As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Wyborn wrote: »
    All right, Jecht talking to the camcorder is the first instance of really good voice acting in the game so far

Fun Fact: Jecht's voice actor also played Grimlock in the Transformers: Fall of Cybertron game.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    Wakka is 23
    Lulu 22
    Auron is freaking 35

I can't wait to turn all grizzly in 5 years.

Guys get to turn all grizzly and stuff

Gals get to turn all nonexistant!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Wakka is 23
    Lulu 22
    Auron is freaking 35

"No," replies Wyborn after reading my post, "That happens at 26."

< / 3

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Wakka is 23
    Lulu 22
    Auron is freaking 35

hey hey come on

some of them can make it to 40 before that happens

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i mean they're usually the evil rulers of foreign nation-states but still

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    It's kind of interesting how Tidus's mother isn't so much a character as she is a lynchpin of understanding that illustrates how Tidus and Jecht relate to each other. She literally dies without Jecht, and the most characterization she has is that she ignores her son in favor of her husband. That's as far as her autonomy extends - she only takes care of Tidus on an emotional level when Jecht says she should.

In a sense she's just an extension of Jecht, rather than a person in her own right.

Interesting, but also very weird. It places more and more emphasis on the masculine side of the Oedipal dynamic that Tidus has with Jecht, where Tidus doesn't love his mother, he just hates his father.

Yuna has sort of the same thing going. Her mom existed, but we don't know anything abotu her, because the only relationship she had that actually matters (so far) is the one she had with her father.

Weird weird weird.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Sometimes women can return from the aether of their 30s as a kindly grandmother

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Nier 2
    Wakka is 23
    Lulu 22
    Auron is freaking 35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPpsI8mWKmg

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Houk wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    if only the spirans would realize they're not all bhed

fuck

This thread took a turn for the bheder.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Larlar
    You people have turned this place into a hotbhed of terrible puns

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    It does feel nice to have 6-9 sphere levels queued up for all of your characters

Edit: oh God, Wakka and Rikku arguing about faith vs. rationalism

Edit2: I want to say Lulu looks like she'd be comfortable in this snowy environment (when the fuck did we cross over rom lush forest into frozen tundra) but she just leaves the girls hanging way otu there and nope, still weird

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    All right gang we've reached the point where Auron, Wakka, and Lulu are only barely talking around the fact that they're now out to murder Seymour

That's fine

It's good that this is in the open now

Edit: This is now much more in the open than I anticipated. God, figures the adds would just throw protect on themselves...

Edit2: Oh man, I love Shiva's hair, and also how badly she just ate Anima's lunch, but who did the designs for this game and why does he have to show us all the butts

Edit3: This would be a lot more dramatic if the advert for FFXHD that run in my EB for months didn't include a shot of Yuna in her wedding gown so I know this shit-hank ain't really-really dead

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    https://youtu.be/ZHMJZqcnuU0

I think instead of a vampire she might be some sort of werewolf.

If it's something where she's actually transforming constantly, that outfit suddenly makes a bit more sense. Or at least, there's an actual context behind that sequence nightmare of torn straps and belts.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Father of every year!

vlj7oc2.jpg?1

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    Why is Nier He-Man?

Also that Yonah stare...

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    "Send him, Yuna."

"NO WE'RE RUNNING OFF WITH HIS CORPSE"

I'm sure that's fine, that'll be fine

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Why is Nier He-Man?

Also that Yonah stare...

It's from part of a 3 issue online comic for Nier that had some interesting art choices.
    MZG4aVA.jpg

MNRbSUx.jpg

D4GYuSa.png

HcO8HKg.jpg

XqEyJQt.jpg

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    This game's handling of religious dogma is pretty ham-fisted in places

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Schide wrote: »
    Why is Nier He-Man?

Also that Yonah stare...

It's from part of a 3 issue online comic for Nier that had some interesting art choices.
    MZG4aVA.jpg

MNRbSUx.jpg

D4GYuSa.png

HcO8HKg.jpg

XqEyJQt.jpg

I'm dying Squirtle

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    This game's handling of religious dogma is pretty ham-fisted in places

I mean were you looking at Seymour's hair? Everything about X is pretty hamfisted.

I think that might even be part of the charm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    If there isn't a clip of Jecht singing the Hymn of the Fayth then this game has been one colossal waste of time

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    that sure is a dress

yes, it is
    accurate to the game model too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Larlar
    that sure is a dress

yes, it is

oof

• Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Guys I'm not saying that Home being swarmed by fiends is proof of the inherent problem with trying to gather all of the summoners into one place to protect them

But

Wait yes I guess I am saying that. I'd say "I told you so" but rubbing a corpse's face in it just ins't the same

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Other
    i was just thinking today about how almost everyone in ffx is written as if they're ten years older

and now i see y'all were talking about it!

good work team

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Nier 2
    that sure is a dress

yes, it is

oof

Kaine's outfit is real bad.

