As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp][Specter Ops]: Game Over - Agent Captured

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    The prophet sees nothing

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The prophet sees nothing

Does the motion sensor ping?

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    The prophet sees nothing

Whoops. Yes, it pings.

Southwest

Steam
  • Options
    The prophet sees nothing

Whoops. Yes, it pings.

Southwest

As we would expect.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    so F12 then? think that is the closest I can get.

Egos on
  • Options
    move to F12

• Options
    Sorry for the delay. The beast sees nothing.

Turn 7

Board:
    rfdd8frh8l7n.png
    The Beast is at F12
    The Gun is at B16
    The Prophet is at E8
    The empty car is at F8
    The Last Seen token is at B13

The agent may move, @Preda

Steam
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    This is pretty damn brutal with 3 hunters.

• Options
    Kaneski wrote: »
    This is pretty damn brutal with 3 hunters.

I played yesterday as the cobra and got blown up. I've won once with orangutan, and lost three other times.

Never pick the cobra, folks

Steam
  • Options
    Coming soon: PA Forums [Specter Ops] Game 2 - the Cobra strikes!

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    A smoke granade explodes in D15.

Hunters can go.

• Options
    The Prophet moves to C11, just in case the smoke bomb is a distraction
    Next turn I'll pick up the car.

• Options
    Precog triggers? If agent was ballsy and went to D14 last round, he could've made it across the road to D17 or F17.

• Options
    Either way prophet and gun should move before beast. If we luck out, score a shot and beast is in range - 1/3 chance of gg right there.

• Options
    The Prophet moves to C11, just in case the smoke bomb is a distraction
    Next turn I'll pick up the car.

The Prophet does not see the agent

Steam
  • Options
    Alrighty then. 3 equipment uses, and still at least a turn away from the objective. That's good for us.

Bad for us - it's been 3 turns without confirmed sighting. Agent HAD to be in the A9 - D14 grid last turn. Everything else was covered. Motion sensor ping confirmed he didn't sneak past discrider's E sightline. I think the smoke is legit. He used it to either end turn on the road - risky bluff with Gun, or cross the road from D14. For 3 equipment use, I'm quite happy to let him have 1 of the objectives. It sure as shit was hard-won. However, I can't let the agent get too far ahead south - if he does so ahead of me and the Beast, he can snap up another 1-2 objectives before we can corner him again.

So, even though there's REALLY good odds he's still in the A9-D14 grid, I have to hedge against Preda's balls - he could be as far away from us as H17 right now. So if we focus on the grid, he's in a REALLY good spot.

Gun moves to D18.

@Zombie Hero for sightlines.

• Options
    Alrighty then. 3 equipment uses, and still at least a turn away from the objective. That's good for us.

3 equipment uses and 1 hit :P

• Options

Bad for us - it's been 3 turns without confirmed sighting. Agent HAD to be in the A9 - D14 grid last turn. Everything else was covered. Motion sensor ping confirmed he didn't sneak past discrider's E sightline. I think the smoke is legit. He used it to either end turn on the road - risky bluff with Gun, or cross the road from D14. For 3 equipment use, I'm quite happy to let him have 1 of the objectives. It sure as shit was hard-won. However, I can't let the agent get too far ahead south - if he does so ahead of me and the Beast, he can snap up another 1-2 objectives before we can corner him again.

So, even though there's REALLY good odds he's still in the A9-D14 grid, I have to hedge against Preda's balls - he could be as far away from us as H17 right now. So if we focus on the grid, he's in a REALLY good spot.

Gun moves to D18.

@Zombie Hero for sightlines.

The Gun does not see the agent

Steam
  • Options
    would going to H14 be worth it on the off chance? C10 would give line of sight and tell if he is it in that general area, if not spotted

• Options
    Getting sight of agent if he's at H17 wouldn't get us much - beast can't shoot, and then both you and I and prophet are many turns from catching up and trapping again. If the agent's escapes the pocket AND out-distances pursuit, that's at least 1, possibly 2 objectives for free while we redeploy. It's all in either way.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    well c10 would give confirmation one or another, I think, if the agent is in that general grid. no? though I think c13 would have the same effect.

Egos on
  • Options
    I believe that Preda is likely in the smoke cloud at the moment.
    @Zombie Hero , if the Beast moves at 5 speed through the smoke cloud, does he automatically hit the agent if he runs over him?

• Options
    @Zombie Hero , if the Beast moves at 5 speed through the smoke cloud, does he automatically hit the agent if he runs over him?

No, Hunters can run through the agent's space without seeing them. They only check vision at the end of their move.

Steam
  • Options
    @Egos also the Prophet already moved to C11.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    @discrider if you're right, and agent went from D11 to the smoke cloud... bet on E15? Since it's the furthest from Gun at the time of agent move?

And if Beast E15s, and he's not there, then he's either trapped in the A-C column, or I'll get a quickdraw the instant the smoke vanishes.

Kaneski on
  • Options

No, Hunters can run through the agent's space without seeing them. They only check vision at the end of their move.

That's the hunters vision, yes.
    But what about the Beast's Quadrapedal movement? Does it imply the Beast attacks all squares he moves through regardless of vision?

