Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Epic games excels at performance. Licensing their engine helps them hammer things out.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Epic games excels at performance. Licensing their engine helps them hammer things out.

Gears isn't an epic game anymore.

Also finished the game man act 4 will be divisive.

I saved del, it was heart wrenching for Marcus (and personally I have a small son who was asleep on the couch so that decision was harder...) but Del was my boy MY BOY! It felt kind of how the game devs were nudging you with showing JD to have made some shitty choices and having you play with DEL the whole game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I have a significantly less than a 1k card a CPU that's 5-6 years old, and I'm able to max the game out. Apart from some anomalous hitching here and there, the game's performance is remarkable.

Considering how well it runs on the Xbox One--which is 6 years old now--one would hope so! As I said, DF (always) deals with a sub-1 percentile of gaming hardware in their analysis, so your mileage will vary.

What resolution are you running it on, if you mind me asking? I have a GTX 1080ti, but I haven't run the game on PC yet.

1080pizzle cuz my monitor is poverty. This is on a 1070 and I'm able to get consistently above 60fps with ultra/insane settings.

Though about hooking up to my 4K TV for a taste of that sweet HDR color (which I hear is excellent in this game), but I ain't haulin my PC out to the living room.

Yeah, it would be very hard going to 1080p after playing it on Xbox One X (up to four times that pixel count)--especially the distance I sit from my monitor. But the GTX 970 is a good 1080p, or at least it was (probably sitll is). Not to mention losing out on HDR.

Honestly, I have no reason not to install it on my PC just to try out with a cloud save. I wouldn't be switching over (my 33-year-old brain would probably have a time trying to get used to the notion of playing Gears of War with a mouse and keyboard), but it'd be worth running a benchmark and seeing how it looks on a GTX 1080ti.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Gears isn't an epic game anymore.

Not since UE, I believe. The GOW games on Xbox 360 were marvels for their time, but even at 30 FPS, 4 offered more consistent performance. But our standards are higher since the Xbox 360 era.

mhac3nqjbp5i.png

Not bad for a GPU that cost twice as much as an Xbox One X when I bought it. :) Though my LG UHD monitor doesn't complete with my Samsung QLED.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Huh. Just lost an hour and a half of progress to the autosave just not, well, autosaving.

I really was enjoying the game, too.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    FYI the minimum framerate option means it auto downscales when you go below 60 if that matters vs some lower framerates sometimes.

ie try running it with minimum set to 30 or off to see how low it will go.

• Options
    Man the Escape leaderboard is FUCKED

top 100 are all under 10 mins

hell the top 30 are all under 3

• Options
    Huh. Just lost an hour and a half of progress to the autosave just not, well, autosaving.

Yeah this bug was annoying when I was finishing the game. But I found out on console its better to kill the game and come back into it than try and leave the game using the ingame menu because for some reason killing it and coming back actually made the game save, but backing out in game doesn't.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Yeah this bug was annoying when I was finishing the game. But I found out on console its better to kill the game and come back into it than try and leave the game using the ingame menu because for some reason killing it and coming back actually made the game save, but backing out in game doesn't.

Did you have the 'saving' icon on the bottom left of the screen just never go away? I should have known something was seriously wrong. Then I died and the game froze on the death screen. I tried to back out to the lobby and it never loaded, so then I killed it.

Fuck.

• Options

Did you have the 'saving' icon on the bottom left of the screen just never go away? I should have known something was seriously wrong. Then I died and the game froze on the death screen. I tried to back out to the lobby and it never loaded, so then I killed it.

Fuck.

Yep that's exactly what happened to me when I lost progress. So I would watch the save icon and if it ever takes too long I just killed the game and came back to it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Apparently this is a widespread issue.

Time to play something else I guess.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    ive somewhat figured out how to voip in game, but I've got to claw it with my keyboard push to talk button...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Finished it. Spoilers for the whole game.
    Man, was this game a love-letter to the previous games. You revisit areas from Gears 1-3 and a Gears judgment character is a major supporting character. You also get the first in-depth look at some UIR stuff, which is nice given how big a role they are in the backstory.

