As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A new Bloodborne threa-ah fuck I died

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Apparently being level 234 means no one can coop with me in Bloodborne. Color me annoyed.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Considering the community decided on like level 120 for pvp stuff I'm not suprised

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Say whaaaaat? When and how did they settle on level 120?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    120 was the pvp meta for Dark Souls 1, and Bloodborne builds require even fewer stats per character than that game, so I'm sure that's where some of that came from.

234 is definitely high though. On my character that I finished NG and NG+ on, I stopped in NG+ to grind souls hard to get to 50/50 STR/SKL and I think i'm still only about SL190 on that character. I think you can still co-op with anybody as long as you use the same password though, in case you're trying to matchmake with people you know.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    What are you even leveling at that point

Almost everything isn't worth bothering leveling past 50

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    What are you even leveling at that point

Almost everything isn't worth bothering leveling past 50

Levelling deez nutz, son

• Options
    edited June 2015
    More specifically, levelling my combat stats to 99 each and hoping the DLC for the game offers some better high level stuff than it does currently

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am loving Scholar just to absolute death, this really does feel like a more legit version of the same game I played when it was released. It's not even really a ball buster like I was expecting, the altered enemy placement can definitely shit you up but overall I'd definitely say the game is easier just because of the new plethora of NPC summons

Also I think playing Bloodborne made me way better at Dark Souls, I am clowning bosses and PvP just with being a madly mobile lunatic

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuck, Father Gascoigne kicked my shit in

His little trick at 1/4 health took me off guard. I was doing so well, too!

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah Gascoinge is a real pain but if you play super conservative you should be able to finish him off. Just wait till he's in between combos, dodge in, attack twice (not more), and dodge out. Don't get greedy and you should be fine.

Last time I fought him I couldn't even use the music box he was so aggressive. I had to beat him straight up.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I haven't found the music box, mainly because I'm afraid of the sewers.

I hate the sewers so much, you guys

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    More specifically, levelling my combat stats to 99 each and hoping the DLC for the game offers some better high level stuff than it does currently

It'll offer higher level stuff but I 100% guarantee you nothing will require over 50

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Weird thing just came up in Scholar

I'm revisiting the Shaded Woods to talk to Creighton to advance his and Pate's story, and for some reason the invisible rogues are fully visible to me now, instead of looking foggy (like ghosts).

Is this a glitch, or did I do something and not realize it?

edit: ah, it was the eye of the priestess effect.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    YESSSS, take THAT Father Gascoigne! Turns out I should have been using all those Molotov cocktails the game kept littering my path with.
    Aaaand found the girl's mother. :c Gave the girl her brooch, and now she's sobbing uncontrollably.

Also I'm trying not to judge by appearances or anything, but, er... I dunno about this guy in the temple asking me to send innocent people his way.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Church guy spoilers:
    Nah, he's cool. It's who you send there you need to be careful about. (refugee spoiler follows)
    Specifically a dude surrounded by corpses in a forest.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Church guy spoilers:
    Nah, he's cool. It's who you send there you need to be careful about. (refugee spoiler follows)
    All right I'll trust church dude then... and I'll send corpse guy to Iosefka. I SUPER don't trust her, she can deal with whatever that guy has to dish out

Guys this game is so good

• Options
    All right my Bloodborne veterans, got a stats question

I really only use my shotgun to stagger and get those sweet visceral attacks. Is it necessary to upgrade my shotgun then, if I'm not really using it for damage? Or do enemies later take more damage in order to stun?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    All right my Bloodborne veterans, got a stats question

I really only use my shotgun to stagger and get those sweet visceral attacks. Is it necessary to upgrade my shotgun then, if I'm not really using it for damage? Or do enemies later take more damage in order to stun?

Nope, you're good

• Options
    Awesome, thanks Speed!

• Options
    Don't be afraid to upgrade it a little if you want to though. Bloodstone shards are not hard to come by

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    also if you're just using the gun for staggering, experiment with a few other guns, some of them have a quicker shot that you'll find it easier to stagger on reaction with

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Weirdest thing was using the shottie all NG, switching to the pistol for NG2 and not noticing any real change, then switching back to the shottie for NG+ (specifically to deal with Chikage hunter cos I kept missing him) and being all "Whoa, this thing is hella slow".

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I'll pick up one of the other guns next time I have a few extra echoes, then, just to play around.

Might sell back the threaded cane I picked up... I'm maining the sawblade, and the threaded cane just seems so slow and clunky in comparison. Good reach, and awesome trick animation though.

• Options
    There's really no reason to sell anything. You'll get plenty of echoes as you move on.

• Options
    That's good to know! I'm pretty early on, and it feels like I'm pretty short on echoes at the moment.

• Options
    You're going to be swimming in them soon enough. There's not much in the game that is worth selling really

• Options
    Upgrading an Evelynn to +10 and specializing in Bloodtinge and Skill will allow you to fuck with people's Christmas in PvP (Skill because Blades of Mercy is the best PvP weapon in the game).

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Weirdest thing was using the shottie all NG, switching to the pistol for NG2 and not noticing any real change, then switching back to the shottie for NG+ (specifically to deal with Chikage hunter cos I kept missing him) and being all "Whoa, this thing is hella slow".

I got a very sharp version of this.

