Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The best small phone is the Z3 Compact if you can find it.

I guess the 4.7" phones don't really sell anymore, though.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The best small phone is the Z3 Compact if you can find it.

I guess the 4.7" phones don't really sell anymore, though.

thats because 5.2" is considered small now

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, definitely look at the Z3 compact if you want a small phone. Past that....there really isn't much. You won't find many good options below 5.1. Best bets are to find a 5.1ish phone with smaller bezels.

The new N5 rumoured to be coming this year is allegedly 5.1 or 5.2.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Moto G and Moto X are both fairly small 5" phones, iirc. Both are very solid performers and relatively cheap.

• Options
    The G is 4.5, and the X is 5.2.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The G is 4.5, and the X is 5.2.

the 2nd gen Moto G is either 5 or 5.1.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

Regarding Pocketcast; I am also using the paid version of it. It's the best one I've used so far. It's also the only one that I could find, where I could easily change playback speed (I listen to podcasts at 1.3-1.5x).

I've been a pocketcasts user for a couple years now. hands down the most used app on my phone. buy it now.

I have been looking for a good android podcast manager (admittedly not very hard - I don't really need to listen to them, my commute is 2.5 miles :P ) since I switched from an iPhone 2 years ago. I think I have Doggcatcher which seems okay.

Is there any reason I should opt for pocketcasts as opposed to what I have?

Furthermore, a huge problem I have had with android podcast managers in the past is that the podcasts also appear in my music apps. Like I will be driving along listening to my library on shuffle and podcasts will be in the mix. I don't want that. Does pocketcasts not do that?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options

Regarding Pocketcast; I am also using the paid version of it. It's the best one I've used so far. It's also the only one that I could find, where I could easily change playback speed (I listen to podcasts at 1.3-1.5x).

I've been a pocketcasts user for a couple years now. hands down the most used app on my phone. buy it now.

I have been looking for a good android podcast manager (admittedly not very hard - I don't really need to listen to them, my commute is 2.5 miles :P ) since I switched from an iPhone 2 years ago. I think I have Doggcatcher which seems okay.

Is there any reason I should opt for pocketcasts as opposed to what I have?

Furthermore, a huge problem I have had with android podcast managers in the past is that the podcasts also appear in my music apps. Like I will be driving along listening to my library on shuffle and podcasts will be in the mix. I don't want that. Does pocketcasts not do that?

Pocketcasts does let you hide the podcasts from other media apps. Doggcatcher might do it too, look in settings for "hide from media apps" or something of the like.

A workaround to that is also a little known thing you can do in Android. if you put a blank file called .nomedia in a folder on the device, it won't scan that folder for media files and thus, they won't show up in playback apps. I have no idea if that would break doggcatcher or not, but if it does just delete the file and reboot.

Generally pocketcasts is regarded as the best podcast app on mobile, it's now on Android, iOS, and Windows Phone), but hey, if you have a solution you're perfectly happy with there isn't really any need to change, other than wanting something new and shiny.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I tried Doggcatcher and pretty much instantly hated it. The UI wasn't very intuitive or easy on the eyes for me. Granted, this was nearly 3 years ago.

Then again, I'm a bit of an odd bird when it comes to podcast listening. I have about 10-12 of them on regular rotation, and I listen to all of them at 1.3x-1.5x. The podcast apps that I sampled didn't let me increase the playback speed, so it's an instant deal breaker for me (Stitcher is the big one that comes to mind).

There's another app that's only iOS at the moment, and I'm waiting for an Android version, just to try it out: Overcast.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I just reinstalled Doggcatcher and it does let you change speed. But the interface is not great. It's much, much better than it used to be but it's still kind of ... ew.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Pocketcast is the way and the light.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    What mail apps do you guys use? I've been using Outlook to get IMAP push for my university email, but it's been really slow to update changes recently. For instance, I'll get a new mail notification but it won't actually load in-app for a long time, and deleting mails won't refresh for some time, either...

