As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    turtleant wrote: »
    Stilts I think you might be getting just a bit to angry about someone not liking a video game you like as much as you.

Or not liking it in the same way even.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, absolutely.

But I understand why Stilts would be angry when someone is playing through a game that ranks among his very favorite, and having someone pick apart almost every single aspect of it, including things that would be considered needlessly critical.

Once in a while it can lead to an interesting analysis, like the extended conversation I had with someone who claimed the ending to FFVI was hugely negative because the interpretation that
    Terra losing her power so she can live a "normal life" is considered a commentary on women losing their independence so they can go and live a sheltered maternal role (in her case, going back to raising the kids at the orphanage).

I disagreed with the statement, but still respected it. It was an interesting viewpoint I never considered, and it was met with equal respect from both sides.

But having someone play through your favorite game and essentially going "Boy that sucks, boy that's stupid" every five minutes can admittedly get grating. I know from experience.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    They aren't real

I mean this very sentiment could be used to hand wave sexism, racism, whatever you want-ism in any video game.

That's an interesting position to take.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    They aren't real

I mean this very sentiment could be used to hand wave sexism, racism, whatever you want-ism in any video game.

that is quite the comparison

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    I think instead of a vampire she might be some sort of werewolf.

"Berseria." Must be a werebear.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    I, on the other hand, love FFX but also enjoy Wyborn's posts poking fun at the game. They're pretty clearly being made in a joking manner. I think you may be reading more aggression into the posts than is actually present, Stilts

It's a tough game for someone to play today, I think, as a lot of it (the dialogue and voice acting in particular) has aged pretty poorly.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Other
    especially since it wasn't very good to begin with

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    doing the beach episode of Valkyria Chronicles post first major-character-death was interesting, if only because [dead character] was momentarily alive again and for a while Welkin was the only one talking to them and I could fit it in as him having a serious breakdown

but then they all played volleyball and that stopped working so whatever

also I got literally nothing out of it but the ability to view everybody in their swimwear in the character profile thing. Yay.

• Options
    Nier 2
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    They aren't real

People get invested in what they get invested in.

That's pretty much the reason this entire website exists. The fact games aren't real doesn't really change the fact they elicit emotional responses from people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    They aren't real

People get invested in what they get invested in.

That's pretty much the reason this entire website exists. The fact games aren't real doesn't really change the fact they elicit emotional responses from people.

Well sure but it's not like Wyborn is ripping the game to shreds he's posting little jokes

The response seems disproportional

and kinda silly

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I, on the other hand, love FFX but also enjoy Wyborn's posts poking fun at the game. They're pretty clearly being made in a joking manner. I think you may be reading more aggression into the posts than is actually present, Stilts

It's a tough game for someone to play today, I think, as a lot of it (the dialogue and voice acting in particular) has aged pretty poorly.

That's not the vibe I'm getting, but I've often admitted how hard it is to read someone's intent as a forum post.

Regardless, even in joke form there's more criticism than praise. Hence why I can understand if it upsets someone who values said game.

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Other
    I enjoy Wyborn's FFX posts too (and I like the game).
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    doing the beach episode of Valkyria Chronicles post first major-character-death was interesting, if only because [dead character] was momentarily alive again and for a while Welkin was the only one talking to them and I could fit it in as him having a serious breakdown

also I got literally nothing out of it but the ability to view everybody in their swimwear in the character profile thing. Yay.

Is Valkyria Chronicles really good? I played part of it but my PS3 at the time was having graphic issues with certain games, so I ended up selling it. But maybe I should get it again now that I have a PS3 that works. :P

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

That's not the vibe I'm getting, but I've often admitted how hard it is to read someone's intent as a forum post.

Regardless, even in joke form there's more criticism than praise. Hence why I can understand if it upsets someone who values said game.

Yes, they are criticisms, but... are we not allowed to make criticisms about games? Did I miss that memo?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario
    Desu~ Ex counts as a jRPG now right? it's made by SE and everything

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    builderr0r wrote: »

Is Valkyria Chronicles really good? I played part of it but my PS3 at the time was having graphic issues with certain games, so I ended up selling it. But maybe I should get it again now that I have a PS3 that works. :P

I'm enjoying it for the most part! It's a weird little tactics rpg with some goofy charm to it. Sometimes the charm is at odds with the rest of the setting, and sometimes the mechanics are a little...unpolished or irritating, but I've been having fun with it. Mostly.

I'd say look up some videos of it first, it's pretty clear about what it's going to be almost immediately and you can tell if that interests you or not.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Other
    valkyrie chronicles has problems but I liked it an awful lot in spite of those problems

you can also get it for $5 on steam right now

Jars on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nier 2
    builderr0r wrote: »

I really enjoyed it. The combat is a blast, and the rating system really encourages you to push your limits.

