As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] RIP Jo Cox

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel left out of the electoral fun. The only thing on my ballot is the complete lemon of a position that is the police and crime commissioner.

Still worth voting. That's all I have to vote on as well.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    To be honest the Blairites raging against Corbyn and completely failing to support him makes them look incredibly childish and is turning me away from Labour far more than any of Corbyns actual fuckups.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Honestly I voted labour because whatever my ambivalences about the SNP they don't need my vote and I'll be damned if I let the Tories form the opposition if I can contribute to preventing it.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    At least I've got all the elections to keep me entertained on my night shift.

It'll be interesting to see how the new PCC is.

Our current PCC has put on his leaflet how he recruited Police officers and PCSO'S. Despite the fact he recruited 45 PCSO'S but about 75 were made redundant a year later!

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    This BBC coverage of the Scottish results is insufferable. They have sod all to talk about after 3 seats declared so every time they come back they talk about another independence referendum. This seems to have been a thing with their coverage for the whole damn campaign.

Can they stop talking about it? Please? I'm sick of hearing about it. They keep bringing it up like it's the only damn thing in Scottish politics.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    it's the parti quebecois messaging problem and it's going to dog them for as long as the dominant party remains nationalist (but not quite able to summon a referendum majority)

the party doesn't want to talk about it to avoid scaring off the 45-55% marginal voters, but it's what the party loyalists and sworn enemies are interested in

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Much better than I feared for Labour in England, but not great in Wales and terrible in Scotland. Ho hum.
    To be honest the Blairites raging against Corbyn and completely failing to support him makes them look incredibly childish and is turning me away from Labour far more than any of Corbyns actual fuckups.

They're showing Corbyn as much support as he ever showed previous leaders.

• Options
    Yup, the Tories are now the opposition in Scotland.

Neil Hamilton is also now back in politics as a UKIP member of the Welsh Assembly. This is what happens when you can't be arsed to vote in less important elections, folks.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Yup, the Tories are now the opposition in Scotland.

Neil Hamilton is also now back in politics as a UKIP member of the Welsh Assembly. This is what happens when you can't be arsed to vote in less important elections, folks.

Greens putting up a candidate in Edinburgh Central lets Ruth win the constituency by 610 votes

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    When will people learn?

Rule number 1 of how to vote is Always Keep The Tory Out.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    so for a non Brit what exactly happened over there? do the tories as the opposition in Scotland mean Scotland is definitely going to be holding another referendum?

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    so for a non Brit what exactly happened over there? do the tories as the opposition in Scotland mean Scotland is definitely going to be holding another referendum?

The SNP lost their absolute majority, so a second referendum would be a very difficult thing to claim they had a mandate for, so almost certainly not.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

The SNP lost their absolute majority, so a second referendum would be a very difficult thing to claim they had a mandate for, so almost certainly not.

Huh.

at least this time around right? What are the chances the tories mess it up so badly the SNP gets in the next round again?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Fuckity Fuck. The Tories won Aberdeen west.

Looking at the result makes me want to hurl my phone. With the vote split three ways between the Snp, lib dems and labour the 60% of people who voted for a left wing council are getting conservatives instead. Fuck fptp this is bullshit.

• Options
    at least this time around right? What are the chances the tories mess it up so badly the SNP gets in the next round again?

The SNP might get an absolute majority next time, which might strengthen their case, but they have to campaign for it as part of their manifesto to be able to say that it's what Scotland wants. I think they'll keep it simmering on the back burner for a while before seriously bringing it up again.

It won't be forgotten, obviously. It's what the SNP want above all things.

• Options
    I kind of want the Lib Dems to die now. Their brand is dead and hanging on to their loyalists is just handing opportunities to Conservatives.

• Options

The SNP might get an absolute majority next time, which might strengthen their case, but they have to campaign for it as part of their manifesto to be able to say that it's what Scotland wants. I think they'll keep it simmering on the back burner for a while before seriously bringing it up again.

It won't be forgotten, obviously. It's what the SNP want above all things.

