As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloodborne] Woeful sanity, have audience with cosmos

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Speaking of those brain bastards on that bridge, I kept running along their path, went down a bit, and found a gate down at the end of it that I couldn't unlock...any hints?
    You can find the key in the area you fought Micolash.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Speaking of those brain bastards on that bridge, I kept running along their path, went down a bit, and found a gate down at the end of it that I couldn't unlock...any hints?

It's in the second section past the first spiral stair-case with the boss guarding Mergo's Landing: Middle (you should figure who I'm talking about).

Basically in that second large section, there should be a series of stairways leading down, to a huge foggy area, at the end of the foggy hallway is a mirror and to the left of it is a key to that door.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    BTW, regarding wearing item discovery gear to get chunks, it's probably worthless to do so.

If item discovery works the same way in this as other souls games, and it probably does, it just increases the chance for drops, not increase the chance for rare drops.

I'm pretty sure the best chunk farm is the werewolves in upper cathedral ward, but even then I don't think item discovery will help because they have a guaranteed drop rate of either twin shard or chunk.

Also, some late game crystal lizards drop chunks. I had enough chunks to fully upgrade my Ludwig and a Hunter's axe without any additional farming, though the Ludwig is the only weapon I really use and it's my only +10. My gun is still only +6 because frankly if you're not bloodtinge upgrading your gun is pretty pointless. It's just a parry button.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    BTW, regarding wearing item discovery gear to get chunks, it's probably worthless to do so.

If item discovery works the same way in this as other souls games, and it probably does, it just increases the chance for drops, not increase the chance for rare drops.

I'm pretty sure the best chunk farm is the werewolves in upper cathedral ward, but even then I don't think item discovery will help because they have a guaranteed drop rate of either twin shard or chunk.

Also, some late game crystal lizards drop chunks. I had enough chunks to fully upgrade my Ludwig and a Hunter's axe without any additional farming, though the Ludwig is the only weapon I really use and it's my only +10. My gun is still only +6 because frankly if you're not bloodtinge upgrading your gun is pretty pointless. It's just a parry button.

SIR YOU HAVE AN INSUFFICENT AMOUNT OF AMERICA YOU SHOULD GET THAT CHECKED OUT.

But seriously, if you're near the requirements to use the Cannon? You USE THE CANNON. +9 or +10 with Bone Ash gives you REAL TALK bullet damage.

It's not as much overal as, like a pure Tinge build. But against bosses that can't be parried it's REAL TALK damage and is way better than just using those bullets on nothing.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    A certain optional boss is HUGELY vulnerable to firearm damage to his head. Like a pistol does 100 per shot with low bloodtinge. I wonder if the cannon with bone ash would annihilate him.
    It's Amygdala.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    A certain optional boss is HUGELY vulnerable to firearm damage to his head. Like a pistol does 100 per shot with low bloodtinge. I wonder if the cannon with bone ash would annihilate him.
    It's Amygdala.

Yes it does. I had +4 cannon and it still enough that it made say holy shit. Promptly upgrade to +9 , did the same to E, DotC. Obliteration.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

Wait, you're saying those WW's always drop an item, or that IF they do it's one of those two options? If the latter, then Discovery should increase the chance that it happens overall.

• Options
    So I finished nightmare
    Went back to hunter's dream and it's burning. Doll say gerhman is waiting. Now I accidentally got spoiled that he's a boss fight. Question on if he's a final boss? I don't want to be spoiled on more things but I don't want to get dumped into ng+ like DS.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Suneater wrote: »
    So I finished nightmare
    Went back to hunter's dream and it's burning. Doll say gerhman is waiting. Now I accidentally got spoiled that he's a boss fight. Question on if he's a final boss? I don't want to be spoiled on more things but I don't want to get dumped into ng+ like DS.

Answer to your question.
    He is indeed the final boss.

• Options
    So I finished nightmare

Answer to your question.

