Options

All I want for Christmas is a shiny new [FFRK] UI update (Live!).

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    That's how they're unfolding for me, silence; I'm going through the content of each update. I don't have a say in the matter =) I can do elites as the classics are finished, of course.

Well, you could ignore Elite Dungeons until you run out of Classics.

I tried that for a long time, then realized what I was missing by not doing elites, especially as even the normal dungeons reached into the 90s in difficulty. The VAST majority of your greater/major black/white/power orbs come from elites, with classics only giving 3*. It makes it much easier to create/hone a lot of the spells you need to clear the more difficult encounters.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    fuuuuck got soulcage to half and was going fine and 2 attacks in a row hit wakka and just barely killed him before i could heal since i was mid-rebuff for 50%. curse this fighttttt

edit: yes got over the 50% hump finally. 3 more attempts flamed out while trying to rebuff ~50 but my team pulled through even when i mishit the refresh on advance because i'm a dummy. got good rng with blinded attacks and lack of fira.

i need to get more auto-haste rms, it's incredibly useful for fights full of bullshit like this. even just the one probably doubled the number of useful attempts i had.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    fuuuuck got soulcage to half and was going fine and 2 attacks in a row hit wakka and just barely killed him before i could heal since i was mid-rebuff for 50%. curse this fighttttt

edit: yes got over the 50% hump finally. 3 more attempts flamed out while trying to rebuff ~50 but my team pulled through even when i mishit the refresh on advance because i'm a dummy. got good rng with blinded attacks and lack of fira.

i need to get more auto-haste rms, it's incredibly useful for fights full of bullshit like this. even just the one probably doubled the number of useful attempts i had.

I'm assuming you already have Zidane's then. Find Luneth in whichever FFIII dungeon he drops in, and throw eggs at him until he's 50. He's got the second one. You won't get the third until they give us Balthier again.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Rift of Recollection is supposedly coming around Christmas, that might be your best chance at a 3rd Auto-haste for a while.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Its tough, looking at the spreadsheets, Aerith, Rinoa, and Paladin Cecil never get a MC1 again. So they are must picks.

Also Magic Hammer *expletive deleted*
    Does it really need to scale with hones?!?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

I'm assuming you already have Zidane's then. Find Luneth in whichever FFIII dungeon he drops in, and throw eggs at him until he's 50. He's got the second one. You won't get the third until they give us Balthier again.

I have luneth at 50, I just don't have his crystal yet. And yes I have Zidanes.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The MC's are the only place I'm tight, choice wise, for the MC event.

The only characters that will have been available in Global that I won't have (or that aren't readily available via story dungeons) are Balthier and Warrior, so I guess eggs for the other 2?

The only MC's that will have been available I won't have are Balthier, P.Cecil, D.Cecil, Garnet, Tidus, and Yuna. I guess if they make Edward available (since they skipped the event he and Mog were supposed to get them), it makes it a bit tougher, but my MC's will probably be Balthier, P.Cecil, Garnet and Tidus. Yuna is coming again in January (as is Tidus, but his MC2 will be in the event, so I'll get the MC too), D.Cecil is coming in Feb, and I never use him anyway. Garnet is coming back Feb-ish too, but I'd rather just get her now

So yeah, as long as they don't introduce any unexpected MC's in the event, I should be good to go with my choices.

Anyway, I'm finally getting around to the IX EX battles and holy fuck soulcage.

There hasn't been a completely RNG based boss like this in an event in a couple months. What a bunch of horseshit. Basically, get up shellga/protectga/blind, and any break/downs before he attacks (or hope he uses mustard bomb) or just s/l. And even then, it's still entirely luck on whether or not his attacks just ignore the fact he's blinded or he feels like spamming fira, and by spamming I mean uses it twice, since even fully protect/shell'd and fully broken, fira (and leaf swirl/blast wave) still do 1-1.5k to everyone.

It's really too bad there are such useful major orbs as rewards because man. Otherwise fuck this.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Its tough, looking at the spreadsheets, Aerith, Rinoa, and Paladin Cecil never get a MC1 again. So they are must picks.

Is this a thing a new player needs to know wtf you're talking about?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Completed, but did not master, soulcage.

And honestly I'm not seeing a viable way of mastering it short of spending hours s/l'ing for the perfect sequence of abilities/misses.

It feels like this fight was set up assuming you're bringing your own SG/SSII, and otherwise fuck you.

