Options

[Final Fantasy] VII 100% legitimate and happening remake. Yes, really.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    This is my general setup for the event:
    tFNj8aY.png
    Preferably, I'd have a honed strike ability for Cloud so I had more than 4 uses between the two abilities. Drain Strike is just handy to conserve healing.
    Would recommend against slotting Blizzard or ice abilities in general as the big draw Hard mode gauntlet features 2x Number 128, who absorbs Ice damage. You could get away with less healing but I'm just playing conservatively, and Body Slam on DRK Cecil is very handy to nuke off almost anything, including the Protoarmors so some extra healing is handy to have. Quickness is good since the three boss fights are HP sponges. I can't remember if Ifrit/Shiva appear in the Number 28 first stage line up, but if they do, the Fira Strike and a Fira off Terra annihilates Shiva in a one-two combo.

IMHO, synergy 3-4 star weapons are really important for this. You want the extra firepower to get through the boss fights and being able to one-shot the Protoarmors before they give you a lot of grief with their scintillating armour counter-attack. You also want to burst down Number 28 as quickly as possible as once he puts up his barrier, he also gains physical defence so the fight just starts to drag out.

And whooops, swap the weapons between Terra and Aeris. I was just mucking around with Aeris spamming Dragon for cheap exp against the Flan packs.

And Celes get!! 5 star Spellblade, 2 star BLM and WHM. Apparently her stat totals are godly but she's a bit middling when it comes to physical damage.. Might be interesting to use as a major Spellblade spammer and the option for supportive WHM abilities

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Spellblades are all physical I believe, they're just affected by enemy elemental weaknesses.

I'm planning to make Celes into a back up healer like Cecil once Cecil hits 50 and I retire him.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Celes doesn't feel particularly godly. She's a physically weaker Cloud with a 5* skill level for a 5* ability no one can even get yet. Her magic skill makes her a better P. Cecil healer (marginally, as they're both still 2* WHM), but she still can't wear any heavy armor, so she's a bit fragile. Her SB makes her useful against caster bosses though, so if you haven't beat Darill's Tomb elite or Magissa and Forza, she's good there.

She's fine for bringing in to FF6 dungeons regardless, just for the stat boosts, but barring any syngeries, she's really middle of the pack in terms of available characters. Her level 50 stats means she's a better caster than fighter (102 magic, 91 attack) in the end and due to the way ability modifiers work, it's easier to have her in the back row spamming ***ra spells over being a spellblade (unless you get her relic).

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So do you just get record materia when a character hits 50 automatically? Terra is 46 now so I guess I'll find out soon. Soon as she's done I'll swap in Rydia until Tyro is 50 too, then get the rest of the main party up. Figure I'll do the event proper once I have at least Terra, Tyro, and Cloud at 50.

Gear isn't too bad either. Cloud's rocking a 15/15 4* Maneater (VI) with 12/20 5* Genji Shield (IV) and Hyper Wrist (VII), Tyro a 15/15 4* Greatsword++ (VI) with 15/15 4* Protect Vest (VII) and Hero's Ring (VI), and Terra's got a 9/10 3* Flame Rod (V) with 15/15 4* Royal Crown (VI) and Earring (VII). Should be fine for Hard mode I think.

Madican on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    My Cloud is at 50 and he didn't get Record Materia. I don't think it's implemented yet, and it's probably a reward for clearing dungeons, I imagine.

So attempting to farm flans. Not doing so hot. I'm resetting so many times that 4 stamina recharges between each wave of flan. It is also insanely time consuming compared to just running the EXP. daily or vector a few times on auto pilot.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Picked up Kirin. Party-wide Regen is nice, but my only summoner in my current party is Aerith. Kirin + Dia leaves no room for Cure. Should I drop Kirin or put Cecil on Cura duty instead?

• Options
    They're not in Global version yet? Eh, guess I'll have a head start then. Apparently once you get a character's materia you can put it on others, so there's incentive to level them all. Even the godawful Core ones.

• Options
    You definitely get more exp per flan run than the weekly exp dungeon though, and at least the exp boosts VI characters. I'm doing it just enough to get Celes and Cyan up to 40 at which point I'll just do the hard mode to farm up to 100000 for the Hyper Wrist. 200000 seems excessive and 1 Major Holy Orb feels like a cheap prize considering the effort required.

• Options
    Flan fight gives 15,640 XP on a Master clear for 4 Stamina. I don't think anything else even comes close.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Flan fight gives 15,640 XP on a Master clear for 4 Stamina. I don't think anything else even comes close.