I can't think of many games that put more work into contextualizing why a character dresses the way they do and making it a part of their backstory then they do with Kaine.

But it's still a real bad outfit.

Luckily, everything else about Kaine is fucking aces.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Nier 2
    Guys I'm not saying that Home being swarmed by fiends is proof of the inherent problem with trying to gather all of the summoners into one place to protect them

But

Wait yes I guess I am saying that. I'd say "I told you so" but rubbing a corpse's face in it just ins't the same

It's nice that you're so casual about a genocide.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    They aren't real

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Nier 2
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    They aren't real

I mean

Duh?

Doesn't stop me from feeling like Wyborn is being a bit harsh toward the Al Bhed

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Stilts wrote: »

But

This post actually made me do a double-take

I apologize if my lack of gravity about this event has caused offense; I'll rein it in

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    beep boop

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    that sure is a dress

yes, it is

oof

kaine is a super interesting character and that cheesecake has some pretty interesting justification even if it's still cheesecake

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Nier 2
    Stilts wrote: »

But

This post actually made me do a double-take

I apologize if my lack of gravity about this event has caused offense; I'll rein it in

Okay, so, ignoring the sarcasm in this post...

I guess I'm just frustrated that it doesn't seem like I should even bother sharing my thoughts about the game, because I feel like you won't care. And I was really hoping I could share my thoughts with you, because I like when we have discussions about narratives.

But, like, all these posts you've made about it already? If someone asked me what you liked about FFX, I'd just shrug. I have no idea if you like anything about it, because it's been 99% snark and 1% Freudian analysis of Tidus.

If you don't like it, okay, that's cool. Plenty of people think FFX is garbage.

But, you know.

How would you react if someone went into the Witcher thread and did pretty much the same thing, and pretty much brushed your posts off?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Fire Emblem Fates
    I was not being in any way sarcastic.

And Stilts, you're not really trying to have a conversation, here - you kind of get your hackles up when I talk about Rikku or the Al-Bhed but I odn't think I've heard you give your perspective on any of the events even once outside of just a canonical explanation. If you want to have a conversation about the relative merits of different elements of the story, I'd love to. That sounds great. I am always for that kind of conversation, especially if the alternative is what feels like a slowly building resentment about the way I'm posting about the game.

I apologize if I'm posting in a way that's not fun for you. This is not a story I'm engaging with in the same way I did Persona, and the few times I actually do get serious about posting with regards to aspects of the game it doesn't really seem to earn me any conversation, so I've mostly stopped. I'll try to post less frivolously in the future.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Nier 2
    I was not being in any way sarcastic.

And Stilts, you're not really trying to have a conversation, here - you kind of get your hackles up when I talk about Rikku or the Al-Bhed but I odn't think I've heard you give your perspective on any of the events even once outside of just a canonical explanation. If you want to have a conversation about the relative merits of different elements of the story, I'd love to. That sounds great. I am always for that kind of conversation, especially if the alternative is what feels like a slowly building resentment about the way I'm posting about the game.

I apologize if I'm posting in a way that's not fun for you. This is not a story I'm engaging with in the same way I did Persona, and the few times I actually do get serious about posting with regards to aspects of the game it doesn't really seem to earn me any conversation, so I've mostly stopped. I'll try to post less frivolously in the future.

Not...really?

I responded whenever you thought dialogue was strange or actions didn't make sense, and I thought you might appreciate my perspective on why they do make sense. It's kind of hard for me to engage with you on a deeper level than that because you haven't finished the game, and I lot of why I like FFX is how everything in it holds up its core themes. I...sort of can't do that without spoiling it for you.

It's also hard for me to figure out what to talk to you about when I have no idea what you actually enjoy.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Nier 2
    Stilts I think you might be getting just a bit to angry about someone not liking a video game you like as much as you.

Or not liking it in the same way even.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    I can see why stilts is annoyed

can't blame them

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    I would've picked South Park if the FFVII remake weren't announced the same day

But alas we live in a great world

Oh hey FFX talk

X is still my favorite FF

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I snark at a game with no provocation. If I like it, the snarking it lighthearted. If I don't, and it's getting me irritated, it drifts into more of a lambasting territory.

This discussion has been closed.