Options

[Painting Miniatures] Step one put paint on miniature, Step two finished

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Aw, I had some high hopes for TGG2 :/ Looks like I'm gonna pass on buying any of those (unless I find a physical store that carries them).

Anyway, pretty happy with how this guy is turning out:
    Bh4h1rl.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    AUGHHH doublepost.

Mayday on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    After an break from painting enforced by the fact that I was in Florida for 5 weeks I've finally got started again. Here are some Ethiopian officers I'm working on.
    a653d21kw5dc.jpg
    :

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    BizaroPrimeBizaroPrime Registered User regular
    Trucking along, painted up 3 character models for my AM/Salamander army over the past 3 days, so here is a crappy group shot

IMG_20160324_230006.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 0619-3666-8604
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Double Post. Forums are acting funky.

BizaroPrime on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Triple Post. Ack!

BizaroPrime on
  • Options
    Triple Post. Ack!

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Why you post so much?! ;P

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Quick question, I am working on a large mini, and parts of it, like a tile floor, need to be "shiny". I don't think I can find brush on gloss varnish for just that part, and I dont want the whole mini to be shiny. So I am saying spray gloss varnish on the whole thing is out. I am lazy enough that I dont want to tape up the mini for partial gloss and dullcoat sprayings either.

Would clear nail polish work for this?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    What do you mean you can't find brush-on gloss varnish?

Vallejo and Tamiya both sell dropper bottles/pots of whatever varnish style you need.

• Options

Vallejo and Tamiya both sell dropper bottles/pots of whatever varnish style you need.

"I don't feel like waiting on shipping and paying 6$ shipping for a 3$ order when I could go out and get an alternative in 5 minutes" Is what I mean

fake edit: ok amazon has brush gloss varnish for 6$ prime, but still.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    On the one hand, brush on varnish is useful to have in general. On the other, if I was working on a large model, I'd rather use what I consider to be the appropriate tools, rather than ad hoc something and hope for the best. If the nail polish ends up not working as desired, was it worth the trade off of not waiting until Tuesday for an Amazon order to show up?

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I'd say go for it. Just test it on something minor first.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    consecrators 2 - 4 mostly done. finest iphone pics:

IMG_0157_zpsbg9whfoz.jpg
    IMG_0156_zpspjaqasdf.jpg

IMG_0155_zpszrbs2khd.jpg

IMG_0153_zpsf8wmq0eu.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Wow I didn't expect such a devisive response and figured someone here had used it before. I have flat sealer from reaper that I normally use. I'll order the gloss varnish off Amazon, thanks for the advice everyone!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Is there no arts and crafts store by you? Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc? They will have plenty of brush on gloss varnish available for instant purchase. Liquitex is the biggest name.

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

"I don't feel like waiting on shipping and paying 6$ shipping for a 3$ order when I could go out and get an alternative in 5 minutes" Is what I mean

fake edit: ok amazon has brush gloss varnish for 6$ prime, but still.

Alternatively, do what I have done for "shiny" gems:
    Apply gloss medium over top of your varnish. You just add sheen. Can find it at any art store and shouldn't be any more expensive.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    I've started edging the rust patches to give them depth. It's such a small step but makes a huge impact.

d10ljbgjacvr.jpg

I'll start basecoating the trim with Warplock Bronze next.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    K, help out a newbie here.

I'm about to tackle assembling and painting the watcher from Kingdom Death Monster. I'm in the planning stage, and what im generally shooting for is that his body will be that of a faded dark grey cloak. This will kinda be the first time ive tried to layer colors to produce a faded effect.

So I started a few test paints on some cardboard just to see how the colors work.

I did a square of chaos black, then on top of it, some Eshin grey, followed by Mechanicus standard grey.

I also did a square where i started with eshin, then just went to mechanicus.

Both of these turned out pretty much the same. is mechanicus, being a base paint not the correct color to use if im trying to lighten the grey just a bit? Can i just water it so i get more of a shade instead?

Next, I picked up a Nihilakh Oxide technical paint because i thought it might look good as the inside of his hood, glowing blue, but my samples painted on top of the grey of my cardboard tests show its a bit too translucent. Should i do the inside with something like skink blue or Imrik blue (dry paints), then do the Nihilakh over top of that for a more irridecent color?

Heres kind of what im shooting for with different color schemes.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2871146/kingdom-death-monster?size=medium

Thanks for your advice.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the whole point of the citadel base range is that it's opaque and heavily pigmented. You want layers for, well, layering.
    Also, Nihilakh Oxide is weird; it's intended for creating verdigris effects on weathered copper (and its alloys) rather than as a regular paint so it tends to draw the pigment it contains into recesses and generally behaves opposite to how you want a paint to. GW made a whole series of videos about their technical range, here's the one for NO:
    https://youtu.be/yw3iLEW1P2o

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    For the grey/black i'd suggest starting with a lighter grey and then using washes to make it darker.
    I'm not sure how much detail is on the mini you are talking about though, if there are huge flat areas washes are not so good, but assuming there are folds and texture etc washes are a pretty newbie friendly technique that give nice results

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I have seen Nihilakh Oxide used to good effect in GW's painting videos on youtube. Duncan uses it on the ghosts in the Nagash videos and I think maybe that's what you're after? You may want to check those out.