• Options
    I'm getting this from the FAQ btw, where the beast can hit twice if lands on the agent: once normally and once with his claws.

• Options

That's the hunters vision, yes.
    But what about the Beast's Quadrapedal movement? Does it imply the Beast attacks all squares he moves through regardless of vision?
    I'm getting this from the FAQ btw, where the beast can hit twice if lands on the agent: once normally and once with his claws.

Huh. Makes... some sense. Considering how it's applied in the FAQ, and the difference between Quad movement and Brutal Strength description - "share space during turn" vs "end movement in".

• Options
    I would imagine it's "ends movement in" otherwise it would be too powerful. Also that would require stating the specific route in some cases...

Was mainly suggesting those 2 because of scent, if you thought he was in A-D

• Options
    It's on par with Quickdraw for power, only at different timing... Quickdraw is for area denial, as Biped is for sweeping.

• Options
    I'm going to interpret "can only attack agents he shares a space with during that turn" as "only attack agents he shares a space with during the beast's attack step".

So since he is only able to attack after he spent all his movement, then it basically means he can only attack agents in squares that he ends his turn with. Which is why there is a "but" clause, instead of an "and" or "in addition" clause. It just means if you want to sprint, you better land in the same space as the agent.

Steam
  • Options
    That's that then ;)

• Options
    I'm going to interpret "can only attack agents he shares a space with during that turn" as "only attack agents he shares a space with during the beast's attack step".

So since he is only able to attack after he spent all his movement, then it basically means he can only attack agents in squares that he ends his turn with. Which is why there is a "but" clause, instead of an "and" or "in addition" clause. It just means if you want to sprint, you better land in the same space as the agent.

I was interpreting the but as a replacement clause, replacing vision with running up and clawing face...

Maybe you need to see (during your attack step) and have passed through the Agent that turn (but not necessarily be on top of the Agent at end of turn) to attack?

Otherwise the wording seems convoluted for just "but you must be on top of the Agent to attack"

• Options

I was interpreting the but as a replacement clause, replacing vision with running up and clawing face...

Maybe you need to see (during your attack step) and have passed through the Agent that turn (but not necessarily be on top of the Agent at end of turn) to attack?

Otherwise the wording seems convoluted for just "but you must be on top of the Agent to attack"

Heh, agent really needs to keep honest about health then - this makes it possible for the Beast to step on the agent, keep going, end the movement without LoS, and the Agent would still lose HP. Now, secret HP is already in game - re: quickdraw/snipe & decoy interaction. The only adjustment is the Beast has to sound out every coordinate they step on during movement.

• Options
    Huh... thinking about it... it's not that the Beast can't 'shoot' - ie, roll the die to see if an attack hits. It's that 'bipedal' restricts his targeting to agents that he shared a square with during the turn.

To borrow from the FAQ: where the last seen marker is not within LoS of the gun, but the agent passed through the gun's LoS during movement - the gun still gets to quickdraw, although the distance is counted to the final position of the last seen marker. Thematically - difficulty of shot, rather than strict LoS to last seen marker.

So... my new (and probably final) read if the agent is spotted - ie, vulnerable to attack, by either the beast or another hunter, and the beast shared a space with the agent during that turn - the beast gets to roll a die to hit, if the beast is not on top.

Example #1

Agent is at B14. Beast starts at C13. Beast moves to B18 through B14. After the movement is done - the agent is spotted and revealed by the Beast along the B line. Since the beast 'shared the space', he gets to roll the die to hit - needing 4 or more to hit, since the agent is 4 squares away.

Example #2

Agent is at B8. Beast starts at D5. Another hunter spots the agent on the road from something like N8 - out of shooting range. Beast moves to B9 to block agent through B8. Since the beast 'shared the space', he has to roll to hit - 1 on the roll is an automiss.

This reading basically makes beast not useless trying to hit Cobra - turns beast into a drive-by attacker.

• Options
    I think being able to attack without having to do vision checks is crazy op

Steam
  • Options
    I think being able to attack without having to do vision checks is crazy op

Agreed. Hence the Drive-By Beast interpretation. Got a copy of the game - going to lose some friends this Sunday :D

• Options
    edited September 2015
    While I think you guys might be right in regards to the precise wording, I still think the spirit of the rule was to add a drawback to the very powerful ability of moving five spaces. For now, let's proceed as if the beast can only attack on the space he lands.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    While I think you guys might be right in regards to the precise wording, I still think the spirit of the rule was to add a drawback to the very powerful ability of moving five spaces. For now, let's proceed as if the beast can only attack on the space he lands.
    Agreed, which is why my final reading would be:
    If the Beast moved say C4 D5-7, he would then end D7 and have sight along D. (These may not be real locations)
    He could then attack D5-7, but not C4 (cannot see it but moved through it) nor D4 (can see but did not move through it).

• Options
    edited September 2015

hey for what it's worth I was of your mind the whole time O_O
    Agreed, which is why my final reading would be:
    If the Beast moved say C4 D5-7, he would then end D7 and have sight along D. (These may not be real locations)
    He could then attack D5-7, but not C4 (cannot see it but moved through it) nor D4 (can see but did not move through it).

I would think it would just be D7... then again I read "share" as cohabiting vs. passing by.

Egos on