As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    #9 just had a tire explode on the start finish straight and probably destroyed their hydraulics in the process. They've been death by a thousand cutsed, and #7 and #8 have just been stabbed in the gut.

If Toyota ever comes back to the WEC I'll be amazed. What a disaster. LMP1H is probably going to be a dead class.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    #9 was briefly on fire. How unlucky do you have to be for both car's failures occur on the finish straight just past the pit lane entrance.

A stark reminder it's the 24 hours of Le Mans and not the 12 hour.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Toyota saying they were hit by a car to cause the puncture. I haven't seen an outside video yet but that was my first reaction when I saw the in car.

edit: i dunno. i think i might just pull the ripcord on this race. i can't subject myself to 13 and a half hours of the porsche victory parade after last 2 years. i'm just so gutted :(

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    :(

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Well they had to really work for it in the end! Coming back from 18 laps down and having to snatch the lead back from an LMP2 car with less than an hour to go!

https://wtf1.com/post/porsche-win-from-18-laps-down-in-the-most-bizarre-le-mans-ever-1/

Jazz on
  • Options
    Yea they had to rebuild the hybrid system. The #8 had the same problem but it was an extra 45 minutes to do the rebuild.

The #1 that was winning went out in the morning with hydraulic problems. Shame that the #9 could have won if they didn't get hit on the start finish straight which caused a tire to explode and cause them to lose the hydraulics system and get them stuck in 5th gear 8 miles from the pits.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    You couldn't make that shit up.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    So I caught none of it live and I only just started looking at highlights and I'm extremely naive about WEC. Is there an LMP1 hybrid and non-hybrid LMP1 class? Or were all the cars in LMP1 hybrid?

The 10 minute recap I saw had no narration so all I can tell it looked like a ton of cars driving around on fire. Did most LMP1 cars just have technical issues?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    There are only the two types of LMP1 cars I believe, and both are hybrid. I don't know if LMP1 is required to be hybrid, though. The usual justification for motorsport (other than it's just plain fun) is that it's to advance the technology, and the more we can do with hybrid the better, but again not sure if it is required.

Some people are wondering if there will even be LMP1 next year. If either Porsche or Toyota decide not to participate, that's basically it unless somebody like Peugeot jumps in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    The usual justification for motorsport (other than it's just plain fun) is that it's to advance the technology

I've never really found this argument to be convincing as the vast majority of technological improvements that are relevant outside of motorsport get banned.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Audi dropped out because money issues after the emissions cheating in the factory vehicles?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    That and Audi and Porsche are from the same family/corporation of cars. They didn't see the point in having two cars from essentially the same company competing with each other. They also withdrew from WRC where VW was almost completely dominant.

Cormac on
  • Options
    They didn't want to spend money on diesel development post dieselgate, Porsche runs a flat 4 turbocharged gasoline engine, so they got to keep going.

The two LMP1 classes are LMP1H, which is works teams with the very expensive hybrid systems, and LMP1, which has a similar aero design and more power but no hybrid, so they're slower. These are generally for privateers. The last few years the only LMP1 teams have been ByKolles and Rebellion, and Rebellion bailed out and moved to LMP2 because the non-H LMP1 teams have been horrible. ByKolles didn't even last 5 minutes this year.

However, next year they're standardizing LMP1 to be like LMP2 and adding a standard chassis which lets privateers join easier. There are rumored to be 5+ LMP1 Privateers next year. They will probably be a menace just like the altogether too fast LMP2 cars are with crappy silver drivers.

The real thing now is if Toyota and Porsche want to stay in WEC at LMP1H because the hybrid cars are extremely expensive relative to the other cars, and given the lack of competition there are rumors they might drop out. Especially Toyota, after missing the promised land at Le Mans so many times by just terrible luck.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Wow the situation with the various classes is even more bizarre and convoluted than I had expected. It's a damn shame about Toyota, the car is just ridiculously fast and I heard that it was undefeated this season prior to Le Mans. I'm not really sure how much of the technology in the LMP1H cars is applicable to consumer vehicles, but I would hope that at least some of the hybrid drivetrain stuff would be a fit for the consumer market. It'd be neat to see a high performance hybrid 911 or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Toyota and Porsche both say the hybrid drivetrain stuff is very applicable, since it's only mgu-k based recovery in formula one terms, which is more in line with road car designs.

