As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mad Max: Fury Road [Spoilers will be Witnessed]

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The action is frenetic, but clean and easy to follow... unlike something youd see in Transformers which borders on completely unintelligible (the jigsaw puzzle mess of the robots design does not help). The action scenes felt like a young James Cameron, but with a lot more style and way more meat on it. They werent just action set pieces, they advanced the story and allowed for characrer development, however large or small.

I cannot wait for a sequel but Im unsure theyll be able to match this.

Between this, Star Wars, and John Wick, its been a really good time for action films digging themselves out of the Bayhole.

RE: the intelligibility of the action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR7ejkmf8Y4

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    That makes a lot of sense, in regards to the center shot action.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    It's the opposite of Transformers which I once read a description of the fight scenes that said it was like a bunch of silverware rolling down a hill.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Oh God, Transformers. What I wouldn't give for that to get rebooted and handed over to a director who actually has a fucking clue. Just imagine someone doing Transformers the way Miller did Fury Road.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Transformers stuff is just... amazingly bad.

Spend tens of millions of dollars on special effects and animation, then make every scene a shaky cam shot where it is nearly impossible to follow any kind of action whatsoever.

It's a pretty great way to make fights between giant transforming robots completely mediocre, and that is really saying something.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    It's the opposite of Transformers which I once read a description of the fight scenes that said it was like a bunch of silverware rolling down a hill.

buncha coathangers in a clothes dryer

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Spend tens of millions of dollars on special effects and animation, then make every scene a shaky cam shot where it is nearly impossible to follow any kind of action whatsoever.

It's a pretty great way to make fights between giant transforming robots completely mediocre, and that is really saying something.

Shaky cam can be done right.

The Winter Soldier
    did it exceptionally well. The biggest shakymoment was the knee-to-the-van chest destroyer, and you catch every inch of that horror. When Bucky has his shakycam approach moment in his tussle with Black Widow, you just know shit is about to go down.

Special effects can be done to serve the story.

Gravity and Star Wars had exceptional effects, game-changing some might say, and it was crystal clear.

Quick-cuts can show fast action in a coherent way.

Mad Max
    's quick cuts were so well done you barely noticed they were happening, because you didn't have to refocus every 1.5 seconds. Also, each of the characters in the fights were discernable entities, even with the briefest of glances.

Tranformers managed to bungle all three of these.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The first Transformers film is semi-coherent upon repeat viewing.

The subsequent films aren't worth watching once, much less multiple times, never mind that you won't be able to decipher what's going on in them.

• Options
    Yeah, the first one isn't bad, really until the big showdown in the city. Then it gets incoherent (for example, Barricade is on his way there and just... disappears for the rest of the movie). But it definitely had its moments. It's a Bay movie but not a bad one. It's okay.

Revenge of the Fallen can go fuck a duck. Dark of the Moon dialed down the shakycam and pulled the frame back a bit as a consequence of 3D, and it helped a lot, but it was still not a good film. Age of Extinction I tried to put up with but shut it off when Prime
    decided fairly early on that he actually needed to deliberately murder a human
    and never went back to it because fuck that. That was more disrespectful to the source material than Devastator's testicles.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Mad Max[/i]'s quick cuts were so well done you barely noticed they were happening, because you didn't have to refocus every 1.5 seconds. Also, each of the characters in the fights were discernable entities, even with the briefest of glances.

This video has stood out to me ever since I saw it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR7ejkmf8Y4

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Mad Max is looking like it's going to win the most Oscars for one individual movie tonight. All technical awards, of course, but still pretty cool.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Didn't get best pic

MEDIOCRE

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Shaky cam can be done right.

The Winter Soldier
    did it exceptionally well. The biggest shakymoment was the knee-to-the-van chest destroyer, and you catch every inch of that horror. When Bucky has his shakycam approach moment in his tussle with Black Widow, you just know shit is about to go down.

Special effects can be done to serve the story.

Gravity and Star Wars had exceptional effects, game-changing some might say, and it was crystal clear.

Quick-cuts can show fast action in a coherent way.

Mad Max
    's quick cuts were so well done you barely noticed they were happening, because you didn't have to refocus every 1.5 seconds. Also, each of the characters in the fights were discernable entities, even with the briefest of glances.

Tranformers managed to bungle all three of these.

I just watched Winter Soldier again today and I'm not sure which scene you're talking about when you say "knee to the van chest destroyer". Please enlighten me.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/K_WnCLJJ-Mg

It's at 2:15-ish.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/K_WnCLJJ-Mg

It's at 2:15-ish.

Ok yeah, I get it now. There are parts during that whole sequence where the camera goes shaky, but it's done to coincide with blows with heavy impact and otherwise the camera is not shaky, so you can still follow the action.

• Options
    God that fight is just so fucking good. Every part of it.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Didn't get best pic

MEDIOCRE

I'm shaking my head at all of you agreeing to this post, instead of going at any of the three Mad Max reactions! Mediocre!

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It's not shiny or a lovely day and I will not witness Iñárritu or Spotlight.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Didn't get best pic

MEDIOCRE

Seriously, though. They do what they always do with sci-fi ish stuff that should win. A bunch of technical awards but none of the meaty ones.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I got to see Fury Road in theaters Feb 5th during the Great Canadian Digital Film Festival. I'd missed it in theaters previously, so I was glad to have the chance to see it.

I get them now.

I get the reactions.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Didn't get best pic

MEDIOCRE

Seriously, though. They do what they always do with sci-fi ish stuff that should win. A bunch of technical awards but none of the meaty ones.

