As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] IB 2.0: My Babar is Ready

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I've gotten at least 2 exotics from nightfall rewards, and they have a chance of dropping at 310

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Depends. Do you like the raid scout rifle? I like mine quite a bit .

I don't think I do, honestly. So maybe I should just use it to infuse. :/

Then it's going to a good cause. I feel the same way about the raid hand cannon. I've gotten two and they're both infusion fuel.
    Also, I don't know about the class item only being vanguard/crucible. When it's unlocked on the item, I've been getting 7 rep for Dead Orbit instead of the customary 5 for doing the basic patrols.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It reinforces a bad play style in Crucible

Crucible almost isn't even about killing opponents as much as dying less than the opponents

ehhhhh

crucible is about what works best for you

work within and find ways to succeed with your level of skill

moreover, you're probably going to die in crucible. it's just going to happen. that is the game type. it less reinforces a bad playstyle as accepts what is a guaranteed inevitability for almost everyone and gives you something to work with extra based on that.

Nah. Crucible really is more about not dying more than the other guys, and staying with your team to kill the other guys... literally all of the game types focus on this. The exception being Rift where the point is to bloat your score by simply carrying the ball as many times as possible, taking the longest route possible to the rift for distance bonuses, and then maybe dunk that ball.

But yeah, a vanilla solo kill is worth 100 points.

A grenade kill is 110 points. unless you're suiciding to get moar grenades quickly... your method is unsound.

A kill with a buddy involved nets your team 150 points.

Also, if you think you're helping your team by try-harding and being 1st across the board lone wolf style? You're giving your opponents an additional 50 points for killing you (plus assist bonus). Even if you take them out alone, it adds up. Especially if you're the match leading player in points on the losing team.

I didn't say anything about being a lone wolf

And you are still going to die. You are. That's the game type. The win without dying badge is ludicrously rare for a reason.

Voidfang has a legitimate playstyle that works with this death and gives you a nice perk based around it based on the individual skill level and preferences of its user.

Nothing youve said refutes that.

Crucible is more about not dying more than the other guys, and staying with your team to kill the other guys. Nothing you've said refutes that either; because I'm merely stating the fundamental scoring mechanic for the majority of the Crucible game types.

That said, perhaps I misinterpreted your phrase "find ways to succeed with your level of skill:" where I assumed you meant "win games" and/or "thrive/not die a lot." As those are the general hallmarks of success in a competitive PVP environment. What did you mean by "succeed with your level of skill", if not that?

I'm at a loss as to a scenario where dying in a high enough quantity to promote "constantly respawning with grenades" as a legitimate playstyle can possibly outweigh improving your survival rates. Perhaps Zone Control (where you only get points for holding zones), but that wasn't in Year 1? Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting what this playstyle you're referring to is too?

I don't think you're referring to tossing a grenade before you die every time because that's hardly a playstyle that would warrant explicitly gearing for it... unless your uptime is actually less than your grenade refresh time which likely means you're giving up more points to the enemy than you are putting on the board and such. But yeah. What is "Voidfang style?"

Lastly, the tryhard/lone wolf remark is in reference to the times people talk about getting 1st overall but still losing.

edit: it should also be noted that "not dying more" and "not dying at all" are two completely different things. Unless you grossly outmatch your opponents, outgear them with broken weapons, or simply cheat... you will die in the crucible.

As a Void Warlock, the gear currently on offer is not all that exciting in crucible; personally I'd rate it above Claws of Ahamkara and Obsidian Mind, while Heart of the Praxic Fire and Starfire Protocol are both Sunwalker chest pieces anyway.

Light Beyond Nemesis is obviously better in elimination type rounds, but in games like control, "you" don't actually get anything extra like you do with Voidfang. You are going to die, and you will be grateful for having a grenade upon spawning.

Things will probably get interesting once Astrocyte Verse appears.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

Crucible almost isn't even about killing opponents as much as dying less than the opponents

ehhhhh

moreover, you're probably going to die in crucible. it's just going to happen. that is the game type. it less reinforces a bad playstyle as accepts what is a guaranteed inevitability for almost everyone and gives you something to work with extra based on that.