The first fight with the Kraken bugged on (sphereicles wouldn't open) so I had to look up a guide to be sure, and got spoiled on Cole "trying" to stop the Kraken, which made me pretty certain he was going to die, so pleasently suprised he lived.

I saved Del too; we just spent an entire game bonding, it would have been pretty shitty to let him die after all that.

Though given what happaned to JD's corpse, I'm like 60% positive they're going to recreate him as a Swarm General; maybe even RAAM reincarnated.

I did spend most of the game positive that JD and Fahz were actually there to keep an eye on Kait and kill her if she turned.

Jack's sacrifice was fantastic; the same moment Baird realizes he was probably much more sapient than he previously thought is the same moment that killed him.

I was pretty positive Oscar was going to bite it, so no surprise there.

And yes, finally, after nearly 13 years, we have a definitive answer; the Locusts genetic hybrids created by COG scientists. Not my preferred origin, but we're done with that now, it's in the books.

Thought the Kraken was going to be another Riftworm for moment.

Matriarch fight will go down as one of the most unnecessarily pain in the ass boss fights of all time.

I also felt the designers got a bit carried away with the encounter designs at a few points; they just throw too many different things at you and it's incredibly easy to lose focus enough that something instant kills you from off screen.

Over, pretty cool, some amazing setpieces and it's pretty ballsy to kill of the trio in this one. I figure Marcus is going to bite it in Gears 6.

Curious if there'll be any SP dlc for this game.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm playing Gears 4 now.

This cog leader lady really has nothing better to do with her time, huh. Just spending her evening yelling at a group of dummies instead of, I dunno, running a country.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Gears 5 is already very fun but it already ate a quicksave and then the critical path crashed. This is not acceptable launch condition doods.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm really glad they're concocting more PvE modes than Versus AI and Horde mode, I love playing Horde a lot but seeing it from start to finish is a singular commitment for hours even on its easiest difficulty. Escape is definitely more appropriate for today's day and age where people just want a quickly-gratifying, jump-in-jump-out PvE experience.

• Options
    Speaking of Escape there are already 3 maps in the old maps tab, so really it launches with 4 official maps if you didnt know.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Oh for fuck's sake. I made it all the way to Act III and spent a good while walking around, inspecting things, listening to dialog, finding collectables, then quit for the day. I boot the game back up again, and I'm in Act II.
    Now I have to do that godforsaken matriarch boss fight again.

EDIT: First try, thank goodness.

Of all things, why doesn't the saving work? I can forgive other bugs but this is awful.

Arteen on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Hope that save bug is only for console... also hope they sort it out ASAP.

Was there a day 1 patch? Maybe they're counting that as the 10th (or today when I had to redownload the whole damn thing).

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Like games of yore, I spent a good chunk of time messing with settings and benchmarking. I think ultimately I'm just going to leave it at 1080p or that weird widescreen halfway to 4k res with max things because at 4k there's jitters that i just can't deal with. Benchmark keeps it around 50 -60, but in-game there's mad hops, maybe from loading/unloading the ultra textures.

This is on a 1070ti w/intel i7 and a Ryzen 2 w/2060.

The Xbone is lower in detail, but it's pretty smooth so the compromises aren't really that bad. It's quite surprising.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    As you can tell based on my posts I’ve been thinking about Gears a lot, now my train of thought is on weather there are enough days in a tour to get max rank without having to spend Iron to refresh finished missions

Cause if not that is some bullshit

• Options
    Gears 5 whole game spoiler.

I'm really excited for Kait as the new main character of the franchise because of her direct connection to the locust and her not mother queen. Honestly Marcus himself is hardly in this one and the overall narrative works out great for it? It's time for Marcus to retire and the new characters (del and kait RIP JD) to take on new challenges.

Also outside of one boss fight everyone didn't like... The encounters in this one felt really fun, when I died it was to my own bad tactical planning, I never felt like "oh here's another cover fight with snipers and rushers yawn. The addition of Jack's bonus's and being able to change that up is really cool. I actually wonder how it feels to play as Jack in co-op.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Man the ice map for multiplayer is a special kind of bad, especially for horde. The red desert map isnt much better

• Options
    I needs horde players because all the pugs want to play as fahz and they don't know how to hit headshots 98% of the time.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I needs horde players because all the pugs want to play as fahz and they don't know how to hit headshots 98% of the time.

