As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GV10: [Results]: Best Writer: Check Page 2 for Results!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited April 2015 in Graphic Violence
Our next category is Best Writer.

This category is for your favorite comics writer of the past ten years. They don't have to have debuted in that time, they just have to have produced work you loved over the course of the past decade. And if you like a writer/artist, you can nominate them here, if you want.

Rules

1) Nominate as many writers as you want! There's no limit
2) We're going to do something a little different, for the next few categories, to keep nominees to a manageable level. To make the voting rounds, a writer will need three nominations. That's a nomination and two seconds.
3) Remember, this is your place to make your case for your favorite writer. Voting will be in a Google form, as usual
4) And: keep it civil. This isn't a place to be shitty to each other.

Alright, and nominations are open...NOW

Put your nominations in BOLD TEXT. You don't need to all caps them, though

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Gonna get some heavy hitters out of the way:

Grant Morrison basically wrote 75% of the stuff I like that DC has done in the past 10 years

Jonathan Hickman has made me care about a summer event for the first time ever

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye is just a pleasure to read

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    Matt Fraction - seminal runs on Thor, Hawkeye, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Defenders, the amazing Casanova and the adorable Sex Criminals. Only Fear Itself and an iffy run on Uncanny X-Men blot his copybook.

Ed Brubaker - his work with Sean Phillips over the last ten years has been astonishing. Just an absolute master of bad people doing the wrong thing and compromised people doing the right thing and also the wrong thing.

Bogart on
  • Options
    I'm going to nominate a couple writers that were all over the best characters poll.

Matt Fraction for reinvigorating Hawkeye and Iron Fist, and giving the world Lucky the Pizza Dog

Kieron Gillen for having possibly one of the greatest single runs of a comic in Journey Into Mystery, and for the Wicked & the Divine

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Matt Fraction

Brian Michael Bendis

Jonathan Hickman

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I have a few:

I agree with Matt Fraction.

I add Brian K. Vaughan for Saga, it's simply wonderful.

Also, I nominate Charles Soule for the short lived She-Hulk series which was a wonderful balance between super hero action and lawyering and it was awesome.

Next - Grace Ellis for the amazing Lumberjanes series. I was thrilled when they declared it was going to be a normal monthly ongoing, and it hasn't disappointed. My favorite little touch was in the back of the first story-line each issue had a Mix CD playlist by one of the characters.

Also - I'd like to nominate Warren Ellis - specifically for Supreme: Blue Rose. It was such a great series, well written (and absolutely beautiful as a bonus).

Finally G. Willow Wilson for Ms. Marvel. The interactions between Kamala and her family are perfect examples of the superb writing in this series.

I love this series of threads - I just bought Rat Queens vol 1 last night specifically because of all the positive things folks said about it in the team thread.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Jonathan Hickman is the clear winner, from Secret Warriors to SHIELD to his Fantastic Four to the FF being just perfect at the end, his Avengers and New Avengers stories bringing new things while not being completely disrespectful to history before him or other writers. He gets characters and even villains or antagonists in a way others simply don't, and that makes his writing so much better.

And this doesn't even include all his creator owned stuff. East of West is fantastic, Manhattan Projects is fantastic, The Nightly News, Pax Romana, Redwing, these all border from good to great.

Seriously, people, this guy has done so much great work in such a small timeframe, he could stop right now and he would still be one of the best comic writers ever. Quality AND Quantity, you can't beat it, #1 is his.

Kurt Busiek, no one loves comics more than this guy. Probably the best living comic writer to date, but the past ten years haven't been too shabby either. Astro City has been nearly perfect since he made it and has been the most consistent franchise, Arrowsmith was fantastic, his Conan made me actually pick up stories about the barbarian, his short JLA run had the best Crime Syndicate story, his Superman work was fun if only hampered by delays from his artist and Action Comics, Trinity was, I believe, a success and House of M done right, the guy is fantastic. He wrote a Krypto issue so great and full of emotion lawyers had to come in and literally slap an injunction on it because it was too powerful for written words, there is no hyperbole or misunderstanding in this sentence whatsoever. No Avengers event since Busiek, until Hickman, ever came close to reaching the Kang Dynasty. And I think Superman Secret Identity just missed out on the timeframe but is perfect and you should all read it and love it and place it next to your copy of Superman: Birthright. And he was writing diverse, inclusive characters well before anyone else was, he just never made a big deal about it or focused around splash pages or big shocks, every issue was a nice, in and of itself story that is the way comics should be.

