The Unrated, Extended Cut [movies] thread (with Alternate Ending)

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Seriously Astaereth, I may never have loved you more then when I found out you felt about Gilliam how I did. I've always felt like the guy's stuff gets near universal praise and I've always been rather lukewarm at best on his touch.

iguanacus wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    I haven't even seen The Fisher King

what part of "fuck Terry Gilliam and the quirky, overdesigned horse he rode in on" do you not understand

If it helps, he didn't write it, just directed.

That might be worse actually. He might be ruining a good script.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    All this disparagement of Gilliam is utter madness

However, according to Gilliam, madness is good so,

I guess everything worked out

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Seriously Astaereth, I may never have loved you more then when I found out you felt about Gilliam how I did. I've always felt like the guy's stuff gets near universal praise and I've always been rather lukewarm at best on his touch.

iguanacus wrote: »
    I haven't even seen The Fisher King

what part of "fuck Terry Gilliam and the quirky, overdesigned horse he rode in on" do you not understand

If it helps, he didn't write it, just directed.

That might be worse actually. He might be ruining a good script.

It's worse for me, definitely, because it's the direction of his films that I object to more than anything. Maybe I'd be willing to endure that direction if the script was really good, but "movies I might be able to endure" tend not to rank high on my very long list of films to watch.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don't know how people here feel about Dances With Wolves but I really like about 90% of it. I feel like it gets unfairly maligned as a "white savior" film, when it really isn't. Dunbar isn't a savior, he's a man stuck out on the prairie with no relief in sight. In every interaction he has with the Lakota, he's clearly out of his depth. Eventually he realizes his best chance for survival is to join up with them.

The 10% I don't really like is "oh look there's a white lady who's part of the tribe, gee I wonder if she'll end up with Dunbar." I can almost forgive it because they use it as a way to teach him the Lakota language, except...she learned it on her own, why couldnt he?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Also robin williams acting.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Also robin williams acting.

But he can actually act!

Patch Adams is a terrible film, don't judge him on that. Fisher King or Insomnia, now there are some good examples of dramatic acting from him.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I didn't really enjoy Fisher King (I didn't even know it was a Terry Gilliam film until now) but Williams was good in it.

In his long career it's very unreasonable to expect him to be always good all the time, he's had some tepid performances. But mostly they were very good. He does crazy/unhinged quite well, and that's what he is in it - a person who is crazy and damaged (but not irretrievably so, so that's nice for a change I guess).

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Terry Gilliam made Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, so I'm willing to let him fuck around all he likes. He's aces in my books.

And Parnassus was interesting, and Twelve Monkeys had a good atmosphere. I think he's pretty okay.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I watched World War Z yesterday, mainly out of curiosity. There's definite potential there, there are a lot of scenes where you can see how they could be highly effective - but it's such a flat script, the characters are bland and the string of setpieces doesn't add up to anything... and that's before even getting started on the script stupidities and the PG-13 bloodlessness (in a couple of scenes you can just about see how this could be pulled off without much blood, but by and large the film entirely undercuts its horror by making it unbelievably clinical). Then again, Peter Capaldi's in it and he doesn't die, so there's always that. And he plays a WHO Doctor.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    World War Z would probably be better received if it was severed from its source material entirely.

It would still be deeply flawed. Readers of the book may hate it because it pretty much ignores the source material, but reviewers by and large didn't know much about the book.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    @Astaereth

Let me clarify

Tyler Stout's Mondo work, which seems to be very popular in some circles, is an offense to the eyes.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    To clarify, I meant Williams was actually acting, not clowning. I agree he did an excellent job in Fisher King; I like the movie as well.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Terry Gilliam made Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, so I'm willing to let him fuck around all he likes. He's aces in my books.

And Parnassus was interesting, and Twelve Monkeys had a good atmosphere. I think he's pretty okay.