The story is super duper anime, fwiw.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    If I didnt' have some affection for the game I wouldn't be posting about it; I'd forget about playing it and just let it sink into the ether

I remember lambasting P4, too, though that game had a lot more plot twist moments that were like "WHAAAAAAAA" so my posts had a different tone (also the game was all about relationships so I approached it with a different mindset)

I'm going to keep posting about FFX but I'll be cutting back on the jokes so as to be less grating for people more invested in the game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Other
    the story and main characters are the weaker part of the game but I loved the side characters in your squad. some of the plot stuff was real dumb
    "we don't need your power alicia! that's why we can only destroy this tank because you chucked your lance at it and blasted a huge hole in it!"
    "we can win without sacrificing anyone! except squads 1 and 3. sucks to be them"

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    The way I see it, if you didn't like FFX you wouldn't keep playing it

It can take a good ribbing

Everything can

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Heck, Wyborn posting about FFX almost makes me want to play it. I definitely read his posts as kind of poking fun at some of the more ridiculous aspects of the plot but still overall enjoying the game.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Other
    I'm attempting to finish FF13. Second attempt, currently in the ice lake area early on.

I have seen a lot of praise for the combat in 13. Many people even say it's the best part of the game. How do I make it fun? Because right now and when I played previously (up to and into the big grassy area) it's mainly a battle against tedium rather than monsters. I find that I just mash auto and change paradigms, as it seems too fast paced to be able to input commands manually and achieve anything, and constantly moving camera makes it hard for me to tell what's going on or where things are in relation to each other most of the time. I just... How do the people who love this play it? I want to know, I want to give this game a fair go and see what people see in it.

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Other
    Yeah, that's how I feel @ASimPerson . I need to get around to playing more FFX, but I have such a backlog atm...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Nier 2
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Heck, Wyborn posting about FFX almost makes me want to play it. I definitely read his posts as kind of poking fun at some of the more ridiculous aspects of the plot but still overall enjoying the game.

I feel like I'm repeating myself here.

But I didn't get this impression because he literally never mentioned anything he liked about it.

So, for me, what that communicated was that Wyborn was mocking it in order to make playing it more bearable.

I am not angry.

I am confused.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    kaine's dress is just ugly

I know she can wear a better cheesecake dress than that

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Guys I'm not saying that Home being swarmed by fiends is proof of the inherent problem with trying to gather all of the summoners into one place to protect them

But

Wait yes I guess I am saying that. I'd say "I told you so" but rubbing a corpse's face in it just ins't the same

It's nice that you're so casual about a genocide.

brings me back to mass effect threads

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Nier 2
    -Tal wrote: »
    Guys I'm not saying that Home being swarmed by fiends is proof of the inherent problem with trying to gather all of the summoners into one place to protect them

But

Wait yes I guess I am saying that. I'd say "I told you so" but rubbing a corpse's face in it just ins't the same

The Geth were the real victims.

#quarianoppression

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm attempting to finish FF13. Second attempt, currently in the ice lake area early on.

I have seen a lot of praise for the combat in 13. Many people even say it's the best part of the game. How do I make it fun? Because right now and when I played previously (up to and into the big grassy area) it's mainly a battle against tedium rather than monsters. I find that I just mash auto and change paradigms, as it seems too fast paced to be able to input commands manually and achieve anything, and constantly moving camera makes it hard for me to tell what's going on or where things are in relation to each other most of the time. I just... How do the people who love this play it? I want to know, I want to give this game a fair go and see what people see in it.

Basically, don't try to input commands at all, just change paradigms, that's really what the combat is about. The problem is that the paradigms you can choose from are very limited in the beginning of the game, and will continue to be so for a while. Basically, it's going to be kind of dull for a while longer.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates

But

Heh, those al bhed might be awful but at least they aren't batarians right???????

• Options
    Fire Emblem Fates

But

ah, the best jrpg to ever come out of canada (?)

• Options
    Nier 2
    After the improvements made to 13-2 I tried going back to 13 and its pretty rough for most of the game.

Definitely the biggest problem I continue to have with that game is how long they hamstring your ability to actually play the game how it's designed.

Coming back to it again though, I have been enjoying the hunts and such.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    you don't fight an actual interesting encounter in that game for twelve hours

it isn't even a gradual progression either

you just arrive at one boss and "welp we're taking off the limiters now, I hope you can adjust to a vastly faster pace than before!"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    ah yes the legendary point where the game stops being a corridor simulator 30 hours in
    too bad I threw it in the garbage just before I got that far

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    no that point is even further

the combat just becomes really really good, instead of boring, at hour 12

• Options
    edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    I definitely didn't notice a point where the combat system suddenly became fun, what stage of the linear part of the game does that happen in

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    it's some plant boss after an area with behemoths for the first time

• Options
    FF7 remake
    I remember a plant boss in a sort of wild overgrowthy area at some point, don't remember if there were any behemoths

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    yeah that was it.

it's the first boss that does some real damage and has too much health to fight normally without taking forever

you need to learn to paradigm shift smartly and, most importantly. quickly, to beat him

there's some meter that gets introduced in that fight iirc but I have such hazy memories of that game

• Options
    FF7 remake
    I think that's the only boss I remember other than the summon fights so it must have been memorable for something

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Larlar
    I have unopened copies of FFXIII and XIII-2 on my shelf for more than a year now because of people kept saying that it gets fun after 12 hours, I really want to play it though since it's the only FF series that I have not touched besides the first one

But 12 hours man, is everything worth it? I hope the story is at least more entertaining compared to XII

• Options
    edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    Now that I think about it, I didn't actually care about the linearity of the game at all, that was just a common complaint I latched on to. I just thought the story was uninteresting and hated the characters and the dialogue. It was all just badly written. If the story had grabbed me I would have thought the game design was inoffensive.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.