Options

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Anyone on Bone side want to do trials?

I don't know what this means

He posted in the wrong thread - thats Destiny talk

Ahhh

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'd be okay with Andromeda essentially having the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack.
    https://youtu.be/0cXsoRRYf5A

Oh god now I just thought about your character setting foot on your first Andromedan world while this plays.
    https://youtu.be/7IkvAb6THQY
    Goosebumps

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Thing is, that's a completely different tone. That would fit Serenity, not the aesthetic they've used for Mass Effect to date.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but something popped into my head as I was watching the N7 day trailer. We're sending a ship to the Andromeda galaxy, though exactly where all the Reapers live. Now, did they all come? Or did they leave at least one behind to make sure shit's ok, like Sovereign? Cuz that would be one short trip, lol.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but something popped into my head as I was watching the N7 day trailer. We're sending a ship to the Andromeda galaxy, though exactly where all the Reapers live. Now, did they all come? Or did they leave at least one behind to make sure shit's ok, like Sovereign? Cuz that would be one short trip, lol.

There is a lot of dark space, and if reapers were filling it in all directions, they wouldn't have needed the alpha relay as a plan d(I think it was about three backups deep, from what I remember) for if they had to slowboat back into the galaxy, because they'd be able to pop in at all points anyway.

Unless it's actually been stated that they picked the patch of dark space between us and Andromeda, anyway.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Orca wrote: »
    Thing is, that's a completely different tone. That would fit Serenity, not the aesthetic they've used for Mass Effect to date.

But that was a different series; the only shared part is the universe/setting. This game is "adventure, exploration, the uncharted frontier". The prior trilogy was "galactic threat, save the world, make difficult choices". Entirely reasonable for the same universe to have different tone from game to game.

I mean, check this out: http://blog.bioware.com/2015/11/07/explorers-wanted/

That's an atmosphere I'm more than okay with, because "I wonder what's over that hill?" is pretty good when your Krogan buddy is going to introduce himself to the new neighbors with a headbutt. Signing up to be an explorer of the unknown ought to be a nice change from "SAVE THE GALAXY!"

dporowski on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Apparently, the new trailer has a quick, in the environment shot of a dogtag with the name RYDER on it: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/video-reveals-new-mass-effect-andromeda-hints-including-character-name/

Could be NuShepard's name, and "Ghost Riders in the Sky" could've been a more fitting song than we realized at the time.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I've watched that teaser trailer three times and it's given me goosebumps everytime

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

But that was a different series; the only shared part is the universe/setting. This game is "adventure, exploration, the uncharted frontier". The prior trilogy was "galactic threat, save the world, make difficult choices". Entirely reasonable for the same universe to have different tone from game to game.

I mean, check this out: http://blog.bioware.com/2015/11/07/explorers-wanted/

That's an atmosphere I'm more than okay with, because "I wonder what's over that hill?" is pretty good when your Krogan buddy is going to introduce himself to the new neighbors with a headbutt. Signing up to be an explorer of the unknown ought to be a nice change from "SAVE THE GALAXY!"

ME1 had lots of "What's over that hill." If they can replicate that, without the reapers and the galaxy-crushing threats, I'll be happy.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    "what's over that hill"
    *spins wheels at the brink of the top of the hell for ten minutes hoping to find out*

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    top of the hell

Intentional or not, this is highly accurate.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    "what's over that hill"
    *spins wheels at the brink of the top of the hell for ten minutes hoping to find out*

Hell indeed.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    "what's over that hill"

The Mako spins its wheels for no hill. Engage thrusters!

*Mako backflips backwards down the hill*

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

There is a lot of dark space, and if reapers were filling it in all directions, they wouldn't have needed the alpha relay as a plan d(I think it was about three backups deep, from what I remember) for if they had to slowboat back into the galaxy, because they'd be able to pop in at all points anyway.

Unless it's actually been stated that they picked the patch of dark space between us and Andromeda, anyway.

