As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Superhero] fun train has no brakes!

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    given that most of the original rangers were hired as kickypunch people first and actors second, I'm fairly happy with what we got

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    At least with Kat, we got a real arc that built up through a good chunk of the season, introducing her and integrating her while simultaneously giving Kim a real sendoff.

As opposed to "oh, you guys are gonna go on this peace trip thing well bye I guess".

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    In fairness the actors walked out over money issues

They had to dub in even the little we got of their send off

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Poor Billy might have had the worst sendoff of them all

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Guys

I get that you love all this stuff and I'd never tell you you're wrong for liking it at all!

But maybe you should create your own thread to discuss it? It's dominated this thread recently, and that shows that there's enough enthusiasm for it to be given it's own space I reckon

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    tumblr_nuf7fvje2m1rra8xoo1_500.jpg
    Incredible Hulk #279
    January 1983
    Mark Gruenwald, Greg LaRocque,
    and Bill Mantlo

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Yeah take this shit out of the homestuck thread

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I know it's easy to ignore a conversation happening in a thread, but I'm having to ignore whole pages.

I feel a thread might be a more appropriate venue for such invested enthusiasm?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    There were threads for both toku and mmpr and they weren't as active

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Well maybe they would be, if you guys took this discussion there

Which is not to say I am telling you what to do

just that it seems like you guys are enthusiastic about this so why not give it it's own thread?

And then people who want to talk about superhero comics and movies and shit on SE++ can do so here

Solar on
  • Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    power rangers are super heroes

• Options
    The last couple pages have also had talk about superhero comics and movies and shit.

Nothing is stopping you from joining in on that just because some people are also talking about a different thing that you don't personally care about that is also totally an aspect of superhero things.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Toku thread can be found here. I'll update the OP soon with the current KR/SS series. If you guys wanna talk about Power Rangers and the like there too, it's cool. :)

• Options
    Cool yeah ill go post there bye

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Solar wrote: »
    Well maybe they would be, if you guys took this discussion there

Which is not to say I am telling you what to do

just that it seems like you guys are enthusiastic about this so why not give it it's own thread?

And then people who want to talk about superhero comics and movies and shit on SE++ can do so here
    The thread says superheroes

That's what this is

As pointed out we had threads and they died

I dont really see how this is different than not caring about dc discussion or marvel discussion

If a mod would like us to move it id be happy to but this is the superhero thread so I dont think its off topic

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The last couple pages have also had talk about superhero comics and movies and shit.

Nothing is stopping you from joining in on that just because some people are also talking about a different thing that you don't personally care about that is also totally an aspect of superhero things.

I feel like maybe you think I am having a go at you guys here

Which is understandable

I'm not, though, I'm just suggesting that you take it to your own thread. There is a thread for it, and it's also clearly something that can sustain it's own discussion!

if you don't feel like you should have to do that, or don't want to, or whatever, then I'm not your mum or a mod so you don't have to do what I say

Solar on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm not trying to judge you folks or anything.

And I'm not a mod or anything, so this is just my own perspective.

But I've never really considered Super-Sentai/MMPR to be superheroes, and that's on me but I really don't. And anytime they are brought up I may as well be reading French, because my interest is shot.

Which happens with other topics too but recently they have been brought up a lot.

Like a lot -- a lot, and perhaps such passion for the topic would be better served in its own thread?

• Options

Which is understandable

I'm not, though, I'm just suggesting that you take it to your own thread. There is a thread for it, and it's also clearly something that can sustain it's own discussion!

if you don't feel like you should have to do that, or don't want to, or whatever, then I'm not your mum or a mod, you do whatever man

I mean,

It doesn't really feel like you would bring this up in then first place if you didn't want it to happen.

It comes off kinda passive aggressive.

If it wasn't supposed to then it wasn't, but it definitely does.

• Options
    edited October 2015

Which is understandable

if you don't feel like you should have to do that, or don't want to, or whatever, then I'm not your mum or a mod, you do whatever man

I mean,

It doesn't really feel like you would bring this up in then first place if you didn't want it to happen.

As opposed to what alternative?

Making aggressive demands that a poster can't enforce/enact?

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Which is understandable

I mean,

It's not passive aggressive

Passive aggressive would be to say "hey so other than all this toku talk how about some superhero news..." and then to segue into whatever

this was regular direct "maybe go and talk about this somewhere else" and yes I would rather you did do that, otherwise I would not suggest it

aggressive aggressive, if you like!

