As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Phallafly - The End, Village - and half the Mafia - Victory

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I feel like I should have had at least one Alliance Informant on the Mafia to complete the set.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    There were no Mafia on the Mafia?

Thats pretty funny

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Ugh, I got killed randomly as a placeholder? Darn. We only needed a few days before we could have been unstoppable!
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Well, kime defending his reaver buddy right before he died red didn't help.

Eh. I'd have done the same either way. It was stupid reasoning. If I'd have died any other day, everyone would have forgotten about it. I just picked the worst night to get sniped :P
    shalmelo wrote: »

The thing is - I wasn't even a Reaver when he was defending me. The wagon was forming on me on day 2 when Baidol died and I took over the captaincy. Kime defended me while I was still a Spacer, then converted me that night.

I came so close to just skipping the Reaver kill on night 3 just to let the heat die down and try to convert someone night 4. But in the end I felt like I had to use the kill. And when Preda turned out to be Alliance and non-convertible, it was all over.

Thanks for running the game, jdark, that was complex as hell but it was good fun.

Yeah. Not getting your conversion was also unfortunate :(. Bad string of luck for the Reavers!

@kime i am so mad that you guys killed me day 1 when i should have been the first person you thought of ejecting from the game!!! what has happened to my bad cop neutral reputation?!?!

edited June 2015
    oh also @Garick you were like, maybe the most mafia poster i have ever seen. I was following the thread after I died and didn't talk to anyone and I was like, oh man this dude is definitely mafia.

and I am terrible at finding mafia like that. Like it basically looked like this:

fellow_kids_steve_buscemi.gif

Langly on
    oh also the tortuga boards in case people care:

http://sstortuga.proboards.com/

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I am very entertained that there is a flip table button.
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Also what was the balancing factor of being Moral, or Lawful?

At first I thought they got better skills/professions to make up for -50% money on a lot of jobs, but then I saw other captains who even got bonuses for doing those jobs which tended to pay better anyways.
    Everyone who started with a Warrant had the chance of a Bounty being issued against them. The Moral characters that could get Bounties - River, Simon, and Zoë - were outrageously powerful in the right situation. Once linked up with Simon, River had a 50% chance of having 3x Skills of whatever was most useful at the moment. Zoë's Dust Devil ability (May re-roll failed Fight Skill Tests once per Test) could kick off multiple times per Work if the Captain was Misbehaving.

The outlier to that is Helen, a Moral character with a Warrant and without a super awesome or unique Special. Sorry about that, JPants, thought I don't think it ever bit you.

I meant how my captain was moral, so took 50% less money on immoral jobs.

YoSafBridge
    Name: Yolanda. Or Saffron. Or Bridge.
    Type: (Upgraded) Captain
    Profession: Companion, Grifter
    Skills: Negotiate, Negotiate, Tech
    Special: Deceptive: Change your name to discard a Wanted token. Must insist players call you by your new name.

vs

Monty
    Name: Monty
    Type: Captain
    Profession: Mechanic, Soldier
    Moral
    Skills: Fight, Fight, Tech
    Special: Smuggler Extraordinaire - When you complete a Smuggling Job, take $500.

Is moral or lawful ever a keyword on challenges or something?
    Ah. Nope, Moral and Lawful aren't Keywords. I didn't think about that when balancing the Captains. Inara, Kaylee, and YoSafBridge were regular Crew members until I got extra Captain interest.
    The "Last Known Location" thing was a lie and really frustrating.
    It wasn't a lie. That's where they would have shown up if they weren't player characters.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    There were no Mafia on the Mafia?

Thats pretty funny

I was shocked when Assuran came up village.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    It wasn't a lie. That's where they would have shown up if they weren't player characters.

But if they were player characters, it was a lie.

god that gif just keeps making me giggle

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Funny story ... I thought Garick was the seer and TRV was the mafia ...

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    But on the other hand I was on the mark with aura and Jpants being Alliance. Purely on them seeming super engaged in finding reavers and seeming to ignore finding mafia.

....that's still where the character spawns though, so it's not a "lie". I should have included more characters so it was guaranteed to happen, but I don't have the next expansion yet.

