As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Peas wrote: »
    I have unopened copies of FFXIII and XIII-2 on my shelf for more than a year now because of people kept saying that it gets fun after 12 hours, I really want to play it though since it's the only FF series that I have not touched besides the first one

But 12 hours man, is everything worth it? I hope the story is at least more entertaining compared to XII

FF13 is fun after about an hour. If you like silly cut scenes it's fun right away.

The very first chapter is dull because your characters don't have any abilities yet, but after that it picks up.

Though if you don't like the combat system it's not going to hold your attention.

Ignore anyone that tells you the game has a 30 hour tutorial or whatever. If not having access to every single combat option counts as a tutorial, then all kinda of games have a "tutuorial" as long as FF13.

Now for about 20 people to come tell me all the ways I'm wrong.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the story and main characters are the weaker part of the game but I loved the side characters in your squad. some of the plot stuff was real dumb
    "we can win without sacrificing anyone! except squads 1 and 3. sucks to be them"

Look, if there's one thing this game has taught me its that if you want A-ranks people are going to get shot just after charging enemy sandbags and hurling a grenade.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    My problem with the combat in 13 is that you don't get a fair representation of the pace it has, and there is an incredible pace to 13's combat, for those first 12 hours.

It's the same problem with FF12, where setting up fun and interesting gambits do so much to make the game enjoyable, but they refuse to give you the good ones for quite a while.

SE just doesn't, in some cases, seem to have any confidence in their playerbase to give them the amazing tools they've designed for the game for far too long

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Other
    The problem with designing giant sixty+ hour RPGs is that your battle system has to last that long too. That means it's not uncommon for its mechanics to be streeeeeeetched out in an effort to pace it through the game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    -Tal wrote: »
    kaine's dress is just ugly

I know she can wear a better cheesecake dress than that

She did have some interesting concept art.
    FRsi5cQ.jpg?1

But they went with what they went with.

That black dress version does look a bit like the female character that is potentially Kaine in the Nier 2 trailer, hmm?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like the Paradigm-system. Game should have led with that.

Story is serviceable, but Lightning's development is real morose. What an edgelord.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    turtleant wrote: »
    Stilts I think you might be getting just a bit to angry about someone not liking a video game you like as much as you.

Or not liking it in the same way even.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, absolutely.

But I understand why Stilts would be angry when someone is playing through a game that ranks among his very favorite, and having someone pick apart almost every single aspect of it, including things that would be considered needlessly critical.

Once in a while it can lead to an interesting analysis, like the extended conversation I had with someone who claimed the ending to FFVI was hugely negative because the interpretation that
    Terra losing her power so she can live a "normal life" is considered a commentary on women losing their independence so they can go and live a sheltered maternal role (in her case, going back to raising the kids at the orphanage).

I disagreed with the statement, but still respected it. It was an interesting viewpoint I never considered, and it was met with equal respect from both sides.

But having someone play through your favorite game and essentially going "Boy that sucks, boy that's stupid" every five minutes can admittedly get grating. I know from experience.

Imagine if your favourite game was filled to the brim with stupid bullshit, like say Resident Evil 4...

Sometimes folks don't like what you like. It's strange how that works out. Sometimes people hate things that are widely regarded as fantastic by almost everybody else, yeah that makes me go "huh?" too, and I might point out to the person that their perspective differs from that of the vast majority, but I'm not going to get angry at them or try to make them feel bad.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    It would be nice if people would stop implying that I am a delicate flower that cannot handle criticism of a game I like.

That is not what happened here.

And it is a little insulting that some people seem to think that's why I spoke up.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    A sort of rule I learned in creative writing classes,

is that if you can't find one good thing to say about a piece of media

your critique is crap

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    ah yes the legendary point where the game stops being a corridor simulator 30 hours in
    too bad I threw it in the garbage just before I got that far

I'm almost 20 hours into FFX and its linearity has been pronounced, so far; the impression I've gotten is that people were upset at XIII for breaking away from this game's particular mode, but I can't imagine it's much more linear than this. The desert had some branching paths you could take to arrive at the same point, but it's definitely been a very strict point A -> point B affair so far

Not that I mind the linearity; having an adventure this structured can be kind of a relief

But the World of Ruin this ain't, and I'm not clear on where people see the big difference between XIII and this

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nier 2
    FFX is about a very specific quest, and your path towards that goal, which is established at the very start of the game. You follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City to see the wizard, because that's what people do.

