Options

We finally have free time to work on our [Gunpla] Thread

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    You guys have got me wanting to give this another shot. I built a 1/144 Deathscythe and 1/100 (maybe?) Wing Zero about, oh, 16 years ago, but haven't built anything since then. I'd like to try my hand at a 1/100, but I don't know what to get. I don't have any particular affinity for the source material. This sort of aesthetic (http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/3568/figma+Black+Lotus.html) trips my trigger, but that's a Figma and I don't know if there are any product lines in a similar vein. That black canine looking Zoids thing in the OP looks pretty cool, too.

Any recommendations?

If you're a Wing fan, there are quite a few good 1/100 kits out there.

The Heavyarms
    71ad7rE8mEL._SL1500_.jpg

and Tallgeese
    61ClaDc7WNL._SL1101_.jpg

are personal favorites.

Figma are figurines, by the way, not model kits. If you want something in that vein, I would suggest looking at kits from the Reconguista in G line, tho I don't know if there are any 1/100 kits in it (I've seen only 1/144 scale).

61rFs4P6YAL._SL1084_.jpg

618v8GQJNaL._SL1155_.jpg

The current model line (from Iron-Blooded Orphans) has some pretty neat kits too, tho again, mostly 1/144 scale.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    At the end of this video, the guy is comparing two kits. What scale is the smaller one? Because I watched a video of it being assembled, and it is disappointingly small. Is that 1/144?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFB_NvF2RN4

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    At the end of this video, the guy is comparing two kits. What scale is the smaller one? Because I watched a video of it being assembled, and it is disappointingly small. Is that 1/144?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFB_NvF2RN4

1/144's are about five to six inches tall.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Small kit is 1/144

Larger kit is 1/100

I prefer small kits like 1/144.

But if large kits are you thing....

1fa910266bef6bddefa351a798902ef9.jpg

The guy on the right, the Nightingale, is pretty epic.

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    CcRTY5IUEAASC_A.jpg

i did some panel lining, too. it was my first time and at first i thought the lines would be too dark and noisy

but now that it's all lined it looks pretty nice

also the instructions it's standing on is my next kit

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    CcRTY5IUEAASC_A.jpg

i did some panel lining, too. it was my first time and at first i thought the lines would be too dark and noisy

but now that it's all lined it looks pretty nice

also the instructions it's standing on is my next kit

Yeah, the Brewers suits really benefit from panel lining.

And the Montero is an excellent choice. I've built three!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    13f189aad2dad313b9a1835d022b9ce7.jpg
    going purely off aesthetic, here are some suggestions

gundamwise, you might like some of the designs in 00
    like this guy
    1-100-over-flag.jpg

or this guy
    exnop__41QfZWGbSGL.jpg

you might also look into kotobukiya's offerings, though maybe not right away (more expensive n stuff)

Jehuty
    TOY-RBT-1833.jpg

Apparition
    apparition_front4.jpg

Guarlion
    19f42bcc9f73527d23ebfc39c6c2827b.image.500x494.jpg

Astranagant
    6117.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah, 00 has some rad designs, and I can vouch for that first one you recommended (the custom Flag).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    irkh6ev19ydg.jpg

The Dorado is a pretty radical design as well.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    So last week I bought a HGUC Victory 2 Assault Buster online and built it. This is because my Hobbytown's ordering system listed it as discontinued or Out of Production or something. Imagine my surprise when I go in today and find that the store owner has a V2AB waiting for me... and my shame when I tell him that, after he finally got one, I'd already got one from somewhere else.

Now I feel like an ass. :bigfrown:

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Okay, so I have not touched one of these kits since I ruined a Patlabor when I was in high school. I have acquired a bit more patience since then, and I want to try this again.

HOWEVER. . .

I am interested in actually painting these (I have arcrylic paints for miniatures I plan on using), and wanted to know if there are any resources on how to go about this. My main concern would be the primer coat. I have an idea as how to go about it, but if there is a known process I would love to explore an alternative method to what I'm thinking of.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I finally got around to ordering a can of TS-80, a proper Tamiya modeling tool kit, and a trio of Gundam markers to panel line.

Gonna put together the Klim Mick space Jahannam and the Gaeon I've had sitting around for months.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Okay, so I have not touched one of these kits since I ruined a Patlabor when I was in high school. I have acquired a bit more patience since then, and I want to try this again.

HOWEVER. . .

I am interested in actually painting these (I have arcrylic paints for miniatures I plan on using), and wanted to know if there are any resources on how to go about this. My main concern would be the primer coat. I have an idea as how to go about it, but if there is a known process I would love to explore an alternative method to what I'm thinking of.

oh damn you reminded me there are patlabor models

I wanna get some patlabor models

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

HOWEVER. . .

Partially disassemble and prime away. As long as you put a good protective top-coat before you reassemble, it shouldn't be an issue. For pegs, you can cut them on an angle which will let you force the pieces back together later, and insure that they peg won't come loose.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks! I hadn't thought about pegs.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I only trim pegs for something that I want to fill a seam line on. Otherwise I find it easier to just take the pieces off, semi-assemble, and then disassemble the pegged parts and rebuild around the piece they'd fit too. It let's me paint the section of the Gundam as a unit.

• Options
  • Options
    That sure is a lot of tutorials!

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Man, I've found gunpla guides like super complicate things.

Like a good pair of clippers and a craft knife will leave zero nubs, you shouldn't need to sand paper it.