I guess it depends on just how badly thte Tories fuck it up.

They are the Conservatives on that side of the pond right?

• Options
    Yeah, it'd be nice if they handed in their badges at this point.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Casual I'm sorry Aberdeen got dicked around like that. It almost makes me feel bad I had a nice STV system to use yesterday and I didn't have to worry about vote spoilage.

Post in praeteritum prima delenda est

• Options
    I'll get over it, it's just crap to be continually reminded every election day that we have a system designed to give us what we didn't ask for.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I kind of want the Lib Dems to die now. Their brand is dead and hanging on to their loyalists is just handing opportunities to Conservatives.
    FPTP is bloody awful, but if Britain became a two-party system of Labour and Tory I simply would not vote. Labour are a bunch of repeated lying shitstains, and Tories have no compassion.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Westminster IS a two party system. Aside from the coalition (which was just the Tories doing pretty much what they wanted) we haven't had a non Labour/Tory government for a century.

• Options
    Coalition was Tory dominated, yes, but again, the Lib Dems were actually working to keep the worst of them in check, something the wonderful British public are too stupid to comprehend, and it bit them in the arse.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Coalition was Tory dominated, yes, but again, the Lib Dems were actually working to keep the worst of them in check, something the wonderful British public are too stupid to comprehend, and it bit them in the arse.

Lib Dems had unforced errors as well though.

Yes, I'm still talking about that pledge.

• Options
    Ken Livingstone on the TV again there, talking about Hitler, blaming other people for any controversy.

Ken Livingstone, everybody.

• Options
    Speaking of unforced errors

• Options
    All I'm Hitler saying is that it isn't my Hitler fault Hitler.

• Options

The student tuition pledge? Or another one?

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

The student tuition pledge? Or another one?

The tuition pledge

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Honestly, while I'm deeply dissatisfied with tuition fees as they are, Clegg's response to that at PMQ satisfied me as being both honest and forthright.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    Khan looks to be curb-stomping Zac Goldsmith quite nicely in the London mayoral election.

Good job, Zac. You managed to lose an election and trash your reputation as a decent chap all at once.

• Options
    Boom. Government just dropped the plan to force all schools to become academies.

Announced today to ensure the news is buried.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Ken Livingstone on the TV again there, talking about Hitler, blaming other people for any controversy.

Ken Livingstone, everybody.

Was he still going three hours later? I caught one of the BBC presenters telling him to stop talking bollocks with his claim that they'd asked him directly about Hitler.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Khan looks to be curb-stomping Zac Goldsmith quite nicely in the London mayoral election.

Good job, Zac. You managed to lose an election and trash your reputation as a decent chap all at once.

BBC says Goldsmith has 51.6%? Confusing.

• Options
    Ken Livingstone, Labour’s former mayor of London, is on the BBC’s election programme and – yes, you’ve guessed it – he’s brought up Hitler again. To be fair, Jo Coburn, the presenter, asked him about last week’s row, and whether Livingstone’s comments damaged Sadiq Khan’s campaign in London. The tactful thing would have been to draw a line under the whole affair. But Livingstone said Khan could be forgiven for knowing little about this because he was just a boy when the Marxist Lenni Brenner published his book on the relationship between Zionism and Nazism. And then he was off on a Hitler history lecture

Australia only seconds away from bearing witness to Ken breaking through the surface of the Outback on his epic quest to dig right through the Earth.

• Options
    Boom. Government just dropped the plan to force all schools to become academies.

Announced today to ensure the news is buried.

It's still in the front page on BBC news anyway, it's probably more about denying Labour a victory just before the election, now the votes are in it doesn't matter.

• Options

Guardian Live has Khan at 44% and Goldsmith at 33% after the first count

With the bulk of "Other" being Green and Lib Dem, looks like Khan's pretty much got it.

Nice middle finger to those irrational Anti-Muslim cracks.

• Options

It's just one reporting zone, though you have to look hard to see them say it.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Yeah I just saw the same thing? Khan is apparently at 25% while Goldsmith is at 51%

Casual on
  • Options