I don't think giving a concrete location for the Bounties is a good idea. The board game has it as public knowledge, but it's also turn based - if somebody steals your crew, you can go get 'em back before continuing on to your destination. That's not really possible for a daily turn game like this, so making the Crew private is (I think) a good compromise.

edited June 2015
    ....that's still where the character spawns though, so it's not a "lie". I should have included more characters so it was guaranteed to happen, but I don't have the next expansion yet.

I don't think giving a concrete location for the Bounties is a good idea. The board game has it as public knowledge, but it's also turn based - if somebody steals your crew, you can go get 'em back before continuing on to your destination. That's not really possible for a daily turn game like this, so making the Crew private is (I think) a good compromise.

Doesn't have to be a concrete location. Maybe RNG from all planets one or two spaces away each turn. As it was, it gave no real useable information.

ObiFett on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    But on the other hand I was on the mark with aura and Jpants being Alliance. Purely on them seeming super engaged in finding reavers and seeming to ignore finding mafia.

To be fair, I probably would have focused the same if I was a Spacer. The flavorful covert was too cool of an idea not to pursue (for me).

Actually I feel like you have a pretty good handle on when I'm mafia or not, from past games. Gizzy got my number!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Ugh, I got killed randomly as a placeholder? Darn. We only needed a few days before we could have been unstoppable!

Eh. I'd have done the same either way. It was stupid reasoning. If I'd have died any other day, everyone would have forgotten about it. I just picked the worst night to get sniped :P

The thing is - I wasn't even a Reaver when he was defending me. The wagon was forming on me on day 2 when Baidol died and I took over the captaincy. Kime defended me while I was still a Spacer, then converted me that night.

I came so close to just skipping the Reaver kill on night 3 just to let the heat die down and try to convert someone night 4. But in the end I felt like I had to use the kill. And when Preda turned out to be Alliance and non-convertible, it was all over.

Thanks for running the game, jdark, that was complex as hell but it was good fun.

Yeah. Not getting your conversion was also unfortunate :(. Bad string of luck for the Reavers!

kime i am so mad that you guys killed me day 1 when i should have been the first person you thought of ejecting from the game!!! what has happened to my bad cop neutral reputation?!?!

At that point, I didn't know 100% that I would have a conversion. It was also limited, in that bad luck or clever positioning on your part would mean you could dodge it.

MURDERIZE, on the other hand, was not. Therefore I had no choice but to eat your skin and shower in your blood. No hard feelings, it's just my Reaver obligation :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    I think I considered that - but I felt stronger about the idea when you didn't move your vote off of shalmelo onto ZH, and since you weren't a member of our crew you wouldn't have known the reason we were sticking to shalmelo.

(The whole ship knew ZH was mafia and that he was retiring)

I think I considered that - but I felt stronger about the idea when you didn't move your vote off of shalmelo onto ZH, and since you weren't a member of our crew you wouldn't have known the reason we were sticking to shalmelo.

At that point the mafia didn't know that the ship knew that. I probably would have moved if I had. Aura and ZH didn't tell anyone in the mafia about the plan until the day ZH retired.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I was just pretty disengaged and dead certain Shalmelo was a Reaver!

It was probably for the best, quick wrap-up wise, that Egos shot me.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

kime i am so mad that you guys killed me day 1 when i should have been the first person you thought of ejecting from the game!!! what has happened to my bad cop neutral reputation?!?!

At that point, I didn't know 100% that I would have a conversion. It was also limited, in that bad luck or clever positioning on your part would mean you could dodge it.

MURDERIZE, on the other hand, was not. Therefore I had no choice but to eat your skin and shower in your blood. No hard feelings, it's just my Reaver obligation :D

oh no i just mean that my ship was gunning super hard to retire, let alone conversion

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

oh no i just mean that my ship was gunning super hard to retire, let alone conversion

How was I supposed t know!? :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Stacking negotiate seemed like the most profitable path for sure. Stacking fight (HMS Small Frigate had like 11 fight before Gumpy was voted off) was cool, but after we lost Gumpy we didn't have enough of anything ELSE to get anything done :(

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Captain Proboard that didn't last long as we kept getting offed

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    That reminds me: Were there no mafia among the captains by design or RNG?

JPants wrote: »
    Characters and Roles were totally divorced. I randomized the player list and mated it up with a randomized Character list. Then I randomized the player list again and mated it with a randomized Role list.