It's 25k-30k for 10 Stam in the EXP dungeon, depending on how many waves of single enemies you get. So yes, mathematically Flans are better on a per stamina basis. My complaint is that flans are ridiculously awful and inefficient on a per "real world time" basis.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    They're not in Global version yet? Eh, guess I'll have a head start then. Apparently once you get a character's materia you can put it on others, so there's incentive to level them all. Even the godawful Core ones.

There's a reason all the powergamers from FFRK JP are leveling Summoner / Black Mage / White Mage during this event. Their record materias are game changing (regen 1 use of their respective magics at the start of each combat). Makes Rydia into a trash clearing machine.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Doesn't Terra's do the same as BM's?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

It's 25k-30k for 10 Stam in the EXP dungeon, depending on how many waves of single enemies you get. So yes, mathematically Flans are better on a per stamina basis. My complaint is that flans are ridiculously awful and inefficient on a per "real world time" basis.

Yes, but you can't take a summoner and a low level character all the way through the EXP dungeon and expect them to survive.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    200000 seems excessive and 1 Major Holy Orb feels like a cheap prize considering the effort required.
    Kind of, but there's no other way to obtain 5* orbs. Even in the Japanese version you can only get them from events, as with this one.

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'm having terrible luck, or just too low. Perhaps I just need more healers. Any input would be very welcome.

I started playing recently, just long enough to get Terra, Aerith, and have just picked up Celes.

Before Celes, I was running Cloud/Cyan/Kain for damage, Terra for black magic, and Aerith for white. All average around lvl 34. Weapons are mid-lveled, as I don't have the gil or the items to feed some of the weapons. Cloud has danjuro, Cyan has maneater, Kain has Trident; Terra has a Falchion+ and Aeris a gravity rod. Armor isn't great, with the strongest being a diamond helm and a Mythril mail+.

I just don't seem to do enough damage, and take too much, even giving curaga to aerith and cura to terra. I also give aerith blindna, so she's pretty useless most of the time. I do need to hone the cures some, but that doesn't feel like enough.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know if I'm having terrible luck, or just too low. Perhaps I just need more healers. Any input would be very welcome.

I started playing recently, just long enough to get Terra, Aerith, and have just picked up Celes.

Before Celes, I was running Cloud/Cyan/Kain for damage, Terra for black magic, and Aerith for white. All average around lvl 34. Weapons are mid-lveled, as I don't have the gil or the items to feed some of the weapons. Cloud has danjuro, Cyan has maneater, Kain has Trident; Terra has a Falchion+ and Aeris a gravity rod. Armor isn't great, with the strongest being a diamond helm and a Mythril mail+.

I just don't seem to do enough damage, and take too much, even giving curaga to aerith and cura to terra. I also give aerith blindna, so she's pretty useless most of the time. I do need to hone the cures some, but that doesn't feel like enough.

You should be doing some elites now (and obviously you have been if you have the Diamond Helm from the FF1 elites). What kind of abilities are Kain and Cloud running? I would advise giving Cloud some spellblade skills - the 3 basic elements will be enough for now, don't worry about Aero Strike. Kain absolutely should have Jump and something else. Cyan should have Double Cut and something else. The Retaliate trick is good, but requires a bit too much set up and it forces your guys to be doing other things than exploiting boss weaknesses.

Aerith and Terra both make better back-row casters than front-line fighters - give Terra the Gravity Rod and Aerith the Light Staff if you need more healing output, or the Light Rod for more spelldamage (though Celes or Rydia would do a better job on either).

Also give some consideration to taking Cyan out and putting Josef in your team. He's the second strongest physical fighter in the game (even including characters yet to be released) and his HP is only 100 less than Cyan's at max level. That said, his defense is on the whole lower, and since he's FF2, his synergy usefulness runs out real fast. But if you're not dealing with FF6 dungeons, he's a capable powerhouse with his 5* Combat rating. Toss him a Power or Armor Break and watch him wreck everyone with a dagger or good set of claws if you have one.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

On armor mat, weapon mat, and gil daily dungeon days, only play those until your gear is maxed out. No reason to short yourself from how you could be doing.

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular

You should be doing some elites now (and obviously you have been if you have the Diamond Helm from the FF1 elites). What kind of abilities are Kain and Cloud running? I would advise giving Cloud some spellblade skills - the 3 basic elements will be enough for now, don't worry about Aero Strike. Kain absolutely should have Jump and something else. Cyan should have Double Cut and something else. The Retaliate trick is good, but requires a bit too much set up and it forces your guys to be doing other things than exploiting boss weaknesses.