Nah. Crucible really is more about not dying more than the other guys, and staying with your team to kill the other guys... literally all of the game types focus on this. The exception being Rift where the point is to bloat your score by simply carrying the ball as many times as possible, taking the longest route possible to the rift for distance bonuses, and then maybe dunk that ball.

A grenade kill is 110 points. unless you're suiciding to get moar grenades quickly... your method is unsound.

Also, if you think you're helping your team by try-harding and being 1st across the board lone wolf style? You're giving your opponents an additional 50 points for killing you (plus assist bonus). Even if you take them out alone, it adds up. Especially if you're the match leading player in points on the losing team.

And you are still going to die. You are. That's the game type. The win without dying badge is ludicrously rare for a reason.

Voidfang has a legitimate playstyle that works with this death and gives you a nice perk based around it based on the individual skill level and preferences of its user.

Crucible is more about not dying more than the other guys, and staying with your team to kill the other guys. Nothing you've said refutes that either; because I'm merely stating the fundamental scoring mechanic for the majority of the Crucible game types.

That said, perhaps I misinterpreted your phrase "find ways to succeed with your level of skill:" where I assumed you meant "win games" and/or "thrive/not die a lot." As those are the general hallmarks of success in a competitive PVP environment. What did you mean by "succeed with your level of skill", if not that?

I'm at a loss as to a scenario where dying in a high enough quantity to promote "constantly respawning with grenades" as a legitimate playstyle can possibly outweigh improving your survival rates. Perhaps Zone Control (where you only get points for holding zones), but that wasn't in Year 1? Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting what this playstyle you're referring to is too?

I don't think you're referring to tossing a grenade before you die every time because that's hardly a playstyle that would warrant explicitly gearing for it... unless your uptime is actually less than your grenade refresh time which likely means you're giving up more points to the enemy than you are putting on the board and such. But yeah. What is "Voidfang style?"

Lastly, the tryhard/lone wolf remark is in reference to the times people talk about getting 1st overall but still losing.

edit: it should also be noted that "not dying more" and "not dying at all" are two completely different things. Unless you grossly outmatch your opponents, outgear them with broken weapons, or simply cheat... you will die in the crucible.

Well the trick is realizing that promoting a respawn with grenades playstyle isn't mutually exclusive to learning how to survive better.

Just because you want grenades on respawn doesn't mean you want to respawn all the time. It just means you've realized death is a part of the game and that when you die, you want to spawn with grenades.

• Options
    DajoranDajoran Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »
    At least you can trade materials for faction rep. That's where all my Motes of Light have been going.

I'm actually considering running a few Crota/Atheon sessions just to build up my Mote storages. At least while the speaker still is dealing in Shard laundering.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

ehhhhh

Well the trick is realizing that promoting a respawn with grenades playstyle isn't mutually exclusive to learning how to survive better.

Just because you want grenades on respawn doesn't mean you want to respawn all the time. It just means you've realized death is a part of the game and that when you die, you want to spawn with grenades.

I take it you're a member of Dead Orbit, aren't you? :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I know the instant I cash in all my shards they'll be brought back for something.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Any word on if the FireFly bug is still causing crashes? I haven't been using my handcannon for fear of it.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    rndmhero wrote: »
    metaghost
    Fawst
    vagrant_winds
    Cormac
    Vorpal

https://www.the100.io/gaming_sessions/358095

Somehow missed this til just now. I was going to say, I probably wouldn't be able to make it as Friday nights are usually game night at my friend's house. I happened to be home this past Friday because I was sick. Glad the spot was filled! I'll join a reserve, just in case.

Edit: oh hell, removed the @ symbols. Sorry for the notices.

Fawst on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well I'm glad the strike has arcburn since I just got a 310 zalo this morning!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    And I got my chaperone this morning. So another day of awesome for the preach.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Depends. Do you like the raid scout rifle? I like mine quite a bit .

