As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I forgot that things start to taste different when I quit pop.

after almost two whole days without soda this little container of yogurt tastes incredible.

Also yeah tea is a very good idea I still have a bunch of earl grey laying around that I could have in the evenings.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. What folks say about pop is simply true.

Hard when you're trying to quit but you eventually lose a taste for it.

I think I only really drink it at family gatherings these days.

• Options
    RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    What are some good exercises for somebody with terrible painful knees? Swimming,i guess.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    What are some good exercises for somebody with terrible painful knees? Swimming,i guess.

Are you looking specifically for cardio?

Cause lot of weightlifting exercises that can be done on your back or in a neutral stance.

• Options
    RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    Just in general I guess. My wife has bad knees and I would like to help her get them stronger so maybe they won't hurt her so much

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Some kind of neoprene knee sleeves while lifting weights would be beneficial, as well as proper technique while lifting can go a long way towards strengthening the muscles and regaining mobility in areas

Each issue like that is fairly unique and how you approach it is really kind of a trial & error process

But a good warm-up, knee sleeves, and adherence to strict form is a good route

I'm a firm believer in deep, deep squats, but some people can't manage. If your wife is one, stopping at parallel is fine. Stopping above parallel is actually hell on your knees. Pulling from the ground, rack, or boxes is a good thing to load the spine

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Some kind of neoprene knee sleeves while lifting weights would be beneficial, as well as proper technique while lifting can go a long way towards strengthening the muscles and regaining mobility in areas

Each issue like that is fairly unique and how you approach it is really kind of a trial & error process

I'm a firm believer in deep, deep squats, but some people can't manage. If your wife is one, stopping at parallel is fine. Stopping above parallel is actually hell on your knees. Pulling from the ground, rack, or boxes is a good thing to load the spine

I wrap my knees for deadlifts and squats and it is heaven. Good form helps a ton too.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Also if she's weary of lifting don't underestimate the benefit of non-weighted squats or all other calisthenics for that matter. I am amazed at the fitness level a few people I know can maintain just from push ups, squats, pull ups, and the like.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I wrap my knees for deadlifts and squats and it is heaven. Good form helps a ton too.

I've never lifted with wraps but yeah, I saw the light on sleeves about a year ago.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    My sleeves are falling apart so I'm thinking of getting Rehbands
    Sleeves have helped me a ton especially after my MCL injury

Oooo got too high and ate too much yest
    Couldn't stop.. nuts and cheesecake

Noo my belly
    And my dreams of abs...

I've drastically cut down on my alcohol consumption though and this week I skipped free pizza and ate a salad that day!

poo
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I've never lifted with wraps but yeah, I saw the light on sleeves about a year ago.

Yea, I started with sleeves, but I hover around 300-350, and then add another 400+ pounds and the sleeves couldn't provide enough compression. I imagine if I was at a healthy weight I could ditch the wraps except for PR attempts.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Also if she's weary of lifting don't underestimate the benefit of non-weighted squats or all other calisthenics for that matter. I am amazed at the fitness level a few people I know can maintain just from push ups, squats, pull ups, and the like.

Well speaking as some who is beefy but has a weak chest...push-ups and pull ups are actually kind of hard.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Well speaking as some who is beefy but has a weak chest...push-ups and pull ups are actually kind of hard.

Yeah I'm still trying to do a pull up for the first time in my life for like a month now

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I'm having a cheat day today. This junk food tastes really good...

Also is it normal when starting to change your diet to uh...
    Get really stopped up?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Uriel wrote: »

Get really stopped up?

If you don't eat a lot of fiber, your poop will not have any noncompressible bulk and your intestines will uselessly mash on em instead of propagating them down the tube. If you don't drink water, it'll stick. If you eat bunches of fat or big bulky bricks of stuff, your digestive system will slow down to completely churn that butter.

Whenever you eat junk food, just ask yourself, "how well can I turn this into poop?"