I could share all the docs I used to create and run the game if that's desired.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

What made you think I was mafia

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Hmmm. Classic tell

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

My crew was just amazing to work with, even though they were pretty much all criminals.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453

After Obi confirmed Jpants was mafia (privately to me) - I saw that Jpants was defending you and questioning votes on you.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    My short thoughts as I died way too early:

Day 0! It's probably been said but I skipped like three pages of talking so blah! So much confusion and what not as I know buddha wanted to be on my boat, Trust wanted to go to Grumpy's, and discrider was sad because no one wanted to be on his. A day 0 would have helped a lot.

Less Captains/Ships- I think that really made it difficult as well, as losing one crew member was costly to replace. Next time, don't let everyone who wants to be Captain be captains. We were spread thin and I'm surprised that more ships weren't abandoned by the end of the game (So long, Backdoor Bitch. May you find a rear to ramp again!)

Information was scattered everywhere! Crew listing were on page 6, skills on page 10, Captain stuff on the OP, it was a nightmare to hunt down information, especially when you play 90% of phalla on your phone. I regretted being a Captain pretty early when I had 7 pages opened on my phone just to figure out if I could give others NPC Crew.

When it comes to Game A/Game B phallas like this and the Pokemon phalla, I find that I focus on one over the other. In both this game and in the Pokemon one, I tried to be a Captain/Poke Trainer more then hunt out the mafia among us because I had more to do with that game then the phalla. I wasn't vanillager as a Trainer/Captain, I could seek a personal wincon which meant that the phalla was less important to me. Personally, I would prefer these kinds of games to be separate from Phalla, so they can last longer then a few days, but I know that would be a hosting nightmare (maybe, maybe not if you can program some kind of Persona-like battle page that Infidel and MrBlanery did).

All in all, I enjoyed my short time in this game, and while this is no jab at you, jdark, as you are my favorite forumer in PA, it feel a bit rushed and unfinished, like playing an Alpha. Yes, it was workable, but the bugs were large and distracting and would have killed it for me if the village didn't bet you to it.

JPants wrote: »
    Characters and Roles were totally divorced. I randomized the player list and mated it up with a randomized Character list. Then I randomized the player list again and mated it with a randomized Role list.

I could share all the docs I used to create and run the game if that's desired.

Na, i figured it was Random but curiosity makes me ask.

After Obi confirmed Jpants was mafia (privately to me) - I saw that Jpants was defending you and questioning votes on you.

Did I? lol, I don't even remember that. /autopilot

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Sepah wrote: »
    Feels like the reavers got pretty unlucky this game. Caught in the cross fire.
    Truth. I put a lot of limits on them (couldn't convert the first night, could only convert every other night, couldn't covert pre-networked characters, had to be in the same sector to convert), but I feel like that's necessary to keep conversions balanced and interesting. BTW, thanks to @Infidel and @MrBlarney for some good advice on that.

The Alliance's two kills per night was also a balancing factor in that regard - it would allow them to aggressively target Crew of ships that were co-located with Reaver vessels (if folk had figured that out).
    Ah, so bounties were fatal?
    Yeah, they were intended to be fatal but I posted an old version of the Bounty rules. The mafia got the new set, and were super confused when Obi was adamant that it wouldn't kill villagers. So I put a day delay on it.

Dragon/Crow died immediately because of inactivity. The only reason the Village got to turn him in was because Character Actions happened before the Vote.
    Bounties were not fatal, they removed you from B game. You could still win a villager victory, vote and use powers.
    Yeah, that the second big mistake on my part. The risk/reward pay off should have been: any action that got you money (increased your chance to win in the B game) should increase your risk of getting eliminated (in either the A game or the B game).
    The shame is all of my money got thrown away because the ship was abandoned.
    The money was still there. Nobody investigated the abandoned ships... :rotate:
    Also what was the balancing factor of being Moral, or Lawful?

At first I thought they got better skills/professions to make up for -50% money on a lot of jobs, but then I saw other captains who even got bonuses for doing those jobs which tended to pay better anyways.
    Everyone who started with a Warrant had the chance of a Bounty being issued against them. The Moral characters that could get Bounties - River, Simon, and Zoë - were outrageously powerful in the right situation. Once linked up with Simon, River had a 50% chance of having 3x Skills of whatever was most useful at the moment. Zoë's Dust Devil ability (May re-roll failed Fight Skill Tests once per Test) could kick off multiple times per Work if the Captain was Misbehaving.