It's even worse than that. There was an article where the writer actually gushed over the fact that genre films were no longer stigmatized since they had racked up a lot of wins. At least the things like Fury Road are being nominated these days. Even a decade ago that probably wouldn't have happened.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    When's the last time a science-fiction film got a best actor/actress nominee, Aliens?

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    When's the last time a science-fiction film got a best actor/actress nominee, Aliens?

Sandra Bullock was nominated for Gravity just a couple years ago.

Edit #1: Looking through the nominees lists, I didn't remember that Ian McKellan got a supporting actor nomination for Fellowship of the Ring. And I never knew that Brad Pitt had a supporting actor nomination for 12 Monkeys!

Edit #2: Other than Gravity, you're right that the last best actor/actress nomination for a science-fiction film was for Aliens. The last best actor nomination for a sci-fi film was Jeff Bridges in Starman (1984), in case anyone was wondering.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I got to see Fury Road in theaters Feb 5th during the Great Canadian Digital Film Festival. I'd missed it in theaters previously, so I was glad to have the chance to see it.

I get them now.

I get the reactions.

This is me. A local 2nd run theater replayed it the other week in preparation for the Oscars so I finally got to see it. Everything makes so much more sense now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Edit #1: Looking through the nominees lists, I didn't remember that Ian McKellan got a supporting actor nomination for Fellowship of the Ring. And I never knew that Brad Pitt had a supporting actor nomination for 12 Monkeys!

Edit #2: Other than Gravity, you're right that the last best actor/actress nomination for a science-fiction film was for Aliens. The last best actor nomination for a sci-fi film was Jeff Bridges in Starman (1984), in case anyone was wondering.

Starman was a better remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still than the more recent remake with Keanu but neither was especially good. I can't believe he got nominated for that. I caught part of it on television recently and he spends most of the movie being kind of stunned like he was on something.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Starman was a better remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still than the more recent remake with Keanu but neither was especially good. I can't believe he got nominated for that. I caught part of it on television recently and he spends most of the movie being kind of stunned like he was on something.

So, Keanu?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Keanu Barada Nikto!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Keanu Barada Nikto!

I said your damn words!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Maybe not every syllable...

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/02/jenny-beavan-mad-max-costumes-interview

A short interview with Fury Road's (head?) costumer with a nice story about her first meeting with Charlize Theron.
    Do you have a favorite anecdote from set?

When Charlize [Theron] came for her fitting in Namibia, she put one on and said, “This feels really great,” and it had to be a sort of corset because she had to put this harness on top of it. I went all sort of English and coy and said, “Oh well, you know, we’ve been trying to make it…” And she just said, “Take the compliment, bitch,” and George Miller literally elevated about a foot in the air; he sort of jumped. She’s just very straight talking, and I just loved it, so I’ve been taking the compliment, bitch, ever since.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    That reminds me of a story about The Italian Job remake.

For the movie, all the leads had to learn how to drive those Minis pretty well, but apparently Charlize got so good at just throwing the thing around that she'd scare the other actors if they rode with her.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    That reminds me of a story about The Italian Job remake.

For the movie, all the leads had to learn how to drive those Minis pretty well, but apparently Charlize got so good at just throwing the thing around that she'd scare the other actors if they rode with her.

It was also her idea that she and all the warboys had shaved heads, if I remember that anecdote correctly.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it was her idea for everyone to shave, but she did shave her own head without being asked.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    That Italian Job anecdote makes me think. That's got to be one of the most satisfying perks of being a professional actor, the crazy off-the-wall things you can learn how to do for assorted roles. Swordfighting and stunt driving are two I'd love to learn... Cracked had an article on Chloe Moretz and how she was doing a ridiculous amount of her own stunts and becoming an expert with a butterfly knife at the age of 11 for Kick-Ass.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Prior to my current career, I was in Theatrical Production, so I was learning carpentry, stage rigging, lighting, sound, management, etc.

One day I was wandering past the information board, and saw a listing for a Stage Fighting course.

It was only a couple of days, and pretty expensive, but I was still sorely tempted to see if they'd just take my money and let me learn how to do fake swordplay and whatnot.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was her idea for everyone to shave, but she did shave her own head without being asked.

She also rolled around in the dirt before every shoot instead of using the fancy Hollywood dust machine.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    That Italian Job anecdote makes me think. That's got to be one of the most satisfying perks of being a professional actor, the crazy off-the-wall things you can learn how to do for assorted roles. Swordfighting and stunt driving are two I'd love to learn... Cracked had an article on Chloe Moretz and how she was doing a ridiculous amount of her own stunts and becoming an expert with a butterfly knife at the age of 11 for Kick-Ass.
    Yeah, she's got an interview with Conan where she's just playing with the knife to show him how to use it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I finished my thing. Inspired by the Fast and the Furious chart.
    ck932spm72sm.png
    Done for fun and as an excuse to watch the Mad Max films several times. A few surprises, I was expecting Mad Max to have the highest Max. And I was expecting Beyond Thunderdome to challenge its reputation as the kiddy film. But it has the least violence and is the longest film, so...

I had some basic guidelines to keep myself consistent. Fury Road is probably the least accurate as I often found myself distracted by the film. I'll probably watch Fury Road again tomorrow and compare Max and Furiosa's screen time.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    4a0dvlchsd7x.png

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    http://geeknation.com/mad-max-fury-road-black-white-edition-is-finally-going-to-be-released/
    Well, thanks to Refocused Media (via CinemaBlend), we may finally know. The site has discovered a listing for Mad Max: High Octane Collection on Amazon Germany, a new 6 disc box set, that will in fact feature the long-desired alternate cut, dubbed the “Black & Chrome Edition” in the packaging. According to the listing, the box set will be released on September 29th as well.

The black & white, soundtrack-only version lives! (hopefully)