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yeah I'm still trying to do a pull up for the first time in my life for like a month now

Knee push ups are still good and I've never done them but there are some techniques for assisted pull ups with stuff like rubber bands.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Negative motion pull ups are also good. Just is hard to train them when you can do like 1 with DE entry form, and it actually takes a good bit of strength to do a pull up.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Ran a 5 mile race today, was hoping to do 9 min miles and managed 8:45 instead so that felt pretty good.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    The first fun thing I've learned in my nutrition grad program: intermittent fasting for weight loss was first written about in 1900. eat your heart out, Martin Berkhan.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

Get really stopped up?

changing your fiber intake positively or negatively can cause that, yeah. and if you have gallbladder issues and you stop eating so much fat, you won't have as much undigested fat coursing through your digestive system.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wouldn't take a cheat day unless you've made some meritable progress in terms of adherence to a diet.

• Options
    Well I don't have a galbaldder so that could be it.

What would you consider progress Tube? I guess you're probably right but I just know if I hadn't had a bit of junk food the yesterday I would have lost my mind. Going from over 3000 calories to under 2000 a day is rough and I still managed to stay just over 2000 yesterday.

• Options
    Have you considered a less dramatic shift that will be easier to stick to? Perhaps 2500 a day for a while? It's important not to push yourself too hard too early on the diet or the exercise.

• Options
    pullup negatives - apparently I can't even free hang off a bar anymore

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I lost like 5kg(11lbs) over the year just by cutting down on fastfood, soda (couple times within a few months) and working out semi frequently

Feels good man
    Still can't run to save my life though

Peas on
  • Options
    Well I don't have a galbaldder so that could be it.

What would you consider progress Tube? I guess you're probably right but I just know if I hadn't had a bit of junk food the yesterday I would have lost my mind. Going from over 3000 calories to under 2000 a day is rough and I still managed to stay just over 2000 yesterday.

Two weeks of compliance per cheat meal. No full cheat days, those suck and encourage bad habits.

Bear in mind that the less junk you eat, the less junk you want. Calories aren't the issue right now as much as food choice is.

• Options
    I didn't put cheat days in until 2 months in of trying to adhere well

Then my cheat days were planned and followed by 36 hour fasts
    They were gluttonous

Worked for me
    Got to see my abs and all

Now I have not been following a diet but whatev

poo
  • Options
    If you are cheating it should be a meal not junk food. Shit like chips and candy are not just calorie dense but also not very satisfying.

• Options
    It should be pancakes

poo
  • Options
    It can be junk food if you want. Whatever will make you go "yes, that was a good cheat meal and I am ready to keep eating well for another two weeks."

I almost inevitably want McDonalds for a cheat meal. It's not "good" food that other people crave, it's just what I want when I'm dieting.

• Options
    Today I'm going to eat a salad!

poo
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    I'm having a hard damn time dealing with the shear amount of sodium in foods. I've been reading one shouldn't take in more than 2300mg, but damn that seems impossible. I guess I need to start buying better foods. I'm eating around 1500 calories a day, but I'm still going over on the sodium.

• Options
    I thought that sodium intake, unless you are hypertensive or whatever, was not really that big a deal

poo
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Depends on how cut you want to get. All the extra fluid in your system associated with a high sodium intake definitely affects your visible muscle definition. But it's also something that can be changed in a few days.

• Options
    If you're not drinking soda or eating junk food your sodium intake is probably taking care of itself. It's not a problem for most people who don't have a particular health problem.

• Options
    That 2300mg number is based on at best tenuous data. If you don't have high blood pressure I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    That makes me feel a bit better. I have a health screening at work tomorrow. They will check my blood pressure, cholesterol, and some other stats, and on top of that work is going to pay me $100 bucks to do it. Yes please.

I've lost about 110lbs over the past 18 months so I'm pretty eager to see how that translates into numbers.

• Options
    I don't do cheat days anymore but at the same time I don't sweat going a little bit over my daily calorie limit every now and then.

• Options
    A) 110lbs is amazing and way to fucking go

B) I've had two close friends diagnosed with high blood pressure and though both were told to restrict their diet neither were told by their doctors to manage their sodium intake.

It seems a lot of the high sodium and high cholesterol foods often associated with bad health were bad more because of saturated fats and trans fats.

• Options
    If I lost 110lbs and a doctor gave me shit about my sodium intake I'd inform them that the fastest way to reduce it would be to lick the salt off my nuts.

This discussion has been closed.