Options

The [Nintendo] thread is overrun with squid

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Just as a note, I rate games by their stories. So Mario's, whose hasn't changed in any significant or lasting way over decades, is just boring to me. Every time I see a new Mario game I tune it out automatically because I know it's going to be more of the same. That's fine for some people, but there's a reason I play RPG's and other story-heavy games almost exclusively.

theres a difference between not liking something and implying that its a shell of its former self that only is used to make money

It's not a shell of its former self, it's the same thing it was decades ago, there's a difference. Shell of its former self implies it's gotten worse over time, but it hasn't. If anything Nintendo has perfected the formula. Withered husk however means that something has become dry and shriveled. This is Mario, more of the same, time and time again, brought out because it's a guaranteed cash cow. They're good games, by other people's standards, but when a story refuses to change over the course of literal decades in any meaningful fashion then it is absolutely a withered husk, wrung dry long ago of everything I'd find interesting.

This is a really, really weird way to look at something

Mario doesn't give a shit about its story and has never made any allusions that it does

You are looking at an apple and calling it a bad orange

Mario is NOT the same thing over and over, it innovates constantly

Just because its not in the area you like doesn't make any of the things you said true

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Just as a note, I rate games by their stories. So Mario's, whose hasn't changed in any significant or lasting way over decades, is just boring to me. Every time I see a new Mario game I tune it out automatically because I know it's going to be more of the same. That's fine for some people, but there's a reason I play RPG's and other story-heavy games almost exclusively.

theres a difference between not liking something and implying that its a shell of its former self that only is used to make money

It's not a shell of its former self, it's the same thing it was decades ago, there's a difference. Shell of its former self implies it's gotten worse over time, but it hasn't. If anything Nintendo has perfected the formula. Withered husk however means that something has become dry and shriveled. This is Mario, more of the same, time and time again, brought out because it's a guaranteed cash cow. They're good games, by other people's standards, but when a story refuses to change over the course of literal decades in any meaningful fashion then it is absolutely a withered husk, wrung dry long ago of everything I'd find interesting.

it absolutely is not the same thing it was at the start. That is insane.

• Options
    me and langly should say the same thing more

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I keep saying I'm talking about the story but people don't seem to notice.

Also Mario did have a story. Was a pretty basic one but that's alright. Plumber goes to save a princess from a giant lizard king. That was interesting. This wasn't some seasoned warrior hurtling through hell and back, it was a plumber, a craftsman forced into this quest by his own morals. This was Mario's story.

• Options
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Wah

Wah

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Also Mario did have a story. Was a pretty basic one but that's alright. Plumber goes to save a princess from a giant lizard king. That was interesting. This wasn't some seasoned warrior hurtling through hell and back, it was a plumber, a craftsman forced into this quest by his own morals. This was Mario's story.

dude you are reading way too far into the story of mario.

• Options
    Chincy you realize the chincilla is humping the turlte right

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

No, you're talking about the game

the thing is the story is all you care about, but you are referring to the product as a whole

other people care about other aspects of the game, so that creates a problem

You said "Mario is a withered corpse"

That is incorrect. You may think it is from a story standpoint because to you thats what matters, but it isnt the same to other people

• Options
    Chincy you realize the chincilla is humping the turlte right

I don't see your point

• Options
    like calling mario a craftsman is hilarious.

they call him a plumber but it's not like...he is a plumber. He jumps into pipes and jumps really high and kicks turtles.

Saying that the mario series is a withered husk that nintendo trots out to make money is not the same thing as saying you are not interested in the story. That is making a large generalization that the series, as a whole, has no redeeming value and is not bringing anything to the table.

That is not the case. Mario doesn't care about the story, the mario games are, to one extent or another, innovating on platforming as a genre.

An analogous comparison would be to say that Sonic is a withered husk of what it was and gets trotted out etc. Sonic is not innovating on any level, it's just garbage.

• Options

the thing is the story is all you care about, but you are referring to the product as a whole

That is incorrect. You may think it is from a story standpoint because to you thats what matters, but it isnt the same to other people

And then I clarified. You saw this clarification. To continue to assume it's about anything other than the story is ignoring that clarification and pretty much putting words into my mouth by placing your own context over what I say. This is a goose thing to do.

