As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    I played halo once I dunno which one

it was against my girlfriend-at-the-time's 14yo nephew

I was like 25

he embarrassed me

he embarrassed me bad

Is this why she is no longer your girlfriend. Seeing you so thoroughly dominated by an adolescent meant you no longer appeared a viable mate.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I've never heard of an adjunct being tenured, that's interesting. Regardless, it's kind of an aside to the point of the article which was no tenure = fear of offending a student = watering down your class so that no one can find anything offensive in it.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-krugman-battles-austerians/

@feral @mrmister @riemannlives @""Donkey Kong"

super fancy multimedia, albeit not really educational

Unconvincing, but hilarious to those of us who share Krug's hatred of austerity asceticism.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    halo was my favorite FPS for a long time

but i really didn't like the Improvements in Halo 4 so i stopped having fun with it

then my gold subscription ran out so now my xbox is a hulu/netflix player

Lh96QHG.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So Jack Daniels makes a rye now.

It is actually kind of competent.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Interesting. Are they using the charcoal filter?

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I played the campaign of Halo 1, ODST and Reach. I think ODST is the best Halo game.

My two older brother and my dad and I played a ton of Halo 3, ODST and Reach multiplayer, and we'll still get it out during the holidays when everyone is home.

I never really held an affinity for the series but the multiplayer served and continues to serve as a real rallying point for my family when we all get together.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I've never heard of an adjunct being tenured, that's interesting. Regardless, it's kind of an aside to the point of the article which was no tenure = fear of offending a student = watering down your class so that no one can find anything offensive in it.

adjuncts aren't tenured

they're part time staff who will not be invited back to teach the next semester if they piss off too many students, have a bad pass/fail rate (regardless of why) because there's always more people who need the money out there

they're like one rung up from TAs but TAs usually have a better deal of it

Lh96QHG.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Listening to the Marc Maron podcast with Obama

He is so flabbergasted that the president is going to be in his garage

which I mean to be fair I probably would be too

but it is totes adorbs

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Guess the complaints about the PC version of Arkham Knight weren't overblown, huh. Just got pulled from Steam. D:

That's crazy -- the only thing I remember ever getting pulled from steam was that one super micro-transactiony zombie game I think

edit: I guess maybe WB pulled it and not valve

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    synd I set up the TV and immediately dove into Forza 5

my reaction:

https://youtu.be/Bx51eegLTY8

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Most adjuncts have to teach at a couple different schools at a time to make ends me.

Like a few at a comm college, one at local uni, etc

It's cheap for the schools, cause then there's one less full time salary/benefits person in their budget

but it's awful for the instructor, especially when you consider they have to have a masters at least, phd preferred to get in which means they've probably got some student loan debt

My terrible googling led me to this:
    Assistant Lecturer $41,424
    Lecturer $53,791
    Senior Lecturer $70,544
    Associate Professor $85,724
    Professor (bottom of scale) $92,834

Which doesn't seem to bad.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I thought Halo started its development as a racer.

It started as a cooking mama clone called Master Chef

Your major foe is the Ovenant, who has unwittingly unleashed the Food on the universe.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

Listening to the Marc Maron podcast with Obama

He is so flabbergasted that the president is going to be in his garage

which I mean to be fair I probably would be too

but it is totes adorbs

I haven't listened yet, but given Maron's usual anxiety about everything, I feel like listening to it will give a panic attack by osmosis.

right now i am waiting for my laundry to finish so i can go to bed

so i am watching The Subway episode of Seinfeld

Lh96QHG.png
    desc Im trying to come back to LA but the airline won't cooperate.

Why would you be trying to go toward LA?

LA is the thing you try to get away from.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i cant stop reading tubes ama

i've read 37 pages so far

send help

b-b-but, my stuff and my car are there.

Mortious wrote: »
    Most adjuncts have to teach at a couple different schools at a time to make ends me.

