As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All I want for Christmas is a shiny new [FFRK] UI update (Live!).

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Man today's plus daily is brutal. Just had a stage where in 3 rounds my whole team started with an empty ATB each round, and ate a Sandstorm each round, plus an AoE Thundaga. Bye bye two medals before I could do anything, and my party is all ~Lv. 59.

You shouldn't automatically lose just because the enemy got to play the game!

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I've only been playing a week, but I'm super pumped to be able to farm gil today. Money has definitely been holding me back. Got a bunch of nice upgrades done and some abilities honed already.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Man today's plus daily is brutal. Just had a stage where in 3 rounds my whole team started with an empty ATB each round, and ate a Sandstorm each round, plus an AoE Thundaga. Bye bye two medals before I could do anything, and my party is all ~Lv. 59.

same as the power/black orbs + daily. heatray! heatray! everyone's dead!

does anyone have a good setup for advantaliating soulcage to death? i have no shame and very little ff9 synergy, so i'm a-ok with it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    The setup I used relied a good bit on having a Hastaga SB, in my case Lunatic High.

Red XIII Full Break/Double Strike Mako Might
    Cloud Retaliate/Armor Break Katana Master
    Zidane Tempo Flurry/Boost Light's Wrath
    Tellah Blindaga/Curaja Double Hit
    Eiko Shelga/Curaga (forget the name, ups cure spells)
    RW Advance

Presuming you aren't obscenely lucky during the opening two rounds, you'll likely be hit by an attack or two which will put your team in the red, hence two healers to bring them up quick. After blinded his AOEs will hit one or two people which can be cured through. Just make sure to do a normal attack with Zidane at some point in the fight for the holy requirement. If you're worried make sure to reapply blind halfway into the fight along with your shells and protects.

Hastaga is important because it lets your mages bring everyone up to full before getting overwhelemed or unlucky. You COULD S/L till all he does is sap for the first few rounds before mitigation is up and blind is applied but that's a lot of luck. An AOE heal should also be able to let you come back quick.

• Options
    I don't have any utility SBs, only damage stuff :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Knight I'll try and figure out what I used I don't have anything crazy. Give me a few.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Knight_ wrote: »
    does anyone have a good setup for advantaliating soulcage to death? i have no shame and very little ff9 synergy, so i'm a-ok with it.
    I'll try to point out the parts of my build that were essential against Soulcage (I used Boon RW instead of Advance RW because I hit soft cap with synergy + dragoon's determination + boost). Note that soulcage is NOT resistant to blind. (Also, if you don't know about ffrk.kongbakpao.com, go check it out; same for the Record Keeper subreddit, which compiles detailed stats and AI on all bosses for every event.) DO NOT bring fire. It's not worth buffing Soulcage by setting him aflame.

My build, changed slightly since you'll need to bring shellga:

Cloud L80 / retaliate r5 / tempo flurry r4 / SOLDIER Strike
    Zidane L50 / steal power r2 / double cut r4 / Zeal
    Sazh L65 / magic breakdown r2 / blindga r2 / Sky Pirate's Pride
    Yuna L65 / protectga r2 / curaga r5 / Light of the Fayth
    Y'Shtola L65 / shellga r2 / armor breakdown r2 / Double Hit

First round: retaliate, steal power, blindga, protectga, shellga
    Second round: Advance RW, magic breakdown, curaga, armor breakdown, double cut (Advance takes longer to cast than double cut).

Blindga is key for its 60% success rate, double that of Dark Strike. Blinding Soulcage takes away most of the damage from Leaf Swirl, and should be the first thing that Sazh does. S/L if it doesn't land first turn.
    If you're falling behind on healing, replace armor breakdown with a second curaga.
    Steal power lasts 20 seconds, but treat it like a breakdown and refresh on every third round (breakdown-action-action-breakdown).
    Depending on your gear and whether you use armor breakdown, Cloud should do about 4.5k-5.5k damage, meaning the fight should take between 43 and 53 advantaliate hits to finish.
    Soulcage is undead, so make sure to toss one heal at him to fulfill the Holy damage condition.
    Note that I assume that Cloud is using a sword - use the appropriate damage up RM for his weapon.
    If you have Thyrus, Vega 42s, Diamond Pin or Lullaby Rod, use the corresponding character (if leveled) with the Mako Might RM.