If I bring several WHM's to pump out the cures (for firas and the occasional hit from the physical attacks) and SG, I can't do enough damage; cures on him as damage are pitiful, retaliate without advance is pretty crappy, and warrior of lights RM for holy damage only applies to attack, not retaliates or any other abilities. Zidane is dead weight, once he gets off blind he's pretty much useless as he doesn't do much damage and doesn't have that great of a skill selection otherwise.

I might retry with the 3 whm's and advance instead of sg; but that would rely on soulcage rarely using fira, and the 3whm's would be doing nothing but pumping out cures non-stop. It'd be up to zidane and cloud, basically, to do damage. Which isn't ideal either.

What a shitty shitty fight. It's not even hard, it's just utter bullshit luck.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Rius wrote: »

Is this a thing a new player needs to know wtf you're talking about?

To get past level 50 you need a Memory Crystal 1, some of which you get from regular story dungeons, but most of which come from events (there's a MC2 to get past level 65). We're about 5 months behind Japan so we can see who is coming up and who won't be back for half a year. The next event gives 4 blank crystals that you can use on anyone for the first Memory Crystal, so using it on people that you have missed and haven't ever come back in Japan is the best bet.

• Options

And honestly I'm not seeing a viable way of mastering it short of spending hours s/l'ing for the perfect sequence of abilities/misses.

It feels like this fight was set up assuming you're bringing your own SG/SSII, and otherwise fuck you.

If I bring several WHM's to pump out the cures (for firas and the occasional hit from the physical attacks) and SG, I can't do enough damage; cures on him as damage are pitiful, retaliate without advance is pretty crappy, and warrior of lights RM for holy damage only applies to attack, not retaliates or any other abilities. Zidane is dead weight, once he gets off blind he's pretty much useless as he doesn't do much damage and doesn't have that great of a skill selection otherwise.

I might retry with the 3 whm's and advance instead of sg; but that would rely on soulcage rarely using fira, and the 3whm's would be doing nothing but pumping out cures non-stop. It'd be up to zidane and cloud, basically, to do damage. Which isn't ideal either.

I used the build someone posted earlier tweaked a bit.

Vanille: Protectga/Blindga RM: Double Hit
    Eiko: Curaga/Shellga RM: Thief's Code
    Wakka: Full Break/Magic Breakdown RM: Defensive whatever
    Zidane: Tempo Flurry/Steal Power RM: Defensive whatever
    Cloud: Retaliate/Armor Break RM: SOLDIER Strike
    RW: Advance

as long as it didn't fira too many times in a row, it was fairly effective. took me 5 tries past the opening seconds, but mostly due to some screw ups and bad luck. had no synergy outside of vivi's staff i dumped on Eiko just because.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I used the build someone posted earlier tweaked a bit.

Vanille: Protectga/Blindga RM: Double Hit
    Eiko: Curaga/Shellga RM: Thief's Code
    Wakka: Full Break/Magic Breakdown RM: Defensive whatever
    Zidane: Tempo Flurry/Steal Power RM: Defensive whatever
    Cloud: Retaliate/Armor Break RM: SOLDIER Strike
    RW: Advance

as long as it didn't fira too many times in a row, it was fairly effective. took me 5 tries past the opening seconds, but mostly due to some screw ups and bad luck. had no synergy outside of vivi's staff i dumped on Eiko just because.

My setup:
    Cloud: Firaga Blade (this was a backup to burst his last bit of life if needed, did not use) / Retaliate (Haste RM)
    Zidane: Double Hit / Steal Power (Sword+ RM)
    Red XIII: Magic Breakdown / Mental Breakdown (Note: I do have the 5 star pin) (Mako Might RM)
    Hope: Diaga / Shellga (Magic Damage+ RM, a weakness targeter would have been even better probably)
    Vanille: Curaga / Blindga (Haste RM)
    Advance RW

As you can see, there's some not the best choice abilities in there and I didn't really use Synergy. Red XIII's pin is the only unusual bit of equipment in use (Vanille's special limits that I have both of were nice, but completely inessential). I even left Zidane and Red XIII in the front row. It is doable!

Funny story about this party set up though. I had everything prepared... and then realized I had never broken Red's limit. After some research, I realized I was four dungeons away still. So I rushed through those and then waited for the next day on stamina. That day, classic + elite to break his limit (all so he could have Mako Might for the fight). Championed the fight this evening finally.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Got very lucky on Jenova Life Elite and didn't need to S/L. She cast reflect near the end of the battle but Auron in a rare display of critical default SB managed to hold her off one more turn until she died.