It's certainly not a poor casting choice to have Tom Waits play the devil.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I can't believe they turned (at least according to the trailer) A Walk In The Woods into a stupid slapstick comedy. I mean really that book is almost unadaptable to movie form, but it just seems embarrassing for everyone involved. Though I guess Bill Bryson is probably happy that he's getting portrayed by Robert Redford, even if he is way too old for how old Bryson is and was when he wrote it.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    It would still be deeply flawed. Readers of the book may hate it because it pretty much ignores the source material, but reviewers by and large didn't know much about the book.

Yeah, I don't know shit about the book and WWZ was still just ... kinda there.

It's alot of fine scenes and shit that don't go anywhere and don't add up to anything.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I can't believe they turned (at least according to the trailer) A Walk In The Woods into a stupid slapstick comedy. I mean really that book is almost unadaptable to movie form, but it just seems embarrassing for everyone involved. Though I guess Bill Bryson is probably happy that he's getting portrayed by Robert Redford, even if he is way too old for how old Bryson is and was when he wrote it.

I didn't read the book, but I did read a lot of reviews that say if you did and you liked it, you're going to hate the film.

Weirdly, this is a passion picture for Redford and he's been trying to make it for a while, and from the final product of this no one can really figure out why.

shryke wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

Yeah, I don't know shit about the book and WWZ was still just ... kinda there.

It's alot of fine scenes and shit that don't go anywhere and don't add up to anything.
    If they'd tied it up with stronger characters, the setpieces could've been highly effective. As it is, though, it feels a bit like Call of Duty: World War Z in how it puts locations and setpieces together - except if you're not the one playing, it's not particularly engaging.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I kinda loathed the last part of WWZ at the WHO.
    Their plane crashes... Brad Pitt and the awesome Israeli lady are the only two survivors, apparently. That's a dumb coincidence, especially considering they got to where they were going without further incident. Why not have the plane land and then have some sort of outbreak to provide tension as they make their way to the WHO?

Then Brad Pitt gets stuck in the disease room by one fucking zed. They already established that the zeds are easily distracted with noise. There was a phone right behind the zombie. All the HQ staff had to do was fucking call that phone. The zed turns around, Brad Pitt just slips right past him. No need to inject himself with a random fatal disease. Honestly, if they wanted to use that plot hook, they needed to set it up better... but, then again, by all accounts the shoot was famously fraught with fuckups, so I suppose they had to work with what they had.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Their plane crashes... Brad Pitt and the awesome Israeli lady are the only two survivors, apparently. That's a dumb coincidence, especially considering they got to where they were going without further incident. Why not have the plane land and then have some sort of outbreak to provide tension as they make their way to the WHO?

Then Brad Pitt gets stuck in the disease room by one fucking zed. They already established that the zeds are easily distracted with noise. There was a phone right behind the zombie. All the HQ staff had to do was fucking call that phone. The zed turns around, Brad Pitt just slips right past him. No need to inject himself with a random fatal disease. Honestly, if they wanted to use that plot hook, they needed to set it up better... but, then again, by all accounts the shoot was famously fraught with fuckups, so I suppose they had to work with what they had.

Regarding that ending, it was apparently written and shot in a few weeks, which is unfathomably fast for a production.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. So about halfway through this movie, I'm thinking "This is actually a pretty competent spy thriller. I wonder why it gets so much shit." Then I saw the rest of the movie. It actually has a pretty interesting premise. You've got Jack Ryan as a green recruit, just being "activated" as a field agent, meanwhile he has to deal with the personal repercussions of this, namely his girlfriend who doesn't know he's CIA, let alone a field agent. There's actually a good scene right after Jack kills some assassin sent after him. He's all shaken and can't quite remember what protocol is. Kevin Costner kind of calms him down, and then he returns to an eerily perfect hotel room where hours earlier he drowned a dude. It's a good scene. Then not long after that his girlfriend shows up. So now you've got a perfect setup for the green agent in way over his head, both personally and professionally, finding his way.

Then the movie proceeds to ignore all that and Jack Ryan just becomes badass super-agent. No more doubting himself, no more trouble with the girlfriend (who quickly becomes ok with all this and also gets kidnapped and then quickly saved in the movie's dumbest sequence). It's a movie that starts out intriguing but ends up being just as dumb as any B spy thriller. It's a shame.