FF13 unfortunately does not have that same focus, so its linearity doesn't serve any thematic point.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I'm reading an old interview with Yoko Taro and some of the other lead developers of Nier from a fan translation of the Grimoire Nier supplement book thingy. Around here I have been told that dad Nier was the more favored version of the story by the creators, but in this interview they say:
    Yokoo: We somehow made it possible to release both “Replicant” and “Gestalt” at the same time, but there was a time when “Replicant” almost got called off.

Mr. T: Something like that did happen.

Yokoo: It took approximately 3 years for development, but during that time we were called to a meeting with America’s Square Enix to give a brief report on the game and its progress. Back then, we planned to release the two games earlier, so we were on a tight schedule. When we realized that during the meeting, those higher ups just reasoned “Can’t we just go with “Gestalt”? We could live with not releasing a special version in Japan, can’t we?” in english. (laughs)

-And what happened after that?

Yokoo: The producer Satou, who was sitting by my side, just sort of looked at me with a “…what do we do now?” face, and I just stuck to my opinion that I really didn’t want this. (laughs) If we can’t make “Replicant”, our development team’s motivation will go down like crazy, and as a result even “Gestalt” will be released later!? Are you okay with that!? Is what I threatened them with.

Mr. T: That was pretty selfish.

Yokoo: We planned to make a sibling story in the first place. Although back then “Replicant” was to be voiced in English, but there was some trouble with the voice actors.

Eishima: Now that’s news to me! If “Replicant” had English voices with subtitles, it might not have become such a topic of discussion.

Yokoo: Then producer Satou said “Let’s just do it with Japanese voices” at the last moment on a whim…maybe it was a wise decision.(laughs) So he adjusted the voice actors.
    (Replicant: brother Nier, Japanese playstation version. Gestalt: dad Nier, Japanese xbox version and international version.)

That makes it sound like the brother Nier version was the primary one and they made the dad Nier version at least partly to make the story more appealing to western audiences, rather than making the dad version primarily and the brother version to make the story appeal more to Japanese audiences. Although making the voiceover be in english for the version designed to be more popular in Japan would have certainly been a weird decision.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Yes, he talks several times in that interview thing about how Brother Nier is the main version. The female designer in the group also seems obsessed with how cute Brother Nier is, and talks about how the other female workers talked about him a lot and liked him so much. And then there's the uh...hmm...no real nice way to put this.
    How they clarify that Brother Nier became a prostitute to support Yonah, including going into detail about what type of experiences he had and how badly they affected him. While Papa Nier just did more odd jobs and killed monsters and stuff.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    FF13 actually gives you a little taste of what the combat should be early on - you get a full party of three for an hour or two after the intro before Snow stays behind, then Lightning and Hope split off. You can get your shit totally wrecked by those little frogs right at the start!

Gameplay-wise, it's about 8 hours of gradually introducing mechanics, liberally interspersed with about as many hours of cutscenes before you get a full team again.

FFX is pretty much exactly as linear as XIII, yeah, but it's presented in a much better, more coherent manner, and has moments with downtime/varied gameplay in towns, temple puzzles, (awful) minigames and just generally people to talk to.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Yes, he talks several times in that interview thing about how Brother Nier is the main version. The female designer in the group also seems obsessed with how cute Brother Nier is, and talks about how the other female workers talked about him a lot and liked him so much. And then there's the uh...hmm...no real nice way to put this.
    How they clarify that Brother Nier became a prostitute to support Yonah, including going into detail about what type of experiences he had and how badly they affected him. While Papa Nier just did more odd jobs and killed monsters and stuff.

...HUH. That's.... huh.

I wonder if Nier 2 will make any reference to Nier himself? I suppose they could get away with not showing him on-screen, but it might be difficult to work around the relationship between him and Yonah if she's in the game.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    If you attack ravana in the area that he's shielding you get knocked back and take damage from his skill Revengeance

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Also, fire emblem has foxboys? So that's probably going to be a very good game

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

your critique is crap

There are virtually no rules that can't be broken, in writing. But he's not even making a critique (which, since it's Wyborn, would be something around three pages long), he's posting for fun as he plays along the game for the first time.