And that's the real shame, the guy does everything right but isn't flashy and therefore doesn't get the recognition he deserves from current fans. This is where you can change this.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    I'll second Jonathan Hickman for his stellar runs on the Avengers and on Fantastic Four. I really want to see the second have of his SHIELD series, as well.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Geoff Johns - he has his problems, but when he's on he's on. Plus, he made Green Lantern huge, and Sinestro Corps War is probably the best event comic I've ever read

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Matt Fraction. Hawkeye, Immortal Iron Fist and Sex Criminals are all awesome. With the first two books he made me actually give a damn about male Hawkeye (Clint) and Iron Fist. I also really liked what I've read of his Iron Man.

Ed Brubaker. Books of Doom, Daredevil, and Immortal Iron Fist really are fantastic books.

James Roberts. Transformers More than Meets the Eye is one of my favourite books I'm currently following. This is a book that stars a lot of relatively unknown transformers and makes you give a damn about them. He also co-wrote Last stand of the Wreckers which did the same thing!

Nick Roche. See what I wrote about Last Stand of the Wreckers. Also, I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Spotlight: Kup, so he has that going for him as well.

Mairghread Scott. She took what looked like a boring Geisha looking Transformer and made not only a interesting character, but also a fun book. Looking forward to seeing more of her work.

Brian Michael Bendis. I know he has a habit of ignoring other character's previous development and forcing Bendis Speak on every character, but I love Ultimate Spider-man so damn much I can't not vote for him. Over the years of Peter's run, it just kept getting better and better, with the relationship with Kitty Pryde, the Aunt May's House for Superpowered Teens, the friggin Clone Saga, and he even handled the character's death really well! Then he created a new Spider-man worthy of the title! He also made a Jessica Drew I actually care about.

G. Willow Wilson. Holy crap the new Ms. Marvel book was such a pleasant surprise. Who would have thought a Pakistani Muslim superhero would be so well received in this era. She's hardly the first Muslim superhero, but I don't think any other one has been this popular.

Eric Shanower. I just really, really, REALLY love the Marvel Oz books. They're so damn cute!

Warren Ellis. His Moon Knight is so damn good. I also liked what I've read of his Thunderbolts.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I nominate Brandon Graham. His writer/artist stuff is great and Prophet is fantastic.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Ah, so many good writers in the last few years.

Most of them have already been named, but off the top of my head:

Jason Aaron: who finally wrote a Wolverine series that could interest me again for the first time in years. That is an achievement by itself. Add in Scalped.

Garth Ennis: while I'm hesitant to nominate a writer who has already done so much great work before the last ten years, series like Punisher MAX and Fury: My War Gone By deserve to be mentioned.

Lewis Trondheim: A choice for the Europeans among us. His Texas Cowboys has been one of my favourite comics for the past five years. And for a guy who has officially retired, he still does a lot of diverse work.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    For me, this isn't even a contest: Kieron Gillen from here 'til Tuesday. I've said this before: it's incredibly easy for meta-comics to spiral out of control, to crash and to burn, but Journey Into Mystery did it so so well. The meta element was a key part of the narrative, it was the story. Further, he added a depth to Tony Stark that I hadn't seen before, and did some big work with that character. He snatched the Thor baton that JMS so carelessly dropped right out of the air and then finished the race with a flourish. The dude does good work.

Also, I will forever be sad that S.W.O.R.D. was so short-lived.

On a less-personal, more objective note, yeah, I'll second Jonathan Hickman. The work he did with the Avengers is mythical, and I mean that in a literal sense. You can put it on the shelf next to the Iliad.

