As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    @Sorce posted this in the SE++ thread:
    Sorce wrote: »
    So I got an e-mail telling me the Mass Effect-themed Loot Crate is going to be up for sale in a few days. Figured I'd pass it along in case anyone else was interested.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I might have to get in on that, despite knowing Loot Crates are usually a giant trap...

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ha, I was just coming here to ask if anyone knew how to find the ME loot crate. I don't see it anywhere on their site. Do you have to be a member or something? I used to be a member, but I cancelled because they kept sending me boxes of junk... BUT I feel like they can't screw up an ME box.

Hrmm... went through that link hoping it would lead to a preorder page, but I guess they're just first come first served. Submitted my email address... hope I manage to snag one!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    $70 US domestic, $105 International, that stings. That's around $140 Canadian for a box of random shit, and telling me it's going to be worth $200 Canadian (I'm guessing MSRP) isn't really filling me with confidence. The hoodie they show in one of the pics would be nice, I can always expand the existing armoury and I haven't bought one in a while, but I'm a bit worried it'd be like a hoodie, maybe a shirt (already have 2 of those as well), and some stickers or something.

I should have more faith, but after some major expenses this past month, I'm wary of gambling away that kind of cash in the hopes of getting cool stuff.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Do they get your shirt size info when you sign up, or is it like... every person gets an XXL?

• Options
    I've never gotten a loot crate, but from what I've read, yes, they do ask for your shirt size/other pertinent info.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    so i saw many new posts and I came here for good news! exciting, something has happened!

Tali's face revealed...oh.

god damnit

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    It's fine, we all got excited by spiders our first time! :D

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    so i saw many new posts and I came here for good news! exciting, something has happened!

Tali's face revealed...oh.

god damnit

There actually is a couple of newsy things after that, if you keep reading the thread!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I've been thinking, what if EA releases an online multiplayer mode post-launch, in the vein of GTA Online? Set up the entire Andromeda sector its creating for single player as a kind of competitor to Destiny? Just retooling the assets and mechanics of the singleplayer into a shared world shooter with microtransaction hooks? Adding new expensive vehicles for planetary exploration every so often, new space ships for housing, customizable crew members (preferably promiscuous scantly clad green skinned ladies). I'll buy sexy clothes for you ladies, no doubt. Some people, let's call them space whales, are going to turn IRL-cash into space bucks to do so for sure.

From what I've seen and heard of the Frostbite Engine, it's supposedly super productive. Apparently it allows for real time iteration and all that funky new age engine jazz, that lets game designers iterate to their heart's content. Looking at the vast amount of assets Bioware has stuffed into Dragon Age: Inquisition, EA seems to have asset generation down to a tee too, and the fact that Mass Effect: Andromeda is supposed to be vastly grander in scope than anything Bioware did before it, I think it could pull it off, even if it had to do it post launch entirely.

As long as Bioware delivers a kick-ass singleplayer experience first (like GTAV did), and iterates on its brilliant coop (hopefully with fairer and more respectful mystery boxes) out of the gate, I think that would be the best use of their time. I bet they could kick Destiny's ass, delivering more and better content, simply because their underlying tech is lightyears ahead of whatever homebrew cripple engine Bungie works on (at least if that Jason Schreier Kotaku piece is to be believed, and in that regard I definitely do). And I think, Bioware could do it for free, just like Rockstar does it with GTA Online (which I wouldn't be surprised if they'd launch it as a stand-alone free to play title down the line, at least for consoles, where they don't have to worry about an influx of hackers). Or Warframe for that matter.

Man, Mass Effect: Andromeda could be the Destiny we always deserved. I wonder if it will be that, at some point. It's kind of an obvious move.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Mass Effect multiplayer is a thing that I enjoy (understatement of 2012) but I wouldn't really mind whether or not they had it

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

kind of want?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's probably gonna be all Liara and Tali stuff and I'll be blegh.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Bam! Snagged one!

You have to make an account with them, but it just signs you up for the one time N7 crate. I think it will definitely have an N7 hoodie in it because they ask for your sweater size. I don't care that it's never cold in Florida, I will wear that all the time.

