Options

[Painting Miniatures] Step one put paint on miniature, Step two finished

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    So i was watching some Games workshop youtube videos last night on the technical paints.

The Agrellian Earth /Martian Ironearth paint that produces a 'cracked ground' look is pretty awesome. What i was wondering is how well it would hold up and look if painted on the actual model instead of just on the base? I was thinking it might give a cool textured look on some of the KDM monsters but if its really fragile after it dries, then that wouldnt work well.

Crackle paint can be used on models in this way to great effect.

EDIT: Like so

4y3s0znkmt3q.jpg

So if you wanted a different color for the crackle paint, would you paint it after it dried, or could you mix in some other colors before it sets?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    My understanding from some tutorials I've read suggest that you would paint the darker base colour, add the crackle paint, seal the crackle layer with varnish to strengthen it and then paint the crackles themselves the highlight colour.

EDIT: demonstration videoooo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsosQTl6Nds

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Hey, right now they're doing Watching Paint Dry. They repair the mechs from last combat session and get the OpFor assembled and painted. They use 3d printed supersized models from the MWO assets (and upcoming Battletech game by Harebrained Schemes)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    So I'll be cross-posting this in the Boardgames thread as well, but this seems as good a place as any to ask.

What is your favourite shop to check out for minis? I've looked at Reaper and they have a few particular pieces I like in bone material, and I don't mind buying individual figures in singles, but if you know of a site or anything that does a multi-pack of the same "minion", that'd be ideal. Something like a 3-pack or 5-pack of generic skeletons, orcs or goblins for example. They don't all need to be in the same pose, so whatever would work, honestly.

I also looked at Wizards of the Coast's site, which sells minis, but again, I'm looking for bigger quantities of a similar creature, rather than an assortment of creatures one of their pre-made adventure packs would include.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I know Games Workshop sells packs of 3-5 (depending on the faction) minis for $10. Here's Orcs and skeletons.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Games Workshop was something else I was looking at. Do they come with the "terrain" bases as well, or are they capable of standing up on their own (or have a circular base anywhere?)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Not many GW models do come with terrain bases, just hero units. Plus if they're Fantasy minis they likely don't include round bases either.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    CeyUOWhWAAEwn3j.jpg
    CeyUOWqWsAADTPH.jpg
    CeyUOWrW8AAyjYp.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    So, i picked up a games workshop 'dry' paint the other day, and its basically a ball of hard bubble gum. I presume it just had a bad seal and leaked out. Is there anything i can do to wake it up or does it just go in the trash?

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dry paint is supposed to be dry - it is meant to be used for dry brushing.

(That's why it is called "dry" paint!)

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Eins zwei dry

• Options
    I realize its suppose to be dry but this felt like rubber. none of it was going on the brush, its completely solid.

• Options
    If that's the case, ask for a replacement. That's not how it's supposed to work.

• Options
    I figured, just wanted to see if i could add water or something to break it up.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any good tutorials on sponge weathering? I'm ready to start weathering my 1/48 scale Mega Size Zaku II and doing chips with just a brush would take millennium. It's an 18" tall model.

• Options
    Okay, here's a bit of theory for such cases:
    No matter if the paint is rubbery or just a bit goopy, thinning it with water does NOT bring it back to the original state. Acrylic paint doesn't only dry - it cures, which is what's causing the consistency in the bottle to change. Adding water undoes the effect of drying, but nothing can undo the effect of curing - the paint will never behave as well as a fresh (or well stored, which is impossible with Citadel bottles these days) paint. It may be perfectly serviceable in some cases, but problems with flow or coverage are to be expected.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Calling all southpaws, lefties and the ambilevous! Salvation is arrived! Meet the long-awaited left-handed paintbrush:
    http://youtu.be/0hx9TO4Tao8
    Announced at 00:01 New Zealand time ;)

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I actually saw this one yesterday as GW uploaded it a few days ago. Still, excellent stuff.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Candy is ready to prowl the streets of Malifaux.