Thanks. Gonna go explore around before doing that.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Late bossname-spoiler.
    The Moon Presence is a metal name.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Woeful sanity, have audience with President

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQmqL49Qaw

Minor spoilers, but mostly goofy fun.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Fawst wrote: »

Wait, you're saying those WW's always drop an item, or that IF they do it's one of those two options? If the latter, then Discovery should increase the chance that it happens overall.

Saying that Werewolves have 100% chance to drop an item. Common = twin, rare = chunk. So if discovery works the way it did in other souls games then it's not going to help you. Now against Gargoyles, who I don't think have 100% drop rate, discovery would increase their chance of dropping SOMETHING, but assuming common = twin and rare = chunk on them too then you're still only increasing your chance of getting a chunk by the same amount that you're increasing your chance to get a twin.

Basically, there's no free lunch and your best bet is to just kill werewolves if you're chunk farming. But then again, discovery COULD be tied to rare items instead of just items in general in Bloodborne. We just don't know.

• Options

SIR YOU HAVE AN INSUFFICENT AMOUNT OF AMERICA YOU SHOULD GET THAT CHECKED OUT.

But seriously, if you're near the requirements to use the Cannon? You USE THE CANNON. +9 or +10 with Bone Ash gives you REAL TALK bullet damage.

It's not as much overal as, like a pure Tinge build. But against bosses that can't be parried it's REAL TALK damage and is way better than just using those bullets on nothing.

1) I have an addiction to melee, so using the cannon to kill a boss is analogous to spamming spells in other Souls games to kill a boss, and it just ain't my thing.

2) I had only 25 str/25 skill through my entire NG playthrough for based Ludwig scaling, and thus could not use the cannon anyway.

By NG+ and now NG++ I could've used the cannon, but I like parrying with my ludwig rifle and on bosses I like parrying and just meleeing.

• Options

Saying that Werewolves have 100% chance to drop an item. Common = twin, rare = chunk. So if discovery works the way it did in other souls games then it's not going to help you. Now against Gargoyles, who I don't think have 100% drop rate, discovery would increase their chance of dropping SOMETHING, but assuming common = twin and rare = chunk on them too then you're still only increasing your chance of getting a chunk by the same amount that you're increasing your chance to get a twin.

Basically, there's no free lunch and your best bet is to just kill werewolves if you're chunk farming. But then again, discovery COULD be tied to rare items instead of just items in general in Bloodborne. We just don't know.

Wow, I guess I missed that when killing those guys, or it just didn't register. I'll check that out tonight instead of running the castle.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don't have this yet, can I create a character that looks like Hellboy?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So I finished nightmare

Answer to your question.

You are terrible.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    It's admirable that you guys care about spoilers to this game, considering there is barely even a skeleton of a plot or any semblance of writing.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I think your missing the point.
    While I grant you if this was your standard Third person game, the character would have some kind of backstory, more specific notes and items and characters you found would explain whats going on in small bits vauge enough to establish a narrative.

However, The way this game has been designed, and what we know of the story, the fact that you have no backstory, and that your driven by unknown forces for unknown reasons makes perfect sense.

You did not exist until you were dreamed up by the Moon Presence that is an old god. You were given life from that dream to serve its purpose of killing the spawn of its rivals. Why do people play video games? It's a forgone conclusion that its a complete fantasy and overall a pointless activity...but you do it for the experience. In this game you awaken with no memory, only an urge to hunt. To survive. To experience. Once given life you have the potential to turn on your creator and seize his power.

The story is very lovecraftian. its less what it says and its more about what happens. Madness is something you experience, and not something you can really explain to someone. Too much information would take away from the underlining confusion that is part of both you and your in game character, and thus is part of your experience with the game.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Souls-plot is mostly backstory.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    It's admirable that you guys care about spoilers to this game, considering there is barely even a skeleton of a plot or any semblance of writing.