工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    the gmail app now supports imap. Maybe try that? what version of android/phone do you run? If it's anything but a Nexus on lollipop it probably has a stock email client that isn't gmail that will do imap as well.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    I use CloudMagic. It handles multiple email addresses very well and has a clean UI. It's also got swipe gestures for simple email management.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i use K9 for my imap

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    i use K9 for my imap

I used that a while ago when I worked at a place that allowed IMAP access before GMail supported it. It worked okay.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It looks like 5.1 may be out for the first and second gen Moto X as soon as next week. https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/ci1UAEv2oYB

As a 1st gen owner all I can say is it's about goddamn time.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I know that Gmail supports IMAP, but last time I checked it's IMAP sync. I'd like to use IMAP push instead of having my phone constantly polling the mail server.

I've got a Sony Z3, but I'm not a fan of the default mail app. I'll try CloudMagic and K9. I used K9 for a while, but then went back to Gmail for some reason. Thanks!

工事中
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    It looks like 5.1 may be out for the first and second gen Moto X as soon as next week. https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/ci1UAEv2oYB

As a 1st gen owner all I can say is it's about goddamn time.
    I hope that will tide me over until black Friday

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    That's for unlocked versions... Verizon will still need to put it through their own internal horseshit before pushing it

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    This is where I get to chime in about the awesomeness of my unlocked N5.

• Options
    for those of you, myself included, who have a Moto 360, the 5.1.1 rollout for it has finally started.

I wasn't ready to bring out the pitchforks like a lot of the internet was, I'd rather have an update 2 weeks later that isn't buggy than be FIRST!!!!!! with the kind of experience I had with 5.0 on my N5. It wasn't like the watch stopped working.

I don't have it yet myself, but i'll be interested to see what if any affect the wifi feature has on battery life. Now that I've settled out of the "ooo shiny" phase and don't look at my watch every 5 minutes instead just using it as a watch, usually I go from 6:30am to about 10:30pm and have anywhere from 30-40% battery left. Hopefully that doesn't change that much.

• Options
    I wanted to commiserate about the lack of Fallout Shelter on Android and I felt this thread might be able to join me in disappointment.

• Options
    HooverFan wrote: »
    That's for unlocked versions... Verizon will still need to put it through their own internal horseshit before pushing it
    le sigh

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I wanted to commiserate about the lack of Fallout Shelter on Android and I felt this thread might be able to join me in disappointment.

I got so annoyed with this! They made such a big deal about being able to play the thing RIGHT NOW*

*Unless you don't have an iOS device, in which case fuck yourself

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Like, a few months after the hype is dead and everyone forgot about it.

Has there ever been sales comparisons of just Android flagships vs. iPhones? I know the common excuse for not developing for Android is that it's full of cheap handsets, but I'd imagine the flagships alone still probably outnumber iPhones.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Android took over the market share months back.

It probably wasn't their choice though, probably some money involved in that exclusivity.

• Options
    a nu start wrote: »

Like, a few months after the hype is dead and everyone forgot about it.

Has there ever been sales comparisons of just Android flagships vs. iPhones? I know the common excuse for not developing for Android is that it's full of cheap handsets, but I'd imagine the flagships alone still probably outnumber iPhones.

I would really like to see a comparison of iPhones and the more expensive Android models. Not flagships only, but the nicer ones.

But yeah, "after the hype is dead" is exactly what I was saying in chat when this came up. They'll inevitably look at meager Android numbers and go "see, we were justified in not focusing on Android, look at these shitty numbers" when the reason is that everyone got it out of their system because it's been 2, 4, 9, whatever months since E3 and no one cares anymore.

• Options

It probably wasn't their choice though, probably some money involved in that exclusivity.

There's a difference between marketshare and "marketshare of high end phones" the only high end android phones that sell in great quantity are the Galaxy S and Note lines. I don't think all the flagship android phones combines outsell the iPhone. But toss in every phone like the moto g and yea, they sell a metric fuckton of those so android has higher marketshare overall.

