As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daredevil] is a Man Without A Tv Show

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh god second episode

With the eye

D:

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Everyone in the first few episodes , that clenching you keep doing? Just stop wasting effort relaxing that muscle, you're gonna need it well toned as you get going.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Ok, series, that was definitely a fitting place to use your F-bomb

• Options
    Minor complaint with the second episode:

At the start of the fight scene guy with a gun just changes aim and misses for no apparent reason.

But then it was followed by the rest of that scene so I'm not especially bugged by it.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

At the start of the fight scene guy with a gun just changes aim and misses for no apparent reason.

But then it was followed by the rest of that scene so I'm not especially bugged by it.

Forget if I'm thinking of same scene, but doesn't the aim change cause he's hit by a thrown baton?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Episode 7:
    Nice to see they're not shying away from (what I assume is) Hand mysticism.

Curious to see what the story is there.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    On episode 2 now.

So far, all of my dicks.

I'm really starting to notice the choreography in fights. I like this so far, there's a lot of kinetic movement, and it's not slowed down too much so it feels fast, and precise.

I also really think that Cross is amazing as Daredevil and Murdock. I think that he nails it.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    And now the compound fracture in the bowling alley.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJd6aCtiVOM

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

Forget if I'm thinking of same scene, but doesn't the aim change cause he's hit by a thrown baton?

I skipped back a couple times and couldn't see anything. I might just not be catching it. Though either way it's a phenomenal fight.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Ep 12
    Bahaha, are they seriously making the old Chinese lady some crazy kung-fu master? That's fucking hilarious.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    I like how the Kingpin seems to be constantly unhinged and holding himself back from going crazy on people in the nearest vicinity.

The comic book version would probably slowly step back and tell this guy "oh...you're out of your tits."

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I like how the Kingpin seems to be constantly unhinged and holding himself back from going crazy on people in the nearest vicinity.

The comic book version would probably slowly step back and tell this guy "oh...you're out of your tits."

Kingpin has never suffered fools gladly.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Kingpin has never suffered fools gladly.
    True but I always took him to be a guy that gives off a vibe of pure class and control despite how menacing he is.

This Fisk comes across as a demon trying to keep his man skin suit from tearing because he desperately wants to blend in. Like he's constantly troubled.

I kind of feel for the guy in a way I didn't really expect to.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Theories on something in ep 11-12
    Old Chinese lady said she's from somewhere much farther away than China, and has crazy kungfu (apparently). Her heroin brand was also called Steel Serpent. I'm not the most knowledgeable on Iron Fist, but isn't Steel Serpent one of his villains? Is it possible that Gao will tie into Iron Fist somehow?

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Episode 7:
    Nice to see they're not shying away from (what I assume is) Hand mysticism.

Curious to see what the story is there.

yeah, i'm guessing this is what will tie the 4 character shows together and lead to the eventual team up.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Ep8

Oh god...that white dress.

Who is this actress?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Another thing I love about this so far. The lighting. That fight in ep 2, the light is almost always behind everyone, so they are just dark man shapes with no faces.

The low lighting seems to be trying to take your sight away as much as possible. I've started really trying to listen rather than see. Because a lot of it is really dark movement.

Such atmosphere.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Episode 4:

I really like how awkwardly human Fisk is.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Limiting myself to just two episodes today, but regarding the end of episode 2:
    My favorite part is the kid just somberly reviewing the trail of destruction leading to his cell. You can see the gears turning in his little head.

Wow, he beat the hell out of these guys.

• Options
    The kid who played
    young Wilson

broke my heart. Give that poor kid an emmy.

• Options
    Reference to another classic DD character in episode 10:
    Elektra was Matt's girlfriend in college just like the comics.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Come onnnnnn. Just waiting for my wife to get home so we can eat these tacos and watch Daredevil and damnit life is good.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    First episode impressions:
    • Cold open, cool. Matt's actor is good, so that's a plus.
    • That dude on the dock is just eating a sandwich while these girls are getting packed away? What?
    • Whoa, how the hell did he ricochet that?
    • Wow, I don't think I like Foggy that much.
    • Oh cool, Deborah Ann Woll already.
    • Ow, eye gouge.
    • Well, she sure filled her side boob quota super early.
    • And is super stupid, nobody lies to a blind man!
    • Only cool villains meet at night on a rooftop.
    • This is written after Avengers? Awesome.
    • Damn, that assassin guy is brutal.
    • Okay, creepy flashback. Was that just like in his head and his dad is dead? Or did that actually happen and they just let a boxer go home with half his cheek exposed instead of giving him medical attention?
    • This fight choreography is really nice.
    • Get wrecked, assassin guy.
    • Deborah's now a permanent secretary? Sweet.
    • Oh nice, a montage.
    • Shit, it's over?
    • Oh thank god, it's Netflix.
    Yeah, show gives off a great first impression. I don't really like Foggy that much, if at all. I dunno, like you open with Matt's super cold crying scene in a church and it's like "Damn, I can see how he landed the lead.". Then you cut to Foggy after credits, and it's like "Oh... well. Huh." I guess I can't make a judgement after only an episode. I love how they're portraying his super powers, and how gritty it's written. Cinematography looks really nice and it's playing out well. Overall, show seems good. I'm excited to watch the rest of the season.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Man, episode 1 was fucking awesome. Love the glacial reveal of Kingpin.

