As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    There's only ~1k votes to make Nier backwards compatible on Xbone. Meanwhile like 6 CoD games are in the top 10.
    Sadness =(

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    There was an interview for Dengeki. They talked about the plot.
    Yoko says that he believes the game will have a happy ending, this time around. PlatinumGame’s game designer Takahisa Taura for Nier 2 reacted with a “huh?!” and Square Enix producer Yosuke Saito reacted by saying “from what I’ve seen in the scenario, how the heck is it supposed to have a happy ending?! I can’t imagine how,” to which Yoko responded to the two with “I’m telling you, it’ll be a happy ending. You don’t need to look so worried.”

So the world will end.

PLA on
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    There was an interview for Dengeki. They talked about the plot.
    Yoko says that he believes the game will have a happy ending, this time around. PlatinumGame’s game designer Takahisa Taura for Nier 2 reacted with a “huh?!” and Square Enix producer Yosuke Saito reacted by saying “from what I’ve seen in the scenario, how the heck is it supposed to have a happy ending?! I can’t imagine how,” to which Yoko responded to the two with “I’m telling you, it’ll be a happy ending. You don’t need to look so worried.”

So the world will end.

As if we needed more proof that Yoko is the biggest troll ever...

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The villain would be happy if he/she destroyed the world.

That totally counts, right?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The villain would be happy if he/she destroyed the world.

That totally counts, right?

Ha ha the villains got the worst of it in Nier. It was amazing.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's better for everyone if the world is destroyed.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I really hope NieR 2 has as great voice acting direction and delivery that NieR had.

Laura Bailey and Liam O'Brien fucking killed it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's a given, the same localization and voice studio did Drakengard 3. O'Brien was hilarious, too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I really hope NieR 2 has as great voice acting direction and delivery that NieR had.

The subquests were accurately criticized for being awful in Nier... but I did them all anyway because I LOVED all the cross-party talk. Everyone does such a great job.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

The subquests were accurately criticized for being awful in Nier... but I did them all anyway because I LOVED all the cross-party talk. Everyone does such a great job.

Many people misunderstood the point of the sidequests.

They weren't there for in-game rewards. Weiss would flat out tell you that you're not going to get anything worth it for doing nearly all of the sidequests.

They were there for the story and the banter and the dialog.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

They weren't there for in-game rewards. Weiss would flat out tell you that you're not going to get anything worth it for doing nearly all of the sidequests.

Two words:

Pink moonflower.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Eh, not exactly true. They WERE the intended way to make cash for most of the game, which is a good fusion of gameplay and story since Nier's in game job is... doing odd jobs for pocket change.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The sidequests weren't fun, and I think that was on purpose. Nier did the sidequests he did because he cared about the village and the people in it, he cared about the king and fyra and facade, he cared about the old lady in seafront. He didn't do them because he thought he was getting something out of it.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Also, as the Drakengards show, Yoko Taro hates completionists, achievements/trophies, etc. Generally the people who care more for the 'game' part of it than the people who 'get' the experience. D1 requires some absolutely insane(ly boring) things to get all of the weapons and endings. And Nier, obviously...
    ...just flat out deletes all of your progress when you 'finish' the game. All your weapons, records for all the fishing and farming bullshit, everything. I bet if he could go into the server and delete your achievements/trophies, he would.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Also, as the Drakengards show, Yoko Taro hates completionists, achievements/trophies, etc. Generally the people who care more for the 'game' part of it than the people who 'get' the experience. D1 requires some absolutely insane(ly boring) things to get all of the weapons and endings. And Nier, obviously...
    ...just flat out deletes all of your progress when you 'finish' the game. All your weapons, records for all the fishing and farming bullshit, everything. I bet if he could go into the server and delete your achievements/trophies, he would.

But you can have the best of both worlds by
    copying your save to a backup device first,
    and then going through with the D ending.

How much Stockholm did I have from this game? After growing the Pink moonflowers using the method of changing the system time clock, I came back later and did it in real time over the course of a week or two.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    From reading this thread apparently I have next to no memories of what Nier was about.

Although I think I only finished it the requisite one and a half times

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I have next to no memories of what Nier was about.