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Regarding that ending, it was apparently written and shot in a few weeks, which is unfathomably fast for a production.

the whole production of that movie was a complete disaster

its a miracle it even came out

• Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    @Aistan I can agree with it not being a good adaptation of the book, (which I just started reading again after seeing it Tuesday) but as I remember more and more of what's in the book, they pretty much adapted everything that is adaptable. The problem with the movie is that the events the book covers never really build up to
    any huge climax or anything, it's Bill and Katz doing chunks of the trail, re-connecting, dealing with random shit, then deciding "fuck it, we've got pretty good lives to get back to, this is accomplishment enough for us." Even with the scene they made up for the movie where they come to this realization (which seems like an afterthought, as almost all of it seems to be pretty obvious green screen and the rest of the movie is at least in the real forest somewhere), there's no real danger or "this is too much for us, time to bail" moment, they've both just proved what they wanted to or gotten what they wanted out of the trip, and decide to be done. A large chunk of the book is history of the trail or information about the area they're going through/local wildlife, which Redford semi-lectures on at a few points, but how much of that would people tolerate in what is basically being sold as a buddy movie? My only real problem was that, even though the acting of each was fine and they seemed to have pretty good chemistry as long-seperated friends, Redford and Nolte just sound like they're acting in two different movies based on the quality of their voices. Redford still has that strong, all-American, friendly baritone deal going and Nolte is, even during scenes where he's resting and happy, apparently about to keel over and die or choke on all the gravel that he seems to have accidentally swallowed. Love the book , enjoyed the movie/will buy when it comes out, and will probably double-feature it with Sideways for a good "mid-life dude bonding/self-reflection in settings you probably wouldn't normally choose" movie night, which is an insanely specific genre that I just now invented but desperately want a third movie to add to. Up in the Air, possibly?

@Atomika I recall reading that Redford was just a huge fan of the book, and is something of an environmentalist, I think? A big recurring theme in the book is "Hardly anyone ever does this, it's one of if not the biggest undertakings of its kind in the country, and depending on how the next 50 years go, it may all be gone and a couple hundred people will ever remember it existed, shame on us.". It was also originally meant to be a (unfortunately) final on-screen reunion for Redford and Paul Newman (who doesn't remotely fit the description of his companion in the book, but Butch and Sundance together again screwing around in the woods would have certainly put asses in seats), until Newman died. They scrambled around for a replacement, lucked upon Nolte who is probably in worse shape in real life than the character in the book was, and eventually got everything together to finally make it after like a decade of delays. I enjoyed the movie for what it did/could adapt, and I've read the book several times, usually on vacation over the summer. If you enjoy the outdoors at all, the book will make you want to plan out a hike on the Appalachian trail immediately, then just as quickly change your mind when you look into it (I've personally decided to do as much of it as possible before I hit 40, and that keeps mysteriously being pushed back...). Just about any Bryson book would make, say, a great Ken Burns mini-documentary, but this kind of shows why they wouldn't work as a regular film, even with their relative abundance of hilarious incidents in each.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

the whole production of that movie was a complete disaster

its a miracle it even came out

Ouch.
    In December 2008, Straczynski said, he turned in another draft of World War Z, pumping up the action to make it more palatable to Forster. Apparently, it didn’t stand a chance. “They slammed the door so hard in my face it came off the hinges,” said Stra czynski.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/06/brad-pitt-world-war-z-drama

The movie had only begun filming and...the script’s ending was still unresolved. “Brad was saying, ‘You have to figure out the third act,’ ”
    Sometimes I wonder if Hollywood is maybe run by monkeys. I mean I don't understand why films are rushed into production before the scripts are even finished.

Here, I've made a chart for any Hollywood executives that might be reading:

Is this script for your movie finished and of high quality?
    -yes: go ahead make the movie
    -no: do not make the movie yet

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I remember hearing they were already shooting and HADN'T EVEN NAILED DOWN THE ZOMBIE DESIGNS YET

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Survivor, one of those perfectly adequate Netflix watches, nothing more. Not bad, not good, but a decent timekiller.