Even if the patch of dark space where the reapers chilled was between us and Andromeda it wouldn't matter anyway because that's a ridiculously mind boggling amount of space

Space is big. Really big.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm fine with them changing it up entirely. Dragon Age 1 and 2 are pretty different thematically and neither suffers from that difference.

I'd actually be disappointed if it was another galaxy-spanning extinction threat, or if they made it universe-threatening as an attempt to top themselves.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So, more star trek and less....babylon 5?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    "what's over that hill"

The Mako spins its wheels for no hill. Engage thrusters!

*Mako backflips backwards down the hill*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5BJQ6JOfw

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    GOOMBA STOMP

i'm excited :D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Heatsinks are explained and treated exactly as consistently as how the genophage works and how Kogan reproduce.

There's no way to make a legitimate in universe explanation for them, they don't try, they're just more fun to play with.
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm fine with them changing it up entirely. Dragon Age 1 and 2 are pretty different thematically and neither suffers from that difference.

I'd actually be disappointed if it was another galaxy-spanning extinction threat, or if they made it universe-threatening as an attempt to top themselves.

Bioware is always better with more personal, small-scale stories. I'd be really happy if they started the Andromeda series small and grew it larger over the course of however many games they want to release. That also makes it a lot easier to manage the connectivity and save-state imports that they will be pretty much required to include.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular

Yeah but Inquisition was a POS and nothing like DA:O or DA2.

Please dont be some open world crap. Please dont be a Destiny clone.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The main story of it is just whatever, but the whole theme about building an organization and expanding its power in Inquisition I absolutely loved. If the story is something as simple as creating a foothold in this new galaxy, dealing with new spacefaring species, and sending your agents off exploring (maybe through an AC:Brotherhood style mission mechanic) then i'll enjoy it.

Story-wise I actually like ME1 the most, and I think a big part of that is that it was introducing this big setting and all the weird aliens that inhabited it. 2 got more personal into interacting with your crew members and 3 took it all and pushed it towards the big conclusion, but in both of those the setting had become familiar and comfortable. I'm looking forward to what they come up with to expand the setting now that the Reaper plot is over with.

Aistan on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

Yeah but Inquisition was a POS and nothing like DA:O or DA2.

Please dont be some open world crap. Please dont be a Destiny clone.

them's fighting words..

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Eh. People like what they like.

I do hope they learn from the various missteps in Inquisition while also keeping the stuff that was a lot of fun about it. Throwing out a lot of the good things about 2 is part of why Inquisition was kind of a half-step in the first place I think.

I'm not sure what Destiny clone means though. Destiny's big problem is that it didn't have a story. Bioware usually doesn't have any difficulty in that department.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Destiny clone means putting out some incomplete garbage that the player base is expected to run over and over to acquire 'resources' and then milking them with as much poorly constructed DLC as possible.

I stand by my opinion that Inquisition was garbage when put in the context of the previous 2 game. They took an excellent RPG in Dragon Age Origins and slowly turned it into a consolized Action game with minimal RPG elements. Mind numbing MMO level fetch quests for a guy whose supposed to be the new Messiah.

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "Piece of shit" is pretty heavy overstating, even if you don't like the game. A lot of work went into that game, they didn't just shit it out in one day.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Metacritic user score: 5.8

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

So slightly above average then? Sounds about right.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This seems like a weird argument to be having in the ME thread.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

So slightly above average then? Sounds about right.

No thats way below average and pretty condemning of their paid for reviews from the major critic companies.

Lets compare it to other recent high rated AAA PC games:

Witcher3 Critic: 8.9 User: 9.0
    Metal Gear: 9.1 7.4
    Tales from the Borderlands: 8.9 8.7
    Soma 8.4 8.2
    Warhammer 8.0 8.1

Inquisition 8.5 5.8

• Options
    deleted as this is a ME thread

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Yes because Metacritic user ratings are basically the most reliable metric for quality ever as nobody on the Internet is ever untruthful or motivated by pettiness

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Like anyone cares about Metacritic user scores.

People with axes to grind flood games they don't like with 1s and 0s. Its a broken system.

