As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A new Bloodborne threa-ah fuck I died

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Also I am now rocking some sweet Crowfeather gear and looking rad. It wasn't as good against arcane, but I still managed to roundly thump that fucker
    Logarius
    after getting my ass handed to me a dozen times.

Some might think it was the fifteen levels I gained in the interim.

But I know it was because I was looking so, so rad.

Did you put on his cool hat and walk through the wall?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I did! And got the thing! And gave it to the dude who went and did the thing and Jesus fuck dude.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah, dude clearly had some issues...
    You can also go and bring her back to life if you fought Ebrietas. I hated Ebrietas.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah, dude clearly had some issues...
    You can also go and bring her back to life if you fought Ebrietas. I hated Ebrietas.

Worst boss in the game imo.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Ebrietas was another one of those bosses where I tried it once and went "okay haha fuck this".

I'll give it another shot, because I think I've explored everything else in the game aside from the chalice dungeons and whatever lurks in the end game.

I'll probably wear my fancy knight clothes and try to swank her to death. She'll be all "Prepare to die, worm, as I suck your entrails out through your face and dine upon your soul for a thou- wait, wait. Those are some swank fucking pants, dude, where'd you get those? Oh man, I can't fight those pants. I yield, hunky warrior, to you and your epic fashion sense."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I was able to beat her with my tinge build because Evelyn chunks so hard but dodging her charge and dealing with the camera when close up is ridiculous. I don't think a boss should take up that much real estate and do that much damage.

After I beat her for the first time I spent the next week helping others take her and Logarious down because fuck them

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    ebrietas was one of the last things i did before the end of the game so that may explain why i had an easier time with her, but i only died once to not expecting the charge laser attack. despite that my strategy of " stay close and wail on her as hard as i can and hope i kill her before the next laser" worked out the next attempt. i think by that time i had a fully upgraded ludwig's and i put bolt paper on it. i kept with the quick one handed version and just attacked relentlessly.

i also wore swank knight clothes because a note said to fear blood and it has high blood resistance, but the blood attacks are relatively easy to dodge. i'd say the bigger concern is the frenzy they cause if you do get hit. keep some sedatives on you.

• Options
    Frenzy is the absolute worst thing.

I hate frenzy.

Hate it.

• Options
    i was a dumb idiot and gave myself a real hard time running through the beginning of nightmare mensis because for some reason my brain ceased working and didn't think to put on frenzy resist gear/rune or spend my CAPPED INSIGHT. so i was cursing up a storm trying to get by/kill those enemies, trying to stay away from invaders, and conveniently missing the closer lantern all because i was trying to avoid getting frenzied nearly instantly.

whoops.

• Options
    The laser attack is actually easy to dodge if you spot it coming. You basically just sprint in a circle around her and the missiles fall just behind you.

• Options
    also lest we forget
    winter_lantern.jpg

la la laaa la

• Options
    So Ebrietas actually went down like a chump. I just ran in there and wailed R1 with my maxed out Ludwig's and used a vial every now and then. Took her down first try.

I knew my swanky knight pants would work!

Guess it's time for the end game now.

• Options
    glad my strategy worked for you

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Bloodborne: If you're having trouble with a boss remember to ask yourself "how would raving lunatic handle this situation?"

• Options
    A certain semi final boss who I will not name just handed me my ass three times in a row.

It's okay, though, because it is a super rad fight. I think I need some runes to boost my visceral.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    A certain semi final boss who I will not name just handed me my ass three times in a row.

It's okay, though, because it is a super rad fight. I think I need some runes to boost my visceral.

is it the one you had to choose to fight

because yeah he's a fucker

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    That's my favorite fight in the game. So much damn fun.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    That's my favorite fight in the game. So much damn fun.

in a vacuum it's a super cool fight, and i love the scenery around it

but at that point i was super ready to be done with bloodborne and that fight was a massive brick wall between me and the ending so it just sort of ended up annoying me more than anything

• Options
    I don't really ever get sick of Souls games until like hour 150 at the absolute earliest so that wasn't a problem for me.

And even then it is less being sick of them and more just feeling like I'm ready to move onto something else.

• Options
    yeah i wasn't sick of it i was just like, "alright, at the end, let's go!"

and that fight took like three days to get through so by the end i was just more irritated than anything

and to be fair that's partially my fault, i ended up at the endgame a bit underleveled and refused to grind levels for it

• Options
    That's fair, although it is very quick and very easy to get plenty of echoes at the end of the game. It's grinding, but only in the most technical sense. You can get 50 to 80k echoes in about 2 to 3 minutes.

Not that this advise exactly helps you now

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    cuz u bad

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    what is like the recommended level to end the game at? i definitely felt like i was overleveled a bit at 90 something, but i never actually did any intentional grinding.

• Options
    I finished at about 90, and it felt like a reasonable amount of difficulty. I'm kind of a pussy, though, so ymmv.