Edit: Also, the crates wont ship until December.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Yeah, I bought it. I'm a sucker for Mass Effect stuff. sigh.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I want it but I don't like the idea of spending $75 on something sight unseen and then I open it and it's like a Tali plushy and a Tali wallscroll and a Liara T-shirt.

I want like, Legion and Reaper and Garrus and Samara and Wrex themed stuff.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I already have a Mass Effect hoodie (best autumn jacket ever!), and I'm scared of buying a box of mystery stuff.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Reminds me of Family Guy:

"A boat's a boat, but the mystery box could be anything! It could even be a boat!"

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Bioware store has a 20% off sale for the week because N7 day, plus new items everyday. Today's item is...a jumpsuit?

xjumpsuit-me-n7armourstripe-front.jpg.pagespeed.ic.NhObUIXS8H.jpg

You've gone too far this time, Bioware.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They should have gone all the way and given it feet.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    that's really awkward for clothing. you don't actually want it because you can't easily adjust the bottom for different leg lengths.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Yeah, I bought it. I'm a sucker for Mass Effect stuff. sigh.

Same.

I held off as long as I could, but in the end I caved.

Which took, umm, a couple of seconds when I heard the sale was finally live.

• Options
    Didn't they have, like, an N7 flight suit in the bioware store once? If they had made those in larger sizes I probably would have bought one for when I have to do an oilchange on my car or something.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I've been thinking, what if EA releases an online multiplayer mode post-launch, in the vein of GTA Online? Set up the entire Andromeda sector its creating for single player as a kind of competitor to Destiny? Just retooling the assets and mechanics of the singleplayer into a shared world shooter with microtransaction hooks? Adding new expensive vehicles for planetary exploration every so often, new space ships for housing, customizable crew members (preferably promiscuous scantly clad green skinned ladies). I'll buy sexy clothes for you ladies, no doubt. Some people, let's call them space whales, are going to turn IRL-cash into space bucks to do so for sure.

From what I've seen and heard of the Frostbite Engine, it's supposedly super productive. Apparently it allows for real time iteration and all that funky new age engine jazz, that lets game designers iterate to their heart's content. Looking at the vast amount of assets Bioware has stuffed into Dragon Age: Inquisition, EA seems to have asset generation down to a tee too, and the fact that Mass Effect: Andromeda is supposed to be vastly grander in scope than anything Bioware did before it, I think it could pull it off, even if it had to do it post launch entirely.

As long as Bioware delivers a kick-ass singleplayer experience first (like GTAV did), and iterates on its brilliant coop (hopefully with fairer and more respectful mystery boxes) out of the gate, I think that would be the best use of their time. I bet they could kick Destiny's ass, delivering more and better content, simply because their underlying tech is lightyears ahead of whatever homebrew cripple engine Bungie works on (at least if that Jason Schreier Kotaku piece is to be believed, and in that regard I definitely do). And I think, Bioware could do it for free, just like Rockstar does it with GTA Online (which I wouldn't be surprised if they'd launch it as a stand-alone free to play title down the line, at least for consoles, where they don't have to worry about an influx of hackers). Or Warframe for that matter.

Man, Mass Effect: Andromeda could be the Destiny we always deserved. I wonder if it will be that, at some point. It's kind of an obvious move.

That could be interesting. My first concern is that GTA Online (and Destiny, until very recently) is incredibly soulless. Your character is really just a puppet you control in various chunks of mayhem, and while that's fun at times, BioWare and Mass Effect are about characterization and choices (despite how superficial those choices may be).

ME3's multiplayer overcame that lack of characterization problem with simple, rock solid gameplay that could be digested in reasonable chunks. It was the perfect game to grab, play, and then abandon until the next time. But I'm greedy and want more than that next time.

The other big thing is loading times. Destiny has a rather long load every time you change areas. GTA Online has absolutely atrocious loading times all around (which is why I stopped playing it shortly after trying it). Any decent ME:A online effort will have to do a better job*.

*I can't speak to BioWare's effort with DA:I's multiplayer. I found the single player portion to be a bit of a chore, and had no desire to play online.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    something to keep in mind if you get that lootcrate or take advantage of the sale: those hoodies are actually like a size or two bigger than the listed size.
    I got a 3x so it would be loose, but it's actually cartoonishly large on me

edit: here's more info about their sizing
    edit2: though it is possible/likely that the lootcrate ones will be made by them, not the supplier that makes the official ones

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Heaven help me I have spung for that Lootcrate. My always procrastinating on ordering Mass Effect clothing is a blessing in disguise at least, because it means I won't get anything I already have...