Also lol at paid for reviews.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    So, clearly Mass Effect Andromeda takes place around the time of the ME3 trilogy, since Shepard's around to give the speech in that teaser. I wonder if it's supposed to be "during" or "after". The ship in the teaser is leaving from Earth, so I figure it's after the events of ME3. It'd be hard to construct a secret, massive, multi-civilization Ark while under direct fire from hundreds or reapers. Shepard's speech is also a lot more "humanity is destined to explore" than "oh god the reapers are going to kill everyone in the galaxy get out while you can".
    Alternately, blue ending (best ending) is canon, and the voiceover is provided by Shepard the Eternal, undying robotic god-king of the subjugated reapers, centuries after the events of the last game.

Or the teaser isn't really canon and BioWare just wanted to show off something cool to represent the game.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    So, clearly Mass Effect Andromeda takes place around the time of the ME3 trilogy, since Shepard's around to give the speech in that teaser. I wonder if it's supposed to be "during" or "after". The ship in the teaser is leaving from Earth, so I figure it's after the events of ME3. It'd be hard to construct a secret, massive, multi-civilization Ark while under direct fire from hundreds or reapers. Shepard's speech is also a lot more "humanity is destined to explore" than "oh god the reapers are going to kill everyone in the galaxy get out while you can".
    Alternately, blue ending (best ending) is canon, and the voiceover is provided by Shepard the Eternal, undying robotic god-king of the subjugated reapers, centuries after the events of the last game.

Or the teaser isn't really canon and BioWare just wanted to show off something cool to represent the game.

That last part. It's not going to have ANY direct connections except for species/tech/winks to the fans. The only way to continue a series after a definitive ending like 3 is to rebuild from the ground up. While you're doing that, it's a TERRIBLE idea to way that new version down with expectations from the previous series.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Not gotta lie, I kinda hope the reject ending is canon.

Personally, I'd guess the expedition is a one way ticket that leaves before 3. An ark to save the species of the Milky Way against the coming apocalypse. I'd also bet that we won't know what happen to the Milky Way or be able to go back.

But man, the reject ending would really up the stakes.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    3clipse wrote: »
    This seems like a weird argument to be having in the ME thread.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Andromeda is set long after, per a Bioware blog at release of the Johnny Cash trailer:
    While we aren’t ready to go into too many details just yet, as you saw in the trailer and can tell by the name, this game is very much a new adventure, taking place far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy. You will play a human, male or female, though that’s actually not the character you saw in the trailer (more on that later).

I don't think they want to deal with ending issues, so I'm guessing Shepard recorded that message between ME1 and ME2's open, when she was the big Alliance poster child and relegated to hunting down random geth, and the how/when of building an ark will just be handwaved away. That way, it can be launched back then and take a billion years or whatever to reach Andromeda.

I assume we didn't take any batarians with us.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Batarians are below decks shovelling ezo into the mass effect core. It's ok though because they have fun parties to up-beat jig music, much better than everyone else stuck in their stuffy evening wear upstairs.

(Batarians are alright, it's not their fault they had a shitty government)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm curious how BioWare will give us a galaxy to explore that isn't empty, considering there isn't much time to set up "civilization" right when the ark arrives.

Maybe the game will actually take place decades after first arrival, to allow settlements to build up and the population to disperse. Mass Effect was a bit like that, taking place decades after first contact with the galactic civilization to allow humans to have a greater (if still hard to believe) presence. There could be native civilizations around, but it would be quite the coincidence if they were at a similar technological level as the settlers. The previous games justified it by having the reapers reset everything every 50,000 years.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Good, so they can drop their pretenses. :P

I adore the trilogy, but if they're going to throw that baby out with the bath water and distance themselves as much as possible, might as well make it tonally different as well with the music.

I'm not saying that it needs to completely remove the cheesy 80's-inspired, sci-fi synth stuff (though honestly the only one for me that hit that perfectly was the very first game). But I don't want more of the same old, even if BioWare is going to insist on doing that with the story (if what the rumous say are true), and mixing it up with a bit of a low-key, frontier-like theme would be awesome.

BRIAN BLESSED on
This discussion has been closed.