• Options

And then I clarified. You saw this clarification. To continue to assume it's about anything other than the story is ignoring that clarification and pretty much putting words into my mouth by placing your own context over what I say. This is a goose thing to do.

No dude, that's not what happened
    It's not a shell of its former self, it's the same thing it was decades ago, there's a difference. Shell of its former self implies it's gotten worse over time, but it hasn't. If anything Nintendo has perfected the formula. Withered husk however means that something has become dry and shriveled. This is Mario, more of the same, time and time again, brought out because it's a guaranteed cash cow. They're good games, by other people's standards, but when a story refuses to change over the course of literal decades in any meaningful fashion then it is absolutely a withered husk, wrung dry long ago of everything I'd find interesting

This sentence still says mario is the same over and over and that its just there to make money

You don't say you are talking about the story

you say "mario"

the whole thing

And you say that when mario refuses to change its story it is a withered husk

you are making an enormous generalization where you assume that what matters to you about games is ALL that matters about games

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Where is the compelling story in Mario

I mean, I don't need one

But what if you went through some crazy narrative while getting all 120 Stars?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well come on now the story of Galaxy had an alien princess manipulate you into helping her survive the death of the universe and ascend to godhood

This is highly narrative stuff here

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Where is the compelling story in Mario

I mean, I don't need one

But what if you went through some crazy narrative while getting all 120 Stars?

You didn't get the political metaphors?

The stars are like... The electoral vote. And Mario represents the electoral college. Only instead of letting the stars decide what they want to do, he forces them into a position where they'll do what he wants to (IE Gerrymandering)

Bowser is actually the hero, as he wants to take the stars so they can do their own thing.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Well come on now the story of Galaxy had an alien princess manipulate you into helping her survive the death of the universe and ascend to godhood

This is highly narrative stuff here

it definitely qualifies as a narrative

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Rosalina: secretly Galactus

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I somehow feel like I missed large swathes of what the hell Galaxy's plot was about

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    If Rosalina weren't benevolent she'd be the greatest and most successful villain in all of nintendo

• Options
    I somehow feel like I missed large swathes of what the hell Galaxy's plot was about

Rosalina is god

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I think it's unfair to say that the "story" of mario hasn't changed

super mario bros. is about mario saving peach and the mushroom kingdom from bowser
    smb2 takes place in a weird dream world where you fight a giant frog
    smb3 is a stage play
    super mario world is about mario and yoshi saving dinosaur land from bowser and the koopa kids
    super mario 64 is about reclaiming peach's castle from bowser by jumping into bizarre painting worlds
    super mario sunshine is about cleaning up a tropical island that was vandalized by shadow mario
    super mario galaxy and smg2 are about space adventures

the new super mario bros. series are the only ones that follow the same plot as the first game

• Options
    I have said repeatedly that the Mario games are good games, by other people's standards. As in what I'm saying are my standards and what I consider to be good, the key words being the personal pronouns. As in my opinions. And to me? Yes, the story IS the only thing that matters in a game, for the most part. There are exceptions, but I want a reason why I am playing a game, why I'm exploring a world and going on a quest. I can forgive everything else about a game if there's a good story to be had.

• Options

there were like...stars

and, you got them

and a woman with white hair needed them

then you gave them to her

and...you got the princess back?

that's all I got.

• Options
    Mario Galaxy reveals luigi marries peach

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I thought Super Mario Sunshine was about Peach not knowing if she's that baby's mama.

• Options
    Peach not knowing if she had a baby is amazing

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Kilroy wrote: »

super mario bros. is about mario saving peach and the mushroom kingdom from bowser
    smb3 is a stage play
    super mario world is about mario and yoshi saving dinosaur land from bowser and the koopa kids
    super mario 64 is about reclaiming peach's castle from bowser by jumping into bizarre painting worlds
    super mario sunshine is about cleaning up a tropical island that was vandalized by shadow mario

the new super mario bros. series are the only ones that follow the same plot as the first game

I said meaningful way. Mario and Peach's relationship doesn't seem to change. Bowser keeps being Bowser for whatever reasons he has. There are characters with character in Mario, such as the Paper Mario games where dialogue can be pretty good (and I played them because of the story/dialogue), but they don't show up in the platformers with that level of character.