The narrative having to pieced together by a community much like the game mechanics is super rewarding for a lot of folks. There's a lot to work with for those willing to dig in

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    I think your missing the point.
    While I grant you if this was your standard Third person game, the character would have some kind of backstory, more specific notes and items and characters you found would explain whats going on in small bits vauge enough to establish a narrative.

However, The way this game has been designed, and what we know of the story, the fact that you have no backstory, and that your driven by unknown forces for unknown reasons makes perfect sense.

You did not exist until you were dreamed up by the Moon Presence that is an old god. You were given life from that dream to serve its purpose of killing the spawn of its rivals. Why do people play video games? It's a forgone conclusion that its a complete fantasy and overall a pointless activity...but you do it for the experience. In this game you awaken with no memory, only an urge to hunt. To survive. To experience. Once given life you have the potential to turn on your creator and seize his power.

The story is very lovecraftian. its less what it says and its more about what happens. Madness is something you experience, and not something you can really explain to someone. Too much information would take away from the underlining confusion that is part of both you and your in game character, and thus is part of your experience with the game.
    I agree with most of what you say in terms of why the story in Souls games is still cool, but I disagree that the moon presence dreamed up your character. My understanding of our background is we came from another land, cursed, seeking the healing blood of Yharnam.

If the dream stuff you mention is RE: the "Gehrman kills you" ending, I don't think that's waking you up from a dream in which the stuff you did in the game was the dream, just cutting you off from the Hunter's dream itself which is the power that lets you keep respawning when you die and continuing the hunt.

When you wake up in that ending, you're now just like Djura or one of the other hunters who can no longer access the dream so will stay dead if you die, but you're still just in Yharnam or wherever else in the world. Even Eileen's lore tells you that the hunters of hunters mission is to kill hunters in Yharnam that can no longer dream in the hope that when they give them their special foreign land burial they will return to the skies in the hunter's dream(basically they turn the hunter's dream into a sort of heaven in their minds).

• Options
    I'll be the first to admit that you have to co-author the fiction of the Souls games to a certain extent, and even the parts that are clearly there you have to seek out.

But that doesn't change the fact that the stories of the Souls games and Bloodborne are some of the most memorable of all time to me. Like, Dragon Age: Inquisition is like 60 hours of cutscenes and party member dialogue, and I love Bioware games, but choosing to tell your narrative that way instead of the Souls way does not make your story automatically more interesting. That game and most games like it are far LESS memorable to me than the stories of Boletaria, Lordran, and Yharnam.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Spoilers for Bloodborne (and most games) are not about plot, but about setpieces and encounters for me.

For example the ship level in Uncharted 3. The whole ship rolling over thing got spoiled at a prior E3. It made my playthrough of Uncharted 3 decidedly less amazing. That being said, it made my E3 experience decidedly more amazing. As a E3 enthusiast, looking at the whole event as a sort of Christmas where-in I get to unpack all the games I'm going to play sometime soon, that's a fair trade-off.

So yeah, after the initial leaked footage and the first proper trailer I stopped following Bloodborne. I didn't watch any video reviews or anything. When I was like 70% through the game, I thought it would be safe enough to check out a video review or two. Nope. Gamespot's video review spoiled the lecture hall for me, so yeah - that's been shit.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Spoiler-stuff.
    I figured old ones make use of people rather than creating them.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Anyone in the Europe area with a PS4 have a sec to do me a really quick favor? PM me

Thanks!

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

Obviously this is all purely anecdotal and could be completely unrelated, but it definitely seemed like chunks dropped more often with 410 discovery than with 290, which is where I was when I started. I get about 17 for every 20 hunter's warp thingie used. It was close to 14 with the old value.

• Options
    Yeah, it's so hard to test this kind of stuff because who wants to spend the time killing werewolves for 100 hours to get a proper sample size. Maybe somebody will do it eventually.

• Options
    I can easily believe that it uses the same system though

Honestly, aside from the overall aesthetic improvement, the engine in this game seems basically identical to all the previous games. Even the sound effects from rolls and shit are all the same.