Finally, I'll also second Grant Morrison. I think he sometimes needs an editor to reign him in, but when his stuff works, it soars. Seven Soldiers is one of the coolest stories I've read (and does some interesting experimentation with the narrative); Final Crisis had some problems, but I think that when read as a trade, in one sitting, it works really well; his Batman/Batman and Robin/Batman, Inc work is simultaneously a very solid run, and also a very Morrison-y experiment; and most recently, Multiversity finally came out and it's actually way better than I thought it would be. I suggested at the start of the "GV10 - Best Of" thing a "Best Issue" category, but that was (justly) turned down for being needlessly specific. Well, I had a best issue in mind when I suggested that: Multiversity: Pax Americana. I'm still feeling a little breathless about that issue.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    no-one i've not already seen mentionned.

seconding ennis, ellis, BKV, aaron, brandon graham, james roberts and more for his underrated swamp thing run, charles soule

• Options
    I'm going to second Charles Soule for writing roughly three hundred books a month and not losing a step on any of them. Seriously, it's insane.

Oh, and another note on Matt Fraction, who I already nominated/seconded: He wrote two of my favorite single issues of the decade (or of all time, if we're being picky): Punisher War Journal #4, centering on Stilt Man's funeral, which is a love letter to goofy, ridiculous superheroes featuring lines I still quote to this day (what's a gibbon?), and the Sensational Spider-Man Annual, which is one of the single greatest MJ and Pete stories that's ever been done, just in time for it to disappear. Oh, and there's the Hawkeye issue from the dog's perspective.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    i should vote gillen for my single favorite issue of the decade - capt america and batroc the leaper!

capbatr001.jpg
    batroc01.jpg

manji on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Brian Wood - He may be a scuzzball in real life, but Wood can write good comics. From his Vertigo work like DMZ and Northlanders to creator-owned work like The Massive to licensed properties like Moon Knight and Star Wars, Wood is the go-to guy when Warren Ellis or Grant Morrison are otherwise occupied.

Antony Johnston - Just on the basis of Wasteland, Fused and Umbral, I think Johnson is one of the best underappreciated indie stars out there. I'm looking forward to what he does in 2015.

Jeff Lemire - Another indie darling who can do superheroes. His Animal Man and Sweet Tooth were amazing, and I am excited to see him work in the Valiant Universe on The Valiant.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    second Ed Brubaker - his work on Daredevil and Captain America I found to be rather amazing, I also love his indie stuff like Criminal

second Garth Ennis - huge fan of his Punisher work, from Marvel Knights to MAX

second Brian K. Vaughan - Pride of Baghdad is one of my fav. graphic novels, I also enjoyed Y: The Last Man and Dr. Strange: The Oath

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I've been kind of down on Rick Remender recently, but his Uncanny X-Force alone is enough to warrant a nomination.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Jonathan Hickman

Matt Fraction

Warren Ellis

Ed Brubaker

G. Willow Wilson

Brian Michael Bendis

Gail Simone

Mark Waid

Peter David

Kelly Sue Deconnick

Nathan Edmondson

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Jeff Lemire - Another indie darling who can do superheroes. His Swamp Thing and Sweet Tooth were amazing, and I am excited to see him work in the Valiant Universe on The Valiant.

He wrote Animal Man, not Swamp Thing

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Seconding Grant Morrison . He created Damien Wayne, wrote an amazing Dick-as-Batman, and I felt did an excellent job revisiting and explaining the silver age silliness that we all try to ignore in Batman's history.

And All Star Superman is the best Superman story of all time.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Jeff Lemire - Another indie darling who can do superheroes. His Swamp Thing and Sweet Tooth were amazing, and I am excited to see him work in the Valiant Universe on The Valiant.