And some painting guides recommend enamel paints, which are literally satan, especially when acrylics work fine.

Or sealing seams with plastic glue and sanding when some green stuff and a sculpting tool are much cleaner and less noticeable.

Even line markers (which are actually super usefull) can be bypassed if you have good brush control. (And if your confident I would, more choice of colours gives better shading)

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, you guys weren't kidding about panel lining. I did some on the Barbatos I'm working on and man, it looks really good!

I'll post photos of everything when I'm all done.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

HOWEVER. . .

PATLABOR! YOU SAID PATLABOR!! I AM EXCITE!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

HOWEVER. . .

PATLABOR!! YOU SAID PATLA-

okay I'll stop now, my love of Patlabor should not be forced upon others, that's not nice.

I wonder, would it be alright to post pictures of metal model kits from Star Wars in this lovely Gundam thread?

• Options

HOWEVER. . .

PATLABOR!! YOU SAID PATLA-

okay I'll stop now, my love of Patlabor should not be forced upon others, that's not nice.

I wonder, would it be alright to post pictures of metal model kits from Star Wars in this lovely Gundam thread?

Do it!

• Options
    I shall! I just have to finish ruining oops I mean attempting to build this X-Wing then I will snap some photos. But first, bed.

• Options
    Schwalbe Graze completed! Not a bad way to spend $15 bucks.

cvkvo2pt1wsq.jpg

As expected, it's a fairly small compared to some of the other stuff on my shelf. Seems like the 1/100 scale is closer to a Transformers Voyager/Masterpiece. But that's okay! I bought this to get a sense of what it's like to put one of these together. It's a lot of fun, this model in particular is mostly dark gray and blue so I don't think it'd benefit much from panel lining. I also didn't wash the pieces, but that's more a concern if you're planning to paint I think?

The kit does seem quite a bit better quality than the last one I did, but I shouldn't be surprised. I think I'll definitely pick up the 1/100 Barbatos next month.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Schwalbe Graze completed! Not a bad way to spend $15 bucks.

cvkvo2pt1wsq.jpg

As expected, it's a fairly small compared to some of the other stuff on my shelf. Seems like the 1/100 scale is closer to a Transformers Voyager/Masterpiece. But that's okay! I bought this to get a sense of what it's like to put one of these together. It's a lot of fun, this model in particular is mostly dark gray and blue so I don't think it'd benefit much from panel lining. I also didn't wash the pieces, but that's more a concern if you're planning to paint I think?

The kit does seem quite a bit better quality than the last one I did, but I shouldn't be surprised. I think I'll definitely pick up the 1/100 Barbatos next month.

Yeah, the Wing kits are kind of hot garbage in comparison to even the first HGUCs, let alone modern stuff.

Your first real grade might drive you insane when you see how it works.

I recommend the 00. So nice.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Building the RG Destiny Gundam currently. Damn those things are smooth.

• Options
    Okay, just pretend I wrote about 20 valid excuses for taking so long here and just ignore that I don't actually have a real excuse for why this took so long, but ta-da:

IMG_7204_zpsrdz9o8ko.jpg

IMG_7200_zps7nfzerpx.jpg

IMG_7202_zps4scplxlw.jpg

IMG_7205_zpsldxthtmh.jpg

You can clearly see where I am terribad at making such tiny models, for instance there is one piece of the R2 droid behind the cockpit missing because it broke off as I was trying to make that piece connect to the piece that connects it to the underside of the cockpit top shell. Two of the engine exhausts are mounted upside down because I didn't read the instructions closely enough and fitted the top left nacelle where the bottom right should be and vice-versa!

There's also my apparent total inability to use a DSLR...

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Something that tiny would drive me just right up a wall.
    Says the battleship modeller.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Something that tiny would drive me just right up a wall.
    Says the battleship modeller.

05gitcgrdg06.jpeg

Speaking of tiny models, I finished this years ago now and I really need to get around to buying a display box for it.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    What is this, a model for ants?

No seriously how do you make stuff this tiny? Tweezers?

• Options
    We can go smaller!

Tiny-Sculptors-Of-The-Size-Of-Sewing-Needle-Pin-Head-110.jpg

• Options
    I went to see a Willard Wigan show many years back

they had these awesome glass dome enclosures with little magnification lenses for each piece

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    What is this, a model for ants?

No seriously how do you make stuff this tiny? Tweezers?

It actually wasn't that bad! The most difficult part was scoring the little folks to articulate them without dismembering them.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The little folks? Like, you made Peter Dinklage make it for you?

It puts the cockpit in, or it gets the hose again!

Heffling on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    20160302_123511_zpslsltbok8.jpg

That is uh... that is a bit larger of a box.

What have I gotten myself into...

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    You've gotten yourself into the one HGUC that beats out the V2 AB for title of "Too Much Stuff".

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Just ordered the 1/100 Over Flag. I've seen some reviews that suggest it's got some issues, but the aesthetics are just too cool for me to pass up.

Edit: Also, I guess scale/grade aren't directly related? The review I saw said this wasn't a Master Grade kit, but it's definitely 1/100.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yep, not all grades and scales match up like that. The 1/100 Iron Blooded Orphans kits are good examples. They are No Grade, even though they're 1/100.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What do people think of those One Piece ship models? I've been eyeing up a few and they look pretty cool to me.

This discussion has been closed.