Mako Might was finally useful heh.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular

the fight is far easier with either an aoe heal or your own SG.

I killed him twice just to see if he would drop anything useful (nope)

if you have neither, IMO you need to have:

Blind, protecga, shellga, magic bd, curaga/ja possibly full break and sg/ssII RW

so right there is 6 skills out of your 10 allowed which really limits your choices to retaliate without advance. bringing boost, doublecut and armor break.

if you have a better boost like PP or HotE, that helps too.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Kind of loving Monks, or at least Kick, at the moment. Easy to hone with uses comparable to white spells. A quick boost ensures a complete wipe, or at least one extra attack. Having 3 Haste RMs is helping tons in this scenario.

• Options
    So I cleared Jenova LIFE and DEATH elite, but I cannot get through this schizo fight.
    I have him magic broken and shellga up and when they die they both hit for 1-2.5k aoe. Is it physical?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Thank you RNGesus! Kimarhi finally dropped his RM2 after a month and a half of daily dungeons, classic/elite event battles and easy story missions. At half a level from 65 he was getting close to me benching him on priciple.

• Options
    Cloud was the only survivor against Schizo, which meant I got my first novice rating, which means I get to do it again.
    Maybe I've just gone as far as my crap gear can take me. Very frustrating.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    So I cleared Jenova LIFE and DEATH elite, but I cannot get through this schizo fight.
    I have him magic broken and shellga up and when they die they both hit for 1-2.5k aoe. Is it physical?

Did you have SG/Stoneskin up as well?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    No, I was worried about the battle dragging out so I took Advance. Is that another 50% less damage?
    Hmm. Maybe I'll try swapping things around a bit and trying with that.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular

It's magic, but the head clears debuffs before it does the AOE, including break(down)s. So you are going to want to heal up, stack res buffs, and/or have some of your guys defend when one of the heads is going to drop.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    That's obnoxious. Thanks for posting that. How did we figure out it clears its debuffs before casting? I wonder if its time to bring Celes. Her SB stacks with shellga too right?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    That's obnoxious. Thanks for posting that. How did we figure out it clears its debuffs before casting? I wonder if its time to bring Celes. Her SB stacks with shellga too right?

Celes' Runic Blade SB only nullifies certain single-target spells and converts them into charges, I don't think anything Schizo does would be affected by it.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Oh I meant her default, it says it raises resistance.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Oh. I would guess that it does not stack. Usually for two different buffs to stack, they have to apply to different groups of stats. Boost (+ATK) stacks with Advance (+ATK/-DEF) but not with Planet Protector (+ATK). So Magic Shield (+RES) shouldn't stack with Shellga (+RES)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ilpala wrote: »

Celes' Runic Blade SB only nullifies certain single-target spells and converts them into charges, I don't think anything Schizo does would be affected by it.

Magic Shield however ups Res (P.Cecil's rampart does an equivilant Res up AND Def up, not sure if it stacks with Magic Shield) Stoneskin/SG reduce damage to 1/3 of what would be so 66.6%. If you have the hones/power to finish the fight with out advance then those would probably be the better RW to survive the fight, though you'd be in danger of losing out mastery to damage/action taken.

Edit: Either Magic Shield or Rampart DO stack with Shellga and/or SG Stoneskin

Bluecyan on
  • Options
    Actually the point is moot since Celes can't breakdown or support and Cecil can't run Mako Might.

Well I've been looking for an excuse to hone Ruinga to R3.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    As Savant mentioned, Shellga + defending works for the attacks on death. I used advantaliate to kill him, but I needed to use my highest level characters for their HP values and such. You might always consider coming back when you have a little more gear or higher level characters, those can both help.

Any FFVII synergy gear you have can help as well. If you've been playing for a month or so, you might have the Gold Sword which is good for retaliation. Otherwise, give any resistance gear to everyone on your team and have their accessories be +hp or +res if possible.

You could consider bringing Kirin to the fight for AE regen, or looking at Renewing Cure instead of Curaga for the regen to heal up before you kill each head. I think I brought haste to help with speeding up healing use as well.