He wrote Animal Man, not Swamp Thing

Thanks. Fixed.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go with Grant Morrison.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Seconding Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Jeff Lemire, Brian Michael Bendis, Jonathan Hickman, Matt Fraction, Rick Remender, Jason Aaron, Kieron Gillen

Also going to nominate Greg Rucka, Greg Pak, Scott Snyder

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    chip zdarsky

• Options
    Joe Hill - because Locke & Key is fantastic and my favorite

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Mark Waid - for his superb work on Daredevil (haven't read his other stuff yet), which managed to bring a swashbuckling edge to the character that allowed him to have victories, all while remembering the dark past of the character.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Farel Dalrymple

I often roll my eyes at art about the process of making art, but Farel Dalrymple managed it. And he did it by wrapping it in a post apocalyptic time bending story of child gangs fighting adults who became demons. His book, The Wrenchies, is viciously weird, touching, action packed, and horrifying sometimes all in the same page. It was not only my favorite comic of last year, but it's edging into being one of my favorite comics of all time.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Most of my nominees already have their seconds and thirds, but Peter David does not. Since he did X-Factor, I feel obligated to second.

(and I'm going to toss in an eight or whatever for Matt Fraction because... Hawkeye. Seriously. And a 4th for G. Willow Wilson for Ms. Marvel, who I had put off reading until the new character thread and holy shit why did I wait this long?)

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Chris Giarrusso - Mini Marvels. A really solid comedic series that ran as shorts in Marvel comics for quite some time. I still regularly pull out the ultimate collection and re-read the whole series. Plus he created Elephant Steve and Archeology Jackson (Who I totally forgot to include on the New Character nominations, damn)
    tumblr_m6g0tg5rNq1ryl1gto1_500.jpg

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    If Chris G. doesn't win best writer he will win best artist. Or best concept.

Look, he made something so great with Mini Marvels that Marvel stole his idea and made it worse with Superhero Squad, and then cancelled Mini Marvels so there would be no competing ideas. I'm not being facetious when I say that's very high praise.

edit: seconding Chris G.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »
    If Chris G. doesn't win best writer he will win best artist. Or best concept.

Look, he made something so great with Mini Marvels that Marvel stole his idea and made it worse with Superhero Squad, and then cancelled Mini Marvels so there would be no competing ideas. I'm not being facetious when I say that's very high praise.

make sure you 2nd the nomination so he gets into the voting then. Remember the new rule in the Op says they need at least 3 Nomnations (or 2 seconds) to get to the final voting.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Also like to toss a nomination up for Bryan Lee o'Malley for Scott Pilgrim and Seconds.

Scott Pilgrim was an awesome story, but I gotta say I really think his recent graphic novel Seconds was the superior, and really showed growth as a writer. Its always nice to see a good self contained storyline. He may not do work for the big two with superhero stories, but what he does, he does well.

also one I am REALLY surprised I haven't seen nominated already Bill Willingham for the various Fables series. This guy took a simple idea, and made a MASSIVE world and multiple series of books surrounding it (including an amazing game as we saw in the Games nomination thread, and some really good prose pieces that go into some other characters in more depth). He created (I cant even say adapted really, because the characters really are so different from the ones they are based on by this point) an amazing cast of characters where even the tertiary characters can become leads as the story progresses. and with all of that. He actually has the balls to end all of the series on his own terms (and with an absolutely massive final issue that will be an entire trade paperback volume to itself.)

Actually something I noticed. all 3 of the authors Ive nominated are ones that I regularly go back and read their works again and again. I think I read through all of Fables at least once or twice a year now, and I'll probably do it again when the last 2 TPBs release in a couple months.