• Options
    If we have to wait two years for Defenders to finish up before we get a second season, theres going to be hell to pay.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Holy shit Daredevil is fast. Like, Grendel or Ozymandias levels of fast. Still gets hit, though, which is nice to see.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Also, holy hell, someone give the sound editing guys on this show a giant raise. The sound design is straight up amazing and there is no way it doesn't totally lock down the sound editing Emmy.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Holy shit Daredevil is fast. Like, Grendel or Ozymandias levels of fast. Still gets hit, though, which is nice to see.

Yep. So far after one episode I can deduce that pointing a gun at DD is a good thing to do if you want his to virtually teleport towards you and kick your stupid face in.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Becuase you can never say it enough.....holy shit.

ep12
    Karen lit Wesley the fuck up. Jesus.

"you think this is the first time I've shot somebody?"

Cold blooded.

• Options
    well the quickly escalated from 'i'll watch a couple of episodes to see how it is' to my entire Friday being devoured. and i have absolutely no regrets about that.

damn that was good!!

i was optimistic going in, both Marvel and Netflix have been doing great work, but i'm honestly surprised by just how much i enjoyed that. this is certainly a side of the MCU that we haven't seen before, but its one that i want to see more of.

episode 13
    that was a phenomenal finale. everything from Frisk getting arrested through to his and Matt's confrontation was especially well done.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Only saw episode 1, it's rough but there's promise.

-The "I can't see!" is unintentionally funny
    -Charlie Cox plays a good Matt. Shave the stubble you hippie, maybe be more ginger, but other than that he's believable in both sides of his life.
    -The opening fight is very good
    -The reason for Hell's Kitchen being non gentrified is simple, smart, and quickly referenced the MCU, that's the kind of touch and go continuity I like. Nothing more, nothing less. Perfect
    -Foggy is supposed to be loveable and good hearted but aloof, not smart alecky and worrying about money (future plot point stab in the back almost guaranteed). Fulton Reedwas better as a Bash Brother.
    -The Karen story and basically all the detaining stuff made the show hit a damn wall of boring. Hard. She's hamming it up like this is some weak ABC drama as opposed to free reign Netflix (even though this is ABC studios, I know).
    -Matt's apartment and the explanation was nice, and a smart way to keep the budget low for a commonly used area.
    -All the Kingpin and mob stuff was great. Don't be dicks about not showing Mandarin in subtitles, you're not being arty or mysterious, last I checked this was America, dammit.
    -The final fight felt very choreographed, and very much "I punch you then you run here" A to B to C.Seeing the flips and stuff mid fight is cool but it's sort of isolated sound and fury signifying nothing
    -The final montage was really good, Matt using the punching is much better than that loser Cap breaking punching bags because he's so upset people like Iron Man more than him

In all, the lead is solid, the supporting cast on Matt's side has yet to win me over, the mob stuff is really good (seems like they're making Turk more menacing and evil than in the comics), but even for being the "pilot" even though it was a guaranteed 13 episodes, it feels cheap, as though everything is a set, outside of that initial park blackmail scene. And there really needs to be a radar sense or something on screen, the heartbeat thing didn't click with me. Borrow something from Phoenix Wright and show during Matt's "interrogations" the heartbeat onscreen. It can't be harder than hologram displays popping up here and there.

I'll probably get one more episode in tonight, but compared to Agents of SHIELD I'm not bored out of my fucking mind here, I can see the good right away. Too bad Matt can't a Bullseye (double zing!)

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Don't be dicks about not showing Mandarin in subtitles, you're not being arty or mysterious, last I checked this was America, dammit.

Pfft

I don't see the problem

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Me and Lady Raven just finished episode 2.

This show is already fantastic. If Marvel wants to reboot Howard the Duck as a Jerry Springer style audience show, I will fully support them, having seen what they are capable of doing with their old busted failed stuff.

DAT

HALLWAY

FIGHT

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    All dem fite is pretty gud.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Don't be dicks about not showing Mandarin in subtitles, you're not being arty or mysterious, last I checked this was America, dammit.

the MCU obviously has a deep seeded problem with Mandarin. :P

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh my God breakthrough:

SHE WASN'T SPEAKING MANDARIN AT ALL, she's not even chinese!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I want Madame Gao to be my new grandma.

She's pretty badass.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Good on rookie cop in episode six.

I know it's technically bad that it happened but that was the smart/good move.

• Options
    WTF, Daredevil?

Episode 12:
    Can't believe they actually had the balls to kill off poor Ben Urich in the first season.

Really great take on him too.

• Options
    I suspect that at least one tenth of this show's screen time is dedicated to Murdock face down on the ground regretting recent decisions.