The outlier to that is Helen, a Moral character with a Warrant and without a super awesome or unique Special. Sorry about that, JPants, thought I don't think it ever bit you.
    If I had not died our ship was set to make mad stacks
    As the game went on a bit it was pretty obvious that only smaller ships had a chance to have everyone retire.
    A Crew of 4 picking the right Jobs could have Retired two or three days earlier than a Crew of 6.
    discrider wrote: »
    Yes, pretty much.

Really the greater chance at paying out only matters if you are:
    1. Not being killed by the bigger crews.
    2. Getting large payouts in the first place when you have to pay NPC crew and/or forgo misbehaving/boarding due to lack of skills (and thus not make lots of money).
    3. Are holding onto your money (Piracy can steal money, Alliance ship can steal money if you don't have keywords, and so on).
    1. Drez (Day 1) was on a Crew 5 ship. GG (Day 2) was the Captain of a Crew of 3, true, but voting out Captains was objectively worse for the Village and yet they did it anyway. The same thing happened to Gumpy Day 3.
    2. A solo Captain could have retired on Day 4 if he was able to avoid pirates (and pirates like Gumpy got voted out). A Crew of 4 could have done it on Day 5 with the right Gear. That's the trick to Misbehaving - having the right Gear.
    3. Pirates could not steal money, only cargo or contraband. Alliance ships only stole money from ships with Warrants, which was the downside to working Illegal Jobs or having an unlawful crew.

1. The Drez vote was the result of two big ships moving the vote target onto someone else. Captains also weren't objectively worse for the village to vote out, they were just worse for people who wanted to retire to vote out and therefore probably better for the village to vote out.
    2. You can't retire if you have to buy gear and crew to misbehave to get money. Also pirates will target those people with the least crew and those who are picking up cargo. They don't know the first, but the second is public information.
    3. I'm pretty sure there was a Piracy job that allowed the boarding crew to steal money off the defending crew, but I could be wrong about that. Also there was no real need for a downside on starting characters, as that just allowed the RNG to screw people.

discrider on
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular

I explained why I thought you were mafia, but oops you were the seer. Either way, I knew you weren't playing your vanillger self. I privately voiced my suspicion of ZH to Obi, so I am confused as to why everyone thought I was mafia.

thanks for running jdarksun, this felt like a faction game with the unfortunate problem of having my faction neutered on day two.

Assuran wrote: »

I explained why I thought you were mafia, but oops you were the seer. Either way, I knew you weren't playing your vanillger self. I privately voiced my suspicion of ZH to Obi, so I am confused as to why everyone thought I was mafia.

thanks for running jdarksun, this felt like a faction game with the unfortunate problem of having my faction neutered on day two.

This is an odd complaint considering you could join a new "faction" at any time.

I offered space on my ship to everyone I talked to that sounded like they wanted it.

This is an odd complaint considering you could join a new "faction" at any time.

I offered space on my ship to everyone I talked to that sounded like they wanted it.

Your offer to me and Dragon (Mafia and Bounty) was pretty funny.

I couldn't in good conscience accept this when Buddha was the remaining crew member aboard my ship, and he was "The Fixer".
    Also, the bounty board appeared to be updated with perfect information when someone with a bounty landed on one of the 5 trade planets, so I also thought you knew where he was Day 2.
    But it appears that the initial Day 1 info was plain fabricated, so I guess not.

I couldn't in good conscience accept this when Buddha was the remaining crew member aboard my ship, and he was "The Fixer".
    Also, the bounty board appeared to be updated with perfect information when someone with a bounty landed on one of the 5 trade planets, so I also thought you knew where he was Day 2.
    But it appears that the initial Day 1 info was plain fabricated, so I guess not.

nah, the locations on the bounty board were always the same

I told anyone on my crew that if they were my crew, bounties didn't matter.

nah, the locations on the bounty board were always the same

I told anyone on my crew that if they were my crew, bounties didn't matter.

Then I don't know.
    The Fixer's bounty only went up when I landed on Persephone.