Milla Jovovich is head of security at the US Embassy in London, notices fishy stuff going on with the Visa application processes for a few people. When she and the group of visa employees go out to a birthday party dinner, place blows up, killing everyone but her, and Pierce Brosnan is trying to kill her because no loose ends. Along the way she gets help from Dylan McDermott and an old lady who is basically old Chloe, while trying to avoid the jerkstore british security guy and the US ambassador.

The story is your usual chase thriller, with predictable movie bad guy and motivation that is common these days (hint, it's in the east. and european.), but it's all told competently. Brosnan shows again he's really good in this old CIA/Assassin motif just like Liam Neeson is, Jovovich isn't completely made to be lady buttkicker strong independent woman Destiny Child but capable and believable in her actions with a believable backstory given her age, and McDermott is the loyal embassy bigshot who believe Jovovich when no one else does.

The faults of the movie come in predictable villain, Brosnan's motivation sort of devolved into mustache twirling, and the US ambassador (Angela Bassett) tries to come across like she's on the ball and all this proactive BS when in reality ambassador gigs to places like the UK and Japan are the easiest, safest places, which is why they usually go to big time fundraisers and friends of the President, and that's one of those known things that it would have made the interactions much more original instead of "OMG the ambassador is on the hunt for Jovovich, this is super serial you guys!"

In all you have a movie that should have been 15 minutes shorter, some tighter editing, but it's not as bad as 8% on rotten tomatoes. It never tries to be anything original or clever, it has a job and does is good enough. In many ways it sort of feels like a mini-24 (and some of the locations look like they were used from Live Another Day), and is worth a netflix watch over the long weekend if you're bored.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    wandering wrote: »
    The movie had only begun filming and...the script’s ending was still unresolved. “Brad was saying, ‘You have to figure out the third act,’ ”
    Sometimes I wonder if Hollywood is maybe run by monkeys. I mean I don't understand why films are rushed into production before the scripts are even finished.

This is meant to be a thing, the system needs a serious overhaul. And it's a goddamned miracle Iron Man turned out like it did, it barely had a script most of the acting scenes were improvised!

Harry Dresden on
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Survivor, one of those perfectly adequate Netflix watches, nothing more. Not bad, not good, but a decent timekiller.

Milla Jovovich is head of security at the US Embassy in London, notices fishy stuff going on with the Visa application processes for a few people. When she and the group of visa employees go out to a birthday party dinner, place blows up, killing everyone but her, and Pierce Brosnan is trying to kill her because no loose ends. Along the way she gets help from Dylan McDermott and an old lady who is basically old Chloe, while trying to avoid the jerkstore british security guy and the US ambassador.

The story is your usual chase thriller, with predictable movie bad guy and motivation that is common these days (hint, it's in the east. and european.), but it's all told competently. Brosnan shows again he's really good in this old CIA/Assassin motif just like Liam Neeson is, Jovovich isn't completely made to be lady buttkicker strong independent woman Destiny Child but capable and believable in her actions with a believable backstory given her age, and McDermott is the loyal embassy bigshot who believe Jovovich when no one else does.

The faults of the movie come in predictable villain, Brosnan's motivation sort of devolved into mustache twirling, and the US ambassador (Angela Bassett) tries to come across like she's on the ball and all this proactive BS when in reality ambassador gigs to places like the UK and Japan are the easiest, safest places, which is why they usually go to big time fundraisers and friends of the President, and that's one of those known things that it would have made the interactions much more original instead of "OMG the ambassador is on the hunt for Jovovich, this is super serial you guys!"

In all you have a movie that should have been 15 minutes shorter, some tighter editing, but it's not as bad as 8% on rotten tomatoes. It never tries to be anything original or clever, it has a job and does is good enough. In many ways it sort of feels like a mini-24 (and some of the locations look like they were used from Live Another Day), and is worth a netflix watch over the long weekend if you're bored.

This convinced me we need a movie where Liam Neesan fights evil Pierce Brosnan.

