As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    That is well and truly bizarre.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    They should really start to sell merch on PSN and XBLA and Steam and Origin and whatnot. I think if they set it up right, that could prove to be a tremendous increase of revenue for both the publisher/developer and the respective services - especially if it's prominently featured in the UI. Like when I select a game in my XMB, the first thing that loads in below could be pictures and prices of the newest merch for that game. If they already have my measurements on file, I could just hit a *buy now* button, and a couple of days later I get my neat N7 hoodie in the mail.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Buying physical merch over an entirely digital store is a weird concept.

I wouldn't mind there being options on the website versions, though. The Microsoft Store could be a decent platform since they do offer sale of Xboxes and physical devices

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Every time I think about how much fun I had with the MP in ME3 I just mutter to myself about how I would've continued paying for expansions and support forever. Even if it was something ludicrous like $30 every three months for a new map and new guns/class/customization options.

Just... Ugh. I really, really hope ME4 is at least as good, because DA:I's MP, lauded by them as the successor to ME3's, was a goddamn dumpster fire.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I hope there's a lot less grind getting in the way of the fun parts.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I dunno, I never felt like ME3's MP was grindy. If you were going for 100% completion, have absolutely everything and at rank 10, maybe. But I was able to have fun immediately, and doing gold didn't require the best gear at all, especially if you were using a Power-based class.

I liked how it was set up, even if if meant there were one or two guns I never saw. I always had something to hope for in a pack, and the sting of not finding it was heavily blunted by just how enjoyable the game was to play. The loot was, for once, secondary to me.

But YMMV, I suppose.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I dunno, I never felt like ME3's MP was grindy. If you were going for 100% completion, have absolutely everything and at rank 10, maybe. But I was able to have fun immediately, and doing gold didn't require the best gear at all, especially if you were using a Power-based class.

I liked how it was set up, even if if meant there were one or two guns I never saw. I always had something to hope for in a pack, and the sting of not finding it was heavily blunted by just how enjoyable the game was to play. The loot was, for once, secondary to me.

But YMMV, I suppose.

I think it was grindy in terms of unlocks. Completely RNG based unlocks are not a particularly good idea. They figured this out pretty early on in SWTOR, I'd like to hope they start applying that lesson to their ME multiplayer. Maybe they're worried about keeping people playing, but they really shouldn't be using a skinner box to get that - it's way better to make the multi fun (which they absolutely did in ME3!) and keep people playing for that reason.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I found it grindy. I would like to find the next one less grindy.

Lets not have a discussion about what is an acceptable amount of grind please. If there's anything that is going to be based entirely on personality differences (specifically, patience) it's definitely going to be "grinding". There really isn't much point.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Origin has me clocked in at 440hrs in ME3. That's mostly multiplayer. I still don't have everything unlocked. I think by anyone's definition, that's grindy.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Some people are really quite remarkably patient.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

But YMMV, I suppose.

counterpoint: Literally hundreds of hours of multiplayer played and I still don't even have a Black Widow Mk I

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I have never played a multiplayer mode that was even remotely as grindy as ME3.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

DAI's was like at least 2 orders of magnitude worse. At least in ME3MP you could deplete the rolls on the items to remove them from the loot pool

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Great.
    That was released afterwards.
    That means they're getting worse.

I love it when developers fail to learn from their mistakes, but somehow think those mistakes were the reason they did well.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

DAI's was like at least 2 orders of magnitude worse. At least in ME3MP you could deplete the rolls on the items to remove them from the loot pool

But on the other hand you can craft classes in DAI. Also you only need to get a good weapon drop once, instead of ten goddamn times.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I was honestly having too much fun just kicking ass regardless of weapon unlocks to mind the grind ;P

Then again, I wasn't one to aim for Gold or Platinum runs anyway

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I apologize because I'm sure this has been discussed, but I ask you to forgive me because I am at work and don't have a great deal of time to surf...

Will ME: Andromeda use data from your previous game saves? Maybe it's a silly question seeing as the saves are for an entirely different system. I am interested to know because I'm getting a PS4 in a week, but up until this point I've only been an Xbox guy. All my saves are for the 360.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    Hey guys, I apologize because I'm sure this has been discussed, but I ask you to forgive me because I am at work and don't have a great deal of time to surf...

Will ME: Andromeda use data from your previous game saves? Maybe it's a silly question seeing as the saves are for an entirely different system. I am interested to know because I'm getting a PS4 in a week, but up until this point I've only been an Xbox guy. All my saves are for the 360.