"You really don't seem to be liking it, so you should consider stopping" is a fair comment in situations where people really seem to be hating everything about a game. I've said as much to other forumers before. But Wyborn has assured everyone he's having fun, so the above is not exactly applicable.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    If you want the honest opinion of someone who likes to write snark about the media they're experiencing, wait to ask them AFTER they finish said media and have all the pieces together.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

...HUH. That's.... huh.

I wonder if Nier 2 will make any reference to Nier himself? I suppose they could get away with not showing him on-screen, but it might be difficult to work around the relationship between him and Yonah if she's in the game.

Copied full sail from the Darkengard 3 LP thread and "Pulled from Dengeki by Drakengard-3.com.", spoilers for Nier here, sort of:
    -New game takes place after Ending D of Nier.

-Neither Gestalts nor Replicants will be in it.

-There will be name drops, but Emil will appear in person. Accord will be mentioned by name! Another character that is unnamed but shocked the reporters will appear.

-Yoko Taro says new people can play the game without getting lost, but he is afraid fans of the series will be angry with him.

-Yoko taro claims there is a happy ending, the other staff there disagree.

-The junk heap will be revisited in some form. Oh joy.

-Drakengard-3.com's owner translates the celestrial text as "Angel Human Robot"

-Yoko Taro's love of shooters means that will make an appearence, but other genres are unlikely? (I have seen reports/interviews report that it WILL or WON'T have multiple genres, confused on this personally.)

-Lots of weapons.

-3 playable characters, you cannot freely swap between them, but some may unlock with endings. The multiple endings will work differently from the other drakengard/nier games

-Emi Evans confirmed, get hype.

-Game was initially slated for phones or vita but they decided to go all out and do it right.

-The plot is almost done now, delves deeper into 'the world of Yoko Taro'

rULg4E4.jpg?1

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Now that I know how the affection system works I'm going to keep focusing on Lulu in the vain hope that she will dunk on Tidus as hard as she did during that moment when he said he had the hots for her

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    If you attack ravana in the area that he's shielding you get knocked back and take damage from his skill Revengeance

Ravana is the most anime, isn't he?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    skyknyt wrote: »
    FFX is about a very specific quest, and your path towards that goal, which is established at the very start of the game. You follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City to see the wizard, because that's what people do.

FF13 unfortunately does not have that same focus, so its linearity doesn't serve any thematic point.

Also this is an interesting point, but I think I might find it more compelling if Tidus went in knowing what temples they were going to or in what order. He does get told that around the time he goes "LEt's return to this gorgeous river when Yuna's totally not dead" but that was like 15 hours in

I can see how linearity without a sense of direction would be frustrating, though. I guess we'll end up seeing when me and @SilverWind do a full-on LP of FF13 that she's not getting out of

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    The voice acting might be a bit spotty, but Lulu's voice actress got 'withering contempt' down perfectly

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    SilverWind wrote: »

your critique is crap

There are virtually no rules that can't be broken, in writing. But he's not even making a critique (which, since it's Wyborn, would be something around three pages long), he's posting for fun as he plays along the game for the first time.

"You really don't seem to be liking it, so you should consider stopping" is a fair comment in situations where people really seem to be hating everything about a game. I've said as much to other forumers before. But Wyborn has assured everyone he's having fun, so the above is not exactly applicable.

if you're actually creating something, yes, you can break any rule
    but you fucking shouldn't unless you have a very good reason to (because EVERYONE likes to think they're above basic writing rules, and then they write shit)

*autotune*
    ~critique isn't the same thing~

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates

your critique is crap

but you fucking shouldn't unless you have a very good reason to (because EVERYONE likes to think they're above basic writing rules, and then they write shit)

*autotune*

I'm not participating in a collaborative creative process for FFX like you would get in a creative writing class; a critique in this context is an examination of a subject according to specific criteria and does not need to "find one good thing to say" in order to be a quality critique. Criticism isn't about nice or not nice, positive or negative, it's about examination and exploration.

But, as SilverWind said, I'm not doing a critique of FFX. I'm making silly posts as I play it.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I am not sitting through a playthrough of FF13 oh my god

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Oh come on

We get to hear somnambulist Liara yell at people

Or I could put it in Japanese! Our Chinese copy lets us do that!

