As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I apologise.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Usagi wrote: »
    Gosh I love it when people talk about my body as a depersonalized thing

I don't think many of us are talking about your body, since you didn't solicit the health goals we're talking about and they may not apply to what you care about at all. However, it's interesting to know where preventive health science is at; I just want to make sure people have their numbers correct when making assertions.

As a side note, waist circumference - height ratio may completely replace weight as the health measure, so look for that in the future.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Paladin wrote: »
    What's being talked about is overall morbidity and mortality. For white, Hispanic and black people, >25 is at least overweight. For Asians, it's >23, although there is literature suggesting Asians derive a mortality benefit from being in the overweight range. Dunno, literature changes.

It doesn't stop there. Abdominal obesity is where it's at, so if you're overweight but not morbidly obese, waist circumference makes your BMI risk category more valid. I'd worry less about a high BMI if your waist circumference was <102cm in men, <88cm in women, <90 in Asian men, or <80 in Asian women. If your numbers are bad in both measures, it's really up to a doctor to make the call if losing weight will add more years to your life.

What I'm saying. Generally speaking us black folks especially women have bigger thighs/butts in relation to our waists. So us weighing a bit more with the same waist size isn't abnormal.

So making a blanket statement about general weight is a bit short-sighted imo.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    What's being talked about is overall morbidity and mortality. For white, Hispanic and black people, >25 is at least overweight. For Asians, it's >23, although there is literature suggesting Asians derive a mortality benefit from being in the overweight range. Dunno, literature changes.

It doesn't stop there. Abdominal obesity is where it's at, so if you're overweight but not morbidly obese, waist circumference makes your BMI risk category more valid. I'd worry less about a high BMI if your waist circumference was <102cm in men, <88cm in women, <90 in Asian men, or <80 in Asian women. If your numbers are bad in both measures, it's really up to a doctor to make the call if losing weight will add more years to your life.

What I'm saying. Generally speaking us black folks especially women have bigger thighs/butts in relation to our waists. So us weighing a bit more with the same waist size isn't abnormal.

So making a blanket statement about general weight is a bit short-sighted imo.

That's all preventive screening really is, a blanket statement that hopefully catches all at risk but is not necessarily the end all / be all. However, at certain really high BMIs, it actually does get pretty specific; I'd put good money on anyone over 35 as being in their appropriate risk category.

Like I said though, it's improving all the time, and we're starting to take into consideration your particular issue. That doesn't mean it'll be best to wait until the test is absolutely perfect. You know, work with what you've got.

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Like I've had one doctor tell me I needed to be around 210. Another told me 240. So I'm just going to go with what works for me.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Woo. 20lbs lost in 4 months. This puts me at 165, my lowest weight.

Putting on jeans than I had shoved to the back of the closet and them fitting again is amazing feeling.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Speaking of weight, apparently over the last year or two I've put on weight (this is not a bad thing, I changed from a job where I was stood all day to sitting, plus age, getting over a period of being down, I like my figure a lot more now etc) and I am now exactly on the minimum to be able to give blood, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

However, will I actually be able to? Or will I pass out?

• Options
    Anyway on to happier things.

I'm wondering if I should put off clothes shopping until I drop a couple of waist sizes.

My old clothes are starting to look baggy but I don't want the same to happen with any new clothes I buy.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Liiya wrote: »
    Speaking of weight, apparently over the last year or two I've put on weight (this is not a bad thing, I changed from a job where I was stood all day to sitting, plus age, getting over a period of being down, I like my figure a lot more now etc) and I am now exactly on the minimum to be able to give blood, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

They do a finger prick test to determine if you're too anemic or whatever before they actually set you up for reals.

Recovery after donating blood is different for everybody, though. They'll have food and drink available after donating, so my advice would be to sit down for more time than you'd think you need, and drink lots of fluids, sugary drinks are actually better than water in this case, and snacks. Some places will even give their donors a full meal, which I would take advantage of if possible. If you can, arrange a ride to/from, or make sure you're very close to home since you definitely don't want to be driving, and you'll want to take it relatively easy for even several hours afterwards, so walking long distances isn't advised.