Super Mario Sunshine is the only one that kind of shook things up by implying Baby Bowser was Peach's child. That was new and it's also the last Mario game I played. It threatened to upset the status quo and then...didn't. Things remained the same, and that's when I was done with the series.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I, for one, play Mario games for the deep intricate characters and plot.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I have said repeatedly that the Mario games are good games, by other people's standards. As in what I'm saying are my standards and what I consider to be good, the key words being the personal pronouns. As in my opinions. And to me? Yes, the story IS the only thing that matters in a game, for the most part. There are exceptions, but I want a reason why I am playing a game, why I'm exploring a world and going on a quest. I can forgive everything else about a game if there's a good story to be had.

That's because your standards are batshit

Like if you literally dont care about anything other than the story then why are you even playing games

Spend your game playing time reading novels and watching films, they have on average much better writing than random JRPG schlock

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

smb3 is a stage play

I said meaningful way. Mario and Peach's relationship doesn't seem to change. Bowser keeps being Bowser for whatever reasons he has. There are characters with character in Mario, such as the Paper Mario games where dialogue can be pretty good (and I played them because of the story/dialogue), but they don't show up in the platformers with that level of character.

Super Mario Sunshine is the only one that kind of shook things up by implying Baby Bowser was Peach's child. That was new and it's also the last Mario game I played. It threatened to upset the status quo and then...didn't. Things remained the same, and that's when I was done with the series.

alright dude, just keep moving those goalposts

• Options
    You could probably read the complete works of William Shakespeare in the time it takes to play a story heavy jrpg

• Options

Like if you literally only care about anything other than the story then why are you even playing games

Spend your game playing time reading novels and watching films, they have on average much better writing than random JRPG schlock

Why do you automatically assume RPG means only JRPG? Or that I can't do both reading and gaming? I mean is there something stopping me from reading a book for a couple chapters, playing a game for a bit, then doing my own writing with what I've picked up from both?

smb3 is a stage play

Nothing's moved. I said "significant or lasting change" on the last page and haven't changed stance since.

• Options

Like if you literally only care about anything other than the story then why are you even playing games

Why do you automatically assume RPG means only JRPG? Or that I can't do both reading and gaming? I mean is there something stopping me from reading a book for a couple chapters, playing a game for a bit, then doing my own writing with what I've picked up from both?

smb3 is a stage play

Nothing's moved. I said "significant or lasting change" on the last page and haven't changed stance since.

If literally all you care about in a game is story, there are essentially 0 games that tell a better story than any good book or movie

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bowser destabilizes the universe to make a Bowser Galaxy
    Mario stops him but the universe implodes.
    Every Luma including Silver enters the epicenter and goes off allowing Rosalina to restart it.

Rosalina creates and exact copy of the old universe and Mario is seemingly the only one who remembers the events of the game

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

smb3 is a stage play

If literally all you care about in a game is story, there are essentially 0 games that tell a better story than any good book or movie

Last of us

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    well now I have

A Wii u
    Nintendoland
    Mario 3d world
    Wind waker
    Smash bros
    And a pro controller

Coming to my house tomorrow

I hope you're goddamn happy, Nintendo thread

(i am pretty happy)

• Options
    edited May 2015

smb3 is a stage play

ico
    SotC
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Earthbound
    Mother 3
    What's out so far of Kentucky Route Zero
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Silent Hill 2

That is more or less an exhaustive list of games I know of with stories that fully rise above rote pulp genre fiction (and at least some of those are pretty contentious)

If you're not playing one of those and you exclusively care about good story, then you are wasting your time playing video games, because you could be spending your time with a better story

Speed Racer on
  • Options

smb3 is a stage play

Last of us

putting aside my personal feelings on last of us

no, not even close

the last of us is a good game story

its not even close to any good post apocalypse book, or even film

to be clear, this isn't me bashing games

I'm saying that if Madican Truly, TRULY doesn't care about ANY ASPECT of the game but story, he is spending his time unwisely

my GUESS is that he actually does and either doesn't realize it or is denying it for some other reason

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    you're forgetting the narrative genius that was rising zan: samurai gunman speed

7yh4xczljsym.png
This discussion has been closed.