As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thesean Empire [Chat]

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
Can the Byzantine Empire be considered Roman?

The Ship of Theseus asks you to consider a wooden ship. A plank breaks and you replace it. Another plank breaks and you replace it. This continues until the entire ship has been replaced. Is it the same ship?

Something similar can be thought of with Rome. A small sailing ship that has parts not only replaced, but added, growing and growing until the original sailing ship is a lifeboat on a gigantic cruise liner. The cruise liner is partly dismantled and reassembled as two liners, one Eastern and one Western, and the Western one sinks, taking the sailing ship with it. Can the surviving liner stake any claim to the legacy of the sailing ship?

I think so. Since there was in effect continuity of government at least until 1204, the incremental changes don't really matter. Rome was always changing anyway. Romulus wouldn't recogognise Tarquin wouldn't recognise Fabius wouldn't recognise Augustus wouldn't recognise Domitian wouldn't recognise Commodus wouldn't recognise Gallienus wouldn't recognise Diocletian wouldn't recognise Constantine wouldn't recognise Theodosius.

Change happens suckas!

Alternate OP hey watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_2E0RxVHH4

And this too because Crusaders be cray cray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVBvAJcw7P8

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I know all about the crash of the Byzantium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXBECNufEDs

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just don't understand how women can tolerate wearing flats, at all. If you don't want stuff covering your feet, then why are you not wearing flip flops?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    the chat is dead, long live the chat

sig.gif
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Was hoping for chat about Sodor.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I just don't understand how women can tolerate wearing flats, at all. If you don't want stuff covering your feet, then why are you not wearing flip flops?

flats so adorbs

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    God Dr. Who looks so lame.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

A cautionary tale about buying anything on credit.

• Options

Next time, Gadget

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    God Dr. Who looks so lame.

Dr. Who is lame

Doctor Who is fuckawesome

Doctor Hooey is better than either of em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxcMCr_lA7M

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I also considered an OP about the Twelfth, but that requires more introspective thought when you are culturally tied to opposition to it.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The application process for this place makes me wonder how many applicants they have to deal with

Like, it's a multi step process and at each step I've had an email acknowledging my submission and saying they'll get back to me within two weeks, followed immediately by another inviting me to complete the next step

And the phone interview thing makes it apparent that despite them having an elaborate online system for arranging dates and times for it is clearly just one person doing all of them

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I was just reading about Operation Vegetarian.

British WW2 plan to spread anthrax across the farms of Europe, poisoning a ton of civilians, killing off the cows, starting a continent-wide famine, and poisoning the land for decades.

War is hell I guess LOL

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

my toesies are cold

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    also if it's warm and raining, flats

if it's warm and not raining, flippy floppies

• Options
    Quiet's uh... "voice" actor with her figure;

PRwVOEV.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options

British WW2 plan to spread anthrax across the farms of Europe, poisoning a ton of civilians, killing off the cows, starting a continent-wide famine, and poisoning the land for decades.

War is hell I guess LOL

Listen to Hardcore History's "Logical Insanity" for the reasoning behind stuff like that and Hiroshima.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

[img]http://i.imgu r.com/PRwVOEV.jpg[/img]

why is voice in quotes

note: I have no idea what you're talking about

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »

[img]http://i.imgu r.com/PRwVOEV.jpg[/img]

why is voice in quotes

note: I have no idea what you're talking about

she's QUIET

• Options
    She's listed as Quiet's voice actor in the credits, but Quiet is mute, so...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Are you saying that she like, groaned a few times for combat noises or something and that was her only contribution?

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

War is hell I guess LOL

Listen to Hardcore History's "Logical Insanity" for the reasoning behind stuff like that and Hiroshima.

I'm not questioning the reasoning. I understand that.

It's just so fucking brutal and fucked up that people ever got to the point where it was thought to be the lesser of two evils.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

War is hell I guess LOL

One of the best episodes and that is very high praise considering the quality of the other episodes.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

A mere mortal attempts to comprehend Kojima's method.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

War is hell I guess LOL

I'm not questioning the reasoning. I understand that.

It's just so fucking brutal and fucked up that people ever got to the point where it was thought to be the lesser of two evils.

