As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Destiny: The Taken King. Like The Lion King, but with less regicide.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I'm eager to hear what people think of this expansion. I'm on the fence about it but I'd play more destiny if it was good destiny

• Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    I just reinstalled this and after doing a bunch of level 41 content like heroic strikes and prison of elders, I noticed I'm not getting any engram drops that decrypt over 245 for blues or 265 for purples. I'm usually around light level 296-300 and I thought that the light level of engrams was based off your light level. How come all the engrams I'm getting are so low? I used to get engrams in the 280-300 range fairly regularly but after decrypting dozens of engrams I'm just getting a lot of garbage. Aside from one blue chest engram that decrypted to a light level 300 Lucky Raspberry.

Has there been some change to the loot system?

Also I don't know if this is significant, but after I loaded in for the first time after reinstalling, I got the Upgrade Available notification and all of the upgrades on all of my gear and sub-classes were listed as new even though I had purchased them all. It went away after looking at each piece of my gear and sub-class abilities.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I just reinstalled this and after doing a bunch of level 41 content like heroic strikes and prison of elders, I noticed I'm not getting any engram drops that decrypt over 245 for blues or 265 for purples. I'm usually around light level 296-300 and I thought that the light level of engrams was based off your light level. How come all the engrams I'm getting are so low? I used to get engrams in the 280-300 range fairly regularly but after decrypting dozens of engrams I'm just getting a lot of garbage. Aside from one blue chest engram that decrypted to a light level 300 Lucky Raspberry.

Also I don't know if this is significant, but after I loaded in for the first time after reinstalling, I got the Upgrade Available notification and all of the upgrades on all of my gear and sub-classes were listed as new even though I had purchased them all. It went away after looking at each piece of my gear and sub-class abilities.

The upgrade thing is new, it happened to me as well and it's probably just a result of the update for the next expansion.

I don't know why you're having that engram problem though.

You aren't on one of the old consoles are you? Because they outright stopped updating/changing those weeks ago and I could see that maybe having some sort of effect.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    Ugh, I'd avoided the Destiny grind until now but lo and behold the new stuff recommends light level 280 and here I am with my sad clown 250. Guess who's running level 36 Vanguard strikes tonight!
    Do some court of oryx. You'll get way too many blue engrams, good way to light level up fast.

Can you run court of Oryx with randos though? I don't want to distract anyone from the shiny new stuff and I don't think I have the right runes anyway, all I have are these reciprocal runes and they're for the 190 version.

• Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

The upgrade thing is new, it happened to me as well and it's probably just a result of the update for the next expansion.

I don't know why you're having that engram problem though.

You aren't on one of the old consoles are you? Because they outright stopped updating/changing those weeks ago and I could see that maybe having some sort of effect.

I'm on PS4. It might be a sample size thing but I thought even the bad rolls should be a certain % below your current light level. Like if you're light level 300, bad blues should be around 260 or something right? Or does light level just increase the upper range of the roll?

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Ugh, I'd avoided the Destiny grind until now but lo and behold the new stuff recommends light level 280 and here I am with my sad clown 250. Guess who's running level 36 Vanguard strikes tonight!
    Do some court of oryx. You'll get way too many blue engrams, good way to light level up fast.

Can you run court of Oryx with randos though? I don't want to distract anyone from the shiny new stuff and I don't think I have the right runes anyway, all I have are these reciprocal runes and they're for the 190 version.

CoO is pretty much all randos whenever I do it. What happens is I'll wander into that part of the Dreadnought, see someone else doing it, and head over to help. And then when their rune is done, I'll pop my own, and we'll trade off for a while. And more often than not, two or three other characters will wander through the zone during that time and keep the chain going. Also, as a pretty mediocre player, the Tier 1 runes are pretty soloable. The rewards aren't bad for all tiers (provided that the launch today has fixed the weird ~240-250 cap for Blue Engrams). And the main way to get the T2 and T3 runes is to use your T1 runes.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've done all of two RoI story missions
    I went in at 291 light and have already pulled a bunch of ~320 blue gear

• Options

CoO is pretty much all randos whenever I do it. What happens is I'll wander into that part of the Dreadnought, see someone else doing it, and head over to help. And then when their rune is done, I'll pop my own, and we'll trade off for a while. And more often than not, two or three other characters will wander through the zone during that time and keep the chain going. Also, as a pretty mediocre player, the Tier 1 runes are pretty soloable. The rewards aren't bad for all tiers (provided that the launch today has fixed the weird ~240-250 cap for Blue Engrams). And the main way to get the T2 and T3 runes is to use your T1 runes.

Cool, thanks. I'll see how that goes and will probably run through some strikes anyway. Need the shinies, need more light, need to not have such low numbers.

• Options
    Man I forgot that sidearms will wreck some dudes' days real fast

• Options
    Ugh... I've still got two and a half hours of work, then probably another two hours of commute and bullshit to do before I get home. I want to shoot the space mans with my wizard guns!!

When I get home though, anyone who's up to anything that they need help with on the PS4, let me know. As of last night my Warlock is 334, my Titan is 332, and my Hunter is 325. New content is always way more exciting in a group than solo to me. Or helping burn through old content to get someone else ready for the new content, it's all good.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Booo, be on the XBone.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If you have legendary marks you can buy some 75 mark pieces that give 350 light each.

