As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Destiny: The Taken King. Like The Lion King, but with less regicide.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    but yeah naph just some basic stuff

weapon damage/armour armour is a flat representation of good, so something with a higher damage/armour just does more damage/armour. it'sn ot a thing where you need to go "well this shotgun deals 280 and this auto rifle does 280, but the rifle fires faster, so it must do that 280 faster", those numbers are considered to mean "this weapons are equally powerful". now they probably won't be due to perks and shit, but that's what they mean

armour stats affect your super, grenade, and melee cooldown, and you can see them on your character sheet. it's all breakpoints, not percentages

light level is a general representation of how strong you are based on your gear, you can think of it as a gearscore. when you get loot that you decrypt (like identifying legendaries in diablo), it's based on your light level, so don't do it when you're wearing cosmetic gear

i think everything else should be spelled out pretty cleanly by the game as you go through, iirc

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    are there any huge differences between human/awakened/exo I should be aware of

If you haven't already made your character, one thing to be aware of, is you can't rotate or zoom your model, and the lighting in the creator is very different from what's in game or something.
    Apparently it's pretty common for people to make their character and then see them in game and be aghast.
    When my friends saw mine in town the first time, they were like "Hey, yours actually came out pretty well."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    thanks folks

probably wont touch the game until the holidays, but I'll bookmark the thread and come back to it then

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So I caved and bought some silver and now have the prettiest hot pink sparrow, combined with my Akira contrail scarf and race armor I am just the most obnoxious looking.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

weapon damage/armour armour is a flat representation of good, so something with a higher damage/armour just does more damage/armour. it'sn ot a thing where you need to go "well this shotgun deals 280 and this auto rifle does 280, but the rifle fires faster, so it must do that 280 faster", those numbers are considered to mean "this weapons are equally powerful". now they probably won't be due to perks and shit, but that's what they mean

armour stats affect your super, grenade, and melee cooldown, and you can see them on your character sheet. it's all breakpoints, not percentages

light level is a general representation of how strong you are based on your gear, you can think of it as a gearscore. when you get loot that you decrypt (like identifying legendaries in diablo), it's based on your light level, so don't do it when you're wearing cosmetic gear

i think everything else should be spelled out pretty cleanly by the game as you go through, iirc

Related to the damage/armor tip, you can't really compare the stats on different types of guns. Just because a shotgun has twice the Impact of a sniper rifle, doesn't mean it will do more damage than that rifle; in fact, it will probably do way less. The stats on a gun (Impact, Reload, Stability, Range, Rate of Fire) are meant to be compared to weapons of that same type.

• Options

Also, one thing I found out later than I should have. Your HP and (and maybe damage?) is determined by your total light level, not just the light level of a particular piece of gear.
    So if you're rocking a bunch of really rad armor, but are using a crappy gun because you're doing a GunSmith rep bounty or something, you will be squishier than you think.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Just started Sparrow racing

These races are all WAY TOO LONG

All the ones I've done have been 5 minutes when they should be 3

And whyyyyyyyyyy is accelerate on the left trigger when it is right in literally every game, I have years of tolerance built up that is now not being used so my left hand is destroyed

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in finishing off the golg challenge tonight? I should have a checkpoint

Let's say around 7 central, VannDiras on ps4

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    are there any huge differences between human/awakened/exo I should be aware of

If you make one of your characters an Awakened Female, the voice actress is Grey DeLisle. Which sadly only matters for about eight lines of spoken dialogue in the game, and the assorted grunts and groans you make when you're wounded or jumping.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait is there race armor
    I have not logged in since Halloween but I may need to jump on this

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait is there race armor

And also hot race shaders
    And race sparrows

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of the stuff is just cosmetic and I think even the stuff with an actual light level you probably wouldn't want to wear for raiding or whatever as they have bonuses to sparrow racing.

You too can look as ridiculous as this:
    http://youtu.be/GFPOBOwyCyM

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    What is the best time everyone has gotten?

I'very hit 4:17 on Venus and 4:21 on Mars

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Just started Sparrow racing

These races are all WAY TOO LONG

All the ones I've done have been 5 minutes when they should be 3

And whyyyyyyyyyy is accelerate on the left trigger when it is right in literally every game, I have years of tolerance built up that is now not being used so my left hand is destroyed

Um, because boost has been on that trigger since the alpha of the game and has never, ever changed

If you're taking five minutes to finish those tracks my advice is be faster 8-)

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Pro-tip, if you have the Jolly Holliday quest you can get crucible wins for your The Last Word if you have it equipped during SRL.