I don't think Toyota would spend all the money on it if it wasn't. I'm sure they also want to make a poster with the TS050 and a Prius next to each other, to try and add some appeal to their general appliance look.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    This is just tragic: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/vasselon-frustrated-with-toyotas-missed-opportunity/

Apparently the #7's clutch was broken by a fake marshal who was a driver from another team running out and telling the #7 to go while waiting for the Safety Car. https://streamable.com/kvdca

At Le Mans, there are 3 safety cars, and when you pit, you can only exit when one comes around and you join at the back of it. The #7 was stopped at the end of the pit lane by a real marshal, and that marshal went away to stop other cars who pit. Someone then ran out, told the #7 to go, which it did, and then it was told to stop again, and then start when the train came around. The way LMP1H cars work is not at all intended for this herky jerky start stop because the clutch is only usually engaged once they are at speed on the electric motor and it burned the clutch out, causing the failure.

So Toyota lost the #7 to people being assholes, they lost the #9 to idiot LMP2 drivers, and they lost the #8 to the same freak failure that the winning #2 car had.

Toyota is mega-cursed, but whoever that driver is needs to be banned from WEC for a long ass time.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    What a dick move. Hopefully they can figure out who it was based on the video.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    F1's 2018 calendar has been announced:
    25 March -- Melbourne, Australia
    8 April -- Shanghai, China*
    15 April -- Sakhir, Bahrain
    29 April -- Baku, Azerbaijan
    13 May -- Barcelona, Spain
    27 May -- Monte Carlo, Monaco
    10 June -- Montreal, Canada
    24 June -- Le Castellet, France
    1 July -- Spielberg, Austria
    8 July -- Silverstone, Great Britain
    22 July -- Hockenheim, Germany
    29 July -- Budapest, Hungary
    26 August -- Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
    2 September -- Monza, Italy
    16 September -- Marina Bay, Singapore*
    30 September -- Sochi, Russia
    7 October -- Suzuka, Japan
    21 October -- Austin, USA
    28 October -- Mexico City, Mexico
    11 November -- Sao Paulo, Brazil
    25 November -- Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi

Malaysia is gone, as we knew was happening; Azerbaijan moves to April; Russia goes to the end of September; and France and Germany return, making a six-weekend span with five races in it!

China and Singapore await final confirmation but I'd be surprised if anything goes wrong with them.

Jazz on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Apparently Toyota's problem wasn't sabotage, it was another driver trying to show encouragement.(link to apology on facebook). At least according to the other driver.

He's been fined apparently, and obviously apologized. But yeah, his story is "I wanted to say "good going!" to the lead car and yeah obviously that was dumb"

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Toyota will be back if Porsche is back and there is no reason to believe Porsche is leaving. LMP1's rules change next year but I would still expect the dominant cars to be the hybrids.

If you haven't, and you have the equipment to do so, I highly recommend trying the 919 Hybrid in Assetto Corsa. It's the 2015 model, so it's not exactly like this years, but it still gives you a taste of the acceleration those 1000 bhp hybrids can get coming out of a corner. It's breath taking (especially in VR).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    We cut our cable off this week, but following via twitter/BBC live feed... WOW!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    This is probably the best race I've seen in years. Literally everything happened.
    Points for Alonso! Youngest rookie podium! Crazy red flag repairs! Madness.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Race was crazy but also demonstrated some serious flaws with the track.
    There should not have been as many safety cars, nor should they have taken so long. The track doesn't allow cars to be removed quickly (no exit points, no cranes along large sections of track) and the marshalls seemed poorly organized and slow to remove cars and debris. Likewise the high speed of the track makes debris much worse. This is before mentioning that an incident in the castle section could easily block the track (as seen in one of the support races and the practice sections) leading to an instant red flag.

Frustrating to see Hamilton lose out on what looked like a comfortable race win due to a faulty headrest but there isn't much you can do at that point.

Vettel was incredibly lucky. I would definitely have considered a disqualification for his shenanigans under the safety car. His only mitigating factor is that he was merely reckless rather than deliberate (he supposedly didn't have his hands on the wheel) but reckless driving leading to a collision under a safety car is not a good look - especially when the initial collision was his own fault. He was also incredibly lucky that timing on his penalty vs Hamilton's headrest meant he gained on Hamilton in the championship! Refusing to acknowledge reckless driving was pretty damned pathetic too.

Bottas had a good recovery drive but it was his own mistake that put him there. He was likewise lucky not to receive anything for the damage he did to Kimi's car.

Ricciardo kinda lucked out on the win but credit for his move on the Williams at the restart. Verstappen just has terrible luck. I have little doubt that he missed out on a potential win (given how things shook out) due to engine failure.

Terrible day for the Force India's. Was hoping to see them score a podium and all round good points. Taking each other out is never a good way to go but haven't seen a clear replay of what happened yet.

Congrats to Stroll though. He was on pace this weekend and generally a bit faster than Massa. I'd hope the confidence boost from this will drive him forward a bit.

Oh and McLaren got points! I was expecting the engine to blow (and they did have electric issues as usual) but they survived somehow.