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The other big thing is loading times. Destiny has a rather long load every time you change areas. GTA Online has absolutely atrocious loading times all around (which is why I stopped playing it shortly after trying it). Any decent ME:A online effort will have to do a better job*.

*I can't speak to BioWare's effort with DA:I's multiplayer. I found the single player portion to be a bit of a chore, and had no desire to play online.

The time to load the actual game in DA:I isn't bad, but the load times for menus are awful. They insist on not letting you putter around in the multiplayer menus until you've checked in with their authentication server, which is apparently running on a low-end DSL connection. This was an issue in ME3, also.

• Options
    something to keep in mind if you get that lootcrate or take advantage of the sale: those hoodies are actually like a size or two bigger than the listed size.
    I got a 3x so it would be loose, but it's actually cartoonishly large on me

edit: here's more info about their sizing
    edit2: though it is possible/likely that the lootcrate ones will be made by them, not the supplier that makes the official ones

Shit, I'd forgotten about this, and went with XXL, even though the one on my chair is XL, and I think the others might be too.

Oh well. According to their sizing chart, the difference is 1 inch in the chest, and 1 inch in the sleeves. At 6'3", having something a little on the larger side is still going to be roughly a rounding error.

• Options
    Mass Effect multiplayer is a thing that I enjoy (understatement of 2012) but I wouldn't really mind whether or not they had it

Yeah, if they do include MP(which I'm sure they will), I hope it's just the horde mode again, that was fun. Turning it into some "microtransaction hooked" Destiny clone would be awful.

• Options
    Crate is sold out. Guess I shouldn't have taken a night to make my decision! o_O

Limited Edition stuff gives me a sad.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i haven't had time to play in what feels like years ;__;

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    One of my friends is going through ME2 for the first time and will be playing ME3 soon

So for me, soooooooooon.

• Options
    Bioware did it, those maniacs! They invented another N7 jacket that I must have!

http://www.biowarestore.com/ladies-n7-armour-stripe-angl-jacket.html

ladies-jacket-me-n7angl-fronthood.jpg

• Options
    The sad thing is that though men's sizes go up to 3X and from what's been posted here they apparently run large, the ladies stuff only has XXL (which is a smaller size than 2XL, at least when it comes to ladies clothes) and they run small. That jacket would fit me on top, but probably not over my hips. Sigh. I sent a tweet to Bioware's twitter asking for larger ladies sizes. Maybe we'll get it some day, they've certainly expanded the store's lady's section by a lot.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Damn you Cambiata I clicked on the bioware store

I really don't need to drop a few hundred dollars on ME merch and yet

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Goddamn, there's a sweet ass Mordin statue for $340 on the store... I want it, but that's too much money :(

I see those Elcor plushies are back in stock. I wonder how likely it is that one of those will be in the Loot Crate. Hmmm...

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The sad thing is that though men's sizes go up to 3X and from what's been posted here they apparently run large, the ladies stuff only has XXL (which is a smaller size than 2XL, at least when it comes to ladies clothes) and they run small. That jacket would fit me on top, but probably not over my hips. Sigh. I sent a tweet to Bioware's twitter asking for larger ladies sizes. Maybe we'll get it some day, they've certainly expanded the store's lady's section by a lot.

I always thought XXL and 2XL were the same thing (maybe they are for men's stuff) - what's the difference? It'd be good to know in the future if I see them what they mean since I wear an XXL myself.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So ME2 will be free with PS+

Seriously tempted to dust off the ole PS3 and also pick up ME3.

• Options
    jclast wrote: »

I always thought XXL and 2XL were the same thing (maybe they are for men's stuff) - what's the difference? It'd be good to know in the future if I see them what they mean since I wear an XXL myself.

Just what I said, that for ladies clothes XXL is usually smaller than 2XL. Just one of those stupid things about ladies clothes sizes. I can't really say how much smaller, since every manufacturer is different.

This discussion has been closed.