• Options
    edited June 2015

Edit - actually, is it Now on Tap on Chrome or some new quick search improvement? Either way, handy!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Fine, I'll admit it. I've never played any Fallout game.

I just watch the hype from my high horse.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I tried to play Fallout 3, but I just couldn't get into it. I think I made it to the first town or so before I got bored.

• Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Edit - actually, is it Now on Tap on Chrome or some new quick search improvement? Either way, handy!

now on tap is supposed to pull relevant information out of the page currently displayed on the screen and do google now-ish things to it.

i.e. if you have a web page to a restaurant open Now on tap should provide things like restaurant info, hours of operation, etc.

• Options
    edited June 2015

There's a difference between marketshare and "marketshare of high end phones" the only high end android phones that sell in great quantity are the Galaxy S and Note lines. I don't think all the flagship android phones combines outsell the iPhone. But toss in every phone like the moto g and yea, they sell a metric fuckton of those so android has higher marketshare overall.

Not that this game really requires a flagship device. Minimum req for the iOS version is an iPhone 5, which is almost 3 years old at this point.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Anyone have luck getting Humble Bundle android apps installed on a Kindle Fire? I keep getting parsing errors when I try to load up Space Chem

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    My wife and I just picked up a second Z3 Compact so we can be a gross cutesy couple with matching phones. Extra adventure with this being her first Android phone. It's times like this that I appreciate having contacts available from the cloud. It took 5min to shift contacts from iCloud to Google and I could do the whole thing from my desktop. The future is awesome.

exis on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Recommended app for playing FLAC audio?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Poweramp will play pretty much anything. However it is a paid app costing $3.99, but I've found it to be worth the money.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "Fixed a bug where users were incorrectly receiving OS updates in the same year they were released"

Hah, my Galaxy S3 is on 4.3 still. No updates since February 2014.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    I know I was singing praises for my HTC One M8 in the other thread a year ago, but fast forward to today and I hate this phone. Never bothering with HTC again.

Inexplicably slow, almost all the time. I did a reset and cache clear after updating and it helped for about 2 weeks, before becoming a slow mess again. There's no way in hell I'm doing that every 2 weeks. HTC's version of stock is almost good enough, except their Text app handles large quantities of texts very poorly, the Email app is barebones, and the rest of their stuff (Blinkfeed, Zoe, etc.) is useless fluff.

The speakers suck. Maybe Boomsound is louder than everything else and it might even be better than every other set of cell phone speakers, but it's still not past the threshold of not sucking. It just provides a louder jumbled mess than other phones, but it's still a jumbled mess. Manufacturing quality is suspect. One thing no one mentioned before (which I'm pretty sure is apparent on all M8's, at least the ones I've looked at in stores) is the glass doesn't sit evenly in the frame. The right side of the glass has a slight raise to it. It has no functional impact, but it's sloppy and no one mentioned it before. What does have a functional impact is an issue where the SIM card gets disconnected and you lose your signal. If you hold the phone in the right place, it won't disconnect. Conversely, hold the phone in the wrong place and it will.

For a week after the reset, 'Ok Google' worked perfectly. Now, 'Ok Google' barely works half the time. I usually have to open up Google Now first to get it to work, and sometimes even then it won't work - I have to press the button.

The only things that haven't let me down are the camera (still mediocre, but works well enough and I knew that going in), screen (still beautiful) and battery life. The rest of the phone has become a hot mess (literally - it got hot enough to trigger its temp alarm the other day.) I don't know if I should blame Google, Verizon or HTC but this phone can go to hell.

The lack of good 4.7" phones actually has me considering an iPhone. Google's own phone finder tool gave me a freaking Kyocera as a top recommendation for a <5" phone. You've got a big weakness in the Android lineup, Google.

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

This discussion has been closed.