Edit:
    FIA penalty statement doing the rounds on twitter says that Vettel did steer into Hamilton. If it's genuine, then what do you have to do to get disqualified these days?

altid on
  • Options
    If that's true...
    And all he got was a 10s penalty, that's unacceptable. F1's favored son driving at their favored team gets the calls I guess.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    A more detailed explanation from the stewards:
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-hamilton-vettel-baku-brake-testing-923425/
    In short Hamilton did absolutely nothing wrong or unexpected at that corner, Vettel drove into the back of him on his own. Vettel was then found to have steered into Hamilton. He got away with the 10 second stop-go and 3 points on his license, bringing him to 9 total. 3 more before silverstone would net him a race ban.

Frankly it should have been a disqualification. Deliberate contact is not something that should be tolerated especially when it's under safety car regulations. That Vettel refused to even acknowledge what he did during or after the race is really poor form and not a good look for him.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Hamilton didn't really accelerate out of the corner either, and he's got a history of chucklefuckery with safety cars so even though he didn't blatantly brake check. i'm sure that played a part in the ruling. and a 10 second stop go is an enormous penalty, it's over 30 seconds.

hamilton would have won in a walk except he had effectively his own 10 second stop go with the headrest breaking.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    He didn't have to accelerate. As the lead car he had the right to control the pace, it's up to the other drivers to pay attention. He also had to slow them significantly enough to let the SC get far enough ahead that they weren't going to pass it. On the previous restart you could see just how close they came to the SC. Vettel was also caught napping the last time which is why he was far too close to Hamilton. Telemetry also showed that Hamilton did more or less the same routine in previous laps.

A 10s stop go is a strong penalty, but intentional collisions justify the harshest possible penalty - disqualification.

• Options
    Hamilton doing an intentional routine at the corner every time to get a better SC restart doesn't impress me. There are a lot of rules about lead car behavior and Hamilton frequently breaks the spirit if not the letter on them. Put in a sector of VSC after safety car pits if you don't want incidents like this to happen.

They never issue DQs in F1, and minor taps that don't do anything are never going to cause them. They won't DQ for anything short of intentionally pit manuvering someone into a wall, and even then i doubt it. a 10s stop and go is perhaps even excessive given the current f1 penalty regime.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Race was a total clusterfuck. Ended up playing into RB's max straight line speed setup really well, Ricciardo was making up positions every restart.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Well that was bananas!

• Options
    Eh, that's where we are at this morning? Hand waving completely unprofessional behavior by Vettel because Hamilton occasionally uses restart rules to his advantage? Yeah, fuck that Hamilton guy, using rules to his advantage. It's almost like he's paid 50m pounds a year to do whatever is necessary, within the rules, to win. He clearly should have accelerated, giving up his leaders advantage, so Vettel (a guy who also makes about 50m pounds a year) can not slam in to the back of him and then try and blame it on him like a child. In fact, maybe Hamilton should just pull over and let Vettel by next time. That's clearly the sporting thing to do.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Yeah. You deliberately hit someone out of anger = you're done. That's got to be the rule. Sucks for Hamilton that the timing of the two stops worked out so that he ended up behind.

That said, I thought this supposed to be a race, not a demolition derby. Sooooo many crashes, many of them unforced.

Very entertaining race, though.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I don't think Hamilton did anything wrong, but I'm perfectly happy with him not winning the championship, but I despise Ferrari so the championship isn't really what's thrilling me this season. Regarding Vettel's penalty, I think the penalty was fine - if Hamilton's guard hadn't malfunctioned, Hamilton would have won the race with 4 or 5 positions ahead of Vettel. Vettel's penalty can't be made worse or better because his competition fucks up.

And regarding Vettel, what he did was ridiculously unprofessional and dangerous - but I have a feeling it wasn't his intention to actually ram Hamilton. I think it was him acting angrily and playing games on the track. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, and he deserved the penalty.

As a Canadian, I'm super happy with Stroll, though. He had a run of bad luck, most of which was not his fault, but even when he wasn't being affected by circumstance he wasn't performing and his panic during the safety car in Monaco wasn't very encouraging. However, he showed stability and consistency in Baku, and hopefully this means he'll be more in line with Massa from here on out. I'm hopeful! I would like there to still be a Canadian driver in F1 in 2018!

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Eh, that's where we are at this morning? Hand waving completely unprofessional behavior by Vettel because Hamilton occasionally uses restart rules to his advantage? Yeah, fuck that Hamilton guy, using rules to his advantage. It's almost like he's paid 50m pounds a year to do whatever is necessary, within the rules, to win. He clearly should have accelerated, giving up his leaders advantage, so Vettel (a guy who also makes about 50m pounds a year) can not slam in to the back of him and then try and blame it on him like a child. In fact, maybe Hamilton should just pull over and let Vettel by next time. That's clearly the sporting thing to do.