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    I'll give James Roberts and Peter David their 3rd Nominations. Both have been pretty fun, in my view.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Keith Giffen: Keith is basically the grandfather of modern cosmic marvel, penning six issues of the Thanos in 2004 (right before the cut off I know, but I'm going somewhere) where he created the Kyln and brought Star-Lord into the mainstream Marvel Universe. Combined with his Drax miniseries in late 2005 and he set the stage for one of the best Marvel events of all time, 2006's annihilation. Penning the prologue, the main series, the Silver Surfer tie-in, and the Heralds of Galactus epilogue series, Giffen set the stage for the next five years of comics, bringing characters like Thanos, Drax, Gamora, Star-Lord and Nova back into the spotlight. While Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning took over the main duties on Marvel Cosmic, Giffen had one last gem to give; penning the Star-Lord mini for the Annihilation: Conquest event where he slapped together a rag-tag suicide squad filled with cosmic z-listers like Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Bug, and Mantis and created the prototype that D&A would turn into the Guardians of the Galaxy. Not bad for the final thing he wrote for Marvel.

Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning: While they're not working together anymore, I can't really say one or the other is deserving solely of the praise. While Giffen was reinvigorating cosmic Marvel with Annihilation, D&A took Nova and turned him from a Spider-man homage into the premier cosmic superhero for the next five years. Taking the boy and turning him into a man and saving the universe from Annihilus, earning him a new ongoing where he chewed out Tony Stark for the Civil War before he even got to the fourth issue! While continuing Nova's cosmic oddyssy, they also took the reigns of the Cosmic landscape, penning the Annihilation: Conquest event. And again, they took the work Giffen did and turned Star-Lords rag-tag suicide squad into the Guardians of the Galaxy, galvanizing the team into a fan-beloved favorite.

From there, they took their two ongoings through the War of Kings, penning the event as well as the Ascension miniseries, followed by the Realm of Kings one-shot and both the Inhumans and Imperial Guard minis, until finally both ongoings culminated in D&A penned Thanos Imperative, tying up threads going back to the early days of the modern cosmic era. D&A went on to write the two Annihilators miniseries, but they didn't take off and the cosmic scene died for awhile; until the GotG peaked Marvel Studios enough to begin production on a movie, which in turn ressurected the GotG, and lead to a glorious rebirth of the cosmic scene. Sadly, D&A have since stopped working together, though Abnett does work for Marvel still (Penning the current Guardians 3000 series, as well as the "Rocket Raccoon & Groot: Steal the Galaxy" and "Avengers: Evereyone wants to rule the world" prose novels.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'll second Giffen and Abnett&Lanning. Cosmic Marvel remains of my favorite eras of recent comics.

Going to nominate Brian Clevinger for Atomic Robo. Robo has been a solid book that manages to capture action and adventure, humor and sadness, and all while staying pretty family friendly. That's a tough balancing act to pull off these days, but it's definitely a book I could recommend to almost anyone.

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I 'll second Clevinger. Atomic Robo is stellar fun.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm going to throw out another nomination for Kieron Gillen, for all the reasons above (seriously, read Journey Into Mystery if you haven't already), and also because his range is incredible.

Pure superheroics? He bridged JMS and Fraction's Thor runs, and in his short time was better than either, and his Iron Man run had some fantastic arcs, often in spite of terrible art.

Pop music? Phonogram: The Singles club wove a half-dozen stories through a single night in a club, with pop music, magic, heartache and heartbreak, self-discovery and self-hatred all intertwined, and The Wicked + The Divine is Pop Gods taken amazingly literally.

History? Three is a painstakingly researched rebuke to Frank Miller's 300, and to the ionization of the Spartans in general, and got Gillen invited to speak at a conference for the University of Nottingham's Classics department

Alt-history? Uber is one of the angriest comics I've read this side of Bitch Planet, a violent, brutal, but in it's own way honest and non-exploitative take on superhumans in World War 2. This is grimdark violent "adult" comics done right.

That the same guy who wrote Young Avengers writes Uber speaks volumes for Gillen's ability and range. Whatever he writes, he writes very, very well.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Seconding Eric Shanower and Greg Rucka. Also nominating J. Torres for his work on a shitload of Johnny DC comics and Richard Starkings for his work on Elephantmen and all the tie-in stories.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yo, I will absolutely second Chris Giarrusso and Brian Clevinger. Mini Marvels spoofs of the Marvel events were often more entertaining and better-written than the events themselves, and Atomic Robo is some good writing, as detailed above.