I never got that good at parrying early on. Used the shotgun, used it a little, didn't like the trial and error of it. Mid-way through my first playthrough I said "I should try a bigger gun that does better damage as my parry doesn't get used as much. Ludwig's Rifle is all I've got here... let's try that!". Then later, "Man! Late game parrying is so hard!"

Then on my second character I picked up the pistol and it was like my character lost a hundred pounds or something. A world of difference. Ludwig's Rifle is so bad you guys. So slow. Not great damage. I don't get it.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »
    wow, martyr logarius is the first boss that was a straight up wall that i hit. i struggled so mu
    rhylith wrote: »
    Church guy spoilers:
    All right I'll trust church dude then... and I'll send corpse guy to Iosefka. I SUPER don't trust her, she can deal with whatever that guy has to dish out

Guys this game is so good

Heheheh. ..

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    My experience of parrying with shotguns tends towards this outcome: fire shotgun, hear parry sound. Creature starts to drop into prone position and then, halfway down, just pops right back up and starts swinging.

• Options
    Yeah I switched to the pistol at the thread's suggestion and it's WAY better. So fast!

So question about the threaded cane-- I picked it up with some extra echoes, but have only messed around with it. Seems a little slow, although thrashing enemies with a whip is pretty fun... is it worth upgrading?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    If you plan on building you character's stats in a way that matches the cane (I think it's mostly skill-based) then it's worth upgrading a bit, yes. The crowd control of whip form is really good and the R2 for whip has nice reach and hit stun. Cane form is pretty fast and I believe it has the lowest stamina usage in the game so you get really good lock down on it.

Cane form is a great starting weapon because it can rush down 100-0 most basic enemies even if you have low stamina.

Butters on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah I switched to the pistol at the thread's suggestion and it's WAY better. So fast!

So question about the threaded cane-- I picked it up with some extra echoes, but have only messed around with it. Seems a little slow, although thrashing enemies with a whip is pretty fun... is it worth upgrading?

My pistol shot would CONSTANTLY miss monsters over and over that were right in front of me. I even saw it happening in youtube vids and other people started complaining about it too in the G&T thread. I switched to shotgun and it never happened again. I think the end of the pistol was clipping through the monster or something.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

My pistol shot would CONSTANTLY miss monsters over and over that were right in front of me. I even saw it happening in youtube vids and other people started complaining about it too in the G&T thread. I switched to shotgun and it never happened again. I think the end of the pistol was clipping through the monster or something.

Yes, in a way.

it's the firing position.

Shotty is always from the hip, while the pistol you actually extend your arm.

If you're too close the gun will actually clip into the mob and completly miss the mobs hitbox, since, you know, the gun is inside them.

• Options
    There's definitely give and take with either weapon. The pistol does more damage and recovers far faster while the blunderbuss stuns more reliably with slower recovery.

I personally think pistols are better but you can make the shotguns work.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    In Souls terms,

Pistol = parrying dagger
    Shotgun = plain ass kite shield

There's a little more intricacy to it with the shot spread and what not, but that's the gist. It's really not hard to parry with either of them, but one is easier than the other.

I played my entire NG and NG+ runs with Ludwig's Rifle because I'm a Ludwig ass mofo with his sword too, and parrying was fine and easy. Pistol's definitely a bit easier but it's not big enough for me to care. I'd use pistol on a tinge character because it can do actual damage from longer range, but as a parry tool, I can use either without thinking about it.

• Options
    Haven't gotten any Ludwig stuff yet, I'm still pretty early on.

One thing I do appreciate about the game is that (so far at least) the weapons are all pretty dang affordable. I don't feel too cagey about just buying the newest thing at the shop, trying it out, and either deciding to carry on with it or let it gather dust.

The most expensive item I've come across is the key to the Cathedral ward!
    Vicar Amelia kicked my ass pretty thoroughly on my first try. She's my third boss, and I'm beginning to wonder if I may have tackled her out of order. Still gonna try and take her down though!

Not asking for tips as I want to try and work it out for myself. Just sharing!

• Options
    The cost of upgrading does ramp up considerably. The rarity of tier 1 to 2 bone shards is pretty significant.

The tier 1 shards drop like candy though in a couple areas so it's not expensive to get a bunch of weapons up to +3 and see which ones you like the most.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am really liking how bountiful upgrade materials are in Scholar, it's huge whiplash from Bloodborne.

Basically, I really liked Bloodborne but man do I love the Soulses

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Haven't gotten any Ludwig stuff yet, I'm still pretty early on.

One thing I do appreciate about the game is that (so far at least) the weapons are all pretty dang affordable. I don't feel too cagey about just buying the newest thing at the shop, trying it out, and either deciding to carry on with it or let it gather dust.

The most expensive item I've come across is the key to the Cathedral ward!
    Vicar Amelia kicked my ass pretty thoroughly on my first try. She's my third boss, and I'm beginning to wonder if I may have tackled her out of order. Still gonna try and take her down though!

Not asking for tips as I want to try and work it out for myself. Just sharing!

not a tip on how to beat the boss per se but
    there's another direction you can go in the cathedral ward that leads to a whole new area and another boss, who's "supposed" to be tackled third

they're not really any easier than Amelia though, and strictly speaking the entire area is optional. All beating it does from a critical path perspective is it opens up the gate for free but you already bought the key so that doesn't matter