Daffydd on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hmm, this event seemed easier than usual. Neither of the finishing bosses are really tanks with lots of HP, so Cloud and Squall made short work of them with their SSBs. Boosted Lulu to 50 because she's a very solid BLM, and Tidus as well since I think his MC2 is coming up soon.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Luck had to end sometime. Decided after much deliberation to do an 11 pull with mythril on the new banner and got 1x 4*, the rest 3*. Ouch.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Luck had to end sometime. Decided after much deliberation to do an 11 pull with mythril on the new banner and got 1x 4*, the rest 3*. Ouch.

It's still a good idea to keep those. A twice combined 3* (often referred to as 3++) with realm synergy generally beats a natural 5* without. 4*++ is generally equivalent to a 5* without account of synergy. The rule of thumb is every + is woth half a *, and realm synergy is worth an additional * level.

• Options
    Yeah, I mean, as a new player I'm not sad to have a bunch more 3*, and a bunch of stuff for FFX synergy. I'm kind of overloaded with Swords now, but that's ok too 'cause synergy. But having spent a while debating the merits of the listed pulls and concluding I'd be happy with nearly any of them, not even getting one in eleven tries was kind of a downer.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    yay boss rush cleared. Just a couple sl's on the last boss and oh god that was grindy with only vivi doing magic on the last boss but it couldn't actually hurt me so, eh.

My advance ran out right at the end. I ended up killing him with three 700 damage retaliates. That damn defense curl.

Will try to hit ++/+++ tomorrow so I can move onto the X elite side

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Did a random 100 gem pull because the game has been fun, got Wakka's All-Rounder. Guess he's back on my team for a while.

• Options
    Assuming Rallying Etude is an acceptable substitute to Boost (and really, I hope it is, because casting Boost over and over again, instead of attacking, on both melee attackers is very boring), I think my plan today is to clear the White Power (snort) orb dailies up to Hard, then boost Rallying Etude to R2, then clear that IV Elite that has the bow and get Wakka into my party in place of Amarant. I have a level 30 party, good 5*s and some good synergy 3+ and 2++ items. I think I can make it work with a good selection of friend summon.

Having Terra as my Roaming Warrior with Trance Flood is giving me a decent trickle of gil. Three days ago it was 6 uses, two days ago 12, yesterday over 30.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I think I may have failed horribly there with a party in the 40s and 50s. You need a lot of hones to prevail against Bagian and not run out of gas on Caganazzo.
    You do have a lot better gear than I do though. Good Luck.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I cleared the level 99 last night, but I didn't get Mastery so I need to go back in. Literally every turn the enemy took he attacked Lulu, and I wasn't able to keep up with the healing on her.

I really wish the FFX crew had a character with Knight abilities. Being able to use the Draw Fire ability would be really helpful.

I'm gonna go back into the 99 to grab the Mastery for the lightning orb. I think I'm gonna replace Tidus with P.Cecil.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular

same as the power/black orbs + daily. heatray! heatray! everyone's dead!

From my experience , I had to get lucky that he missed almost all the time when blinded. I brought:

Yuna: Diaga, Shellga (Auto-Protect)
    Vanille: Blindga, Renewing Cure (Auto-Haste)
    Zidane: Double Hit, Magic Break (Flash of Light)
    Edgar: Double Hit, Mental Break (Grim Determination)
    Cloud: Retaliate, Armor Break (Soldier Strike)
    RW: Advance

I brought no physical mitigation to the fight, so had to hope he rarely hit anyone through blind. Diaga usually hit slightly harder than Cloud with Advance, so you could swap it out for something else. I will note I did have a Coral Sword, so I have some synergy benefit you might not. It took maybe 10 tries before I was able to beat him, luckily.

I put auto-haste on Vanille so she could both try to quickly blind him and heal through any Fira's that came out. Yuna starts with Shellga, and then casts Diaga until 50% HP left on Soulcage, and I refresh Advance and Shellga. Zidane and Edgar use breaks and then defend until Cloud is setup for retaliate (I generally refresh breaks and retaliate at the same time.) Cloud starts with Advance, then Retaliate, Armor break x2, Retaliate, armor break x2, retaliate, advance, retaliate, armor break x2 etc)/

I figure you probably have a similar pattern, but the biggest thing is Blind. You need to get that off quickly, since it makes him miss like 90% of his physical attacks. I do not have enough mage gear to even think of trying to nuke him, as my best +mag items are 4* and have something like 65 magic. Against his 600-700 resistance, it's not worth my time to set him on fire so he can hit me even harder through blind.