It wasn't rude, if that's what you're getting at, I was trying to be nice and polite about it

Solar on
  • Options
    "I dont care about this go somewhere else even though you consider it on topic" kind of sucks no matter how you put it

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Which is understandable

I mean,

As opposed to what alternative?

Making aggressive demands that a poster can't enforce/enact?

I dunno. You could just talk about and post about the things you want to while other people do the same?

Final Fantasy 14 talk comes up a lot in the JRPG thread. Somehow I get by.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Getting pretty defensive about what was a rather relaxed suggestion here, guys

Solar on
  • Options
    Getting pretty defensive about what was a pretty relaxed suggestion here, guys

Well maybe don't make suggestions that basically tell people you want them to leave, then.

Cause no matter how "relaxed" it is, it's shitty.

• Options
    Like solar I know it wasn't meant to be rude but

"please leave, I dont care"

Is still hurtful

• Options
    On the whole I try to be nice and polite.

But I don't see how to maintain that moving forward in this conversation because its likely going to sound like I'm just shitting all over a thing you folks are very passionate about.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Good tagline too; though I'd rather read a 2099 book that actually takes place in 2099, personally.

Does it not?
    Isn't Captain America 2099 supposed to be in it?

I mean, I don't know how else to interpret "fighting crime before his time"

I can only come up with 'hero displaced to past', which pretty much prevents it from taking place in 2099.

The cover does make it looked like it's 2099, though.

Yeah, I was considering that.

isn't it a time-honored tradition for covers to not reflect actual book content? I feel like that's a thing.

edit: maybe it's like 2090?

The 2014 series has a bit of stuff happening in 2099, so maybe this series will have something similar

• Options

Well maybe don't make suggestions that basically tell people you want them to leave, then.

So Solar & I aren't allowed to state how we feel?

• Options
    edited October 2015

No it isn't. It was a calm, polite suggestion that you talk about a certain subject (which, while popular in the eyes of many usual posters in this thread, is also completely unknown to many of the other usual posters in this thread) in a thread of it's own so it doesn't dominate the discussion here. I wasn't telling you to leave. This isn't a party. You aren't being evicted from the house.

you're just getting really defensive over it

if you want to talk about that stuff here then go for it, I'm hardly going to report you or anything

Solar on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Is still hurtful

If that post was "hurtful" to you, I don't even know what to say

Nobody told the sentai fans to fuck off, it was a suggestion

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    You know, not to finger-wag at either side of this argument but I did post the toku-thread link in order to avoid this exact thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5FfJ89rGPc

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    SE is off-topic so I wouldn't force anyone to move, but as a poster I completely 100% agree with Solar.

• Options
    I mean guys

I like all of you a bunch. I wasn't trying to shit on your cornflakes or cause an argument.

• Options
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

Is still hurtful

it was a suggestion that was phrased in a way that in no uncertain terms said that people would be uncomfortable in the thread if we didn't move the discussion

which is loaded and unfair cause what else are we supposed to do

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Listing what a power ranger can and can't do really does make a case for being a super hero or not.

• Options
    Also when someone says "hey, I feel what you are saying to me is shitty and it hurts" maybe don't respond by telling them "no those feelings are invalid you are just being too defensive".

• Options
    Just say "okay guys well I can appreciate that you might feel that this is off topic, but actually we've tried this as it's own thread before and it's died. We do really want to talk about it though, so if it's cool then we're going to keep the topic here"

Which Hullis actually did! (I cannot directly call someone WeedLordVegeta sorry) and then I responded in the interests of just discussing the topic

but then you guys got pretty bent out of shape over what is, essentially, just a passing thought on whether it might be best (and was not, I repeat, any kind of hurtful attack for god's sake)

and here we are

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

Is still hurtful

it was a suggestion that was phrased in a way that in no uncertain terms said that people would be uncomfortable in the thread if we didn't move the discussion

which is loaded and unfair cause what else are we supposed to do

that is ridiculous and untrue

Solar has said multiple times that he doesn't actually care if the discussion is migrated! You three are just being super touchy about the suggestion to make another forum thread, this is so not the big deal you're making it out to be. There's actually no downside to taking the suggestion! Or to not taking it!

I hate to be some kind of thick skin advocate but the idea that you're being trapped in a decision or forced out is cut from whole cloth.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    get the giant bomb talk out of the podcast thread while you're at it

• Options
    Being told repeatedly that being upset over it is invalid and that we're being hysterical does not exactly make the thread feel welcoming

This discussion has been closed.