Options

[Fighting Games] Kazunoko...too...strong!

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Snap, Rising Thunder email just came in.

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    Oh man, Talos is fun.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I cannot deal with Talos worth a damn in this game. Also the fact you can't see your opponent's meter is really weird. I end up eating wake-up supers (mostly Talos' super grab) because I have no idea how much they have.

Actually no, I eat it because I'm a goddamn scrub. Game is pretty fun though, and the cooldown mechanic isn't quite as annoying as I'd thought it would be.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I cannot deal with Talos worth a damn in this game. Also the fact you can't see your opponent's meter is really weird. I end up eating wake-up supers (mostly Talos' super grab) because I have no idea how much they have.

Actually no, I eat it because I'm a goddamn scrub. Game is pretty fun though, and the cooldown mechanic isn't quite as annoying as I'd thought it would be.

You can see the Super meter, it's the yellow one below health

You can't see their EX meter, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Rising Thunder is a real ass game. Even if there aren't many buttons

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

.... oh wow

All this time I didn't realize that was super. I thought it was stun or some shit because that's a weird spot to put the super meter.

I played enough to get bronze and I did not know this. I am a tremendous idiot.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    euphemon is my hero, saving me from the despondency of no rising thunder alpha

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Rising Thunder is a real ass game. Even if there aren't many buttons

It's an 8-button game!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

.... oh wow

All this time I didn't realize that was super. I thought it was stun or some shit because that's a weird spot to put the super meter.

I played enough to get bronze and I did not know this. I am a tremendous idiot.

I too am a member of the tremendous idiot club.

I don't even know why stun is in this game. Such an odd mechanic to include in a game that's trying to expand the market.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    I'm in Rising Thunder

Who's top tier

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Rising Thunder is a lot of fun. I'm terrible and have no idea what I'm doing but I'm having a good time (and can beat other scrubs like me)

Crow is rad as shit

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    B:L wrote: »
    I'm in Rising Thunder

Who's top tier

Edge has good mix-up options, Talos blows up people online but falls off once people learn the gimmick, Vlad is the most technical and probably also the best.

Dauntless has damage and range, but her mix-up options are slow. Chel has good zoning and high damage with cancel combos, but is one-dimensional in her approach. Crow I haven't played, but the pressure his projectile provides seems good.

• Options
    In essence:

Dauntless = Footsies
    Chel = Zoning/Punish Combos
    Crow = Mid Range Pressure
    Talos = One Button 720
    Edge = Top Tier
    Vlad = Swag Swag Swag

• Options
    i initially thought vlad was weird garbage but then i saw flight mode and i understood

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    RISING THUNDER GET!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    oh god i forgot

i forgot what playing on pad is like

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I guess Revelator is redesigning Elphelt's costume. It's, uh, yeah. =/

http://40.media.tumblr.com/18c1b0b0a5e1791272bc5357e122cbc2/tumblr_nsal4ya4EI1uq3bnuo1_1280.png

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I'm playing Vlad as a ghetto zoning/footsies character with stand M, rocket special, sweep, and instant flight H because I haven't got the actual wake up timing down yet and every time I go for a mixup on wake-up I fuck it up and land too early or behind them or both.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    This more I play Rising Thunder the less I like it :/ . My brain told me that this game was something that it wasn't. Not really the game's fault.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    P10 on
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    I guess Revelator is redesigning Elphelt's costume. It's, uh, yeah. =/

http://40.media.tumblr.com/18c1b0b0a5e1791272bc5357e122cbc2/tumblr_nsal4ya4EI1uq3bnuo1_1280.png

Well, spoilers, but
    she kinda does a major Face-Heel Turn right at the end of GG's story mode so the recolor makes some sense. She's got to look evil now so she can look pink again when she's redeemed/reprogrammed/performs noble self-sacrifice.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    What's this I hear about Crow having 80% combos into a free mixup

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    This more I play Rising Thunder the less I like it :/ . My brain told me that this game was something that it wasn't. Not really the game's fault.

what's it doing different from your expectations?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    Crow seems really good, but I'm playing Talos soo???

• Options
    dauntless seems to be able to setup high low mixups on either side from a kinetic advanced dustbreaker in the corner but i'm not sure how tricksy that actually becomes in a game with one button reversals

• Options
    My computer runs this game so awfully, but it is a blast.

Is talos only AA the grab? Cause that would be kinda lame. Also what are y'all using for Talos reversal?