Congrats, you have played NieR the way the creator intended.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    From reading this thread apparently I have next to no memories of what Nier was about.

Although I think I only finished it the requisite one and a half times

From casual observation, Nier is about a man killing Heartless-esque shadow monsters to try to help/rescue his ailing daughter, while often accompanied by a foul mouthed underwear model and a Tim Burton cartoon character. Does that ring a bell?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nier is about Laura Bailey swearing slightly more than in Saint's Row IV.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The game is now titled 'Automata'(heh).

http://gamestalk.net/nier-automata/
    Square Enix announced in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine the official title of the new Nier project, or Nier 2, as NieR Automata. [Thanks, Game Jouhou.]

The game takes place on a devastated planet Earth, and will show the intense battle between android “Yorha” Unit [interestingly, YoRHa also happens to be the name of Yoko Taro’s stage play, and the game will be related in some ways] made by humans, against the “Living Machines” sent by the enemy of mankind.

The magazine also showcases characters and world setting by Akihiko Yoshida. The character that appears to be the protagonist is named “Yorha #2 Type B” and wields a sword and great sword. There’s also a support system called “Pod” that makes it possible for long-ranged attacks.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    A sword and a great sword.

Love it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    A sword and a great sword.

Love it.

So a lot like Nier. I wonder if she'll get spears too.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Main character's got style.
    tumblr_nwxsm2ZxvS1rb48exo1_500.jpg

(I hope PA aren't gonna try and say this is copyright infringement.)

Hi Emil.

tumblr_nwxsm2ZxvS1rb48exo3_1280.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    So we're playing a cyborg. Interesting.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Trailer is supposed to debut tomorrow?

Also,
    o9a4kXP.png

That's Akihiko Yoshida's work, alright.

More here:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183276854&postcount=453

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So, about Nier's fishing.
    Game told me:

[You have no fishing records.]

And then it deleted my lack of fishing records.

It gave me something so that it could take it away.

I instantly felt bad!
    It was genius.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So looking it up, this officially takes place sometime after Nier's fourth ending.
    Interesting.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    So looking it up, this officially takes place sometime after Nier's fourth ending.
    Interesting.

Presumably (Nier spoilers)
    This is after humanity and the Gestahts were wiped out, so they're all that's left.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I would guess, although id need to refresh my memory, with that ending
    Kaine and Yonah may still be alive in some way...

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I would guess, although id need to refresh my memory, with that ending
    Kaine and Yonah may still be alive in some way...
    Its been centuries.

They're dead of old age, if nothing else. And in a world written by Taro Yoko, it's a fair bet they ran into something else.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I love how much fun they were clearly having there,

Also, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Also, nice use of the Lost Androids music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCEueBER5g

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    60fps trailer

prepare ur spaff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho5-CuSwNvU

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    God that looks so good. I might have started crying a little. Again.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

I don't know if I can play a Nier game where I fight big humanoid robots.
    Thinking about Beepy still makes me tear up.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

I don't know if I can play a Nier game where I fight big humanoid robots.
    Thinking about Beepy still makes me tear up.
    The giant robot boss in that trailer had attacks that reminded me of him. Maybe related...although with the faces that look like Emil maybe they're related to the project that created him and his sister?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yo that trailer looks fuckin' dope

so I've never played Nier, and this seems like a standalone same-world, different story type thing, but dang I wanna play the first one now. What sorta game is it? I know it ain't Platinum, so how's the combat? Also, how long to beat? Am I looking at a hundred hours here? ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    It's funny that the same conversation is happening in like five different threads right now.

30-40 hours, multiple endings, passable and inoffensive combat that has some weird surprise elements to keep it interseting, incredible story and localization. It's like Zelda if the combat was more generic beat'em up or Dynasty Warriors. With shmup elements (see?).

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Yo that trailer looks fuckin' dope

so I've never played Nier, and this seems like a standalone same-world, different story type thing, but dang I wanna play the first one now. What sorta game is it? I know it ain't Platinum, so how's the combat? Also, how long to beat? Am I looking at a hundred hours here? ;P

See the posts below this one in the JRPG thread as we sell a like-minded individual.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/33716484/#Comment_33716484