As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mad Max: Fury Road [Spoilers will be Witnessed]

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Huh, now I'm worried about Fury Road's Oscar chances. Carol and Bridge of Spies look like massive Oscar bait. Two period dramas, one by Spielberg. That's the sort of stuff that's easy for the Academy to vote for. Not that those movies suck or anything, just that for Fury Road to get wins in major categories, it's going to need voters willing to step outside the usual comfort zone for those awards, and those movies (and The Revenant, wilderness survival drama) have set up camp right in the middle of the comfort zone.

Funny that the article is being pretty generous here:
    The awards, which are voted for by around 6,000 Bafta members, are proving themselves to be energetically unafraid of the populist. As well as the seven technical nominations for Mad Max: Fury Road, new Star Wars film The Force Awakens took four, for music, production design, sound and visual effects.

Yeah, because technical awards for scifi/action films is a true sign of bravely embracing popular culture.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    So the British Academy of Film and Television Arts didn't nominate a movie about people escaping from a corrupt monarchy for best picture?

• Options
    Maybe the fact that the head of state was also the head of the church was a bit too on the nose?

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    My father didn't like Fury Road.
    Disown or....?

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    My father didn't like Fury Road.
    Disown or....?

Put him in a home. He has become to Mediocre to survive on his own.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Speaking at the Golden Globes, Miller told the New York Post’s Page Six column that a troubled production process on the much delayed Fury Road had convinced him never to return to the dusty badlands of post-apocalyptic Australia. “I won’t make more Mad Max movies,” the newspaper quotes Miller as declaring. “I’ve shot in Australia in a field of wildflowers and flat red earth when it rained heavily forever. We had to wait 18 months and every return to the US was 27 hours. Those Mad Maxes take forever. I won’t do those any more.”
    Miller’s comments stand in apparent contrast to those he made in an Entertainment Weekly interview earlier this month, when the film-maker suggested Theron’s Furiosa was a “pretty compelling character” and would make a great subject for a Mad Max spin-off. The latest comments suggest the director may consider allowing other film-makers to take charge of the cameras for any future instalments of the saga.
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/12/fury-road-director-george-miller-i-wont-do-any-more-mad-max-films?CMP=share_btn_fb

Well that's disappointing.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Speaking at the Golden Globes, Miller told the New York Post’s Page Six column that a troubled production process on the much delayed Fury Road had convinced him never to return to the dusty badlands of post-apocalyptic Australia. “I won’t make more Mad Max movies,” the newspaper quotes Miller as declaring. “I’ve shot in Australia in a field of wildflowers and flat red earth when it rained heavily forever. We had to wait 18 months and every return to the US was 27 hours. Those Mad Maxes take forever. I won’t do those any more.”
    Miller’s comments stand in apparent contrast to those he made in an Entertainment Weekly interview earlier this month, when the film-maker suggested Theron’s Furiosa was a “pretty compelling character” and would make a great subject for a Mad Max spin-off. The latest comments suggest the director may consider allowing other film-makers to take charge of the cameras for any future instalments of the saga.
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/12/fury-road-director-george-miller-i-wont-do-any-more-mad-max-films?CMP=share_btn_fb

Might just be a difference in where you put the emphasis. Because to me it doesn't sound like he's saying "no movies in the Mad Max world" it's "We won't shoot in Australia anymore". It'd be kind of weird for him to say "We'll never do another Mad Max movie because it's difficult to shoot in Australia" when they haven't shot one in Australia since Beyond Thunderdome.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Might just be a difference in where you put the emphasis. Because to me it doesn't sound like he's saying "no movies in the Mad Max world" it's "We won't shoot in Australia anymore". It'd be kind of weird for him to say "We'll never do another Mad Max movie because it's difficult to shoot in Australia" when they haven't shot one in Australia since Beyond Thunderdome.

Mad Mike set in the bad lands of Saskatchewan confirmed.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    WITNESS ME, EH!?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Fury Road was partially filmed in Australia, but shooting in Namibia wasn't easy either. The way he phrased it really implies to me that he doesn't want to do Mad Max unless it's no longer shot in the desert or some other difficult location. That implies he doesn't want to do Mad Max at all, because the setting is intrinsic to the IP.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

Fury Road was partially filmed in Australia, but shooting in Namibia wasn't easy either. The way he phrased it really implies to me that he doesn't want to do Mad Max unless it's no longer shot in the desert or some other difficult location. That implies he doesn't want to do Mad Max at all, because the setting is intrinsic to the IP.

They had to scrap Australia as a shooting location for the desert scenes in 2011 because it was too wet and full of wildflowers, which seems like the most salient information to that quote. In fact it seems like the entire comment is directed at not shooting in Australia because of that.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    This has already been a terrible years for movies that I want to see.

• Options
    He could still write and produce but have someone younger direct.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    He's not going to make another Mad Max film because the next film he makes in the same setting won't feature Max.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    WITNESS ME, EH!?
    Do not, my friends, become addicted to the double double. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm okay with this.