Javen on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

They do a finger prick test to determine if you're too anemic or whatever before they actually set you up for reals.

Recovery after donating blood is different for everybody, though. They'll have food and rink available after donating, so my advice would be to sit down for more time than you'd think you need, and drink lots of fluids, sugary drinks are actually better than water in this case, and snacks. Some places will even give their donors a full meal, which I would take advantage of if possible.

Thanks Javen, I've never done it before so good to know what I should take and how it works!

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    For black men a waist size above 38" means you're at increased risk of diabetes and heart disease, which is well worth keeping in mind.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    For black men a waist size above 38" means you're at increased risk of diabetes and heart disease, which is well worth keeping in mind.

Yeah that's been one of my big motivations as I'm currently a 46.

Sodium intake is something too but I can barely manage 2500mg let alone the recommended 2000mg black people have.

• Options
    Yeah. Like I've had one doctor tell me I needed to be around 210. Another told me 240. So I'm just going to go with what works for me.

That's not something I can gauge over the Internet. With that variation, one of those doctors is mistaken. Your recommendations will vary widely depending on several non-weight factors. It really depends more on what your goals and capabilities are, and if they don't take that into consideration, they'll never get anywhere. It's hard advising weight maintenance.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    And yet you're doing it over the internet

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Bugger it all. I want to focus on loosing weight, but it never feels as though its a right time to do so. So right now I try to eat right, drink a protein milkshake before I lift, and accept my medium gains every week. I figure when I plateau and can't increase my lifts anymore would be a prime time to actually diet/cut, but I haven't actually reached that point yet.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That's why the thread title's "weight management" in case anyone was interested; America especially is hella focused on weight loss and that isn't always the thing and there's a whole lot of harmful shit that gets thrown at people specifically over weight. It's not really a metric that you can make objective blanket statements about and be right, except on the extreme ends.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if I should put off clothes shopping until I drop a couple of waist sizes.
    My old clothes are starting to look baggy but I don't want the same to happen with any new clothes I buy.
    Buy new clothes. You'll feel better and look better - both friends and strangers will notice. It's a nice emotional payoff for the all the hard work - I've had to do it twice so far, and consider it a perk of getting fit now.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Recovery after donating blood is different for everybody, though. They'll have food and rink available after donating, so my advice would be to sit down for more time than you'd think you need, and drink lots of fluids, sugary drinks are actually better than water in this case, and snacks. Some places will even give their donors a full meal, which I would take advantage of if possible.

Thanks Javen, I've never done it before so good to know what I should take and how it works!

Good on you for planning to donate! I will say that at first glance they can seem very...choosy in regards to who they accept for donations. Anemia and iron deficiency are sine of the most common reasons, and it actually doesn't have a whole lot to do with pure bodyweight, so don't feel bad if they decide you aren't a good fit. It may be something completely out of your control.

• Options

Good on you for planning to donate! I will say that at first glance they can seem very...choosy in regards to who they accept for donations. Anemia and iron deficiency are sine of the most common reasons, and it actually doesn't have a whole lot to do with pure bodyweight, so don't feel bad if they decide you aren't a good fit. It may be something completely out of your control.

I didn't know that, so thats a good heads up in case they do turn me down.

• Options

I can't help him choose between the two weight recommendations provided by his physicians, but I can give context on the basis on which these recommendations are made. Unless people are obese, I have no absolute rules to offer. In my posts above, I have always included the caveat that the numbers serve as a guideline to take a second, more in-depth look and not as the final measure. I offer no direct medical advice to anyone in particular.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

I have no idea how in one page we went from "hey help me eat veggies" to "knowing absolutely nothing about a woman but her weight, I'm judging her diet unsuccessful and her weight to be unhealthy"

• Options
    cabsy wrote: »

I have no idea how in one page we went from "hey help me eat veggies" to "knowing absolutely nothing about a woman but her weight, I'm judging her diet unsuccessful and her weight to be unhealthy"

If you believe that I was pointing these numbers at anybody in particular, then I apologize for not making it crystal clear that I was making general statements and my second person pronouns were rhetorical.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

If you believe that I was pointing these numbers at anybody in particular, then I apologize for not making it crystal clear that I was making general statements and my second person pronouns were rhetorical.