If you did the reef stuff they ask for a purple engram and money for more pieces

When I did story each quest reward was a 340 piece so ask someone to run you through the yellow triganle quest line and see if the 340 pieces are end mission rewards for you too even though you're 240

The least amount of effort but slowest is to do the two daily pvp missions that give 15 marks each (you can afk in them if you hate pvp), so 30 a day, then get those 75 mark pieces I mentioned earlier

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    What was your light level when you did them? I suspect they'll scale down to my level, other things have, but it's worth a shot!

Peen on
  • Options
    Mission rewards you get from talking to the mission contact are always at a set level. The ones you may get at random on the mission complete screen are randomized, but most regular story missions don't even offer those.

• Options
    I'll see if someone will run through them with me tomorrow night or the next day, I don't want to interrupt people's new fun.

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    And they asked, why did you climb Fellwinter Peak?

BECAUSE IT WAS THERE.

9_20_2016_10_05_39_PM.png

Also Bungie stop making jumping puzzles, you're terrible at it.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Man, levelling in this feels really fast. I used the instant level 25 item from buying Taken King because that's where I got my character to a couple years ago anyway. I did a handful of the early missions again to get a feel for the game again but I don't think I'll spend too much time on the original content unless there's missions with neat cosmetic or similar rewards that I look up or people recommend.

That said, I'm not sure what to do with the instant level 40 item, maybe get a class I haven't played much levelled up, but in 2 evenings of play I've gone from 25 to 31 so it really doesn't seem necessary for my Hunter.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm considering deleting a character, making a new one, and using the spark to get them back to 40 just to get a Khostov and not have to do the workaround quest stuff.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Is there actually anything worth getting from the early quests? Stuff like special Sparrows/shaders or whatever? Or would I just be getting a whole bunch of lowlevel gear to dismantle?

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    That'd be a pretty big waste of time, it takes about 10 minutes to start the khvostov quest. It would take far longer creating a new character and playing the intro through

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    The thing about using the spark is it doesn't give you XP to put into class skills
    So like you gotta do something to get those

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Eh, good point, my Titan is still way behind on subclass leveling but he's got SOMETHING in there at least

The character I most would want to remake because I hate how he looks is also the one with three capped subclasses and the most quests completed out of any of my characters, so I wouldn't delete him anyway

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I used the spark on my warlock who I hadn't used much, and I figure I'll immediately go do the quest for her third subclass and just focus on leveling that one up
    Or I might not use her ever! Who knows

I'm curious if there will be any ability to carry characters over to Destiny 2 cause I'm attached to my Hunter

• Options
    I finished the main Rise of Iron questline last night, I think? They have so many branches that splinter off that I guess you might not consider it finished, but it's the "immediate threat handled, now begin patrols and weird weapon quests" phase
    I think this game has really good setpieces and a suitably epic presentation and RoI continues that

I'm not actually clear on this point though, are there new strikes?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I finished the main Rise of Iron questline last night, I think? They have so many branches that splinter off that I guess you might not consider it finished, but it's the "immediate threat handled, now begin patrols and weird weapon quests" phase
    I think this game has really good setpieces and a suitably epic presentation and RoI continues that

I'm not actually clear on this point though, are there new strikes?

I think there are new strikes (2 I think)? I was in a party last night with @squall99x and I think we did one. Also I think a few of the strikes have been changed.
    I could be wrong on this.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    It's one new raid and one new strike

Which, given how short I am given to believe the main quest is, makes this sound a lot more like the Dark Below or House of Wolves than Taken King

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    1 new strike, 2 remade old strikes (Sepiks Perfected and The Abomination Heist)
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It's one new raid and one new strike

Which, given how short I am given to believe the main quest is, makes this sound a lot more like the Dark Below or House of Wolves than Taken King

I like to think of it as House of Wolves 2. More missions and exotics than HoW, and a new patrol zone, but not much more than that.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm liking the content, as little of it there seems to be. Of course, my final opinion really hinges on what the raid is like

Also, got my Y3 Gjallarhorn and the Khvostov 7G-0X woo

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Whaaaat howd you get Khvostov

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Whaaaat howd you get Khvostov
    Questline. Get it by either dismantling your old one or finding a thing out in the plaguelands.

• Options
    Ugh the Gjallarhorn quest needs some kind of random key drop from enemies to get to a certain area
    Hate those

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Go on patrol and immediately to the right there's a yellow wizard named Broodmother, kill her and she always seems to drop one of those keys. Pretty short respawn timer to, you can hold 10 keys per character and 10 in the vault if you want to grind them out.

Kanden on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Ugh the Gjallarhorn quest needs some kind of random key drop from enemies to get to a certain area
    Hate those

Kill Brood Mother wizards in the Plaguelands, they're a guaranteed drop from there iirc

• Options
    Awesome, thanks
    How many things do I need those keys for?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Awesome, thanks
    How many things do I need those keys for?

One for the G-horn quest, and they're also used to respawn in Archon's Forge and open up locked areas in the plaguelands that have chests and the giant axes.

• Options
    You can max them out pretty much without even trying.

• Options
    Oh fuck me
    Trying to get one of these Taken bounties for Petra and the 3 other idiot pubs are unable to even all shoot the damn thing at the same time so it gets away

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Ok I bought this dumb thing even though I literally have no idea how to play destiny anymore.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    is rise of iron worth $30 y/n

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    is rise of iron worth $30 y/n
    Gameplay wise, it's more of the same so far. If you're like me and really like the gameplay, then yes, but if not, then probably no.

This discussion has been closed.