789513_sm-.jpg

789514_sm-.jpg

Had a hard time painting her, she's the size of my fingernail. It was essentially permanent fine detail mode. Unlike Baby Kade, she's got quite a lot of detail.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Since I've returned to the loving, expensive fold of Warhammer, I've been working on a Mechanicus army that had been shelved for awhile. Naturally it has to be full of special precious snowflakes, so I'm converting everything up and spending 10x as long instead of just using the regular kits. Here's a WIP Kastelan robot rolled liberally through the bits box. I should be able to make a unit of them for a good bit less than the regular box, assuming ebay bits sellers don't jack their prices up.
    789250_sm-Adeptus%20Mechanicus%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Mechanicum%2C%20Robot.jpeg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I'm hitting that awful 'large model fatigue' I get with big projects so pushing past it can be an effort. Still, I got a good chunk of the chainblade and heraldry plate done - I'm thinking of freehand-painting a bluebottle fly or something on it. Seems appropriate.

I also came to the conclusion that I really don't like the resin faceplate that comes with the Chaos Knight kit, and opted for one of the plastic ones that comes on the base IK sprues.

q8v2h7trb3c2.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    It's coming out REALLY well, so I hope you persevere.
    (And if you do, tell me how, I'm going to be painting a whole Lizardmen army starting this month and I have no idea how I'm going to keep the willpower to do it).

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Which greens are you using? Great combo.

• Options
    Thanks; the greens are Citadel Castellan Green (or VGC Cayman Green, they're virtually identical), first highlight is Citadel Elysian Green and the final highlight is Citadel Ogryn Camo with a little VMC Ice Yellow added to the mix.

That's all done over a base coat of VGC Charred Brown with patches of VGC Gory Red, which was then masked so that the mask could be removed after the greens were airbrushed on, revealing the rusty patches.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    You know, when I was first collecting Warhammer (1999-2004) I thought I was excellent at the painting.

Oh god, I wasn't. I absolutely wasn't (I just found some old, old photos):
    lmgoh4vr6vhj.jpg

Contrast that to the stuff I paint today:
    noc8sxiweoso.jpg

I used paints out of the pot, for fucks sake. Never once did I try to thin them. Had no clue what glazing was. I thought I was above using ink washes. What an arrogant little prick I was. Granted, I was more focused on playing but damn. Funny thing is, I had way, WAY more free time back then. Clearly I didn't have the patience though.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Painted up a test Juve for my Necromunda Alien(1979) themed genestealer cult/gang. Gotta pick up some pvc glue tomorrow and attach his little helmet.
    789836-Necromunda%2C%20Necromunda%20Test%20Juve.jpg

Think I should paint the straps on his boots dark grey?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Painted up a test Juve for my Necromunda Alien(1979) themed genestealer cult/gang. Gotta pick up some pvc glue tomorrow and attach his little helmet.
    789836-Necromunda%2C%20Necromunda%20Test%20Juve.jpg

Think I should paint the straps on his boots dark grey?

I am all about seeing more of this!

• Options
    This was the rough scheme I was going for:
    Nostromo%20issue%20ship%20Space%20Suit-1.jpeg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dark grey sounds good for his boot straps.

He's looking great!

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Some super cool shit this page, but I really really love this dude:
    Badablack wrote: »
    Since I've returned to the loving, expensive fold of Warhammer, I've been working on a Mechanicus army that had been shelved for awhile. Naturally it has to be full of special precious snowflakes, so I'm converting everything up and spending 10x as long instead of just using the regular kits. Here's a WIP Kastelan robot rolled liberally through the bits box. I should be able to make a unit of them for a good bit less than the regular box, assuming ebay bits sellers don't jack their prices up.
    789250_sm-Adeptus%20Mechanicus%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Mechanicum%2C%20Robot.jpeg

Talos body with mechanicus arms and legs, right?
    Can we see a side shot?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    What, your command doesn't issue enough ammo? Take some of mine. Slightly used, of course. Excuse the shinyness, it's got a layer of satin varnish and I'm out of dullcote.

789875_sm-.jpg

789876_sm-.jpg

789877_sm-.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Loki your models never fail to impress me and cause tremendous pressure on my wallet.

• Options
    Does anyone have any good tutorials on sponge weathering?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Some super cool shit this page, but I really really love this dude:
    Talos body with mechanicus arms and legs, right?
    Can we see a side shot?

789251_sm-Mechanicum.jpeg

There's a side shot of it, I've since put it on a base and stuck some more tubes and wires everywhere. Yeah it's the base talos body, Kastelan arms/legs, Kataphron secondary arms, and an ork gun on top.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Holy crap you guys! It was a nice day out and we had no plans, so I finally decided to fire up the compressor and join up my airbrush for its maiden voyage.
    Vallejo Surface Primer is love, Vallejo Surface Primer is life!
    I only had 5 models cleaned and ready to prime, but it was a joy getting them done. I can't wait to get more models prepped and have a big priming session.
    Now I need some cleaner to get a little paint out/off, any recommendations? Anything I can use in a pinch now so I don't have to go nuts closing later?

edit: airbrush priming really helps you see those mold lines...
    Is P3 good enough to run straight through the brush or does it need a little thinning (and what with)? Seemed like the VSP was thin enough to go straight in with no issue. Might work on priming all my airborne and then do a big base coat spray for their uniforms to get a jump start.
    So many questions! A whole new world just opened up.