This is meant to be a thing, the system needs a serious overhaul. And it's a goddamned miracle Iron Man turned out like it did, it barely had a script most of the acting scenes were improvised!
    In spite of what I just said, movies that are made in more of an improvisational way can work. I did like the shaggy, improvised dialogue in Iron Man. And Christopher Guest and Robert Altman are both big on improvisation.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

IN A CAVE!

WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    edited September 2015

In spite of what I just said, movies that are made in more of an improvisational way can work. I did like the shaggy, improvised dialogue in Iron Man. And Christopher Guest and Robert Altman are both big on improvisation.

Sure, I just get antsy when a studio bets their entire company on it. Failure was not an option back then - that's why it's crazy that it worked.

Harry Dresden on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I am watching some movie where there is an annual 'purge' in the United States. All laws are suspended for one night, and this apparently causes everyone to turn into serial murderers. This is somehow great for the economy and somehow reduces crime.

This is the dumbest crap I have watched in a long time.

/popcorn

With Love and Courage
    The Ender wrote: »
    I am watching some movie where there is an annual 'purge' in the United States. All laws are suspended for one night, and this apparently causes everyone to turn into serial murderers. This is somehow great for the economy and somehow reduces crime.

This is the dumbest crap I have watched in a long time.

/popcorn

First or second? It got a sequel.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I dunno.

This has Zoey and Charlie and now some psychos are about to break into the 'protagonists' home.

It doesn't seem like it's a sequel, but it might be I guess.

With Love and Courage
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I'm watching the last few Jacques Demy films that I haven't yet seen. A Slightly Pregnant Man was very well cast. If there's a list of European pairs I'd like to see make a child, Catherine Deneuve impregnating Marcello Mastroianni would be pretty high on the list.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The sequel has a surprisingly good reputation.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I dunno.

This has Zoey and Charlie and now some psychos are about to break into the 'protagonists' home.

It doesn't seem like it's a sequel, but it might be I guess.

I'm going to assume you mean Charlie Day, and now I'm thinking of a Purge movie about the It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia gang.

The only law...

Is Bird Law.

Like someone else upthread, I decided it was finally time to lose my Evil Dead virginity. Starting with Evil Dead II, then Army of Darkness, and then Evil Dead the first.

Here's some art I made to commemorate the occasion!

QP45HZH.jpg

(I kinda like how it came out. I wanted to move away from the clean, stark minimalism that fan posters usually go for. No doubt Criterion will be calling me any day now.)

So: what did I think of them? Since I made fan art I must be a huge fan, right? ..Well, no, I wouldn't go that far, but they're fun!

As I was watching Evil Dead II, though, I did find myself thinking it wasn't quite the movie I was in the mood for. I went in wanting and expecting a feel good horror comedy, like Ghostbusters, or Shaun of the Dead, or ParaNorman...and what I got was a feel bad horror comedy - the kind that begins and ends with the protagonist screaming and alone, where the people he cares about die, where a woman gets dragged off into the woods to be brutally tree raped, and another turns into an evil beast that Ash has to brutally murder as she pleads with him not to. That doesn't mean the movie was wrong for going with such a bleak tone - but you could argue its cartooniness and zaniness and campy one liners is at odds with its overall bleakness...

Anyway, when I watched Army of Darkness, which has a much lighter tone, I was like - 'yeah, this is more what I was looking for.' And when I watched the first one, I didn't mind the bleaker tone as much - I was more prepared for the bleakness, I guess, but also, in that case, the movie is less cartoony, which made the darkness easier to swallow.

In any case, with all three films there's a boldness and a energy and an inventiveness that I like - they're dripping with style - and in particular with Raimi's style. I like filmmakers that have their own definite stamp. And it's always nice to see quality low budget films because, as someone interested in getting into filmmaking, they're the movies that really make me go, 'yeah, I can do this'

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Quick note for anybody who spotted The Family on Netflix and was considering watching it: Don't.

You'd think that a gangster in witness protection writing his memoirs while his family struggle to fit in could make for a decent film. Maybe it could. But Luc Besson apparently can't make that film.

The whole thing seems to be a drawn out incredibly tedious "huh huh, aren't Americans in Europe awful" joke.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.