It doesn't work that way.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    @Madican

Zucchini Parmesan Crisps
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/zucchini-parmesan-crisps-recipe.html

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/67952/roasted-brussels-sprouts/

A general guide on roasting vegetables
    http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-roast-vegetables/

My favourite roasted red pepper and tomato soup recipe
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13004/roasted-red-pepper-and-tomato-soup/
    (I'd recommend skipping the sour cream, or reducing it to a dollop, and making your own stock instead of canned/cartoned broth, which can have really high sodium) -- this involves bits of roasted pepper in the soup, but if you're still getting used to the idea of eating peppers, by all means blend it all up into a pulp

Cauliflower and Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
    http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/easy-cauliflower-gratin-50466
    This last one isn't the most healthful, but it's certainly a great way to get used to cauliflower. My mom made it a lot growing up, though she skipped the cheese and bacon (so.. cook the cauliflower and then dredge it in a can of Campbell's :P )

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Psykoma wrote: »

I understand it's a sensitive issue, but trust me when I say I will be the last person to judge others by their character, appearance, and how they are perceived. My thesis was that BMI is not a useless tool; it's not perfect, but it's sufficiently grounded in biometric science to be worth knowing, and worth knowing correctly. I saw that we were throwing down some general numbers, and I made them accurate.

I apologize for the dramatic spiel, but I respect your concerns too much to give a blithe answer, and I want to make sure my intentions are fully understood, regardless of the success of their delivery.

Paladin on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Thanks for the recipes and links @SilverWind. I especially like the look of those zucchini crisps, so I think I'll be adding some veggies to the grocery list.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2015

I understand it's a sensitive issue, but trust me when I say I will be the last person to judge others by their character, appearance, and how they are perceived. My thesis was that BMI is not a useless tool; it's not perfect, but it's sufficiently grounded in biometric science to be worth knowing, and worth knowing correctly. I saw that we were throwing down some general numbers, and I made them accurate.

I apologize for the dramatic spiel, but I respect your concerns too much to give a blithe answer, and I want to make sure my intentions are fully understood, regardless of the success of their delivery.

You're not correct, though. It's not particularly useful on a per-person basis, and weight/health correlates are not the direct causal link you seem to think. There are some negative health metrics that often (NOT ALWAYS) increase with greater weight, and those may have a correlate with increased morbidity. The weight itself is not necessarily an issue, especially when we're talking about not-very-very-obese people*. Additionally, carrying some extra weight has been shown to help your long term chances at fighting off cancer, for example.

*fatty tissue around the heart, for example, is probably a concern, but not everyone who is fat has that problem. Joint injury can be a problem for the very large, but not all. A lot of the forumers that you are talking (yes you are talking about people who are here and reading this) about are fit and healthy and just not within the bullshit BMI metrics, which btw are not set in stone and used to be different anyway. Science updates itself, medicine more often than most.

And you are judging. You are judging people's health, based on one metric which isn't even a particularly good overall tool. You cannot tell precisely how healthy someone is by just knowing their weight and BMI, and you can't even make a particularly good stab in the dark unless they've very very large. And for a lot of people, the minuscule statistical heath gains made by dropping that last 20-30 pounds definitely do not outweigh the stress and mental energy expenditure required to keep that weight off.