Fury Road was a mic drop of a movie, where a wizened master showed all the young bucks who want to film action how it's done. How could he possibly hope to top Fury Road? Best to let his masterwork ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure he means he won't be the one directing. He's seventy and spending 12-14 hours a day in the desert sun is tough when you're in your 20s, let alone 70s.

There will definitely be more Mad Max films.

• Options
    Maybe it's no more movies in Mad Max works but perhaps some movies in an Irate Furiossa world instead?

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Mad Max Space

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I kind of hope they at least got some footage of the wild flowers, because that seems like it would be a cool touch to use in a future movie. Like, hey, it's not all bleak and horrible, there's some hope here.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he means he won't be the one directing. He's seventy and spending 12-14 hours a day in the desert sun is tough when you're in your 20s, let alone 70s.

There will definitely be more Mad Max films.

That would be extremely weird because as late as last week he was still talking about his excitement for making the next movie.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Last night I noticed that Fury Road had hit HBO, so I excitedly asked my wife if she wanted to watch it. Her response was "You go ahead and watch it if you want. Don't worry about me. It's late so I'll probably be going to sleep pretty soon."

...TWO HOURS LATER...

"I'm kinda pissed Nox didn't make it. He's gonna come running up to them at the end, right?" Followed by several comments about "you know some of us have to be up early for work tomorrow", and "oh good, I have to wake up in 5 hours".

My work here is done.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    10 Oscar nods. Theron got snubbed though.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Well that sucks. Theron's performance made the movie what it is in my opinion.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If anything, I want George Miller to get Best Director.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Miller has said the the reporter misunderstood him; he's just not doing a Mad Max movie NEXT. He still plans to make more.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/01/14/dont-worry-george-miller-plans-more-mad-max-films/

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Miller has said the the reporter misunderstood him; he's just not doing a Mad Max movie NEXT. He still plans to make more.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/01/14/dont-worry-george-miller-plans-more-mad-max-films/

Thank Valhalla.

I was worried.

• Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

I'm probably going to be filled with rage by the end of the Oscars. Fury Road isn't going to get Best Picture, and Best Director is a stretch since The Revenant is sounding awesome. It's also up against Star Wars or The Revenant for a lot of the other awards. It's entirely likely that Fury Road might get swept.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Guys, guys. We're missing the bigger picture here.

Mad Max got 10 freakin' Oscar nominations. The second highest of the year.

Whichever way you slice it, that is AWESOME.

(I'm amazed at some of the well-reviewed Oscar-bait that didn't get a Best Picture nod... yet Mad Max did. That is stunning.)

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

(I'm amazed at some of the well-reviewed Oscar-bait that didn't get a Best Picture nod... yet Mad Max did. That is stunning.)

yeah but it was snubbed for best Documentary and Foreign Language Film

• Options

It was the best reviewed movie of the year, it shouldn't be surprised that it would definitely qualify for some attention.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

It was the best reviewed movie of the year, it shouldn't be surprised that it would definitely qualify for some attention.

Some, yes, absolutely. But this is the biggest overall nod for genre cinema since LOTR: The Return of the King.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular

Yeah this is pretty big. People who haven't seen it still view it as an infantile shoot-em up action movie. The sort that normally don't get Oscar nominations outside the tech areas.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    People who haven't seen it still view it as an infantile shoot-em up action movie.

Some people who HAVE seen it still think that.

I think Fury Road asked a lot more of the audience than some were expecting or even prepared to give.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

happy feet 3

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Babe 3: Pig in the Wasteland.

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

happy feet 3

Do not, my friends, become addicted to glaciers. They will take hold of you and you will resent their absence!

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I figure this movie's been talked to death, so not point in mentioning all the crazy awesome things it has that I love.

So just a comment on a small detail that just tickled fiercely: I love how the movie shows Joe from the perspective of the warboys. That one small part when Nux is telling Joe about the secret way into the war rig and Joe, wind in hair, looking fierce, tells Nux he will ride eternal if he brings back the wives...

It just really sold me on how all those kids could be brainwashed and made it seem all that more real to me. Joe, evil and horrible as he is, looked downright godly to Nux in that scene.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I figure this movie's been talked to death, so not point in mentioning all the crazy awesome things it has that I love.

So just a comment on a small detail that just tickled fiercely: I love how the movie shows Joe from the perspective of the warboys. That one small part when Nux is telling Joe about the secret way into the war rig and Joe, wind in hair, looking fierce, tells Nux he will ride eternal if he brings back the wives...

It just really sold me on how all those kids could be brainwashed and made it seem all that more real to me. Joe, evil and horrible as he is, looked downright godly to Nux in that scene.

The music is great in that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcrH_NJoopQ

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Seriously, it really sells it to me how Joe was a god to those people.

I genuinely could see how the Immortan looked like to the war boys from that scene.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.