Options

The [Nintendo] thread is overrun with squid

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Last of us comes pretty close

There's a few transcendent moments in that story

But large swathes of it are about on par with any ol action movie

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Wait

Conduit 2

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 2

haha, you're a funny person, speed racer

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Super Mario Bros. resurrected the North American console industry; erasing it from history would be catastrophic,as who knows how much longer that industry would take to recover, if it ever did. Without it Nintendo might not have made Zelda or Metroid either.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid 2

haha, you're a funny person, speed racer

This is not a fight I'm ready for today

And it's certainly not a fight anyone in the nintendo thread wants to read through

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Games that can tell a better story than a book or movie? That's super easy.

Planescape: Torment

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The best video game story telling is diablo 3

followed closely by star craft 2 (all of it but especially heart of the swarm)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I have said repeatedly that the Mario games are good games, by other people's standards. As in what I'm saying are my standards and what I consider to be good, the key words being the personal pronouns. As in my opinions. And to me? Yes, the story IS the only thing that matters in a game, for the most part. There are exceptions, but I want a reason why I am playing a game, why I'm exploring a world and going on a quest. I can forgive everything else about a game if there's a good story to be had.

That's because your standards are batshit

Like if you literally only care about anything other than the story then why are you even playing games

Spend your game playing time reading novels and watching films, they have on average much better writing than random JRPG schlock

Why do you automatically assume RPG means only JRPG? Or that I can't do both reading and gaming? I mean is there something stopping me from reading a book for a couple chapters, playing a game for a bit, then doing my own writing with what I've picked up from both?
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to say that the "story" of mario hasn't changed

super mario bros. is about mario saving peach and the mushroom kingdom from bowser
    smb2 takes place in a weird dream world where you fight a giant frog
    smb3 is a stage play
    super mario world is about mario and yoshi saving dinosaur land from bowser and the koopa kids
    super mario 64 is about reclaiming peach's castle from bowser by jumping into bizarre painting worlds
    super mario sunshine is about cleaning up a tropical island that was vandalized by shadow mario
    super mario galaxy and smg2 are about space adventures

the new super mario bros. series are the only ones that follow the same plot as the first game

I said meaningful way. Mario and Peach's relationship doesn't seem to change. Bowser keeps being Bowser for whatever reasons he has. There are characters with character in Mario, such as the Paper Mario games where dialogue can be pretty good (and I played them because of the story/dialogue), but they don't show up in the platformers with that level of character.

Super Mario Sunshine is the only one that kind of shook things up by implying Baby Bowser was Peach's child. That was new and it's also the last Mario game I played. It threatened to upset the status quo and then...didn't. Things remained the same, and that's when I was done with the series.

alright dude, just keep moving those goalposts

Nothing's moved. I said "significant or lasting change" on the last page and haven't changed stance since.

If literally all you care about in a game is story, there are essentially 0 games that tell a better story than any good book or movie

Morrowind.
    Deus Ex.
    Dragon Age.
    Lords of Shadow.
    Dark Souls.

I don't understand why you seem to think I should forsake games just because they're "not as good" as books or movies in terms of telling a story. They're not competing, they tell their stories in fundamentally different ways. I can read a book, watch a movie (rarely, scriptwriting is different), and play a game and experience all of their stories to incorporate what I learn into my own.

I didn't say I don't care about other aspects of games, I said that story is the only part that matters to me. I will absolutely forgive game mechanics to get to a fantastic story. Does that mean I don't care about them? Or music? Or art? Not at all, I'd rather they all function well as a whole and let me immerse myself into the game. But in the end it comes down to the story.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    the last of us is like

it's basically cormac mccarthy's the road: junior edition

which isn't a bad thing or anything but it's just...a not very original entry in a genre that cribs very heavily from itself already

it's presented pretty well, and there are some good moments

but it feels like it's just going through the motions for the lot of the story

one of the people I played that game with called that the last set of antagonists were cannibals before any evidence was presented of that, just because we hadn't seen cannibals yet and you can't do post-apocalyptic fiction without dudes eating dudes

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

realm of ter-ooooorrrrrr

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Super Mario Bros. resurrected the North American console industry; erasing it from history would be catastrophic,as who knows how much longer that industry would take to recover, if it ever did. Without it Nintendo might not have made Zelda or Metroid either.

