As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2015 Pre-Pax Drinkies - Done for another year.

feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
edited October 2015 in PAX Australia
Pre Pax Thursday 29th October meetup for drinks.. note this is not official in any way, just a repeat performance.

(as in pretty much an approximation of what we did last year, and the year before...)

Where: Transport at Federation Square
When: 7PM, Thursday 29th October 2015
Map: Heres a map
Hashtag: #paxbeer so you can find us as the night progresses.

Tweeting from @fuzzypredator and @Sweetasdude

Itinerary:

7:00 - 8:30 - Transport (Fed Square)
8:30 - 9:30 - Bartronica - 335 Flinders Lane
9:30 -10:30 - Little Red Pocket - (422 Lt Collins St)
10:30 - The Games Lab - (328 Little Lonsdale St)

All welcome, post here and let us know if you are coming!

Last years thread

posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
feralmaster on

• CarrotTopCarrotTop Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to organise a dinner meetup on thursday, but will deff join after dinner is done, only problem, I don't own a phone (sad but true), how can I find you guys?

• feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    Bring someone that has one.. ;)

I'n all honesty last year we hung around at transport for a while before moving on.
    There has been in the past been a rough itinerary, perhaps this year I'll create one.

Maybe something like: Transport >>> Portland Hotel >>> European Beer Cafe

Kind of depends on numbers...

Thoughts?

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    That second place (I think, I turned up late) had super expensive beer ($10 for a schooner?).

I had one and then headed back to my hotel. :P

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Pricy place - can't find a better/cheaper place? And what of food?

• hickiehickie Registered User new member
    Definitely keen for this @feralmaster met some great people at this last year. Best way to get ready and psyched up with a group of equally keen people and meet up with new peeps to play games with during pax and afterwards.

Well there are better options for cheap grog.. I'm all into 6 dollar pints... I just have a taste for the exotic. Accepting suggestions!

• KramburgerKramburger Registered User regular
    Super keen to come, if the Omegameeting doesn't clash :S

That's great news, the more the merrier.

• bman26bman26 Registered User regular
    I live in Melbourne so can provide some recommendations on food and drinks for the Thursday night & weekend if you'd like?

Sure, go ahead. Starting at transport is nice and central to public transport, so anything after that is subject to consensus.

Any international or interstate people coming? hey @FuzzyPredator you are very quiet this year...

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Melbourne has a couple gaming venues that have bars attached. I would suggest one of those.

Transport is perfect as I'm in the CBD so short walk!

Bartronica is a barcade in the CBD went there on the weekend just gone, pretty good.

Plenty of places to go in the CBD can just provides recommendations on the night

I'll definitely be at Transport from 7.

• WeeMadAndoWeeMadAndo Registered User regular
    I'm arranging an event at Games Lab on Thursday night, which has a bar (Alchemist's Refuge) downstairs. And more good bars (like Horse Bazaar) literally across the street.

Pre-Pax board games will be at Games Lab. It's a good venue.

Sitting at transport now, balmy 30 degrees, live acoustic artist and cold beer. Hopefully in 2 weeks time the weather is the same!

• mouseno4mouseno4 Registered User regular
    I have a attended something like this before, but i felt completely left out because i dont drink alcohol. Yes, i am actually double the legal age, that is not why i dont drink.

It is the reason i just dont attend things like this - being the odd one out that just does not drink anything other than soft drinks tends to alienate me from everyone else. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

mouseno4 wrote: »
    I have a attended something like this before, but i felt completely left out because i dont drink alcohol. Yes, i am actually double the legal age, that is not why i dont drink.

It is the reason i just dont attend things like this - being the odd one out that just does not drink anything other than soft drinks tends to alienate me from everyone else. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

I'll have work the next day so I won't be having a heap, you should definitely come down!

• SuperRoachSuperRoach BallaratRegistered User regular
    Oh god last years one of this was awesome! we all got fairly sober after walking around when most places had closed up.

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    mouseno4 wrote: »

I likely won't be drinking much either, or at all. I don't believe that as a community we would shun anyone who chooses not to drink, or not to drink much. Besides, it's cheaper - and that means more money for cool games!

• SmuffySmuffy Registered User regular
    I can heartily endorse Games Lab as both a gaming and beverage venue.

We're running a trivia night there on the Wednesday, and last year - for the whole week I was down in Melbourne - I basically lived there when I wasn't at PAX or at my friend's house, sleeping. :)

Senno - come to the pre pax board games day at Games Labatory instead.

edited October 2015
    @mouseno4 @Senno You don't need to be on the turps to come along and have a chat with other gamers. There are such things as Moctails and don't feel bad for a second about that.

I sense we should group at Transport as planned and stop in at one or two places on the way to Games Lab. Perhaps with the intention of getting there around 11. @Smuffy @WeeMadAndo who do we need to talk to in order to pre-warn... I fancy cards against humanity...

@SuperRoach Welcome back :biggrin:

@bman26 My wife is preggers with imminently due twins, any time in the first 2 weeks of november, (we have 2 already), so this is my last weekend to go mad then no drinking as I will have to drive the people mover to the hospital....

feralmaster on
    Wish my Gwent decks would arrive before PAX... but i doubt it.

• WeeMadAndoWeeMadAndo Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    @feralmaster Folks will be there from the am, but it'll likely pick up after work. I probably won't arrive until evening.

As for pre-warning? Games Lab is a large venue, and last year for the eve of PAX they had the main floor, event floor and bar floor all open, so... Yeah. Should be fine.

WeeMadAndo on
    @feralmaster and @WeeMadAndo: What Ando said about size of the venue is true, but I seem to recall last year that 2300 was nearing their cut-off time.

Mayhap a Melbournian dropping by and seeing what time they're planning on closing on the Thursday would be a good idea?

Thanks guys, I might wander down one lunch break for a chat. Does anyone have a contact there?

@feralmaster James is the head honcho there, and my contact for the Child's Play trivia night.

He's super approachable and friendly. Also, he has a sommelier's eye for games, and can match you with something you'l be sure to like. :)

Thanks @Smuffy
    I've found a possible in between venue, given the issue raised about budgetary concerns:

https://www.thehappiesthour.com/venues/melbourne/little-red-pocket/

$5 TAP BEER, CIDER, HOUSE WINES & SPARKLING $8 BASIC SPIRITS $15 BEER JUGS $30 CORONA BUCKETS

May I suggest we wear something specific so we know who we are, I was thinking having our badges on us, but I'd hate to lose mine before I even use it. Maybe a geek t-shirt, or a certain colour?

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Geek t-shirts are almost a given.

:P

CarrotTop wrote: »
    May I suggest we wear something specific so we know who we are, I was thinking having our badges on us, but I'd hate to lose mine before I even use it. Maybe a geek t-shirt, or a certain colour?

I'm all for geek t-shirts. I know who I am...
    Geek t-shirts are almost a given.

I'll post a photo of me in here as I leave my house, assuming most people can access on mobile?

I'll probs be wearing my own Youtube channel t-shirt, same as my profile pic here and it's green, my fave colour

Streetoutfit-GTAVC.jpg

Me, I really think no-one noticed the last 2 pax'es

Ima wearing my Star Citizen shirt. Of course.

Likely a star wars / starcraft 2 / legend of Zelda / batman for me

• GumptiongirlGumptiongirl Registered User regular
    Do a great number of trams stop close by? I am arriving in Melbourne on Thursday afternoon and would like to do this

Transport is across the road from Flinders Station as well as a pretty major tram stop :)

• GumptiongirlGumptiongirl Registered User regular
    Thank'ee, I will join in once I drop off the luggage.