You were just asking me about MST3K and now we will learn together

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I'll watch a stream of Wyborn and Silverwind MST3K'ing through FFXIII

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    At least with MST3K you only have to sit there for an hour and a half, maybe 2. XIII is not so merciful.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Schide wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

...HUH. That's.... huh.

Copied full sail from the Darkengard 3 LP thread and "Pulled from Dengeki by Drakengard-3.com.", spoilers for Nier here, sort of:
    -New game takes place after Ending D of Nier.

-Neither Gestalts nor Replicants will be in it.

-There will be name drops, but Emil will appear in person. Accord will be mentioned by name! Another character that is unnamed but shocked the reporters will appear.

-Yoko Taro says new people can play the game without getting lost, but he is afraid fans of the series will be angry with him.

-Yoko taro claims there is a happy ending, the other staff there disagree.

-The junk heap will be revisited in some form. Oh joy.

-Drakengard-3.com's owner translates the celestrial text as "Angel Human Robot"

-Yoko Taro's love of shooters means that will make an appearence, but other genres are unlikely? (I have seen reports/interviews report that it WILL or WON'T have multiple genres, confused on this personally.)

-Lots of weapons.

-3 playable characters, you cannot freely swap between them, but some may unlock with endings. The multiple endings will work differently from the other drakengard/nier games

-Emi Evans confirmed, get hype.

-Game was initially slated for phones or vita but they decided to go all out and do it right.

-The plot is almost done now, delves deeper into 'the world of Yoko Taro'

rULg4E4.jpg?1

so we can probably expect this to be another patented Yoko Taro "everything is awful and then you die, with 5 branching tragic endings" sort of story I guess
    good, good

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Radius wrote: »
    I'll watch a stream of Wyborn and Silverwind MST3K'ing through FFXIII

This would be text, and also less "full LP" as "I make running commentary while SilverWind tries to knit so fiercely that all external stimuli blur into a nonsensical slurry"

I don't think either of us has what it takes for an actual recording

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Nier 2
    I guess realizing someone is annoyed with you isn't cause to re-examine what you're doing/saying? *shrug*

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    FF7 remake
    I guess realizing someone is annoyed with you isn't cause to re-examine what you're doing/saying? *shrug*

Why should it be?

• Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Dubh, I'm not sure why you're being as aggressive as you are in this. I already said I would tone down the joking and apologized for taking on a tone that took away from the fun of some of the thread participants. I don't know how much more you can reasonably expect me to do with regards to making light-hearted posts about Final Fantasy.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Nier 2
    I'm... being aggressive? Oh. Okay.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

your critique is crap

*autotune*

It depends on what the point of the critique is.

If your critique is directed toward a work in progress (say, in a creative writing class) then yeah, you should absolutely find the good parts of a work and make sure to bring those up, however minor they may be.

But if you're writing for an audience and critiquing a finished work, it's not a requirement to discuss or even look for something good to say if it's not a valuable contribution to your piece.

If I have, let's say, a thousand words to discuss a movie I think fails on every fundamental visual and narrative level, I'm not going to waste any space mentioning how the bullet sound effects seemed competent. I'm going to focus on what's important, and if the important parts are all bad, then that's what gets written about.

Of course, very few works fall that far on the bad side of things, but if someone thinks something is that bad, I'm not going to disregard their input just because they didn't make a criticism sandwich.

• Options
    Nier 2
    I legit thought he was making serious criticisms

because I wasn't finding any of it super funny

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    I'm... being aggressive? Oh. Okay.

In the sense that you're continuing to focus on one point well past where I've addressed it, and to the exclusion of other parts of the conversation, yes. More, I think you're also being pretty dismissive of anything I have to say on the matter, which isn't making for a balanced conversation. I'm not asking you to sit back and consider the finer implications of any particular thing I have to say, but I would appreciate it if we got to a point in this conversation where I didn't feel like concessions I'm making are being ignored.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Pretend that a giant movie screen is playing FFX, and Wyborn is the tiny silhouette of Tom Servo shouting silly things as the game progresses. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I've always found that style of thing to be pretty funny, even if the silly things are not entirely 'fair'

I suspect we'll get a real run-down of his thoughts when he's completed the game, and we will know this by the novel-length posts dissecting the plot

Didgeridoo on
This discussion has been closed.