Options

We didn't eat dogs back in the [Mad Max] thread

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Even with a revving engine the underdune still manages to be creepy, a well designed area.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I've got enough parts to complete a couple of projects at Jeet's stronghold, but nothing is happening. Do I need to complete more story missions before these become available? My next mission is Wasteland Classic.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I've got enough parts to complete a couple of projects at Jeet's stronghold, but nothing is happening. Do I need to complete more story missions before these become available? My next mission is Wasteland Classic.

You have to go to the stronghold itself and find the space in the stronghold that houses that project and then actually build it.

• Options
    I have. There's nothing there.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Probably more story missions then, I would guess.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    So far the only thing that's bugged me about this game is the bad attempt at nihilism or whatever they're going for whenever Max comments on one of the history relics.

We get it, dude, world got jacked up. Go shoot harpoons at things.

I grew to hate that. The first couple of times, yeah, it's the world they're in and all that, but he seems to almost relish the opportunity to put down how everything wasn't shitty back then.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I dunno it seemed in character. Max is not a happy guy, him seeing pictures of the past would not exactly make his heart swell. There was also one that seemed that he didn't understand the quote on the back of the picture.

Picture is of meat, quote is totally about how a dude butchered his spouse to feed himself and his buddy and max complains about the meat being wasted.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Max is damn near monosyllabic though, at least in Fury Road. Other than losing his family and being kind of crazy on top of it, he never struck me as someone who would wax poetic about what once was. He's basically instinct-based. All that shit doesn't jive with the raw dog kill-everyone-to-survive mentality of the gameplay as well.

Some video game writer went a little overboard with the number of nihilistic, somberly-delivered lines about the beautiful past.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Eh you can't have a mute character like Max in the movie was. Game Max also still has parts of his humanity, its only after the events of the game does he become Fury Road max.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I was thinking about going back to see Road Warrior because the only Mad Mad I have seen is Fury Road, but I am so enamored with Tom Hardy's performance that I almost don't want to see Gibson's performance in the role.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

You scouted The Jaw, right? Go get Chum's buggy for the side mission. Should do it I think.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

You scouted The Jaw, right? Go get Chum's buggy for the side mission. Should do it I think.

Scouted the Jaw. Where is Chum's buggy? I can't get back into his tanker hideout.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Its a side missin he'll give you at Jeet's. Counts as a project once you bring the buggy back and build a bed for the dog. I think this unlocks a convo with Jeet that opens up projects.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    A strange thing happened to me last night. The in-game map stopped working. No amount of map-button mashing would bring it up, and a restart of the system didn't help either.
    Googling the problem, most people with a similar issue said it cleared up after they changed map territories or got a new story mission, so I headed off into the wastes, striking east from Gutgash's stronghold. Changing territories did nothing to help my map reappear, so I pushed further north, past The Jaw, pillaging and destroying as I went, wandering vaguely in the direction of the green indicator on the minimap.

Along the way I realized I was enjoying not having a map. Having to make my way around blindly lead a certain desperation to things that felt totally right for the game, and let me get into whatever mischief crossed my path without hesitation. It was really fun.
    I got into vehicular brawls that ranged over miles of open desert. I busted into some poor bastards' meager shelters and murdered them all for a handful of scrap. I got hopelessly lost in a sandstorm and almost died wandering in search of shelter.
    Really, I did all the stuff I usually do with a map, but without the laundry list of icons to bother with it was all in the spirit of exploration and adventure instead of list-filling, and without access to fast travel or knowing which direction the strongholds were, it felt a lot less safe. I think I'll ignore the map more often.

Oh, and at some point the thing just started working again, too. No mission changes, no territory shift, just... as suddenly fixed as it was broken. <shrug> PC gaming, y'all.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Got hit with the same bug, looting a scavenging site fixed it. At a guess anything that would update an icon on the world map ought to fix it.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Its a side missin he'll give you at Jeet's. Counts as a project once you bring the buggy back and build a bed for the dog. I think this unlocks a convo with Jeet that opens up projects.

Guess I'll do a story mission or two and see what happens. Or wander the wasteland so more. :P

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    BonaventureBonaventure Registered User regular
    Bought it during the last of the great GreenManGaming.com sale, finally got a kid-free chance to play. It's great fun.

The only thing I'm not enjoying is scouring the strongholds for scrap. It slows down the action, and enough spinning-around-in-circles with the chase camera makes me queasy. But I'm having a great time. I don't even understand the complaints about the early-game driving. I was prepared for a super-frustrating time, but it just feels great. What did people expect from driving a shitty post-apocalyptic Mustang across a shitty post-apocalyptic desert? Traction?

Chumbucket is way more entertaining than he has any right to be. With the exact same script, that character could've ruined the game. Thank the Angel Combustion for great voice actors! And the harpoon is just stupid fun. I can't wait until I upgrade it further. I want to harpoon all the things. And I will.

I had given up all hope that anyone would make a good Mad Max game in my lifetime. Maybe in thirty years, someone will make a good Firefly game? I guess it's more likely that we'll be living in Mad Max by that time. Better start saving my scrap now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm glad I don't feel at all compelled to 100% the game and thus can easily skip over things like trying to dredge up scrap piles or historical artifacts.

