious movie, but a) people nominated Watchmen and Wanted (sorry not sorry to those that did) and 2) so many rounds have had things nominated "just because"

Watchmen isn't as bad as Man of Steel. YMMV.
    I don't consider The Spirit a comic book movie.

It was more like a secret pact with an old friend to protect his legacy.

Frank did a shitty job protecting that legacy.

Harry Dresden on