And this is why I stay the fuck out of this thread when it turns too heavily to dieting, because a lot of people start telling others they're doing their body wrong without even meeting them.

tynic on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I think the nice thing about this thread generally is that everyone is here to support and offer things that they've found useful and science that they feel could be advantageous to know. It's just the case that so much emotional balance is tied in to weight and appearance and the implications of being considered fat, that it's really difficult to offer advice in a way that is supportive of effort but not inadvertently (or... vertently? uhh) shaming of body types. It's a super sensitive thing to touch on, so doing it 'the right way' can be nearly impossible. Also, perceived physical health and how closely their appearance fits an often-arbitrary norm is something that people are hyperaware of, so even when the judgment is unintentional, its effects can be very detrimental to the maintenance of a positive mindset toward fitness or weight goals.

...Anyway, today I went for a 5k at 10:00 a.m. and it sucked all of the asses. Full-on allergy-related tightness of breath, the holes in my feet were killing me, and I wore shorts inappropriate for the humidity so the hem of the left leg chaffed my right inner thigh all to fuck.

THIS DIDN'T USED TO HAPPEN, hhargghhhh. I'm trying really hard to use a calendar to track my exercise and get back into a regular pattern. Baby steps, baby steps...

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

You're not correct, though. It's not particularly useful on a per-person basis, and weight/health correlates are not the direct causal link you seem to think. There are some negative health metrics that often (NOT ALWAYS) increase with greater weight, and those may have a correlate with increased morbidity. The weight itself is not necessarily an issue, especially when we're talking about not-very-very-obese people*. Additionally, carrying some extra weight has been shown to help your long term chances at fighting off cancer, for example.

*fatty tissue around the heart, for example, is probably a concern, but not everyone who is fat has that problem. Joint injury can be a problem for the very large, but not all. A lot of the forumers that you are talking (yes you are talking about people who are here and reading this) about are fit and healthy and just not within the bullshit BMI metrics, which btw are not set in stone and used to be different anyway. Science updates itself, medicine more often than most.

And you are judging. You are judging people's health, based on one metric which isn't even a particularly good overall tool. You cannot tell precisely how healthy someone is by just knowing their weight and BMI, and you can't even make a particularly good stab in the dark unless they've very very large. And for a lot of people, the minuscule statistical heath gains made by dropping that last 20-30 pounds definitely do not outweigh the stress and mental energy expenditure required to keep that weight off.

And this is why I stay the fuck out of this thread when it turns too heavily to dieting, because a lot of people start telling others they're doing their body wrong without even meeting them.

Yes, finally. Indeed, weight is a distanced issue from actual health risk, but given that we don't have an affordable, practical method to keep track of fat accumulation and distribution, it is currently the best we've got. A lot of our clinical measures are secondary effects of true disease process. I'm as anxious to get past it as you are, but it is emblematic of the assumptions we make when we say, "based on this data, people your age have a X% increased risk in Y% condition." And not enough people take that with the grain of salt it needs.

And I believe it is a good tool. For screening. It doesn't have to be a specific tool for screening, which is I think where the misunderstanding is coming from. When a doctor tells you that "your BMI classifies you as overweight," that doesn't mean anything to anyone other than the doctor, regardless of the vernacular connotations, because that's only the start of what it means for you. It could mean nothing - you're bulked up, you have no cardiovascular or metabolic risk factors, there are as yet undetermined genetic and lifestyle factors that make a weight outside the statistical confines of NEJM literature okay and even optimum for you. Yet it is used widely because it is effective for the majority of people and has no significant harms.

But it does have significant harms, demonstrated here, in our culture and our language. "Underweight," "overweight," "obese," "morbidly obese" have vernacular consequences as labels even though they absolutely shouldn't. Like you said, the numbers are always changing, and a person that was overweight then isn't overweight now, and vice versa. The stigma is real and it is preposterous, and that is why I believe it's important to get educated about the standards of this tool, its uses, and most importantly its limits.

I have taken every opportunity to label it as a screening tool and make a disclaimer that where you fall on it merits consideration and not final judgment. This is important and I'll repeat it as many times as necessary, because the lack of awareness of the basic medical concepts of sensitivity and specificity is where all the unnecessary harm comes from. The initial test a doctor does has an increased risk of wrongly labeling you as sick because they use it to catch all the people who are sick, including several who are healthy. This is because later, they can do a more accurate test, probably more invasive, on this reduced population to pick out the ones that actually are sick and release the healthy ones back into the wild. That's because tests are usually either "sensitive" (makes sure it scoops up every abnormal result) or "specific" (makes sure it DOESN'T scoop up every normal result) and we pair them like so to reduce the harm from flat out wrong results, though they do happen.