I'm in the wasteland to chew lizard and kick ass, and I'm all out of lizard.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    I'm glad I don't feel at all compelled to 100% the game and thus can easily skip over things like trying to dredge up scrap piles or historical artifacts.

I'm in the wasteland to chew lizard and kick ass, and I'm all out of lizard.

I've been trying to kick the habit myself...so tired of looking for that last bit of damn scrap

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I generally picked up scrap as I found it, but I didn't really go out of my way to get it all.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Suddenly,the game just won't start,and I have to reset my computer. Let's see what happens in the morning.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Finished clearing out Gutgash's territory and it only took me from 46% to 48% completion. I wonder if story missions count for more. I'm not actually sure what goes into it. Do races? Scavenging sites?

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I was thinking about going back to see Road Warrior because the only Mad Mad I have seen is Fury Road, but I am so enamored with Tom Hardy's performance that I almost don't want to see Gibson's performance in the role.

Since The Road Warrior is one of my favorite movies of all time, my reflexive response is to highly suggest you see it as soon as possible.

Gibson's performance is one of the few things that won't seem a bit dated compared to Fury Road, though. I like his performance better than Hardy's, but then again Gibson is given a bit more dialogue and character interaction scenes.

I'm realizing that The Road Warrior might actually seem darker and more "realistic" for someone who's only seen Fury Road, which is ironic since for the past few decades The Road Warrior has been a prime example of an action movie I'd describe as "cartoonish and over the top" (in a good way!). I guess George Miller spent those same few decades thinking "Oh, let me show you what 'cartoonish and over the top' means, my friends".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Finished clearing out Gutgash's territory and it only took me from 46% to 48% completion. I wonder if story missions count for more. I'm not actually sure what goes into it. Do races? Scavenging sites?

Different regions have different amounts of stuff in them.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    My nieces first birthday today and for the first time in years I'm at a restaurant. Fucking torturous but worth it.

I have a remedy for anxiety though. Next poster gets a gift.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Welcome to Unclehood! I suspect you'll be spending many times in the next 18 years doing torturous things that will be worth it.

• Options
    I used to have bad social anxiety too so I can understand that stress. Glad you're out and about, Isy!

I am one of those people with the need to pick up everything shiny in the entire game, so I haven't completed act 3 yet, but Max is fully leveled up, the car is fully leveled up (except for the whole not-having-a-V8 thing, Jeet's territory is clear, the Dump is clear, and the other two territories are well on their way.

I also got killed last night in a dust storm when a piece of sheet metal hit me in the head.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Well that went on the wrong thread lol. But I am a man of my word.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Well that went on the wrong thread lol. But I am a man of my word.

I hope dog wasn't on the menu.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    I just wanna point out that @Big Classy is fucking awesome. I'd been holding off getting Mad Max because I'm between jobs and doing what I can to ensure I can be between jobs even longer. And because of him I can. Huge thank you :)

• Options
    For anyone else that was wondering, projects at Jeet's stronghold don't pop up until after the Wasteland Classic mission.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    LOL, the game just told me about using balloons as vantage points. I've only done five of them so far.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    First car battle I get into. My car isn't upgraded at all, and the other car is faster than I am. I did manage to put him on the run so I'm chasing him, but I'm having to ride the boost just to keep up. Racing across the desert I occasionally get a ram in, but every time I do he pulls far ahead and I have to catch up again. At this point, I'm doing almost no damage and it's just a matter of time before he finds some backup or I loose him.

As I'm catching up again, he ducks into a canyon. I manage to ram him, but this time he isn't able to recover before he rides up the side of the canyon and then becomes airborne in a loop that ends with him crashing to the canyon floor in a brilliant fireball.

Collect the scrap, peel out, and head out to find this Jeet character.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I feel like this game could use some better camera control. Got into a tethered car battle with someone, only to accidentally drive off a cliff.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Okay so...I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I got the parts to build the Jack, built it, and then it said story stuff was locked out?

Should I just move into new territories and start knocking off camps and scarecrows again?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Okay so...I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I got the parts to build the Jack, built it, and then it said story stuff was locked out?

Should I just move into new territories and start knocking off camps and scarecrows again?

The thing you do after building the Jack is going to GutGash's stronghold. And then you can reequip all the good upgrades again.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The thing you do after building the Jack is going to GutGash's stronghold. And then you can reequip all the good upgrades again.

Makes sense. It is a bit odd that my car is better than the one they require me to have for story purposes cause my other car is too shitty.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    All the legendary cars (or whatever they're called) are kind of crap. I never found a good reason to use them.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I kinda just want my damn Rockstar Energy Car.

edit: Also I was reading a thing about how for a car named the Magnum Opus, there really is no "peak" for the car because some parts will like, make you slower but raise your handling, or vice versa. So it's a game of tradeoffs?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I kinda just want my damn Rockstar Energy Car.

edit: Also I was reading a thing about how for a car named the Magnum Opus, there really is no "peak" for the car because some parts will like, make you slower but raise your handling, or vice versa. So it's a game of tradeoffs?
    The car is Chumbucket's Magnus Opus. It's extremely configurable.

Yeah, there's tradeoffs. Rams and armor reduces the car's acceleration, which can be offset by a bigger engine - but bigger engines reduce handling. You also have to pick between good overall tires, or tires specialized for asphalt or sand.

I think everything else is just straight bonus, get the best you can.

Oh, except paint. Red paint is best.

jdarksun on