When it comes to painting cloaks I'm a big fan of putting down the base color then mixing in black in very thin layers to do shading then doing the same thing using white for the highlights. That technique pretty much demands a wet palette though. Washes are good for shading especially if you're new at painting but I find that big, flowy cloaks tend to look like ass when shaded with a wash but that's just my opinion.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Little confused...whats the difference between 'very thin layers' and a wash from your description. wouldnt you have to water down the paint to produce your thin layers?

• Options
    Washes are still MUCH thinner than anything you'd use for normal layering. They also contain flow improvers, which is supposed to cause them to flow into the recesses rather than stick to the surface evenly.
    (bear in mind, a little bit of flow improver also helps with basecoating, as it will allow for an even coverage).

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The consistency, basically. "Very thin layers" are still thicker than washes. You still use water or medium to thin it down, you just don't use as much.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Little confused...whats the difference between 'very thin layers' and a wash from your description. wouldnt you have to water down the paint to produce your thin layers?
    Application, consistency, pigment type, usually.
    Washes are close to (or literally are) inks like from a fountain pen; very free flowing, designed to pool in recesses and, if not managed right, prone to leaving 'tide lines' on the higher surfaces. You generally use a wash by just covering the whole surface and letting capillary action do the rest.

Very thin layers on the other hand are, indeed, thinned paint, but they are still paint and, ideally, go where they are put and stay there instead of flowing off the curves. More time consuming and difficult to use than a wash by far but will produce a more controlled result.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Washes are still MUCH thinner than anything you'd use for normal layering. They also contain flow improvers, which is supposed to cause them to flow into the recesses rather than stick to the surface evenly.
    (bear in mind, a little bit of flow improver also helps with basecoating, as it will allow for an even coverage).
    The consistency, basically. "Very thin layers" are still thicker than washes. You still use water or medium to thin it down, you just don't use as much.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Application, consistency, pigment type, usually.
    Washes are close to (or literally are) inks like from a fountain pen; very free flowing, designed to pool in recesses and, if not managed right, prone to leaving 'tide lines' on the higher surfaces. You generally use a wash by just covering the whole surface and letting capillary action do the rest.

Very thin layers on the other hand are, indeed, thinned paint, but they are still paint and, ideally, go where they are put and stay there instead of flowing off the curves. More time consuming and difficult to use than a wash by far but will produce a more controlled result.

Painter hive-mind activated.

• Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Made some more progress with my fightboys. Excuse the quality.

pxpuyhab0e20.jpg
    uea7mn51hb73.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    TacoForce wrote: »
    Excuse the quality.

Excuse it for making me angry because it's so high? No.

EDIT: Also that color scheme is fucking amazeballs.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Those look good and you should feel good

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Anyone have tips on making realistic looking skin tones? I'm using the Reaper Tanned Skin triad, but on wide pieces (Kingdom Death Lady Legs (so much flat space)) I can not get things to blend nicely and not look stupid. Regions with depth I can do a decent job on, these flat spaces are just driving me nuts.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The Forge World Fairy dropped by today.

o9ji82fhr63y.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    Anyone have tips on making realistic looking skin tones? I'm using the Reaper Tanned Skin triad, but on wide pieces (Kingdom Death Lady Legs (so much flat space)) I can not get things to blend nicely and not look stupid. Regions with depth I can do a decent job on, these flat spaces are just driving me nuts.

Koreg, I'm having similar issues, and I've found a few youtube videos that might help you, just search for 'painting flesh' and you should find a few. The good thing about KDM tho, is that you arent really limited in flesh tones. I have a blue skinned survivor, etc.

• Options
    So i was watching some Games workshop youtube videos last night on the technical paints.

The Agrellian Earth /Martian Ironearth paint that produces a 'cracked ground' look is pretty awesome. What i was wondering is how well it would hold up and look if painted on the actual model instead of just on the base? I was thinking it might give a cool textured look on some of the KDM monsters but if its really fragile after it dries, then that wouldnt work well.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    So i was watching some Games workshop youtube videos last night on the technical paints.

The Agrellian Earth /Martian Ironearth paint that produces a 'cracked ground' look is pretty awesome. What i was wondering is how well it would hold up and look if painted on the actual model instead of just on the base? I was thinking it might give a cool textured look on some of the KDM monsters but if its really fragile after it dries, then that wouldnt work well.

Crackle paint can be used on models in this way to great effect.

EDIT: Like so

4y3s0znkmt3q.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Also in regard to it becoming fragile, you could apply the crackle paint before priming, or seal it with varnish before continuing on.

I'm planning to use a combination of crackle paint and Vallejo's 'Black Lava' texture paint to give my future Renegade and Nurgle forces a more dilapidated look.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    awesome. Now i gotta find some i can pick up on the way home so i can play with it. I was at a games workshop store across town over the weekend and picked up a lot of paint, but i didnt know what this one did at the time so didnt buy it. Don't think the hobby stores nearby have all the technicals.

• Options
    I've just ordered some Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint from Amazon, it's the best reviewed crackle paint I've encountered so far.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    On the home stretch now...

viinj3r7jrx5.jpg

rvubpv0lxhtc.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    That's grimy! Great job on keeping it 100% Nurgle and yet not stupidly overdone, like people often do.

Meanwhile, I'm on the home stretch as well. This thing took about twice as much time as I expected... Also my lovely client glued the pants backwards and the feet are on the wrong sides...

XqXkErE.jpg?1

Mayday on
This discussion has been closed.