Aerith and Terra both make better back-row casters than front-line fighters - give Terra the Gravity Rod and Aerith the Light Staff if you need more healing output, or the Light Rod for more spelldamage (though Celes or Rydia would do a better job on either).

Also give some consideration to taking Cyan out and putting Josef in your team. He's the second strongest physical fighter in the game (even including characters yet to be released) and his HP is only 100 less than Cyan's at max level. That said, his defense is on the whole lower, and since he's FF2, his synergy usefulness runs out real fast. But if you're not dealing with FF6 dungeons, he's a capable powerhouse with his 5* Combat rating. Toss him a Power or Armor Break and watch him wreck everyone with a dagger or good set of claws if you have one.

Good advice, all around. I swapped Celes in, and Kain out; I didn't have the abilities to make him shine, and I think the water element on his spear was impacting his damage negatively. That freed me to put Terra on red mage duty in the back row, and aerith on white mage in the back. The two heals helped, as did two spellblade users (Celes with water and fire, Cloud with thunder and double-hit). I then got the luckiest damn draw, and even with two rounds of proto armor, didn't have a single counter scintillation or rocket. Fully mastered Hard without breaking a sweat, and Celes was still sub-30.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Hard Mode of Celes event Mastered. Ended with Cloud and Terra at slivers of health. Really didn't help that I went against 024 twice and then 128 to finish off the ones weakened by that second fight. Need to hone some more stuff so I can keep lightning in reserve for those proto armors.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    God damnit, 024 takes too long to show up. Makes it hard to do the dungeon on my lunch break.

Edit: I'm at 58,000, so another 2-3 days of this, then back to delicious flan goodness. Terra and Cyan are both level 44/45 now though, so it's good XP even though it's not, er, Flan XP. I discovered that with Dragon the Summoner Job can clear Flans at level 15, so I'll probably work on getting Summoner/Black/White to 40 or so next.

KiTA on
  • Options
    KiTA wrote: »
    God damnit, 024 takes too long to show up. Makes it hard to do the dungeon on my lunch break.

Edit: I'm at 58,000, so another 2-3 days of this, then back to delicious flan goodness. Terra and Cyan are both level 44/45 now though, so it's good XP even though it's not, er, Flan XP. I discovered that with Dragon the Summoner Job can clear Flans at level 15, so I'll probably work on getting Summoner/Black/White to 40 or so next.

Yeah, I've been leveling the SMN/WHM/BLM on Flans now. My SMN started at Lv 1, but with the Empyrean Rod and Feathered Hat, he had more than enough Magic Power to take out the Flans with Dragon. They have about 580HP and he hit for 600+. Then he gained 13 levels because the BLM/WHM both died in that fight. :)

• Options
    I think Dragon has a minimum damage of around 600.
    KiTA wrote: »

Tell me about it. Last night I reset the Hard Celes event for ~30 minutes, and number 024 didn't show up once. I got fed up since I had to go to bed and hadn't used any stamina, so I swapped some weaker members in and hopped over the Vector to use up my stamina.

This morning before work I had ~10 minutes before I started, so I popped into the Celes Event, and low and behold, number 024 shows up right away! I then realize I have a team utterly incapable of beating the event, and kick myself. At least 024 didn't Barrier Shift to raise his Def, so I was able to kill him in 3 rounds instead of 30 (that is such a dumb mechanic).

The worst part is that if I showed up with Sum/WhM/BlM, I'm sure I wouldn't see a single Flan, and would be constantly resetting thinking "man I wish 024 would stop showing up!"

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ok! My FF12 IZJS run continues! I just finished the Stillshrine of Miriam.
    • On one hand, man is this game addicting. I can't really say why. And gorgeous too!
    • Also, it has some of the best dungeons in a FF. Real puzzles and excellent atmosphere. Man, I wish FF13 had stuff like this.
    • Fast forward button is the best! But...I wonder if it exposes flaws in FF12.
    • Man, is IZJS broken. In a good way. I mean, I'm no powerhouse but you can tell the game isn't balanced at all for certain setups.
    • License board still sucks. There's some nifty stuff there but...I dunno if your LP growth rate sucks or they expect you to massively grind (hello fast forward button!).
    • Random chests still blow. What were they thinking...

I'm gonna stick to the critical path this time. Or maybe attempt a few summon fights.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I love FFXII without reserve, but yeah, the entire concept behind "sometimes this chest has an awesome item, but most of the time, it's just some more coins" is fucking terrible and makes no sense.

