Options

We didn't eat dogs back in the [Mad Max] thread

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    How do you do the stronghold projects? Do I need to advance the story some? I've just been tooling around the wasteland since arriving at Jeet's.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    If you hold e on their silhouette it will track the parts you need on the map.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    You find project parts in some camps and scavenging locations.

• Options
    I have parts, and it says return to stronghold for one of them, but i cant do anything there.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I have parts, and it says return to stronghold for one of them, but i cant do anything there.
    You have to find where the project is and activate it.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The one you have the parts for will be brighter. There should really just be a menu. It's a pain to run around looking for the right one.

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    But see that's bullshit. Reviewers are supposed to be reviewing games for the audience to know if we should buy them. If you say they are looking for something else than the people they are reviewing for that's so retarded it makes sense.

This is an old argument about whether reviewers are reviewing something to tell an audience what they'll like or whether they're just giving their personal take on it.
    Reviewers will always be looking for something different because gamers do not play as many different games in as short a time as reviewers. We, the audience, will not usually play 20-30 different games in the same year. We won't play every variation on a game that uses open world mechanics or arkham style combat mechanics. We won't get as worn down by the use of the same mechanics over and over again either.
    I really think that reviewers look at open world mechanics as a barrier to their job too. They want to get far enough into the game to give a review of the thing as a whole, but gamers want to live in the world for as long as possible and still feel like they're having an impact.

Reviewers are just never going to give you an accurate picture of whether or not you'll want to play something. You might think a reviewer gives good reviews or that they align with you most of the time, but they really can't accurately dictate to you what you'll like.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I rented this yesterday just to see if I would dig it and yo

I totally dug it

I already brought it back to the Redbox because I knew I wanted to save the meat of the game for when I finally purchase it, but yeah, speaking for right now, I'm very impressed

I also liked that there was a big indicator that said "AREA 100% LOOTED" when I finished grabbing stuff in places, I'd like that kind of continual supporting messaging brought into something like Just Cause 3 (which I'm sure will have a shit-ton to do, if 2 was any indication)

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I've done every ground combat challenge except 25 gutshots and kill 8 guys in fury mode... and maybe half of the car combat challenges? lol.

One thing to note is for scavenging locations, if you leave one of the pieces of scrap and drive away, the enemies will respawn when you return. It made doing the defeat 15 enemies in melee combat w/o getting hit challenge a lot easier since I could just keep clearing pack of 4. I think I'm going to just get the gutshot one naturally.

edit: Just realized that I didn't save or get a checkpoint when I completed some of the vehicle ones... whoops. :U

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    unfortunately i cleared all the locations doing the achievement before i realised about the challenge achievement, hopefully they'll put in a way to reset bases and convoys eventually

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    How many acts/chapters are in this game?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    There's 5 acts in the game, Ceno.

Ah. Not much can be done then. Reminds me of Tomb Raider, but I had to NG to do the conversation achievement anyway. A reset would have been neat. And I don't think there's been any mention of DLC for this game to give you a new area to work on or a reset... but who knows?

edit: another thing to note is, unless the challenge says "while moving" you can defeat empty vehicles for credit toward them. This makes things like the t-bones and stuff a lot simpler.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    My one major gripe about the game was settled with the fact that I got it brand-new for under forty bucks. The combat is decent but could be better. The scenery is incredibly gorgeous but there should be more variety in activities. The setting is awesome, but the story isn't particularly gripping.

It's not a perfect game by any means, but unless somebody has a distaste for this specific variety of game, I would say it's very much a good game, much better than the horribly unforgiving reviews handed out for it by game critics. I'd say they played a different game then me, but we all know by now that official reviews of games are mostly garbage anyway, so no big deal to me.