I'm guessing there will be a website similar to Dragon Age Keep that lets you set up choices and import them into your game. Since it's a whole new galaxy, I doubt previous choices are going to factor into the new game in any big way.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think the game takes place in the same timeframe as the previous trilogy, but the next universe over. So maybe some of ME1's decisions, if that?

sig.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There are ways they could connect the series still. Have background chatter about the events of earlier games (more 1 and/or 2 than 3, obviously) depending on when the Andromeda mission began, and the bonuses given across 2 and 3 could just as easily apply to the next game; extra resources/levels/little odds and ends.

Assuming they go with a similar style for the Multiplayer, I would *love* a little boost/bonus for that as well. Nothing huge or obnoxious, but some bonus credits/booster crates/title or other aesthetic stuff for those who achieved certain unlocks in the ME3 MP.

Again, nothing game breaking, just a little bonus/nod for those who keep porting saves forward.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You're all wrong it's going to be Shepard and the ME2 crew exploring stuff and kicking Liara to the curb and everyone is happy what i can't hear you la lala la lah

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    and kicking Liara to the curb

Carnifexes at dawn, sir.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Liara is a striking example of a character who went from a boring cliched trope to one of the most complex and interesting characters in a series.

• Options
    ClearMadnessClearMadness CanadaRegistered User regular
    I love the entire concept of Andromeda. I super hope it's about a ark launched to the Andromeda galaxy in case they lost the war with the reapers!

Author of the dark fantasy web serial The Iron Teeth. Read it if you love fantasy and goblins!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    and kicking Liara to the curb

Carnifexes at dawn, sir.

I'm bringing a Cain!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Liara is a striking example of a character who went from a boring cliched trope to one of the most complex and interesting characters in a series.

Yeah. I love that she has her own hero's journey that ends with her being arguably more influential and powerful than even the PC.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    But still needs the PC to help her thru her daddy issues.

Because Bioware is secretly making us all play "Psych 101 stereotype simulator"

• Options
    Daddy issues?

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Daddy issues?

I'm half joking since hers are minor compared to some of the other crew, but not knowing her father was definitely a thing with Liara.

• Options
    Wow, Ive never had that topic come up with liara. Kinda amazing considering how much ME ive played.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Wow, Ive never had that topic come up with liara. Kinda amazing considering how much ME ive played.

Whoa, for real? You know you actually meet her father in game, right?

Spoilers:

Cambiata on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

But on the other hand you can craft classes in DAI. Also you only need to get a good weapon drop once, instead of ten goddamn times.

But in ME3 you could guarantee a rare, in DAI 99.9% of the drops are basically Avenger 1's

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    See, even in terms of daddy issues Liara is totally a Poochie!

Miranda: my dad cloned me to be perfect and do his bidding and be his legacy, did I mention he was also a crazy guy?
    Tali: my dad nearly destroyed the flotilla by being a crazy tinkerer and reactivating geth
    Jacob: my dad abandoned us and turned into a crazy guy
    Thane: I'm a bad dad

Liara: my dad was super awesome and watched over me all the time and protected me, boo hoo hoo little wing.

you're all indoctrinated, people!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Tell us about your father, Texiken...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I didn't know him, I was an earthborn orphan, growing up on the mean streets, ya dig?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Never really liked Liara, even after 1 when she changed for the better

I mean, it didn't help that she was allegedly the greatest information broker, head of the biggest spy network in the galaxy, and she provided exactly zero important intel in the entire game

Plus, I mean

She was real clingy

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I mean, it didn't help that she was allegedly the greatest information broker, head of the biggest spy network in the galaxy, and she provided exactly zero important intel in the entire game

Plus, I mean

She was real clingy

Yeah, Liara never knew anything important. Like finding the Crucible single handed. Pfft... not that big a deal.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Plus, I mean

She was real clingy

Yeah, Liara never knew anything important. Like finding the Crucible single handed. Pfft... not that big a deal.

Also Shepard.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Okay, yeah, but what has she done for us lately?

>.>

Forar on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    See, even in terms of daddy issues Liara is totally a Poochie!

Miranda: my dad cloned me to be perfect and do his bidding and be his legacy, did I mention he was also a crazy guy?
    Tali: my dad nearly destroyed the flotilla by being a crazy tinkerer and reactivating geth
    Jacob: my dad abandoned us and turned into a crazy guy
    Thane: I'm a bad dad

Liara: my dad was super awesome and watched over me all the time and protected me, boo hoo hoo little wing.

you're all indoctrinated, people!

Garrus: My dad expected me to be more rule abiding, but now we've talked on our own, and he's basically a solid guy even if we have our disagreements.

Good old Garrus.

This discussion has been closed.