Thoughts on the end:
    I thought the difficulty balance between Gehrman and Moon Presence was spot on. Gehrman was the tricky one, with Moon Presence being easier such that your momentum carried you through without bogging down.

Loved the mind fuck third ending. Did a good job of recasting everything in the game in a different light.

I also appreciated that it just immediately dumps you back into the game, so now I'm having villagers yell at me about being an outsider and them knowing what I really am, in the context of knowing that I'm apparently the reincarnation of a Great One.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I thought the final boss was literally a victory lap after the 'choose to fight' boss.

It does an attack that will never kill you then sits dead still in recovery and lets you wail on it to death.

And the 'choose to fight' boss was literally a 'are you good at parrying' test.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    It was also a greed test. Can you keep from dishing out those last couple swipes, which will probably get you parried and visceraled?

Incidentally, the burial blade is sick. Great for crowd control.

New Game+ was pretty fun until thought I'd pay my good buddy Cleric Beast a visit. That guy still sucks.

• Options
    The choose to fight boss is incredibly boring if you just parry him.

It's a much more enjoyable and challenging fight if you don't.

• Options
    So I'm more or less done worth this game. Time to get something else, but I fear it may have ruined all other games ever on account of they are not Bloodborne.

How's Dark Souls 2? The visuals on the PS4 version look pretty ghetto by the standards of PS4 games, but I can probably overlook that if it's good enough. The alternative is something like Witcher 3, which I would probably enjoy, but I might miss the whole "smashing my face into a brick wall over and over" vibe from Bloodborne.

Suggestions?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    both dark souls 2 and witcher 3 are good games

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Even though the DS2 graphics aren't as good, the smooth 60 frames per second more than make up for it.

At least I think you get that on PS4.

broken image link
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    you do, but i hear that messed up weapon durability and i don't know if that ever got fixed.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    It did.

broken image link
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    oh, excellent then.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So I'm more or less done worth this game. Time to get something else, but I fear it may have ruined all other games ever on account of they are not Bloodborne.

How's Dark Souls 2? The visuals on the PS4 version look pretty ghetto by the standards of PS4 games, but I can probably overlook that if it's good enough. The alternative is something like Witcher 3, which I would probably enjoy, but I might miss the whole "smashing my face into a brick wall over and over" vibe from Bloodborne.

Suggestions?

What Dark Souls 2 is good at: Sheer variety of playstyles far eclipsing what is in Bloodborne due to having way more stats, weapons, spells, and choices in general. It also had a far more active co-op and pvp community and game mechanics that foster both better, as well as some non-linear choices of what areas to do first. Also, dual wielding is awesome.

What Dark Souls 2 is bad at: Bosses aren't as good as BB or DS1 until you get to the 'DLC' bosses. Enemies stopping their respawn is a stupid mechanic, especially if you're trying to farm a drop from them. Soul Memory is the worst idea for a Souls game in existence and completely and utterly fucks over any semblance of balance for co-op or pvp.

It's a fun game, but it's clearly not as polished as DS1 or BB. It has some neat new ideas and some horrible new ideas.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Suggestions?

I would tell you to take a nice, big cooldown period from Souls games, because DS1 and DS2 are vastly different experiences than Bloodborne.

Using your vibe example.

Bloodborne is a man trying to beat a brick wall to death with his own two hands.

In Dark Souls you are a brick trying to beat a brick wall to death with your brick hands.

• Options
    Yeah, okay, I'll probably go with Witcher. At the speed I play games, that'll probably carry me until DS3 comes out.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    are the controls for bloodborne similar to other souls games?

I'm finally starting to get used to them, but for a while yesterday I kept panic mashing the face buttons forgetting the triggers are the attack buttons

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Witcher will definitely hold you for a long time. If you just focus on the story, you're talking about a 40 or 50 hour game probably. If you do the story-based side quests, which are better stories than most game's main quests, you're looking at a 70-80 hour game. If you do contracts to get paid to kill monsters, 100-120, and if you are foolish enough to play and enjoy Gwent, the card game that's built into the game, just forget about playing another game for the next year. =P

I agree with Transporter about taking a Souls break. After I played Bloodborne a lot, I went back to do a new character on DS2, and I felt like I was playing in molasses. And I've played like 300 hours of the 3 earlier Souls games combined. It's a very different experience and would probably benefit from being away from Bloodborne for a while before you try to get into it.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    They need to release some DLC for Bloodborne. The chalices don't really interest me. What I really dig is finding a new area and just soaking in all the atmosphere, and the sweet rush of finding a shortcut when you're out of vials and three seconds from death. (Okay, to be fair, you are never not three seconds from death.)

Then you stumble across a new boss and you're like, oh, well that's not good, and then something comprised entirely of eyeballs and intestines sprouts a dick through sheer force of will just so it can tear it off and beat you to death with it.

Best WTF boss fight moments:
    Tie between Amygdala ripping off her arms to beat you with, and The One Reborn literally flooding the entire arena with death-vomit.