As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Wrestling Thread] Is Experiencing Some Hard Times

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    Just got home and settled. It was a great show. I was on the side with the cameras where they pu the wheelchairs, so I won't be on film.
    Before the show I saw Marcus and Slyvester getting lunch. Cass and Drake also picked up lunch at different times.

As I was sobering up and charging my phone in my truck I witnessed a hook up with a fan and a wrestler I won't name. Behind the trailer for some grinding and roaming hands.

You saw crwth making out with Finn???

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i was really looking forward to an ending to zayn/owens cause they were killing it in the beginning

hopefully we'll get zayn/owens 3: this time with a pinfall

overall show owned a lot

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Also the Samoa Joe shirts were on sale as soon as you left the arena. I grabbed one.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Just finished. All those matches were awesome.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    TNA had a lot more wrong with it than production values

It didn't help matters of course, but I wouldn't narrow it down saying it's even one of the top five reasons they're doomed

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

It didn't help matters of course, but I wouldn't narrow it down saying it's even one of the top five reasons they're doomed

Eh, I'd still be really surprised if TNA goes under by the end of the year.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah from what little I know about TNA the production values are not a primary reason it is dying

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The production values certainly don't help. Imagine thinking about checking out TNA for the first time, sight unseen, turning it on, and seeing that style of broadcast when you're used to WWE's stuff. It's an immediate turn off

• Options
    The production values certainly don't help. Imagine thinking about checking out TNA for the first time, sight unseen, turning it on, and seeing that style of broadcast when you're used to WWE's stuff. It's an immediate turn off

Yep. It's the mindset of how wrestling should look on TV that Vince has so successfully ingrained in American culture.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    crwth wrote: »
    i was really looking forward to an ending to zayn/owens cause they were killing it in the beginning

hopefully we'll get zayn/owens 3: this time with a pinfall

overall show owned a lot

If they wanted to save that for the main roster, I'd be okay with that. It sounds like either Zayn's out for a bit or Owens is coming up fulltime soon, if not both (I think he'll stick around up until the next special for the match with Joe)
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Eh, I'd still be really surprised if TNA goes under by the end of the year.

I think they'll last until 2016 (they made it this far anyway despite all odds, so why should even this year be the last), but I'm sticking with the "they're doomed" ending of that. Shitcanned by 2 channels in under a full year, and the C-level one not even putting up with them for 6 months, can't possibly make them look very appealing to many networks at all, especially with the lawsuit being announced on the same day. Plus with advertisers openly not wanting to do ad space during their show. At some point there's too much baggage to want to handle.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Would the Carter family be willing to merge with GFW I'm wondering?

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Alright NXT writeup
    • It was pretty stormy on the way there and I was pretty worried that we'd get rained on waiting in line.
    • Dark match was Vaudevillains vs Mechanics, real great match. Vaudevillains seem to be working face (The Vaudeheroes?) Ended with Aiden senton bombing the two Mechanics.
    • First match was Finn and Tyler, loved both entrances but if I'm being honest this match didn't click for some reason. Maybe when I watch it on the network later.
    • Second was Emma/Brooke vs Charlotte/Bayley, good stuff but a bit sloppy. The ending was super cool though and fit all their characters. A bit sad Emma took the pin though. Love Evil Emma.
    • I forgot Rhyno/Corbin happened until just now.
    • Tag Match was good. Damn Enzo when did you get somewhat good? Popped huge for that DDT. Alexa turning is interesting.
    • Some people around me were shouting some stuff about Blake and Murphey's sexuality that was making me super uncomf.
    • And on that note: Yo dude yelling horrible shit at Eva Marie. Shut the fuck up.
    • I got to see Uhaa! My Smiling Boy!
    • Sasha vs Becky. I'm just glad I got to see my probable MOTY live. Holy shit. Just incredible work from both of those wrestlers. Honestly some of the best stuff I've seen live or anywhere. Those comparing to 90s joshi hit the nail on the head.
    • From where I was sitting I could see Steph and watching her watch the match was fascinating. Taking note of chants and reactions and the like.
    • I really loved the final match... until Sami got powerbombed. I get it. Sami wasn't going to win. Sami was hurt and needs time off. I get it. I would like to see a match that looks like Sami was going to be something other then lying on the ground dead.
    • THAT REGAL POP THOUGH
    • THAT REGAL HOLD THOUGH
    • Samoa Joe, I'm excited. Wish he didn't take some of Sami's heat but ah well. Still looking froward to it.
    • I totally thought it was going to be Uhaa too.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Half of the sizes of the Joe shirt already sold out. It hasn't even been available 2 hours. Incredible.