• Options
    omg ranked matches are 2/3 2/3s
    best game

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    need to watch some tutorial videos or something cause I'm too dumb to figure it out without a tutorial in the game (but alpha/early beta so oh well)

seems neat overall though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    If you have any questions you can ask in here, I'd love to help out

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Fig-D wrote: »

what's it doing different from your expectations?

This is going to be kinda of rant-y, and I apologize for that in advance. Also spoiler'd for long.

For a game that set out to garner new a new crowd to fighting games, the game seems needlessly complex. First, the nitpicks.

Buttons:

Three buttons for attacks and three for special moves seems simple, until throws and supers bring the button count up to eight. I don't like have to reach that far across my stick that often. I feel like that layout would work pretty well on a pad with 6 face buttons and shoulders though. Like the MadCatz SFIV pads (or a Saturn controller).

Specials:

The rules for specials seem kinda flimsy. At first glace you you'd think that Special 1 is the short cooldown bnb move that can be used in the air, Special 2 is the reversal and Special 3 is unique to each character (special trait, big combo move, etc). Four out of six characters follow this format, make the two that don't feel odd. Talos feels like his 3 and 1 should switch places. I don't mind moving away from this pattern, but when the majority of the cast uses it it makes the transition from character to character a little more rough.

UI:

Super bar is up where you'd expect guard gauge or stun to go. You can see your opponents super but you can't see their special cooldowns or Kinetic Energy. Special cooldowns are pretty easy to nail down, but the decision to not let me see my opponent's Kinetic meter seems odd.

Far/Close Normals:

After Street Fighter V's effort to move away from close normals, it feels strange that Rising Thunder chooses to bring them back in such a strong fashion. Most normals have a far/close version, many have a "second or third hit only" version and the rules for what is "close" and what is "far" seem blurrier than SFIV.

Air Command Normals:

Every character has a air command normal that acts as their cross-up executed with down and heavy. The hit boxes are amazing, you have little reason not to use it every time your opponents AA special is down. When everyone has Iori's air back+B, no one's feels special.

Edge's Throw:

Getting hit by Edge's throw involves an unwelcome amount of time were neither character can do anything before damage takes place. The first portion of the animation has zero impact, so I often found myself asking whether I was getting thrown or the game was lagging.

And now for my major issues.

Stun:

In a game geared towards beginners, why are we still featuring a mechanic that benefits the character that is already doing everything right and is already getting rewarded for it? Damage is the reward you reap from dominating your opponent, stun feels like demoralization in any game where you can't keep track of it. Give me a stun gauge or get rid of stun.

Links:

I don't like links. This is no big secret. I don't like them because I primarily play games online. It sucks to be able to nail a link 10 times out of 10 in training mode and then go online and drop them in that environment. Links are a) not newbie friendly and b) not online friendly. Rising Thunder was "built from the ground up for online play" so I'm not sure why they exist. The game does have a larger input window, ala SFV's links, but I didn't want to see them here. They're a big deal for some characters too. Edge for example gets a lot of mileage out of links. Link in SFV? Sure, the game is meant to be played offline as well. But in a game where the online component is the primary (and currently only) method of play, links seems out of place.

Long story short? I thought I was playing a "back to basics" fighting game created to entice a new audience to fighting games. What I got was another game of poorly explained mechanics that will ultimately alienate the new audience I thought the game sought, but with more buttons that do less.

Some of those issues would be alleviated by a tutorial, but others are design choices that I just don't enjoy.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    are you sure about the command crossups having amazing hitboxes? i'm pretty sure vlad's splash doesn't hit in the front at all

• Options
    I think they were banking on the netcode being so good that links would work out, and give the vets something fun to find and play with.

However I also did not expect the game to have links, my first few minutes in training mode were, "Why isn't the magic series working?!"

• Options
    edited July 2015
    P10 wrote: »
    are you sure about the command crossups having amazing hitboxes? i'm pretty sure vlad's splash doesn't hit in the front at all

Most don't hit the front all that well (or at all), much like Iori's j.b+B in KOF. The backward hit box is insane. And they're super duper fast.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Been raising some thunder, and my first experience ever fighting other people is going pretty well! I was always too paralyzed with fear to jump into online with other games, but this game is stressing me out less for some reason. I've been punching it up with Dauntless, and it always feels great to learn some new techniques on the fly.

• Options
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    You know what a new fighting game means...the salt is REEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAL

EDIT: Well, the video won't inline for some reason. But, uh, trust me. People are mad about Chel.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Would you say they're... mad as Chel?

• Options
    I'm so sorry.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular