Pillars of or relating to Eternity, with unmarked PoE1 spoilers abounding

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ooof, I should get back to this game.

I think I'll just turn the difficulty down to easy and enjoy the story.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I just found a pretty cool pistol, named Forgiveness.

It got its name because it was once in possession of a constable of the Dyrwood, who though physically unimposing took his job quite seriously. Because of his diminutive stature, criminals would often laugh at him and mock him saying that 'he'd never take them in.' And then he would smile and reply "You're right. I bring Forgiveness."

Edit: Also, you can apparently enchant unique weapons. That's pretty rad. I'd assumed you couldn't put enchantments on them.

Gundi on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just learned how to enchant weapons last night.

Eder is currently rocking a saber of cold and a hatchet of fire.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    folks underestimate constable Bob at their own peril

Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah, I just learned how to enchant weapons last night.

Eder is currently rocking a saber of cold and a hatchet of fire.
    Oh I knew enchanting items was a thing, I just assumed you couldn't put enchantments on the special unique items. Cause in a lot games, you can't. Seems like this incentivizes using rare equipment if you can find some you really like the attributes of.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    So I just finished the Endless Paths
    All in all I'd say it wasn't as good as Watcher's Keep, but it was still pretty damn fun and the story was more interesting.

The final boss fight didn't take as long as that of Watcher's Keep, but it was still super challenging. I'd hate to do it on Path of Iron.

@Anzekay please please please tell me how you did that final boss. Its the only thing in the game so far I can't beat.
    Even with food buffs and at level 11 as soon as the fight opens up the dragon insta kills my wizard, chanter, hunter and priest, leaving just my 2 melee dudes swinging.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hahaha oh my god

there's a side quest in Ondra's Way where you can tell the antagonist "this doesn't really make any sense, have you thought this through? You're not hurting the person you're angry with"

and they're like

huh

uh

yeah

Quest Complete

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, that one didn't end like I expected. I also talked a spirit into passing on. That was pretty cool.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    the weapons really take a jump in chapter 3. check out this sword for eder

CaF77pb.jpg

Recruited paladin lady, Pallegina. (thank goodness I returned to the docks.) Ended up switching Sagani (the ranger) out because a paladin just is a way better fit for my current party composition. Plus, my main character is a ranger so... eh, don't really need another one. (I'll switch Sagani back in to do her quest. And at least I had her in the party long enough to get to know her.)

Done just about every quest I can in Defiance Bay, all the ones you can do without fully committing to one of the city factions at least, and now I'm going to finally start exploring the catacombs to get the story progressing again.

Also people in Defiance Bay really need to keep a better eye on their things. I'm just robbing people blind and getting away with it. I've probably made 20,000cp just from selling stuff I've nicked from people's houses. Not going to really complain though, need that money for the keep and for buying shiny gear. (Although some of my shiny gear is just stuff I've found.)

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I like it. But there's a lot of filler.

Most of the NPCs are commoners, the named NPCs look exactly like everyone else, there's only a handful of locations to enter on each map and some of them aren't even quest-related. The companion quests are terrible, not from a story perspective but from a gameplay one- the Paladin's quest takes exactly thirty seconds to resolve, the Fighter's, Ranger's, and Druid's are all "go to three different places, have a conversation, and then make a choice at the end". They also don't feel like they have lives outside of your party- you don't have to do anything to get them to join you and they don't start conversations with you.

The keep sucks, hands down. The dungeon underneath it is cool but once you've built all the stuff you're done. There aren't any quests for it, there aren't any guards other than who you hire, and there's no managing the peasants. You can't even talk to the peasants. There are no peasants.

Oh, and the click-and-drag function is awful and the spellcasting animations are all the same.

I like it! I'm glad I kickstarted it. But I was expecting something with a bit more "depth" meat on the "story" bones, at least as far as the hype went.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So I just finished the Endless Paths
    All in all I'd say it wasn't as good as Watcher's Keep, but it was still pretty damn fun and the story was more interesting.

The final boss fight didn't take as long as that of Watcher's Keep, but it was still super challenging. I'd hate to do it on Path of Iron.

@Anzekay please please please tell me how you did that final boss. Its the only thing in the game so far I can't beat.
    Even with food buffs and at level 11 as soon as the fight opens up the dragon insta kills my wizard, chanter, hunter and priest, leaving just my 2 melee dudes swinging.

It was really tough, but I worked out a few details.
    I went and got the Scale-Breaker buff from the Dragon Hunter lady. You talk to the dragon a bunch and strike a deal with it, and in the process you can instead betray it and the Dragon Hunter will give you this buff.

Then I went back, and the dragon was still neutral, so I ran around it and took out the two big adds behind it (manually attack target).

Then I went back, got set up around the dragon, ate some food and attacked it with Eder (who I got to tank it, since he's basically immortal now) and spammed every confuse/paralyse/etc spell I could on it til one stuck. Then I popped scale-breaker on it and just attacked with everything I could.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i own this now, made a not-halfing not-bard

edited April 2015
    Eder really does become kind of invincible partway through the game. Not the best damage dealer, but can just tank things forever.

Also I killed some big stupid fire drake in some big stupid cavern.

Gundi on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Eder really does become kind of invincible partway through the game. Not the best damage dealer, but can just tank things forever.

Also I killed some big stupid fire drake in some big stupid cavern.

That fight was pretty tricky until I realized that there's a chokepoint right there

And then it became basically laughably easy

Chokepoints are always your best friend.

During the latter part of the game my Eder was just an immortal dude swinging a sabre at people until they died. I would sometimes just have him run in and tie up a bunch of monsters while we cleaned up the priority targets with the other 5 party members.

He didn't kill things fast, but he would just keep plucking away at stuff and they'd die eventually. But he just never took any damage ever, and if he did he'd just regen it straight away.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    what I feel like would be cool is if your characters had, like, a toggle that meant they could walk through the space of your other characters

they can't cast spells or attack but they can get through a doorway. no more dying because your paladin happens to be at the back or the pathing can't work out a way through a perfectly serviceable corridor

Crimson King on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the weapons really take a jump in chapter 3. check out this sword for eder

CaF77pb.jpg

Be a bit of a jerk and sell a good person's soul to an eternal evil, and you can be rocking weapons like these shortly after act 1!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    ok so way back the first time i went to resolve an attack at my keep, and the only time, i zapped a garrison merc with lightning, they all turned hostile and i was forced to massacre my own guards

i just came back much later, and i guess i'd auto resolved a doemenel attack. Entering my great hall, theyre all fighting, but my NEW garrison is immediately hostile to me.
    So i loaded the autosave and left before entering combat, and now the entire garrison has spawned outside, non-hostile, but now there are two korgraks just standing next to each other and a big group of mercs. looks like i'm never going into my keep again.

edited April 2015
    I not 100% sure, but I think these are 3 examples of the items from that stash of loot for being evil.
    6jmwf6sq3ycq.jpg
    ge8biz8shulf.jpg
    91qny64j8csb.jpg

edit: I just have a shit memory and now am not quite sure which crazy weapon came from where, but I think these 3 were from there

WiseManTobes on
    Woah what stash for being evil is this?

Old Nua
    You can reach the final floor with some trial and error battling and a lotta reloads, shortly into act 2. At the bottom is a Dragon that most aren't killing til end of game, but if you swing the conversation right, you can help him take over the body of a noble paladin dragonkiller, freeing him, and in return you get to loot his horde, about 4-5 weapon/armors and about 10k gold

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Cab someone more familiar with the Lore tell me if Necromancers are ever not evil?

So far, the two I've run into have been jerks. Mengele-ish and power hungry. Is Necromancy inherently evil or is that just the view people have toward it?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I got two of those items just for killing the Master, so I assume his horde pulls from the same loot table regardless of choice.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I really like that when you disarm a trap in this it then gives you said trap.

It's possibly the best trap mechanic in a game for me, because lord knows I wasn't going to craft them and if I have to pay for consumables I'll probably just find a way to go without.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Cab someone more familiar with the Lore tell me if Necromancers are ever not evil?

So far, the two I've run into have been jerks. Mengele-ish and power hungry. Is Necromancy inherently evil or is that just the view people have toward it?

Animancers play with souls in a universe with constant reincarnation. How you feel about that dictates your opinions on animancers.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957

Old Nua
    You can reach the final floor with some trial and error battling and a lotta reloads, shortly into act 2. At the bottom is a Dragon that most aren't killing til end of game, but if you swing the conversation right, you can help him take over the body of a noble paladin dragonkiller, freeing him, and in return you get to loot his horde, about 4-5 weapon/armors and about 10k gold

Oh, okay.
    Yeah I've finished the game and done the Endless Paths so I know all that, just didn't realise it was something like going down there so early. I figured there was some other quest that had a super evil ending but gave you fancy stuff.

Probably should've known, since now I look at them closer I recognise the names of those items.

Baidol wrote: »

Animancers play with souls in a universe with constant reincarnation. How you feel about that dictates your opinions on animancers.

Well I definitely don't like when they mess with souls before the current body is done with them

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Is there a way to assign one item to two weapon sets? Like, right now for Eder I have 2 good weapons, but 1 good shield.

steam_sig.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

Well I definitely don't like when they mess with souls before the current body is done with them

Progress has its costs.

Usually in the form of terrible abominations.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957

Old Nua

Oh, okay.
    Yeah I've finished the game and done the Endless Paths so I know all that, just didn't realise it was something like going down there so early. I figured there was some other quest that had a super evil ending but gave you fancy stuff.

Probably should've known, since now I look at them closer I recognise the names of those items.

The nice thing is
    As far as I can tell, there was no reputation or any other hit for betraying the Paladin, You feel like a huge jerk , but that's it

Also, you want to force yourself to learn some nutty tactics? do 14 floors of Old Nua before level 8

edited April 2015
    Also, you want to force yourself to learn some nutty tactics? do 14 floors of Old Nua before level 8

What about 10 floors before level 5 on hard difficulty?

I used so many traps.

Anzekay on
    Man.

I really have no idea what to think about animancers.

On one hand it seems like everything they do results in monstrous fuck-ups, and supporting them would be like supporting monstrous medical experiments.

On the other hand, it seems like the bad guy is trying to discredit them, so maybe the work they're doing is good?

I don't play games to think, damnit!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

They are abominations. All souls must return to the wheel to sustain the unending purifying cycle of birth, death, and rebirth. Animancers blaspheme against the Engine of Life, the Devourer of Death.
    a10f9k.jpg

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm still in Act 2 so I don't know everything yet, but everything i've seen really seems like Animancers are just trying to treat symptoms and are barely even managing that without screwing up. Curing the actual problem really looks like it's well beyond their abilities or even understanding.

Aistan on
    I'm also in Act 1. I just met Madame Web. Don't tell me it's not the same character from Spider-Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65iYx6gZe3o

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Welp

what up, gilded vale

What about 10 floors before level 5 on hard difficulty?

I used so many traps.

I started doing eq style things, treating entire group as separate folk working together, doing long pulls with the fighter , as he passes Wiz, wiz drops a wall behind him, they pass the Cipher, who has just dropped a trap, who drops a wall and continues to run, Fighter re-agros, repeat down another hallway. ( with Chanter , Ranger and Cleric shooting ranged pings the entire way)