Finally was able to finish that quest

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    My Tuesday night raid group from G&T destroyed the Oryx Challenge on just our 2nd attempt earlier this evening! :o (I died at the end since I was the bubble titan in charge of Bomb position #4. The bombs were just a bit staggered because of the last Ogres, and I wanted to make sure I had activated all of them.)
    jpzeebesced1.jpg
    tbztezrv2yh5.jpg

In addition to all the Oryx loot, we got an emblem, ship, calcified fragment, and grimoire card. That being our 50th fragment, Eris also had gifts for us: a shader and a (weak) class item.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I have this on PS4 now btw, you can add Vuvuzellis

i'm on euro time just as a fair warning

also i only have vanilla destiny plus wolves and dark below for the moment

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait is there race armor

yeah, a lotta these Starbikes they reward are very explicitly Trons- you got blue, purple, and fire bikes; and if you're a Hunter you get a light-cape like a lightcycle LASER CAPE that makes you better at racing. The Takeaway is that WE GOT OURSELVES A REAL RACE HERE

unless, of course
    you think Tron is lame

Dimosar on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I

Love

Tron

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, I should try and play this again tonight. Maybe it won't constantly disconnect like it was doing previously.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    hey if i started to play destiny do you realistically think there would be enough people here to group with for the later game stuff? be real with me here. i've owned it for months and never played it and think i want to get into it in a big way.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    hey if i started to play destiny do you realistically think there would be enough people here to group with for the later game stuff? be real with me here. i've owned it for months and never played it and think i want to get into it in a big way.

Depends on your platform. Most people here and on G&T play on PS4 I think. All you need for end-game content is 3 (Trials of Osiris, Court of Oryx) or 6 (Raids).

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    i am also playing on ps4!

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    exist wrote: »

Depends on your platform. Most people here and on G&T play on PS4 I think. All you need for end-game content is 3 (Trials of Osiris, Court of Oryx) or 6 (Raids).

Court of Oryx is just out in the open in a main zone, so you can also just walk in on some randos doing it and help out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    You should have no problems finding people to play with on PS4. Check out the G&T thread. Most people you'll find there are good, friendly people you can play with.

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    So I just got my new PS4 hooked up and have the taken king. I still have to install it and all the updates (which will take a year), but if you want to add me i'm Dogbone19 on PSN.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I've always been able to do plenty of raiding on the Xbone, as well.

• Options
    Ffffff.

Can everyone who's better than me just stop sparrow racing for a bit? I need 4 more wins to complete this book.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I hate the handling on the sparrows.

So I've not touched the races.

Also I'm finally above 260 light. Should I do heroic strikes?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    unless things have changed since the release of TTK, the loot tables for normal strikes are the same as the heroic strikes. So the only reason to do heroic strikes is for the marks, which I think you only get for the first three each week?

of course if you like more of a challenge, then that is a good reason to do heroic strikes beyond the first three each week.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I hope they add guilds at some point

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I hope they add guilds at some point

They already have the clans feature or whatever it's called.

There's a big PA one already, take a look in the G&T thread.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Huh well.

I just ran sunless cell for the first time, managed to get a purple chest engram, popped it open and it was a Twilight Garrison.

That seems neat, can't try it out yet cause I already have an exotic helmet equipped and don't have another on me worth equipping.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Ffffff.

Can everyone who's better than me just stop sparrow racing for a bit? I need 4 more wins to complete this book.

Are you PS4? I was going to try and get a party together of 6 who needed various things for quest completions tonight.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Ffffff.

Are you PS4? I was going to try and get a party together of 6 who needed various things for quest completions tonight.

Yeah I am, does it let you enter sparrow racing as a party?

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Yep, there should be a few people who need wins that can group up and take turns

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey so I just got this on the Xbone and am up to like level 10 but have no idea what I'm doing and hella wanna play with some folks

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Oh you guys do a Destiny thread here too?

I am BluberryWerewlf on xbone if anyone wants to pew pew together

there's a decent sized group of xbone players from the G&T thread

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    also @Rankenphile if no one has pounced on the refer-a-friend thing with you yet, i can send you a link and it'll net you some cool loots after doing all the quest stuff

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know what that is but okay sure

8406wWN.png
This discussion has been closed.