And you're right about BMI, it is BS. There are plenty of promising biometic tests down the pipeline that are just waiting to supplant it in practice guidelines after they get enough multicenter trials. Waist circumference is already one and is used as a metric in diagnosing metabolic syndrome, while BMI gets left in the dust. There's even promising work on using height/waist ratios and forgoing weight entirely; if that works, it'll be great. But BMI is not BS enough that it's useless, even when faced with these new measures. Misunderstood, definitely. But even for people who are not very very obese, it still has its uses as an inexpensive quantitative measure to screen and track health progress in ways that waist circumference cannot, being vetted for conditions not so associated with central adiposity such as apnea and osteoarthritis. These conditions not specific for non-obese BMI groups? That's fine, but sometimes they are, and you make that determination after you screen.

Anyway, sorry for cluttering up the thread again with a thesis statement, but I believe I'm doing good here. If I pass judgment on people through advocating BMI, then it is in spite of my every effort to distance myself from the social stigma it carries; please believe me when I say I buy none of that and stay away from that when I can. But if I can help even by a little clear up the cobwebs separating medical science and popular fitness, or at least show that I'm trying my very best, I'll be happy. Thank you for engaging with me, correcting me, and helping more clearly define this central issue.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    but I believe I'm doing good here.

Well...

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    bmi is used to measure large swaths out people where a couple statistical deviations are not really impactful. using it as a personal measurement isn't going to work well

anyway, I found a solution to breaking my jump ropes and it was so simple: put tape on the cord

Jars on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    and while were on the subject of vegetables I hate most vegetables so I put them in soups that mask the taste of them. it helps that I like really spicy food

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    bmi is used to measure large swaths out people where a couple statistical deviations are not really impactful. using it as a personal measurement isn't going to work well

Imperfect, easy to perform tests often have double duty as screening tools and as criteria for large volume studies because in each situation grabbing large swathes is key and the statistical deviations can be worked out in post-processing.

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »
    but I believe I'm doing good here.

Well...

Please don't be coy about it, say that I'm not being useful and I'll be gone. I don't want to continue to mess up this thread without purpose or effect.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    You're being useful

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Here is a tip in life.

If you say sorry, but I think I'm right, you aren't actually sorry.

• Options
    Thanks. Usagi, I am sorry if I inferred any legitimacy in claims or evidence that you are not healthy. It's multifactorial, after all, and you are leagues and leagues ahead of where I am in physical and mental health. I am the student, not the teacher. I hope to continue to learn from all of you.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Also you don't necessarily need to bail on a thread just because you made a mistake!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Here is a tip in life.

If you say sorry, but I think I'm right, you aren't actually sorry.

I took a miserable fucking grad class on exercise prescription and a lot of it focused on adherence to health & wellness programs

Here's a tip: he's not wrong, and it's really fucking difficult to talk about shit without offending people concerning health and body image, even if categorically they fall in areas that using BMI is a predictor would put them at risk, same as waist circumference or hip-to-waist ratio or whatever

No easy way to talk about it and the tools used are imperfect but it's what we have and in a clinical and sterile setting far away from angry internet, he's right.

That said, everybody is better off eating healthier food choices, participating in moderate to vigorous activity and exercise, and making a commitment to these lifestyle changes that last longer than a goal weight or a clothing size *which is difficult and hard to do*

If y'all take umbrage with what I've said, too fucking bad. I'm not gonna post in this thread until this discussion has died off

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Also you don't necessarily need to bail on a thread just because you made a mistake!

You're right, I'm not a child, I'm a grown man! I can deal. I can also do wind sprints for 20 minutes tono i can't im a slug

This discussion has been closed.