Options

[Painting Miniatures] Step one put paint on miniature, Step two finished

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, I'm terrible at painting in that all I really do is black base, dark colour, wash and highlight and it usually looks bad.

But how do you get skin, blacks and white's to work out? Because working on Infinity Nomad's stuff those tones come up alot and feel hard to make actually work or look good.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Perfect skin for beginners in two minutes:

1 basecoat with an Ivory/Sand/"bleached bone" "Jack bone" or whatever. DON'T use white.
    2 wash with Army Painter Flesh wash.
    3 that's it
    4 no, I'm serious, that's all

proof here: http://goblinart.pl/mps/photos/lvl1/018-scouts.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Alright, nerds. Opinion time.

Keep the white and gold or switch it up for silver (or brass) and some other color? The green marble is staying.

hxDIjM3m.jpg
    3ij4sQNm.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    white and gold

that looks awesome

• Options
    Gold works great as a warm counterpoint to the cold scheme. A++, would watch again.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Gold for exactly the reason Mayday said.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    No matter where I look the white is drawing my eyes away from the marble.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Try and make it white marble similar to the black marble? Either that or some sort of insignia, the lack of features on the shoulder draws attention from all the other detailed areas

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Well it's going to get a black marking, this is just WIP. I would most likely also add some gray veins to the white to make it look like marble.

Other consideration: what about warm, cream marble instead of cold white? Though I feel like doing that would demand cold metal trim.

Further consideration: the shoulder pad color will also be used for much of the armor for the officers.

Damn, there's a lot of potential here.

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    What about dirty white? give it a brown or green wash, make it look almost mossy. Or do a cold marble, with grey/blue streaks and wash with a sepia.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    How do you even do the marble effect

Are you a wizard

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So I have just started working on the Lonely tree. This is easily the biggest model I have worked on, and I will be doing it only with brushes. Any advice on how to work on it?

I am trying to make it look like a sycamore in the fall. So the trunk will go from a brown to bone white, and the leaves will fade from a nice red to a light green. Hopefully I can pull off the color transitions.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So much MDF terrain to paint...
    prnRK51.jpg?1

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Where'd you get it all from, Sharp? Curious for my own selfish reasons.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    It's a 4x4 set of Necromunda terrain from Wargames Tournaments

If you are looking for other MDF terrain, I bought some stuff from Sarissa Precision that I enjoyed putting together.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I look forward to all my guys falling off that stuff this weekend.
    Both figuratively and literally.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    FINALLY got these guys finished. I've been so busy with work, and a potential move... Pretty happy with the end result.
    iacffadljdz8.jpg
    Just need to finish up a couple bases.

r43r.JPG 111.3K
  • Options
    That scheme may be a classic, but damn if it doesn't look astounding.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize painting miniatures involved eating so much paint. One of the guys on the show used his tongue to thin the paint on the brush, and the other wanted to use his tongue to make the brush a finer point

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I didn't realize painting miniatures involved eating so much paint. One of the guys on the show used his tongue to thin the paint on the brush, and the other wanted to use his tongue to make the brush a finer point

Using your lips to keep a point on your brush after cleaning is completely normal, one of the best ways to do it.

Putting paint straight into your mouth a little less so.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    All my brushes are so tattered none of it matters to me anyway

• Options

This happens when you are too rough with your brush, or if you put too much paint on the brush and it gets into the metal ferrule at the top of the bristles. Once paint gets in there it's pretty much impossible to clean out. Once it dries your bristles will start fraying.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I dip my brush into the paint water briefly and the smooth it to a point in the crease on my palm.
    I never use my mouth

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    The trick there, is really sweaty palms.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Bleugh! Brushlicking for life. In fact, I've painted the following entirely by licking my brushes. (to do: scratches and bases)

eDncRYx.jpg
    joK2QQD.jpg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Why do they have no feet armor?

Do they not have an Achilles in GrimDark?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Koreg wrote: »
    Why do they have no feet armor?

Do they not have an Achilles in GrimDark?

No he's in Infinity.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    They have hooves which is nearly the same thing...

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So... newbie question here. Are those corks and wire there to hold the figure during painting?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So... newbie question here. Are those corks and wire there to hold the figure during painting?

Yup, gives you something more substantial to hold onto while painting. Also easier to get into all the nooks and crannies.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yep! It basically allows you to hold on to the mini without:

1) Getting your hands dirty, but more importantly...
    2) Without your fat fingers getting in the way.

• Options
    It also allows you to airbrush a shadow from below without the base getting in the way. There are multiple benefits and I heartily recommend this method. Bear in mind, normal wine corks are too narrow for me (they lose balance easily). These are 25mm in diameter (1").

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    It also allows you to airbrush a shadow from below without the base getting in the way. There are multiple benefits and I heartily recommend this method. Bear in mind, normal wine corks are too narrow for me (they lose balance easily). These are 25mm in diameter (1").

Ooooh. Tell me more, sensei.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    That's... pretty much it. After applying the dominant base colour, do a zenithal highlight (airbrush a brighter colour from above), and then airbrush a darker colour from below.
    I think I've seen some videos where they would do this, but it's bedtime for me now, so I won't be of much help. If you're not sure what I mean, I'll try to do a demonstration tomorrow.

Mayday on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Awesome thanks for the information. Will definitely remember that for when I start out.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »

This happens when you are too rough with your brush, or if you put too much paint on the brush and it gets into the metal ferrule at the top of the bristles. Once paint gets in there it's pretty much impossible to clean out. Once it dries your bristles will start fraying.

It also happens when they are all 10 years old :P

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Alright, nerds. Opinion time.

Keep the white and gold or switch it up for silver (or brass) and some other color? The green marble is staying.

hxDIjM3m.jpg
    3ij4sQNm.jpg

What white and gold? It's blue and gold....

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Perfect skin for beginners in two minutes:

1 basecoat with an Ivory/Sand/"bleached bone" "Jack bone" or whatever. DON'T use white.
    2 wash with Army Painter Flesh wash.
    3 that's it
    4 no, I'm serious, that's all

proof here: http://goblinart.pl/mps/photos/lvl1/018-scouts.jpg

Ok, I just plain cannot do normal skin tones on minis and actively avoid human minis/minis with faces. I will try this and report back. I have bleached bone and flesh wash on hand I believe.

So I got to start playing D&D again, and have a character that is a wererat. We hit a point in the campaign and the DM said the sweetest words he can utter:
    "You guys get to choose your mount as a reward, go hog wild flavor wise"
    me: "I want a giant ginger chef that I ride under the cap of"
    Him:"*sigh* ok"
    me: *runs off to the pile of reaper minis*

So I took this mini (not my paint)

4835f2e3da0858cde778769e6f7bd669.jpg

And got converting. he would need a pan, chef hat, accrutiments and a shiny kitchen tile floor. This is my first attempt at doing more with greenstuff than filling gaps. Also as stated above I'm terrible with skin tones, along with large models, so this thing was going to be quite the challenge. I am really happy with how it turned out.

WIP Albulm

Final product:
    KzLA7k0.jpg?1
    HN79Dt0.jpg
    So the skin tone is so light that its actually really hard to get it with its shading in pictures, which I think means it came out well? :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I love the salt and pepper shakers.

This discussion has been closed.