I don't think I do, honestly. So maybe I should just use it to infuse. :/

If you really don't like it, just infuse it into something you do.

It's what I did with my raid hand cannon. 304 Hung Jury is the bomb.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Does literally every exotic weapon quest require crucible?

I think maybe I'm done with this.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Dajoran wrote: »
    awsimo wrote: »
    At least you can trade materials for faction rep. That's where all my Motes of Light have been going.

I'm actually considering running a few Crota/Atheon sessions just to build up my Mote storages. At least while the speaker still is dealing in Shard laundering.

I'd love to do an Old Raid Night just for the fun of it-- see how quickly we can blow through VoG and CE at 300+ Light, then split the team and race to kill Skolas afterwards. Maybe next week when everyone isn't preoccupied with Iron Babar.

I do not look forward to Oracles again though, ugh.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Only the sword and chaperone I believe oh and the cursed word or whatever the arma dude rank gun is.

Sword isn't that bad, I mean on a control map with tight corners you can easily get at least 5 maybe 6 kills a game. Chaperone is a bit harder but every class has at least one op get at least 3 kills a super build, so just wait for your super, throw on the last word and then rack up the bodies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Thorn was way harder back in the day, yeah the losing condition was less, but you had to get kills with void and as a hunter that meant special or heavy and that shit sucked.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Gaderin and I had pretty great success feeding each other sword kills in the mayhem fight. You can two hit kill a person without the ammo, so that was pretty fun times.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I plowed through the PVP sword kills in Mayhem, averaged 3-4 kills per, usually. A few matches I racked up 6 or 7 with some luck.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thorn was way harder back in the day, yeah the losing condition was less, but you had to get kills with void and as a hunter that meant special or heavy and that shit sucked.
    For me it meant "Oh man, thank god I got a Word of Crota on my first run of that raid"

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Even having finished it, the Chaperone quest is bullshit. We'll see if I can shove my way through the First Curse one once I hit rank 5 this week. I only got the Chaperone done by way of playing Mayhem Clash where I could have constant shotgun ammo and go palpatine on some fools. You play Titan, right @OptimusZed? Hammerbro to victory next time Mayhem rolls around. The key is getting 4+ kill streaks and not dying *too* much. And I am the king of dying, so.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    For me it meant "Oh man, thank god I got a Word of Crota on my first run of that raid"

Heh I did my thorn when crota wasn't out. I later got the atheon's epilogue, but I finished the quest with just a blue shotgun and a heavy, so many control matches, SO MANY!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    It really annoys me that the app and the tracker websites do not list specific stats and perks for vendor armor. I mean, the vendors don't change their stock, so why can't the app tell me what the stats and perks are on whatever arm pieces Shax is selling? Instead I get the generic stat/perk possible rolls listed.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

No Thorn was easier for sure. You need to remember fusions were still great at that time AND they hadn't annoyingly limited special ammo. So I would go like 15-7 in Rumble easily, all with a regular off the shelf Void fusion. Nerfing TLW and then requiring its use was just a dick move.

But I'm on the shotgun part now. It's bizarre what a downslope in difficulty this chain has.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Ive been completely wrecking shit with Susanoo

Fusions aren't perfect but they're not in a bad place, imo, for crucible.

• Options

I'm hoping my FWC V-somethingorother Fusion and my Thesan will do better after the shotty nerf.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular

To be fair, the Susanoo is friggin awesome. Warlocks really got the best weapons from the Gunsmith faction quests.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

Me and my Susanoo (and Ruin Wake) finally killed that god damned yellow bar Centurion that spawns in the Mausoleum when an enemy conflict event happens. That bastard was an absolutely ridiculous amount of health. Especially for being level 36. I think I emptied 4 full drums of Ruin Wake ammo into him, plus two full inventories of FR ammo via Susanoo (in Solar mode), and two supers' worth of the solar grenades that do seekery things. But I got a blue engram out of it so yay.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Celian wrote: »

To be fair, the Susanoo is friggin awesome. Warlocks really got the best weapons from the Gunsmith faction quests.