I wouldn't mind the random chest stuff if the game at the very least had any chest the was supposed to have a unique or important weapon/armor/skill in it was always there and always had that item when first opened.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    You know they kinda fixed it. I don't know why they didn't go all the way. Some chests do have a 100% chance to have a certain item. But MOST chests still randomize loot.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Wow.. I am also playing through FFXII, fired up my PS2 thin and hooked my old Sony WEGA CRT, cause PS2 looks like ass on my HD LCD TVs.

When I first got the game years ago I couldn't get into it, I hated Vaan's face (still kinda do) and the battle system was such a change from previous FF it just turned me off, I think I got 20 hours into the game and then never played it again. The other week my wife was talking to me about the few video games she played with her brothers and one was Twisted Metal, I was pretty sure I had Twisted Metal Black so I hooked up the PS2 and the TV and looked through my collection.. No TMB but it made me fire up Final Fantasy XII, and I have been loving the shit out of it since. Used the guide to make sure I didnt open any of those forbidden chests... (what a stupid thing and unless you had bought the guide to go along with the game when it first came out nobody would even know it was possible to get the spear early.. so fuck Square-Enix for that nugget of stupid.)

Side note.. Likely will Ebay a copy of Twisted Metal Black.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I still wish someone would make an MMO that used a system like FFXII's. Give me control of a small party where my AI members operate based on gambits or similar.

• Options
    Took advantage of the hour before commute to knock out a couple basic dungeons for more stamina shards, increasing my stamina from 48-52, so there's another round of flans.

Going to be running Hard mode of the daily dungeon for elemental orbs, get me some hones, and try for more stamina shards. I think I'm almost to the end of the new batch of basics. Then on to elites.

• Options
    Took advantage of the hour before commute to knock out a couple basic dungeons for more stamina shards, increasing my stamina from 48-52, so there's another round of flans.

Going to be running Hard mode of the daily dungeon for elemental orbs, get me some hones, and try for more stamina shards. I think I'm almost to the end of the new batch of basics. Then on to elites.

Except for things on a time-limited basis, like the events, I prioritize getting stamina shards over everything.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I can't tell you why but every time I play FFXII I get to the part with the airships (I can't remember the Judge's name) and then quit. I've played the game 4-5 times and stop at that point every time. I don't know why.

FFX is complete. I murdered the last boss with no problems. Towards the end I was killing the mobs that show up before you get to the end without losing any health at the end so it was a quick and easy grind.

I started FFX-2. I really like the combat but everything else is cringe worthy so far.

• Options
    I really like this new Event in FF:RK. I like how random it can be.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

In other news, I hate how random it can be sometimes, but mostly because I hate onion knights.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

In other news, I hate how random it can be sometimes, but mostly because I hate onion knights.

Yeah fuck those guys. The only reason I have Rydia on my team is so I can use a Summon on them.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It is SO random. Number 024 and when he does his first Barrier Shift. Number 128 and whether he hits with Shamshir. Onion Knights and if they counter-detonate. Protoarmor and if they blind your whole team or not.

To say nothing of how one specific run nets 4-5k of Memories, while the rest putter around with ~2k.

Whether you have to run it 100 times or 50 times for the max prize makes a big difference. You can run it at max 15 times a day, if you use 100% of stamina in a given day. Since that's not really feasible for most people, you can probably get 7-10 runs tops. I hope this event runs for a long time.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    The banner for it says it runs through the 12th or 13th depending on time zone.

• Options

Except for things on a time-limited basis, like the events, I prioritize getting stamina shards over everything.

Yeah, I've been trying to balance the events with increasing my stamina pool, since I'm in the dungeons that chew up 36 stamina and then I need to wait for an hour or two to let it regen. Great on weekends, not so much at work when my phone is in the car all day.

Though it's nice that my party is so hilariously overleveled for the basics that I can auto them all the way to the boss, hit its Mastery, then grind them into dust with Boost to Cloud then Thunder Strike/Retaliate.

• Options
    Just shy of 80k now I think. I should have the 5 star orb tomorrow sometime.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Guys.

The auto correct on my phone has learned "L'Cie." I was shocked today when I typed it to a friend and it fixed my capitalization for me.

• Options
    Blargh number 024. It's faster to close the game and restart the fight than slog through his defense post barrier shift ( goes from ~90 to well over 400).

• Options
    It's especially fun when 024 pops up twice in one dungeon and you blew a whole lot of abilities just beating him down before the shift the first time around.

This discussion has been closed.