It's cheap for the schools, cause then there's one less full time salary/benefits person in their budget

but it's awful for the instructor, especially when you consider they have to have a masters at least, phd preferred to get in which means they've probably got some student loan debt

Lecturer $53,791
    Senior Lecturer $70,544

Those are not adjunct positions, those are full time gigs

Lh96QHG.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I thought Halo started its development as a racer.

It started as a cooking mama clone called Master Chef

Your major foe is the Ovenant, who has unwittingly unleashed the Food on the universe.
    Feral, you are such a card.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    also I have a deep seated loathing of Halo

tho that's not really Halo's fault

it's more the fault of dumb friends who would not fucking shut up about Halo

basically if I could play Halo without being master chief and somehow inside the Destiny engine that would be ideal

desc wrote: »
    basically if I could play Halo without being master chief and somehow inside the Destiny engine that would be ideal

it looks like this is maybe sort of what halo 5 will be

Lh96QHG.png

ODST and Reach both accomplish dis outside of the Destiny engine.

If you play ODST on the hardest difficulty it really makes you feel how dominant Master Chief is because you are just a scrub and like more than 2 grunts is prolly gonna fuk ya up

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Interesting. Are they using the charcoal filter?

It's a rested rye. They have an unaged rye they released some time ago, and this is that product, only having spent three more years in a new white oak barrel.

And yeah, charcoal "mellowed" - which is to say filtered.

It's no whistle pig, but I might like it more than bulleit. Which I damn well better because it is 20 dollars more per bottle. Limited release.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I realize I've been very salty and fanboyish about all things Xbox ever since E3. I guess I was legitimately mad and upset that the chain of events MS set in motion when they started the Xbox has culminated in a Fallout game that doesn't have actual dialog choices, and that has dredged up a lot of immature fanboyism from my younger days. Apologies if anyone found that offensive or annoying.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A shooter on Macs is a dumb idea, and someone had to talk Bungie out of it. My teenage self spent countless sleepovers with friends, rigging Xboxes together to capture the flags and eat pizza until the sun rose on virgin faces. "Let's bring our Macs together to play some games, you guys" said no one ever. Macs are for music, and pretending to write.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    MrMister wrote: »
    @ronya @Apothe0sis

as usual

comments are pretty on point.

Singer is, if nothing else, a consistent shining example of why academic freedom is important.

@MrMister
    It feels strange to want to read and respond positively to comments on the internet.

I went and read the Barnes article as recommended and found no obvious link beyond the very general "disability is discussed".
    I'm v opposed to shit that Tim Hunt said on a scientific basis because as a scientist he should present evidence for his claims other than the experiential. That being said, the attack on philosophers of late for doing philosophy is the dumbest goddamn shit and highlights why tenure is really damn important.

Read a good article by an anonymous author who was identified only as an adjunct professor at a large U.S. university (adjunct means no tenure for those not up on academia employment). He said that all his lectures are now prepared for the current environment where offending a student risks dismissal. This is a thing he agonizes over and loses sleep over because he needs his job. He also said other adjuncts he knows have the same fears.

Some people will find that great, as of course being offended is amongst the worst possible things. But consider that the line between being offended and being challenged is razor thin, varies from student to student, and for some students anything that challenges them is perceived as offensive. It is of course your right to take to the internet and attempt to get a mob going, which can cause not only dismissal of an unprotected professor but unemployability if a large enough stink is made.

And of course this offended student can be anyone. It needn't be a black, gay, or trans student. It can be a religious student (of any religion) a conservative student etc. None of these viewpoints can be safely challenged by an unprotected professor. It only takes one student to be super offended, take to the internet and get a dogpile going, and the university will drop you on your ass because you're an adjunct and they hired you into that position because you are pretty expendable.

So yes, tenure is super fucking important because we are quickly reaching the point where only tenured professors can say things that challenge students.

I think I read the same article. Was it on Vox?

The one I read went to great lengths to pin the blame on oversensitive students, even though it was obvious from the text that the crux of the issue is that adjunct professors are expendable.