I also wouldn't blink if somebody said they didn't really like the game at all, because there's definitely things here that could be dealbreakers and might not have anything to do with quality.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    When they first started showing previews for this game, I thought it looked really good, but it was early and I didn't want to get my hopes too high for what was essentially a movie tie-in game. As it got closer to release date, I'd decided that if all it turned out to be was Shadow of Mordor with a cool car, then I'd be happy. And you know what? I would have been. That would have been great. Now, I'm only about ten hours or so into it, but so far this is everything I was hoping it could be from first seeing the previews. Here's some of my thoughts so far...
    • For those that were wondering if Max can fall off a cliff; yes. Yes, he can, as I discovered approximately 10 seconds after starting playing. I was used to Shadow of Mordor holding my hand by having Talion stop and peer over an edge unless being made to jump. Mad Max doesn't do much hand-holding. It pointed me towards the first stronghold and said, "get to it."
    • Chumbucket. From the previews, I expected him to be some sort of renegade War Boy, a la Nux. I never thought it would be Robin Williams at his most manic. I haven't seen the voice cast for this, but his VA is doing a great job. It was a shrewd move to have Chum do most of the exposition while Max hardly has anything to say.
    • I'm an awful driver. I'm sure it's because I've got a lot of leveling up to do, and not in any way a reflection of my actual skills.
    • As I expected, I immediately began to ignore story missions and set off to explore the wasteland. Also, I'm a scrap-addict.
    • If you're ever confused about which side of the Magnum Opus to enter (and don't want to made fun of by a certain sidekick), Chumbucket always sits on the same side of the car as the steering wheel.
    • I'm very concerned about the fate of this dog. :(

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    I found out my Stronghold Projects problem. You have to finish the "scout the Jaw" mission (And possibly the Dinki-Di Chumbucket sidemission after that) to unlock the projects in the game.

I recommend doing that, Thor, before ignoring the story. Those stronghold perks are nifty. Free ammo, water, fuel, automatic scrap pickup from enemy cars(!), etc.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    "Scout the Jaw" was the last thing I did last night, Skull. I did most of my running around before going to Jeet's.

I already have about half the items for those projects. :P

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Ah. I dropped the story as soon as I made it to Jeet's ;P

• Options
    My next story mission takes me to Gastown, so I thought was near the end of the game until I looked at my achievements and realized I've only completed 2 of 5 chapters. I've dumped so much time into this game already, it's crazy.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    To be fair I believe one of the chapters is specifically a mission.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    My next story mission takes me to Gastown, so I thought was near the end of the game until I looked at my achievements and realized I've only completed 2 of 5 chapters. I've dumped so much time into this game already, it's crazy.

Yeah it's weird like that (I'm in the same boat). At this point I've built up the strongholds a bit and they're a lot less ramshackle with all the DRAPES and some have even added better housing (why they didn't do this first is beyond me) and they're like "thanks Max!"

But the story for Max seems like it ends once you get the v8 in Gastown, I mean, sure... it doesn't (as there are 2 acts afterward), but Max is just a tool to others ends. I'm guessing..
    Helping Hope/Grace will make up the latter portion of the game. Along with finishing building up the strongholds to be independent nations even though Pink Eye pretty much sent all her young ones to die and I shot one of them in the face too.

Can you walk away from the mercy kill requests?

• Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    So, this game was totally playable for me up until two days ago when my performance dipped sharply and for no discernible reason. I'm definitely playing on an aging PC but what I don't understand is how my performance could have gone from playable to seemingly operating at half speed. Did a patch get pushed out or something that I didn't notice?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    There was a patch on PC a day or so ago, yeah. Not sure why that'd do it though.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Yeah it's weird like that (I'm in the same boat). At this point I've built up the strongholds a bit and they're a lot less ramshackle with all the DRAPES and some have even added better housing (why they didn't do this first is beyond me) and they're like "thanks Max!"

But the story for Max seems like it ends once you get the v8 in Gastown, I mean, sure... it doesn't (as there are 2 acts afterward), but Max is just a tool to others ends. I'm guessing..
    Helping Hope/Grace will make up the latter portion of the game. Along with finishing building up the strongholds to be independent nations even though Pink Eye pretty much sent all her young ones to die and I shot one of them in the face too.

Can you walk away from the mercy kill requests?

You can walk away from mercy kills, why would you though? Max pretty much believes killing people is nicer than letting them live.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    So, this game was totally playable for me up until two days ago when my performance dipped sharply and for no discernible reason. I'm definitely playing on an aging PC but what I don't understand is how my performance could have gone from playable to seemingly operating at half speed. Did a patch get pushed out or something that I didn't notice?