Once I can get into horde I'll basically never play the sniper class. I dunno what it is but the aiming feels off in general

• Options

One of the messier first party launches I've seen in awhile.

• Options
    I wonder if things are going to be fixed by Tuesday

• Options
    I wonder if they're going to give early access players some sort of make-good, because they've just blown the shit out of "play it four days early" as a selling point, which was basically the biggest thing you get out of the Ultimate Edition.

• Options

One of the messier first party launches I've seen in awhile.

This isn't a fix. What does the status of their servers have to do with my single player campaign?

Fuck them.

• Options

Once I can get into horde I'll basically never play the sniper class. I dunno what it is but the aiming feels off in general

i noticed this too, are you using a controller @WingedWeasel ?
    in the options menu under the controller, there are a few sliders for aim.
    I'm using:
    Look Sensitivity 20
    Target Sensitivity 15
    Zoom Sensitivity 10
    Aim Acceleration 5
    Inner Deadzone 2
    Outer Deadzone 0

and it feels snappy like old Gears aiming.
    The inner deadzone is the biggest culprit sitting at 10 by default. putting it down to 2 really really took care of my biggest issue, and I just like super quick moves which is why my look and target are so high.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I play as Emile and im putting headshots in like no ones business

also I just beat a Horde match and the post game didnt load

I GOT NOTHING, no XP, no character level, no supply, no cards

NOTHING

I AM PISSED

• Options

i noticed this too, are you using a controller @WingedWeasel ?
    in the options menu under the controller, there are a few sliders for aim.
    I'm using:
    Look Sensitivity 20
    Target Sensitivity 15
    Zoom Sensitivity 10
    Aim Acceleration 5
    Inner Deadzone 2
    Outer Deadzone 0

and it feels snappy like old Gears aiming.
    The inner deadzone is the biggest culprit sitting at 10 by default. putting it down to 2 really really took care of my biggest issue, and I just like super quick moves which is why my look and target are so high.

Yeah I'm on a controller. I'll give those setting a shot, thanks!

• Options
    Endgame Spoilers
    Replayed the ending, saving JD. It's pretty much the same, though instead of a devastated Marcus, it's JD who's devastated and he and Marcus bond over their shared grief.

I think they may have bit themselves in the ass with this choice, as Marcus in Gears 6 is going to be an radically different state depending on who you save. It'll be very interesting to see if they can cash this check they've written for themselves.

• Options
    p game literally unplayable for me at the moment. loaded my campaign up, hit the next checkpoint got the saving bug. tried to quit out and reload then it sat there for 10 minutes trying to "connect to lobby". i could probably get it working if i quit and reloaded enough times but i think i'll just wait until tomorrow. after the piss poor performance by the giants today, one less frustrating thing

• Options
    Anyone know what the icon next to your Iron up by your name at the title screen? Little hexagon shape with icon that might be explosion? Or a sliced up hershey kiss, who knows.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Anyone know what the icon next to your Iron up by your name at the title screen? Little hexagon shape with icon that might be explosion? Or a sliced up hershey kiss, who knows.

Its currency you get for getting duplicate items you can use it to craft items.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    I got a duplicate item already? Sheesh.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Literally no games I played in multi be it horde, be it versus or escape gave me a level or anything. All times it gave me nothing. How people are level 47 already I have no idea. But ye gods how you release a game like this where the goal is to do stuff and "level up" and yet THAT SHIT DOESN'T WORK!? Like fucking seriously.

I didn't even get anything from my "tour" like I know I got AR kills but I was 0 of 16 same with head shots. I guess good thing is RDR 2 has an expansion next week and bl3, both games that when I do stuff the servers you know save it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I guess I dodged a bullet playing on PC because I haven't come across any progression issues so far lol

Just general connectivity and login problems that cleared up after Saturday night

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Honestly if anyone paid for the ultimate edition of this for the early access I'd be pissed. Like for me I'm on the ultimate game pass and I'm still pissed about this. "hey there's this exp boost that's ticking down days but lol you can't actually earn exp anyway, and a lot of the cheevos are busted anyway."

pleasepaypreacher.net