For cleaning between color changes and final cleaning at end of day (after washing out), I recommend using Iwata-Medea Airbrush Cleaner.

For paint thinning, I recommend a mix of water and Liquitex Airbrush Medium.

I only have a handful of P3 paints, but they are far too thick to spray without thinning.

Enjoy your new toy!

Thanks for that! I spotted the Iwata cleaner on Amazon to grab.
    As for new toy...well I bought the airbrush in 2012 and just used it. :?

This guy actually goes into details about using P3 paints in airbrush.

https://youtu.be/rLeWGzJbHzI

This guy's more of a pro by me by any stretch, but I always found the P3 paints thinner than Vallejo or GW, or other lines like Reaper. Am I just taking crazy pills? Anyone else notice a difference?

• Options
    Some wip shots of the rest of my Necromunda gang

Cel Leader with bolt pistol and sword
    790595_sm-Nostromian%20Leader%20Wip.jpg

Brother with shotgun
    790605_sm-Nostromian%20Pointman%20Wip.jpg

Brother with heavy stubber.
    790596_sm-Nostromian%20%20Gunner%20Wip.jpg

Brother with grenade launcher
    790599_sm-Nostromian%20Grenadier%20Wip.jpg

Brother with autogun.
    790597_sm-Nostromian%20Rifleman%20Wip.jpg

Brother with autogun
    790598_sm-Nostromian%20Rifleman%20Wip.jpg

Brother with autogun
    790602_sm-Nostromian%20Rifleman%20Wip.jpg

Brother with hunting rifle
    790603_sm-Nostromian%20Marksman%20Wip.jpg

Initiate with autopistol
    790600_sm-Nostromian%20Juve%20Wip.jpg

Initiate with laspistol
    790601_sm-Nostromian%20Juve%20Wip.jpg

Initiate with autopistol
    790604_sm-Nostromian%20Juve.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    3d printed models?

• Options
    Nah they look like Overkill GS Cultists.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    Holy crap you guys! It was a nice day out and we had no plans, so I finally decided to fire up the compressor and join up my airbrush for its maiden voyage.
    Vallejo Surface Primer is love, Vallejo Surface Primer is life!
    I only had 5 models cleaned and ready to prime, but it was a joy getting them done. I can't wait to get more models prepped and have a big priming session.
    Now I need some cleaner to get a little paint out/off, any recommendations? Anything I can use in a pinch now so I don't have to go nuts closing later?

edit: airbrush priming really helps you see those mold lines...
    Is P3 good enough to run straight through the brush or does it need a little thinning (and what with)? Seemed like the VSP was thin enough to go straight in with no issue. Might work on priming all my airborne and then do a big base coat spray for their uniforms to get a jump start.
    So many questions! A whole new world just opened up.

For cleaning between color changes and final cleaning at end of day (after washing out), I recommend using Iwata-Medea Airbrush Cleaner.

For paint thinning, I recommend a mix of water and Liquitex Airbrush Medium.

I only have a handful of P3 paints, but they are far too thick to spray without thinning.

Enjoy your new toy!

Thanks for that! I spotted the Iwata cleaner on Amazon to grab.
    As for new toy...well I bought the airbrush in 2012 and just used it. :?

This guy actually goes into details about using P3 paints in airbrush.

https://youtu.be/rLeWGzJbHzI

This guy's more of a pro by me by any stretch, but I always found the P3 paints thinner than Vallejo or GW, or other lines like Reaper. Am I just taking crazy pills? Anyone else notice a difference?

I use P3 paints in an airbrush with no more issues than any other brand.

I generally use less thinner than I would for Citadel and Vallejo but more than I would for Reaper.

Side note: I want to punch the guy in that video in the throat.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Side note: I want to punch the guy in that video in the throat.

They are just bringing the hobby back. Take it easy. They're keeping it fresh and making your models pop.

Aside from their bro hi-jinks I they are really good, informative videos.

This discussion has been closed.