• Options
    Thanks everyone, managed to get the Gold Chocobo there.
    I did Cloud Retaliate Magic Break
    Lenna Shellga Curaga
    Wakka Boost Magic Breakdown
    Rydia Ruinga Meteor
    Vaan Armor Breakdown Double Cut

Magic broke both heads on my first turn as well as put shellga up. They compensated by casting Quakera every turn. Took a beating on my medals but no one died so that's +3 medals and I got expert/Master. I guess I didn't really expect that thing to be so hard, Classic mode was very easy while the Jenovas were godawful S/L fests.

I thought about Kirin, but the regen from that just doesn't seem to keep up with aoe damage at all anymore.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Thanks everyone, managed to get the Gold Chocobo there.
    I did Cloud Retaliate Magic Break
    Lenna Shellga Curaga
    Wakka Boost Magic Breakdown
    Rydia Ruinga Meteor
    Vaan Armor Breakdown Double Cut

Magic broke both heads on my first turn as well as put shellga up. They compensated by casting Quakera every turn. Took a beating on my medals but no one died so that's +3 medals and I got expert/Master. I guess I didn't really expect that thing to be so hard, Classic mode was very easy while the Jenovas were godawful S/L fests.

I thought about Kirin, but the regen from that just doesn't seem to keep up with aoe damage at all anymore.

Most of the time I only use Kirin for fights where I rely on carbuncle or where I take no healing with me because I plan to blitz down a boss. Sometimes though, it can make enough of a difference while a dedicated healer keeps everyone alive.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    For a fight like that I'd be tempted to make Renewing Cure.

• Options
    For a fight like that I'd be tempted to make Renewing Cure.

I've been using renewing cure almost exclusively instead of curaga these days, especially with dragoon's determination RM. The mathcraft says that as long as you have at least 200 MND on the caster and get at least 3 regen ticks (I think 3), this becomes a better heal than curaga over time.

Of course, this is provided that next attack doesn't kill you before the regen ticks or anything.

• Options
    well damn.... 100 gem draw gave me lulu's hairpin..

it looks like my mage team is going to be:

eiko with her flute as summoner/WM2
    Lulu with hairpin as BM1
    y'shtola with thyrus as WM1
    and a choice of either
    ViVi with oak staff
    Rinoa with Valkyrie
    Hope with his boomerang
    or any other BM

I only have barret and irvines weapon as far as supports go but I could throw one of them in with full break and mental break too

• Options
    That is an insane amount character specific mage gear.

• Options
    That is an insane amount of relics period.
    Also hooray for new classic dungeons! I can put off the scary elites for longer.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited December 2015
    That is an insane amount character specific mage gear.

I have:

Lightning's sword (one from the lightning banner, one from hope's banner, one from lucky draw during orbfest)
    Irvine's gun (lucky draw)
    vaan's dagger (from XII event)
    yoshimitsu (from XIVevent)
    seifer's sword (from pulling for cutting trigger)
    Auron's katana (from X event)
    Kimahri's spear (from X event)
    sabin's fist (from my first pull in VI event)
    Barret's gun (from pulling for organics)
    P.Cecil's Shield (lucky draw)
    edit: forgot gold armor for Leon from sb fest

Rinoa's Valkyrie (pulling for cutting trigger)
    vivi's staff (sb fest)
    garnet's staff (lucky draw)
    Thyrus (from XIV event)
    Golem flute (IX event)
    hope's boomerang (Hope's event)
    aerith's ribbon (100 gem on organics)
    lulu's hairpin (just now)
    edit: forgot lenna's staff from the V event

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah I've actually got a good amount of Mage gear myself. Rune staff, Storm Staff, Sleipnir's Tail, Mystral Staff, Valkyrie, Rising Sun, Full Metal Staff, and Cyclone Grimoire (which I never use because of no Synergy) and Evoker's Horn, Defense Veil and Witch's Hat for armor. Then there's my Dragon Armlet ++ and Dragon Gauntlet that are just baller and add 20 Magic as well as Attack

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    100 gem pull gave me the Thief Blade, which is honestly one of the dumbest looking weapons I've ever seen.

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »
    100 gem pull gave me the Thief Blade, which is honestly one of the dumbest looking weapons I've ever seen.

but infinitly better than a random XII rod.

• Options
    Regarding SB stuff, my mage gear consists of a couple swords and an axe. On the other hand my best melee weapon is a hairpin...

This discussion has been closed.