I would be unsurprised to learn that all the infrastructure stuff was unchanged.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I love that things like certain sounds are used between games. For instance (sound spoiler, lol)
    the chime effect of the Mindflayers from Demon's Souls being used in Bloodborne made the hair on my arms raise, no exaggeration. I seriously expected to see one come rushing at me in the first Chalice dungeon.
    To me, it's the equivalent of Stephen King connecting his books together. Shared universe (multiverse?).

Fawst on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Well I was going to do a DEX/Bloodtinge build. Then I found the Old Hunter's Bone. I think I can sprinkle a little Arcane in too...

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I love that things like certain sounds are used between games. For instance (sound spoiler, lol)
    the chime effect of the Mindflayers from Demon's Souls being used in Bloodborne made the hair on my arms raise, no exaggeration. I seriously expected to see one come rushing at me in the first Chalice dungeon.
    To me, it's the equivalent of Stephen King connecting his books together. Shared universe (multiverse?).

Putting this comedy in spoilers only because it has some story related stuff in it:
    "True" ending is the doll taking care of you as an infant great one? You might even say like an old one? She's going to feed you a bottle of insight and put you down to sleep. Then what are you? A slumbering old one.

Doll has the same voice actress as maiden in black. 2 games, 2 slumbering great ones lulled to sleep by the same voice actress.

Bloodborne and Demon's Souls same universe confirmed.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I can easily believe that it uses the same system though

Honestly, aside from the overall aesthetic improvement, the engine in this game seems basically identical to all the previous games. Even the sound effects from rolls and shit are all the same.

I would be unsurprised to learn that all the infrastructure stuff was unchanged.
    apparently even the number of echoes spent per level gain is directly held over from DS1

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Holy wow Forbidden Forest was long. Boss was a doddle at least. Put off the following area to explore the tonsil stone a bit and
    Oh Amygdala, Amygdala!

Well that all just got weird

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Not sure how I did it the first time, but the Paarl fight is pissing me off. Big time. And not at ALL in a fun way. Locking on is pointless, but if you don't lock on Quick-Evading doesn't work so well (rolling to dodge his attacks are kind of crap).

No wait I know how I beat him. . .actually found the place before I was heading to NG+ and just destroyed him. Bleah.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Why do people play video games? It's a forgone conclusion that its a complete fantasy and overall a pointless activity...but you do it for the experience. In this game you awaken with no memory, only an urge to hunt. To survive. To experience.

Pacman 9/10

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Not sure how I did it the first time, but the Paarl fight is pissing me off. Big time. And not at ALL in a fun way. Locking on is pointless, but if you don't lock on Quick-Evading doesn't work so well (rolling to dodge his attacks are kind of crap).

No wait I know how I beat him. . .actually found the place before I was heading to NG+ and just destroyed him. Bleah.

he is the easiest fight in the game if you know the trick.

the trick is to hit him in the leg until he falls down, and then do that some more.

also saw weapons do a bit of extra damage to him because he is definitely a beast.

• Options
    Yeah Paarl sucks if you fight him the normal way but is definitely
    the most easily staggered boss in the game by a country mile

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Guess who just killed
    Gehrman

I did.

That speedy motherfucker.

Died to him twice yesterday, grinded blood vials today, and went after him. Prey Slaughtered.
    And then I got the Moon Presence down to a third of it's health before it knocked the shit out of me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Finally sat down and played again today.
    Beat Micolash. Likely could have killed him on the first try today if I hadn't gotten killed by the little crossbow guy because I wasn't really paying attention to him. Also beat the Celestial Emissary, he was insanely easy, and I felt like I should have maybe fought him way earlier. So now I have four choices: Ebrietas, Mergo, Logarius, or finally do the Nightmare Frontier. Ebrietas just seems awful, and I'm pretty sure every attack she does can one shot me.
    v0PwJG0.jpg