• Options
    Oh I forgot to post my team for that, it was something like
    RW Advance
    Lenna: Shellga, Curaga (Auto Haste)
    Terra : Blindga, Magic Breakdown (Auto Haste)
    Cloud: Retaliate, Tempo Flurry (Dragoon's Determination)
    Zidane: Double Hit, Armor Break? (Auto Shell)
    Tyro???: Full Break, ??? (Double Hit)

I think I brought Tyro, but I have no idea why or what his other ability was. I probably should have put armor breakdown on him from Terra that way they could all go off sooner. Or haste. It took many many resets to clear.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Assuming Rallying Etude is an acceptable substitute to Boost (and really, I hope it is, because casting Boost over and over again, instead of attacking, on both melee attackers is very boring), I think my plan today is to clear the White Power (snort) orb dailies up to Hard, then boost Rallying Etude to R2, then clear that IV Elite that has the bow and get Wakka into my party in place of Amarant. I have a level 30 party, good 5*s and some good synergy 3+ and 2++ items. I think I can make it work with a good selection of friend summon.

Having Terra as my Roaming Warrior with Trance Flood is giving me a decent trickle of gil. Three days ago it was 6 uses, two days ago 12, yesterday over 30.

I used to get anywhere from 5-15 uses of Edgar as my RW. But the last two days I've gotten none.

Time to change him out I guess.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Just had my first day with Sazh's Boon as my RW where I got zero summons. I suppose I could switch up to Stoneskin 2, but it feels like there's an overabundance of those types of RWs out there, and everyone's already got their set list/amount they want to cycle through.

Maybe I'll go with Death Blossom. Damage all SBs are usually in demand between event phases.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    My dude Kimhari, kicking ass and taking names this event.

• Options
    For the Spherimorph boss (level 90 dungeon) should I be using physical attacks to take it down and just ignore the whole elemental shifting thing? Or do I need to pack two mages and load up with all 4 elements that it rotates?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    For the Spherimorph boss (level 90 dungeon) should I be using physical attacks to take it down and just ignore the whole elemental shifting thing? Or do I need to pack two mages and load up with all 4 elements that it rotates?

I just punched him in the face with cloud until he died. Full Break/Magic Breakdown/Shellga meant he hit for nothing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

Shellga/Magic Break should render its elemental counter attacks pretty useless, and it doesn't have much HP, so just batter it with physical attacks. The only ability you need to worry about is Press, which DOES hurt, but slowing it should help.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    If you time it right, Spherimorph gets caught in an elemental shift and won't Press.

Attack -> Counter Element -> Cast Element Weakness -> Attack -> Repeat

I got hit with Press once since I attacked twice, but that was Mighty Guard nullified.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular

I used carbuncle, so every time I hit or retaliated him, he'd cast blizzard or blizzara and heal himself for like 900. Since I was hitting him for 7k or so, I felt this was a fair trade-off since he never actually hurt me. He ended up never pressing me.

• Options
    The Hard mission on today's Daily was significantly easier than the last couple of days were. Gonna Hone my Etude now!

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Daffydd wrote: »
    I'll try to point out the parts of my build that were essential against Soulcage (I used Boon RW instead of Advance RW because I hit soft cap with synergy + dragoon's determination + boost). Note that soulcage is NOT resistant to blind. (Also, if you don't know about ffrk.kongbakpao.com, go check it out; same for the Record Keeper subreddit, which compiles detailed stats and AI on all bosses for every event.) DO NOT bring fire. It's not worth buffing Soulcage by setting him aflame.

Second round: Advance RW, magic breakdown, curaga, armor breakdown, double cut (Advance takes longer to cast than double cut).

Blindga is key for its 60% success rate, double that of Dark Strike. Blinding Soulcage takes away most of the damage from Leaf Swirl, and should be the first thing that Sazh does. S/L if it doesn't land first turn.
    If you're falling behind on healing, replace armor breakdown with a second curaga.
    Steal power lasts 20 seconds, but treat it like a breakdown and refresh on every third round (breakdown-action-action-breakdown).
    Depending on your gear and whether you use armor breakdown, Cloud should do about 4.5k-5.5k damage, meaning the fight should take between 43 and 53 advantaliate hits to finish.
    Soulcage is undead, so make sure to toss one heal at him to fulfill the Holy damage condition.
    Note that I assume that Cloud is using a sword - use the appropriate damage up RM for his weapon.
    If you have Thyrus, Vega 42s, Diamond Pin or Lullaby Rod, use the corresponding character (if leveled) with the Mako Might RM.