There are few more seminal experiences for our generation, I think, than all night lan parties to shoot your friends in the fucking face like the haxor noobs they are

Lh96QHG.png

ODST and Reach both accomplish dis outside of the Destiny engine.

If you play ODST on the hardest difficulty it really makes you feel how dominant Master Chief is because you are just a scrub and like more than 2 grunts is prolly gonna fuk ya up

i want to play reach on my bone

b-b-but, my stuff and my car are there.

Those refugees who arrive at refugee camps have next to nothing, just the clothes on their backs and maybe a little that they carried.

But you know those refugees who went back to the village to try to grab their stuff?

No. You don't.

Because they all died.

Halo will forever have a special place in my heart because of the very amusing names for the various chapters.

The connections with Marathon and my resulting interest in the AIs also makes Halo most intriguing to me. Unfortunately they're only there a little bit.

Elki wrote: »
    A shooter on Macs is a dumb idea, and someone had to talk Bungie out of it. My teenage self spent countless sleepovers with friends, rigging Xboxes together to capture the flags and eat pizza until the sun rose on virgin faces. "Let's bring our Macs together to play some games, you guys" said no one ever. Macs are for music, and pretending to write.

It was never mac only. That's marathon. It was going to be Mac and PC, simultaneously.

Mortious wrote: »

Lecturer $53,791
    Senior Lecturer $70,544

If you're full time. Most adjuncts aren't. And they're often in debt up to their eyeballs because Amurrica.

it looks like this is maybe sort of what halo 5 will be

yeah

I watched the little TV show

I am ready to be the dude in the black armor

although obviously that is not as ideal as a custom waifu in custom armor

desc do you wanna meet somewhere and grab drinks in the next week or two?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    @ronya @Apothe0sis

as usual

comments are pretty on point.

Singer is, if nothing else, a consistent shining example of why academic freedom is important.

@MrMister
    It feels strange to want to read and respond positively to comments on the internet.

I went and read the Barnes article as recommended and found no obvious link beyond the very general "disability is discussed".
    I'm v opposed to shit that Tim Hunt said on a scientific basis because as a scientist he should present evidence for his claims other than the experiential. That being said, the attack on philosophers of late for doing philosophy is the dumbest goddamn shit and highlights why tenure is really damn important.

Read a good article by an anonymous author who was identified only as an adjunct professor at a large U.S. university (adjunct means no tenure for those not up on academia employment). He said that all his lectures are now prepared for the current environment where offending a student risks dismissal. This is a thing he agonizes over and loses sleep over because he needs his job. He also said other adjuncts he knows have the same fears.

Some people will find that great, as of course being offended is amongst the worst possible things. But consider that the line between being offended and being challenged is razor thin, varies from student to student, and for some students anything that challenges them is perceived as offensive. It is of course your right to take to the internet and attempt to get a mob going, which can cause not only dismissal of an unprotected professor but unemployability if a large enough stink is made.

And of course this offended student can be anyone. It needn't be a black, gay, or trans student. It can be a religious student (of any religion) a conservative student etc. None of these viewpoints can be safely challenged by an unprotected professor. It only takes one student to be super offended, take to the internet and get a dogpile going, and the university will drop you on your ass because you're an adjunct and they hired you into that position because you are pretty expendable.

So yes, tenure is super fucking important because we are quickly reaching the point where only tenured professors can say things that challenge students.

I think I read the same article. Was it on Vox?

The one I read went to great lengths to pin the blame on oversensitive students, even though it was obvious from the text that the crux of the issue is that adjunct professors are expendable.

but its definitely the students

if im teaching a class about pensi i should be aloud to say what I WANT

and what i want to say is PENSI

obF2Wuw.png
    desc do you wanna meet somewhere and grab drinks in the next week or two?

yas

I wasn't a big Reach fan for the campaign, but it was neat to see your homemade man running around in the cutscenes

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.