I don't like merc or ferrari and wish they'd both crash out every race. Does it count as handwaving when he got a 10 second stop and go, a huge penalty in F1? Ya'll want Vettel to be drawn and quartered for a collision that didn't even damage the cars.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Finally sat down to watch the rest of the race - holy moly.

The 10 second stop-and-go was clearly not enough since Vettel managed to finish 6 seconds off the leader in the end! The penalty should have put him at the back of the lead lap.

And all the more worse for Hamilton since the headrest problem meant he got zero advantage from the penalty.

Sergio Perez has got to be pissed - his teammate puts him into the wall and ruins his race, which turns out to be a race he could have won!

Also a pity that Stroll got passed in the last 100m by Bottas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The FIA has decided it will not take further action against Vettel over his collision with Lewis Hamilton in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. http://www.fia.com/news/fia-official-statement-following-2017-azerbaijan-grand-prix
    Following an incident at the recent Azerbaijan Grand Prix involving a collision between Car 5 (Sebastian Vettel) and Car 44 (Lewis Hamilton), Sebastian Vettel was today invited to attend a meeting at the FIA’s Paris headquarters. He was accompanied by his Team Principal Maurizio Arrivabene. He reviewed the incident together with a panel comprised of FIA Deputy President for Sport Graham Stoker, FIA General Secretary for Sport Peter Bayer, FIA Formula One World Championship Race Director Charlie Whiting and FIA Formula One World Championship Deputy Race Director and FIA Safety Director Laurent Mekies.

During the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, stewards officiating at the event issued a ten-second stop-and-go penalty to Sebastian Vettel, the most severe penalty immediately applicable before displaying a black flag notice to the driver. Sebastian Vettel also had three penalty points applied to his FIA Superlicence, taking his current total to nine.

However, while respecting the stewards’ decision, the FIA remained deeply concerned by the wider implications of the incident, firstly through the impact such behaviour may have on fans and young competitors worldwide and secondly due to the damage such behaviour may cause to the FIA’s image and reputation of the sport.

Following detailed discussion and further examination of video and data evidence related to the incident, Sebastian Vettel admitted full responsibility.

Sebastian Vettel extended his sincere apologies to the FIA and the wider motor sport family. He additionally committed to devote personal time over the next 12 months to educational activities across a variety of FIA championships and events, including in the FIA Formula 2 championship, the FIA Formula 3 European championship, at an FIA Formula 4 championship to be defined and at the FIA Stewards’ seminar. Due to this incident, president Jean Todt instructed that no road safety activities should be endorsed by Sebastian Vettel until the end of this year.

The FIA notes this commitment, the personal apology made by Sebastian Vettel and his pledge to make that apology public. The FIA also notes that Scuderia Ferrari is aligned with the values and objectives of the FIA.

In light of these developments, FIA President Jean Todt decided that on this occasion the matter should be closed.

Nevertheless, in noting the severity of the offence and its potential negative consequences, FIA President Todt made it clear that should there be any repetition of such behaviour, the matter would immediately be referred to the FIA International Tribunal for further investigation.

Commenting on the outcome of today’s meeting, FIA President Jean Todt said: “Top level sport is an intense environment in which tempers can flare. However, it is the role of top sportsmen to deal with that pressure calmly and to conduct themselves in a manner that not only respects the regulations of the sport but which befits the elevated status they enjoy.”

“Sportsmen must be cognisant of the impact their behaviour can have on those who look up to them. They are heroes and role models and to millions of fans worldwide and must conduct themselves accordingly.”

Here's Vettel's apology
    Dear motor-racing fans

Concerning the incidents of Baku I’d like to explain myself: During the re-start lap, I got surprised by Lewis and ran into the back of his car. With hindsight, I don't believe he had any bad intentions. In the heat of the action I then overreacted, and therefore I want to apologise to Lewis directly, as well as to all the people who were watching the race. I realize that I was not setting a good example.

I had no intention at anytime to put Lewis in danger, but I understand that I caused a dangerous situation.
    Therefore, I would like to apologise to the FIA. I accept and respect the decisions that were taken at today’s meeting in Paris, as well as the penalty imposed by the Stewards in Baku.

I love this sport and I am determined to represent it in a way that can be an example for future generations.

• Options
    about what i expected.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I finally own some F1 merchandise.

Of course it's overpriced, but whateves. Wallet, hat and way-too-small shirt (Their shirts are super form fitting, so it's entirely inappropriate for a fat guy to wear). Sticking with my Mclaren, Alonso's number, because there will be good times again.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Yeah, I spent way too much at Austin last year. On stuff I normally won't even be able to wear, lol. Oh well. Easy come, easy go.

• Options
    Seb continues to act like a heel, although at least there wasn't smacking into other cars this time.

This discussion has been closed.