• Options
    Half of the sizes of the Joe shirt already sold out. It hasn't even been available 2 hours. Incredible.

Another reason WWE has succeeded where others failed; they know how to make money

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    CHUCK TAYLOR SCHEDULED FOR THE NEXT WWE CAMP TRYOUT YESSSSSSS

• Options

If WWE hires Chuck Taylor AND Biff Busick I think I will fly to Stanford just to present HHH a fruit basket.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    [*]
    [*] From where I was sitting I could see Steph and watching her watch the match was fascinating. Taking note of chants and reactions and the like.

We were really close to Steph. I was impressed to see her sitting there most of the night and not just for a match to get her on camera.

She was not only watching, she was taking pictures.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

But what about JOINING THE FORCE!

eh? eh?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    This is great:

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

One of the best moments ever! Making Papa proud

SASHA BANKS KNOWS

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    That WWE.com exclusive vid makes me believe this is more than just a special guest deal. I think he's going to be working his way to WWE through NXT, like everyone else.

• Options
    edited May 2015

If WWE hires Chuck Taylor AND Biff Busick I think I will fly to Stanford just to present HHH a fruit basket.

He prefers ham. And you'd be better off flying to Full Sail.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Joe definitely looks his age.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I thought that was a great show. Becky v the Boss was just incredible. It was the first time I have watched wrestling with my wife (well she read during most of it). She really liked that match.

• Options
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    CHIKARA isn't WWE's competition on TV, but they are the only company (AFAIK) that is stepping up to the challenge the Network laid down.

CHIKARAtopia should very soon have every CHIKARA show ever recorded on the website, streamable, for 7.99 a month, with a Roku app on the way

that's nuts

• Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    CHIKARA isn't WWE's competition on TV, but they are the only company (AFAIK) that is stepping up to the challenge the Network laid down.

CHIKARAtopia should very soon have every CHIKARA show ever recorded on the website, streamable, for 7.99 a month, with a Roku app on the way

that's nuts

If I hear positive reviews of its performance I'll consider trying it out.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

that's nuts

If they keep it current, I'm in as soon as there's a Roku app. I dig what Chikara puts down, but it's hard to keep up with when you have to buy a bunch of DVDs/video downloads.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    That WWE.com exclusive vid makes me believe this is more than just a special guest deal. I think he's going to be working his way to WWE through NXT, like everyone else.

Rumor mill is his stay in NXT will be short.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »

Rumor mill is his stay in NXT will be short.

Yeah as much as I want to see him get a chance on Raw it's probably not meant to be.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I mean just because he's in NXT for a short time doesn't mean he can't be in Raw.

• Options
    Wait the rumor is he's actually going to be on Raw eventually?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I am pretty sure I would die if I saw me a NXT Chuck Taylor vs. Sami Zayn match

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I wanted to see Joe vs Moose in NXT :[

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Wait the rumor is he's actually going to be on Raw eventually?

Not just eventually...but quickly. Like this is only a couple month get used to the style type thing.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I don't understand why people think the WWE wouldn't want him in the main roster.

The dude is a badass and carries himself like a star, is not so old he can't have a modest-length WWE career, is in the best shape he's been in years, and has a bunch of dream matches waiting for him.

Not giving him a run would be insane, unless he doesn't want it.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    CHIKARA isn't even a great example of "indie production values" they actually stretch their budget quite smartly. Their shows are in crisp HD with a high bitrate. Sound and graphics are always pretty good. The lighting's always good if not atmospheric. DVDs and streams are available the next day. Honestly the only thing that looks "indie" about them is the size of the venues they run and if you want to talk about things that ruin [Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling] financial figures...well running venues far too large for the crowd you draw would be a major one.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I don't understand why people think the WWE wouldn't want him in the main roster.

The dude is a badass and carries himself like a star, is not so old he can't have a modest-length WWE career, is in the best shape he's been in years, and has a bunch of dream matches waiting for him.

Not giving him a run would be insane, unless he doesn't want it.

People are confused because him doing indy stuff at the same time would be unprecedented

Even Rhyno's deal has him just staying on NXT, even though he's also doing indy stuff at the same time

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    on the one hand, I would love for chuck taylor to get a shot with nxt

but on the other hand, he won't be able to go by chuck taylor any more

This discussion has been closed.