It's hard to say

A huge contributor to the NES' success was ROB, since toy stores were reluctant to stock video games but were okay with stocking a toy robot

So even without mario they get their foot in the door, and from there it's a question of whether they'd be able to come up with a pack in as good as mario

And that's sort of where the thought experiment falls apart because who knows what they would have come up with if they hadnt come up with Mario

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Metroid is obviously the correct answer to that Sophie's Choice question, but I honestly don't think I could make it. I'd sacrifice Zelda, knowing the whole time that I was making the wrong decision. Samus is my favorite video game character. Super Metroid is probably my favorite game of all time. I don't have that attachment to Zelda or Mario. I can't be objective in this.
    What if pokemon never existed.

In some alternate universe where portable gaming all but died in the early 00's, there's a version of me with this huge sense of emptiness, as though there were a giant hole in his life, and he has no idea why.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The correct answer is to just eliminate Nintendo as a whole and save all of us from this hellish life that video games have led us to.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    There are game stories that I enjoy more than damn near any book or film.

But that's because I find the nature of the interactivity of games more compelling than a more well realized narrative most of the time.

An OK story + fun gameplay is a greater experience than a great story by itself for me. A whole greater than the sum of its parts, as it were.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

I hate you so much

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I have said repeatedly that the Mario games are good games, by other people's standards. As in what I'm saying are my standards and what I consider to be good, the key words being the personal pronouns. As in my opinions. And to me? Yes, the story IS the only thing that matters in a game, for the most part. There are exceptions, but I want a reason why I am playing a game, why I'm exploring a world and going on a quest. I can forgive everything else about a game if there's a good story to be had.

Like if you literally only care about anything other than the story then why are you even playing games

Spend your game playing time reading novels and watching films, they have on average much better writing than random JRPG schlock

Why do you automatically assume RPG means only JRPG? Or that I can't do both reading and gaming? I mean is there something stopping me from reading a book for a couple chapters, playing a game for a bit, then doing my own writing with what I've picked up from both?

super mario bros. is about mario saving peach and the mushroom kingdom from bowser
    smb3 is a stage play
    super mario world is about mario and yoshi saving dinosaur land from bowser and the koopa kids
    super mario 64 is about reclaiming peach's castle from bowser by jumping into bizarre painting worlds
    super mario sunshine is about cleaning up a tropical island that was vandalized by shadow mario

the new super mario bros. series are the only ones that follow the same plot as the first game

I said meaningful way. Mario and Peach's relationship doesn't seem to change. Bowser keeps being Bowser for whatever reasons he has. There are characters with character in Mario, such as the Paper Mario games where dialogue can be pretty good (and I played them because of the story/dialogue), but they don't show up in the platformers with that level of character.

Super Mario Sunshine is the only one that kind of shook things up by implying Baby Bowser was Peach's child. That was new and it's also the last Mario game I played. It threatened to upset the status quo and then...didn't. Things remained the same, and that's when I was done with the series.

Nothing's moved. I said "significant or lasting change" on the last page and haven't changed stance since.

If literally all you care about in a game is story, there are essentially 0 games that tell a better story than any good book or movie

Morrowind.
    Deus Ex.
    Dragon Age.
    Lords of Shadow.
    Dark Souls.

I don't understand why you seem to think I should forsake games just because they're "not as good" as books or movies in terms of telling a story. They're not competing, they tell their stories in fundamentally different ways. I can read a book, watch a movie (rarely, scriptwriting is different), and play a game and experience all of their stories to incorporate what I learn into my own.

I didn't say I don't care about other aspects of games, I said that story is the only part that matters to me. I will absolutely forgive game mechanics to get to a fantastic story. Does that mean I don't care about them? Or music? Or art? Not at all, I'd rather they all function well as a whole and let me immerse myself into the game. But in the end it comes down to the story.

If you are serious about this list then this conversation is pointless

I like most of those games but the stories are c-grade genre fiction in every one that would be crap without the actual game part

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

smb3 is a stage play

ico
    SotC
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Earthbound
    Mother 3
    What's out so far of Kentucky Route Zero
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Silent Hill 2

That is more or less an exhaustive list of games I know of with stories that fully rise above rote pulp genre fiction (and at least some of those are pretty contentious)

If you're not playing one of those and you exclusively care about good story, then you are wasting your time playing video games, because you could be spending your time with a better story

uhhhh

hmmmmmm

uhhhhhh

wow yeah I cannot think of any that would be legitimately qualified as better than "acceptable"

like, Wolfenstein the New Order is, literally, one of the best written and executed game narratives in recent years (in my opinion), and the reason for that is competence. In both writing and editing.