Tlaloc is nifty, but pretty situational. It's outclassed by other Scouts anytime you don't have full super. It really strikes me as a PVP gun.

• Options

Me and my Susanoo (and Ruin Wake) finally killed that god damned yellow bar Centurion that spawns in the Mausoleum when an enemy conflict event happens. That bastard was an absolutely ridiculous amount of health. Especially for being level 36. I think I emptied 4 full drums of Ruin Wake ammo into him, plus two full inventories of FR ammo via Susanoo (in Solar mode), and two supers' worth of the solar grenades that do seekery things. But I got a blue engram out of it so yay.

Marion the Centurion?

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

Only the sword and chaperone I believe oh and the cursed word or whatever the arma dude rank gun is.

Sword isn't that bad, I mean on a control map with tight corners you can easily get at least 5 maybe 6 kills a game. Chaperone is a bit harder but every class has at least one op get at least 3 kills a super build, so just wait for your super, throw on the last word and then rack up the bodies.

The First Curse quest isn't nearly as annoying (so far, from what I have heard) as we were led to believe. The first part of it you do in PvE, yes getting a "kill streak" in PvE is odd nomenclature, but Bungie be Bungie. And the Crucible part is like 6 precision kills in a match with the weapon? That's harder but I figure I will get it through attrition and luck eventually. What's more annoying is that it takes a potential 3 weeks to get it depending on when you start the quest because of having to wait on Armsdays.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Tlaloc is nifty, but pretty situational. It's outclassed by other Scouts anytime you don't have full super. It really strikes me as a PVP gun.

That actually makes it perfect if you're a sunsinger who holds super for oh shit time

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Man, never enough weapon parts. Do strikes and court runs and I still just run out.

Just let me swap some of my hundreds of armor mats for weapon parts! Or, better yet, let me swap my Wormspore! That shit drops like rain.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Silver is up for sale on the storefronts, 500 for $5, 1100 for $10, and 2300 for $20

• Options
    squall99x wrote: »

The First Curse quest isn't nearly as annoying (so far, from what I have heard) as we were led to believe. The first part of it you do in PvE, yes getting a "kill streak" in PvE is odd nomenclature, but Bungie be Bungie. And the Crucible part is like 6 precision kills in a match with the weapon? That's harder but I figure I will get it through attrition and luck eventually. What's more annoying is that it takes a potential 3 weeks to get it depending on when you start the quest because of having to wait on Armsdays.

Yeah I recall its not as hard as people thought it would be. 6 precision kills isn't that bad like in a control or rift match. Well depending on how good the white gun they give you is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Destiny just went offline. The irritable bazooka cometh.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

That actually makes it perfect if you're a sunsinger who holds super for oh shit time

Yeah I found most of my warlock raid experience to be hold on to that super for basically ever. New stuff is kinda nice because stormcaller is a pretty great add clearer in a few of the encounters for new raid so I'm not locked into one role the entire time. I like my badder juju too much to not use it, but I know I have a decent gun in the reserves for that.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

Yeah I recall its not as hard as people thought it would be. 6 precision kills isn't that bad like in a control or rift match. Well depending on how good the white gun they give you is.

It's basically impossible for me. That's just not a way I succeed at this game.

I got the sword stuff done in 3 mayhem matches because that's just zerking around the map smashing people. No problem.

Half a dozen headshot kills in one match? That's crazytalk. Not very happy to hear about that requirement.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Oh, cool, didn't realize Eververse was coming today, too.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

For some things. I'd totally rock it for sustained DPS on a boss if I'm out of Sniper ammo, but for trash I'd rather use my Tuonela w/ Firefly to weaken groups at a time. And groups are far more common than bosses.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Silver is up for sale on the storefronts, 500 for $5, 1100 for $10, and 2300 for $20

In real money:
    £3.99 for 500
    £7.99 for 1100
    £15.99 for 2300

PSN: Holy-Promethium