Are you in Pink Eye's territory? For whatever reason, whenever I cross that border, my performance crashes.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    In certain areas, especially cave interiors and big open spaces, I've noticed some slowdown, too. This game also doesn't like being alt-tabbed at all.
    I am running it below the minimum hardware spec, though, so... <shrug> It's still very playable, just a little slow-mo in spots.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    God damnit it's saying I haven't gotten the relic from pink eyes strong hold, even tho I've done the tires mission thing, I have that photo, and she has no more missions to give me.

Does anyone know what it is? I'm missing the relic next to the blue water bottle and the group of protestors with a sign, and underneath the mad max buddy tour relic. It's number 52 I think if you're counting left to right

I even revisited the gas station from the mission but can't find anything, unless it's in the back of a truck with a red x, as I can no longer use the harpoon to interact or open that for some reason

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Prohass wrote: »
    God damnit it's saying I haven't gotten the relic from pink eyes strong hold, even tho I've done the tires mission thing, I have that photo, and she has no more missions to give me.

Does anyone know what it is? I'm missing the relic next to the blue water bottle and the group of protestors with a sign, and underneath the mad max buddy tour relic. It's number 52 I think if you're counting left to right

I even revisited the gas station from the mission but can't find anything, unless it's in the back of a truck with a red x, as I can no longer use the harpoon to interact or open that for some reason

There's a relic on the top/upper level somewhere. I forgot the exact location but you have to run along and it's like deadendish. the perimeter levels iirc.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get Mad Max to boot to the title screen? It's not Batman/Shadow of Mordor levels of bad with the splash screens, but it's slower than I'd like.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to get Mad Max to boot to the title screen? It's not Batman/Shadow of Mordor levels of bad with the splash screens, but it's slower than I'd like.

Nope! I looked.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Nope! I looked.

Hmm, I'll give it another couple of days before somebody does it

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    http://www.vice.com/read/lines-in-the-sand-documenting-the-barren-but-beautiful-world-of-mad-max-020

A writer for Vice finds much to appreciate about the game while recognizing its flaws. Worth a read. He's good with photo mode too.

• Options
    edited September 2015

There's a relic on the top/upper level somewhere. I forgot the exact location but you have to run along and it's like deadendish. the perimeter levels iirc.

Yes! I found it! Thanks for this, it. Has no damn icon I forgot about that, thanks!

Unfortunately, cos I'm in an idiot, it wasn't actually the one I was missing, I'm now on 99% of it, the number 52 relic is still the one I'm missing, hmm

I've checked every stronghold, and every camp and loot place has been looted. Yay. I'm guessing there's some history relic that's maybe missable or something?

Prohass on
  • Options
    Wow.

This game got unexpectedly moody and tense.
    The Underdunes were awesome. That crashed plane was so eerie.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    For all the games flaws, the Wasteland is not one of them.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular

Yes! I found it! Thanks for this, it. Has no damn icon I forgot about that, thanks!

Unfortunately, cos I'm in an idiot, it wasn't actually the one I was missing, I'm now on 99% of it, the number 52 relic is still the one I'm missing, hmm

I've checked every stronghold, and every camp and loot place has been looted. Yay. I'm guessing there's some history relic that's maybe missable or something?

I think the one you're looking for is at one of the balloon locations. Want to say it's in the south of Pink Eye's territory, think it's the same one I missed, but I forget exactly which balloon site it was, sorry.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    "Look behind you, at dune after dune of drifting half-forgotten terrors. You flee them, these past phantoms and the madness that crawls inside. Griffa can help you venture down to where you daren't go yourself and lay bare your true promise!"

The developers missed a real opportunity by not having Griffa voiced by Bruce Spence (the Gyro Captain in Road Warrior).

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    LJDouglas wrote: »

I think the one you're looking for is at one of the balloon locations. Want to say it's in the south of Pink Eye's territory, think it's the same one I missed, but I forget exactly which balloon site it was, sorry.

finally! After visiting a few balloon sites I found it. Thanks so much!

Prohass on
  • Options
    So far the only thing that's bugged me about this game is the bad attempt at nihilism or whatever they're going for whenever Max comments on one of the history relics.

We get it, dude, world got jacked up. Go shoot harpoons at things.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I bought this today because I'm impatient

Taken King is sucking up my time at the moment but I'll likely dig into it over the weekend