Whew Soulcage+++ done. This strategy worked really well for me

I had:

Cloud L72 / Retaliate R4 / Tempo Flurry R3 / (Bushido Master he had a Katana)
    Zidane L50 / Steal Power R1 / Double Cut R3 / (Soldier Strike)
    Red XIII L50 / Blindaga R1 / Magic Breakdown R1 / (no RM)
    Aerith L50 / Shellga R1 / Curaga R5 / (no RM)
    Y'shtola L58 / Protectga R2 / Armor Breakdown R1 / (Thief's Code)

With all the misses I didn't build up much LB for anyone outside Cloud so I only got one use of Lunatic High (I have the Diamond Pin). Still I managed to squeak by and remembered to use my second to last Curaga on Soulcage for the win condition.

Once you have all the setup done it was relatively easy to maintain, I did have to S/L a couple times to get that early Blindga off but the 60% served me well in keeping it applied. I was a bit concerned though since the Breakdowns/Steal Power were always resisted but it worked out anyways. If it gets resisted is it only partially effectively or nullified completely?

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Ughhh. The Spherimorph opened with Press and then continued to cast it the next 3 turns in a row. My party was dead before I could even get my defenses in place.

• Options

I had:

With all the misses I didn't build up much LB for anyone outside Cloud so I only got one use of Lunatic High (I have the Diamond Pin). Still I managed to squeak by and remembered to use my second to last Curaga on Soulcage for the win condition.

Once you have all the setup done it was relatively easy to maintain, I did have to S/L a couple times to get that early Blindga off but the 60% served me well in keeping it applied. I was a bit concerned though since the Breakdowns/Steal Power were always resisted but it worked out anyways. If it gets resisted is it only partially effectively or nullified completely?

partial, it's just a boss condition. they either resist it or don't resist it. not like a missed break or anything.

i don't remember the exact %s, but it's still useful.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

I had:

partial, it's just a boss condition. they either resist it or don't resist it. not like a missed break or anything.

i don't remember the exact %s, but it's still useful.

Ah ok that makes sense then

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Does this event seem really easy to anyone else? I haven't done sanctuary keeper yet, but spherimorph wasn't even doing triple digits on my team.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    Maytag wrote: »
    Does this event seem really easy to anyone else? I haven't done sanctuary keeper yet, but spherimorph wasn't even doing triple digits on my team.

My X team is much higher in level than my other teams, its not a fair comparison. Spherimorph can be pretty obnoxious if it decides to press.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular

Boost is 20%, Rallying Etude is 15% to all I think. They don't stack.
    Boost is good enough if you're doing retaliate, which is most of the time for me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Just saw a Dungeon Update map for the first time. I'm just about to finish DU2, and there's up through DU14 in the game right now. Holy shit I've a long way to go.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Just saw a Dungeon Update map for the first time. I'm just about to finish DU2, and there's up through DU14 in the game right now. Holy shit I've a long way to go.

good luck doing them between events. I just finished DU4 I barely feel like i have time even when i can clear the normal event side in a session and elite in a day or two. plus it probably doesn't help when i put them off all the time till last minute

initiatefailure on
  • Options

If you want some stamina refreshes, start doing elites from older updates/initial dungeons. LOTS of elite dungeons give 2-3 stamina shards, and those stamina refreshes will definitely help you plow through more dungeons. I think I'm up to DU 9, just doing normals, and I've gained like 20 stamina in less than a week just doing elites in between events, and I'm not even done most of the dungeons, yet. If you've got decent gear, they're also good at getting some character synergies some quick levels.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    If I were a newer player, I think I would clear Dungeons by Dungeon Update, instead of by World, or all Classics, then all Elites.

• Options
    That's how they're unfolding for me, silence; I'm going through the content of each update. I don't have a say in the matter =) I can do elites as the classics are finished, of course.

• Options
    That's how they're unfolding for me, silence; I'm going through the content of each update. I don't have a say in the matter =) I can do elites as the classics are finished, of course.

Well, you could ignore Elite Dungeons until you run out of Classics.

This discussion has been closed.