• Options

smb3 is a stage play

Morrowind.
    Deus Ex.
    Dragon Age.
    Lords of Shadow.
    Dark Souls.

lords of shadow are you serious, are you a serious person

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    There are game stories that I enjoy more than damn near any book or film.

But that's because I find the nature of the interactivity of games more compelling than a more well realized narrative most of the time.

An OK story + fun gameplay is a greater experience than a great story by itself for me. A whole greater than the sum of its parts, as it were.

yeah I definitely think one reason that games get away with adequate story telling is the interactive nature of the medium. Which is totally fine.

• Options
    Like game stories resonate LARGELY because you engage with them on a level you don't in other media

Saying you only like the story in a game, or only judge it hy its story, is missing the POINT of games

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

smb3 is a stage play

Morrowind.
    Deus Ex.
    Dragon Age.
    Lords of Shadow.
    Dark Souls.

lords of shadow are you serious, are you a serious person

I enjoyed the story. I did not play any of the DLC or post-game content.

• Options
    personally I thought that Gone Home told a story that rises above rote genre fiction but I know that many people would disagree

• Options
    personally I thought that Gone Home told a story that rises above rote genre fiction but I know that many people would disagree

I forgot about gone home actually

It's definitely up there story wise

In my mind it didn't quiiiiite hit the level it wanted to, but it laid a lot of important groundwork for future games

• Options
    I consider it more "important" than "good"

• Options
    I think Gone Home gets pretty high praise for telling a fairly unique story in the realm of the medium itself but I don't think the story is very compelling, in and of itself.

Like Gone Home is the exact example to use in this scenario. The interactive nature of the narrative and the way the story is relayed through exploration is what makes it good.

I wasn't blown away by it but I definitely understand why other people were, and it's the way the project works as a whole that does that.

If you were just reading the transcript you'd be like ok whatever, this is kind of a sentimental epistolary coming of age story

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Don't forsake video games madican just forsake this thread

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    I think Gone Home gets pretty high praise for telling a fairly unique story in the realm of the medium itself but I don't think the story is very compelling, in and of itself.

Like Gone Home is the exact example to use in this scenario. The interactive nature of the narrative and the way the story is relayed through exploration is what makes it good.

I wasn't blown away by it but I definitely understand why other people were, and it's the way the project works as a whole that does that.

If you were just reading the transcript you'd be like ok whatever, this is kind of a sentimental epistolary coming of age story

I would argue that the story of Gone Home isn't just the content of Sam's audiologs, but Kaitlin's exploration of the house. There are a lot of elements of Kaitlin's experience that are told through game mechanics which would need written descriptions if it were being told in prose form

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah Langley beat me to it, but I was gonna say that Gone home is a great example of what I was talking about.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I hate you so much

I'm sorry you can't appreciate the depth and quality of stories which deal with that which we all fear most: corruption of attractive young women

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

I hate you so much

I'm sorry you can't appreciate the depth and quality of stories which deal with that which we all fear most: corruption of attractive young women

Do you think Chris metzen just has gigs and gigs of corruption hentai on his computer

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Ah, so Metroid Prime 3 must be the defining story of the medium then.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I think chris metzen laughs himself to sleep on the giant pile of money he made writing the same cliched story over and over

• Options

I hate you so much

Do you think Chris metzen just has gigs and gigs of corruption hentai on his computer

You mean, like in addition to the normal amount?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The most surprising thing Christ Metzen has ever written was the player not killing Imperious in the first diablo 3 expansion

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I think chris metzen laughs himself to sleep on the giant pile of money he made writing the same cliched story over and over

.... Money and also corruption porn?

• Options
    hey guys I got this great story idea. Check it out:

what if, like, a good person needed to fight some evil so they tapped into a forbidden power and then became evil themselves?

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I just started keeping track of when the corruption plot point came up instead of if it would happen, in WoW.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The most surprising thing Christ Metzen has ever written was the player not killing Imperious in the first diablo 3 expansion

yrel is also not corrupted despite explicitly being described as having a dark secret on the world of warcraft website so he's 2 for 400 so far

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    All the stories that have affected me most in my life, by a huge margin, are in video games.

I love a good book, although have really fallen off them lately, but they just don't do it for me in the same way

Although, some of my favorite video game stories are in visual novels, which are just literally choose your own adventure books with pictures.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Not sure if anyone can even answer this, but I'm looking to revive my N64 as a game console and I'm in need of some controllers and games. Is there a place I would be able to find these things on the cheap? Or is Ebay and random shady internet resellers the only way to go?

This discussion has been closed.