In a way, it's one of the more nefarious legacies of the Napoleonic wars: The mobilization of an entire nation to contribute to the struggle makes it very easy to conclude they're valid war targets.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

War is hell I guess LOL

One of the best episodes and that is very high praise considering the quality of the other episodes.

I've consumed all his free stuff, so I shall probably shell out for the backlog.

I've heard whispers the Punic Wars and Eastern Front series are aces.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I assume she at least grunts when she falls on jagged rocks or is shot or stubs her toe.
    i-BL7NczR-1050x10000.jpg

Either that or Quiet talks normally in the end and telling us the character has a voice actress is a spoiler.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

War is hell I guess LOL

I've consumed all his free stuff, so I shall probably shell out for the backlog.

I've heard whispers the Punic Wars and Eastern Front series are aces.

I did. It's really worth every penny.
    Though, I did it before the current web page was designed and apparently I lost all my privileges from before. :(

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

A mere mortal attempts to comprehend Kojima's method.

"Method"

He inflicts his weird fetishes and Japanese sexual repression on the rest of us?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Either that or Quiet talks normally in the end and telling us the character has a voice actress is a spoiler.

She's also Quiet's face, and her motion capture. So she's the actor for Quiet, it just tickles me whenever I see her written as the Voice Actor, since that's like the industry default, y'know? ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    About a month or so after moving in together, only a couple of months after we'd started seeing each other, I talked my then girlfriend, now wife, into getting a couple of kittens. We knew someone who'd failed to neuter her cat and now had seven kittens she didn't need, so we went round, chose the coolest two, and took them home. Now, seventeen years later, a year and a half after his sister was put to sleep after a short illness, we've had to put Blofeld down. He had had health problems for a couple of years, and lost his sight last Christmas. His kidneys packed up this week and it was time. He was loud, long-whiskered, fluffy and soft and very silly. We will miss him very much.

09181af9613f78f674c263b21db12055.jpg

That was Blofeld. Always let boxes know who was boss. Here he is with his sister, guarding some carpet.

80c0ebe435ccd0018d41d5a563379442.jpg

You have a good rest now.

d163a48351cd66cfa1077799bce47ddf.jpg

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Dear Chat,

Please help me pressure @spool32 into buying a pair of summer appropriate dress shoes.

He has about 2 hours to kill while I'm in a meeting (he's my chauffeur) and there are a ton of places around here to buy nice, well priced shoes.

Many thanks,
    Mrs. 32

• Options
    Nooooo Blofeld. D:

Sorry Bogart. He was good kitty. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Aww man, Bogart. :(
    Stay strong.

• Options
    Bogart, :bro: I'm so sorry. Losing pets is =(

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hakkes I shave them cuz I do not enjoy them being unshaven and also I am constantly wearing things without sleeves.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Sorry for your loss Bogart. I'm sure they were wonderful companions, both of them.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

you really get fixated on stuff.

• Options
    17's an amazing run for a cat, Bogart. Glad you got so much time with them.

• Options
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Dear Chat,

Please help me pressure spool32 into buying a pair of summer appropriate dress shoes.

He has about 2 hours to kill while I'm in a meeting (he's my chauffeur) and there are a ton of places around here to buy nice, well priced shoes.

Many thanks,
    Mrs. 32

Spool, do what your wife says.

She's v smart in this

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    About a month or so after moving in together, only a couple of months after we'd started seeing each other, I talked my then girlfriend, now wife, into getting a couple of kittens. We knew someone who'd failed to neuter her cat and now had seven kittens she didn't need, so we went round, chose the coolest two, and took them home. Now, seventeen years later, a year and a half after his sister was put to sleep after a short illness, we've had to put Blofeld down. He had had health problems for a couple of years, and lost his sight last Christmas. His kidneys packed up this week and it was time. He was loud, long-whiskered, fluffy and soft and very silly. We will miss him very much.

09181af9613f78f674c263b21db12055.jpg

That was Blofeld. Always let boxes know who was boss. Here he is with his sister, guarding some carpet.

80c0ebe435ccd0018d41d5a563379442.jpg

You have a good rest now.

d163a48351cd66cfa1077799bce47ddf.jpg

I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you guys.

This discussion has been closed.