As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain Power and the [chat]ters of the Future

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Time to move to korea and joint SKT1

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I actually like Carol but I think her new costume is dumb.

Which isn't some sort of ringing endorsement of the swimsuit costume.

But I don't have to like either costume, it's not like "YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE". Newp. I don't have to like either: try harder, Marvel.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Time to move to korea and joint SKT1

do you think they'll let me move around without papers

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

But I don't have to like either costume, it's not like "YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE". Newp. I don't have to like either: try harder, Marvel.

You're not a fan of her headsock?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    watching some DA shit because idk

I kinda wish I finished my femelf playthrough because the Solas romance is so brutal for an rpg romance

it's the opposite of early Bioware romances

I really was not that interested in the game at first because of how generic the plot felt

Playing as an elf sort of flips that whole thing on its head, it really changes the thematic emphasis of so many parts of the story

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Don't be shy to ask me any questions regarding ANYTHING. I'm open minded, & won't judge anyone. If I could tell you one thing about my life, it's that I've been through it all - emotionally, physically, mentally & spiritually through all the traumas & conflicts, which have sculpted me into the driven & motivated individual that I am today.

--the FAQ of a 20-year old who streams Runescape on twitch

I have questions for this person.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    I don't mean to brag, but after how tough of a week I've had work-wise I'm already having a weekend to make up for it.

I have a phone number I might need to try out tomorrow night. I hope all of the rest of you are doing twice as well as I feel right now.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Sopor Aeternus? y/y?

Apothe0sis ohhh that is creepy! I like it!

The musical range is diverse and gothy.

Also, not to stereotype but Sopor Aternus is trans I believe

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    watching some DA shit because idk

I kinda wish I finished my femelf playthrough because the Solas romance is so brutal for an rpg romance

it's the opposite of early Bioware romances

I really was not that interested in the game at first because of how generic the plot felt

Playing as an elf sort of flips that whole thing on its head, it really changes the thematic emphasis of so many parts of the story

I played as a dwarf atheist who flat out lied to the humans to get them to do what had to be done, and Solas had some great dialogue with me on that front

It's not what was true, or what I believed, but what was necessary for them to believe for any of them to survive
    Second time, a human who was utterly convinced that this was all part of Andraste's plan - an absolute true believer

it made for a surprising number of conversational differences

I am very glad for playthrough 2 I ran a bunch of mods that basically cut out 100% of the resource gathering and busywork

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    MrMister wrote: »
    Don't be shy to ask me any questions regarding ANYTHING. I'm open minded, & won't judge anyone. If I could tell you one thing about my life, it's that I've been through it all - emotionally, physically, mentally & spiritually through all the traumas & conflicts, which have sculpted me into the driven & motivated individual that I am today.

--the FAQ of a 20-year old who streams Runescape on twitch
    MrMr you are a magnet for the weird things people say on the internet.

Coinage on
  • Options
    Alazull wrote: »
    I don't mean to brag, but after how tough of a week I've had work-wise I'm already having a weekend to make up for it.

I have a phone number I might need to try out tomorrow night. I hope all of the rest of you are doing twice as well as I feel right now.

Yay phone numbers! Rad!

I am....well...I sm at least better than I have been in a LONG time. I don't know if I'm doing BETTER than anyone, but my life has certainly improved.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ugh why even link captain marvels that aren't carol danvers

even for a joke

whoa hold the phone

Monica Rambeau (black Captain Marvel, on the left here) was great and led the Avengers for a few years

of course they depowered her and forgot about her for like a decade after that because patriarchy etc but she was, in 1985, exactly the kind of positive representation that people in 2015 wish we had more of

AvengersV1-276.jpg

I love Monica in Nextwave but have no experience with her in the 80s stuff and honestly don't know if I can bear to go back and look at it

idk man the 80s wasn't a foreign country and mass market comics creatively wasn't hugely more restricted than comics today. it's not like going back to the 50s or whatever

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Sopor Aeternus? y/y?

Apothe0sis ohhh that is creepy! I like it!

The musical range is diverse and gothy.

Also, not to stereotype but Sopor Aternus is trans I believe

Yeah.

I decided to read the wiki page, and yeah she is trans. Cooool!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

even for a joke

whoa hold the phone

Monica Rambeau (black Captain Marvel, on the left here) was great and led the Avengers for a few years

of course they depowered her and forgot about her for like a decade after that because patriarchy etc but she was, in 1985, exactly the kind of positive representation that people in 2015 wish we had more of

AvengersV1-276.jpg

I love Monica in Nextwave but have no experience with her in the 80s stuff and honestly don't know if I can bear to go back and look at it

idk man the 80s wasn't a foreign country and mass market comics creatively wasn't hugely more restricted than comics today. it's not like going back to the 50s or whatever

Just skip Avengers #200

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Just remember that we can use worship as a warship, and winners and sinners are one in the same.

https://youtu.be/ID8oBR82nnw

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

even for a joke

whoa hold the phone

AvengersV1-276.jpg

maybe I'll check them out if I ever pick up a marvel unlimited subscription

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    err wait 2 and 3, thats right I did do an elf game, I romanced Sera hoping to get some character development out of her
    I didn't

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I like how in Grand Budapest the more modern sections are in widescreen and the old timey sections are in 4:3

IqC4AqG.gif
    UDQkq1N.jpg?1

One thing I wonder about sometimes is what, if anything, are the inherent qualities of different aspect ratios. What did we lose in the switch over to widescreen? What did we gain?

In Grand Budapest the old timey sections definitely feel warmer and cozier than the more modern sections - I'm sure a lot of that is because of the sets and lighting and story etc, but I wonder if there is something inherently cozier about 4:3. 4:3 kind of forces more emphasis on characters - if you do a closeup in 4:3 you basically don't see anything but the character's face - if you do a closeup in widescreen the character is swimming in empty space, and isn't that empty space a little isolating?

On the other hand I think widescreen lends an air of grandeur that 4:3 doesn't have.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

You're not a fan of her headsock?

I think the costume is a weird sort of borderline. Like, it can look really good

MS-MARVEL_CAPTAIN-MARVEL_CAROL-DANVERS_MARVEL-STUDIOS_BANNER_.png

^ This looks great

This doesn't

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Wq0PCjtxAssAQ1nazu4MAP6TTZA=/0x90:659x461/1600x900/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/42913864/captain-marvel-ms-marvel.0.0.jpg

Linked because it's big.

So the costume is always going to look bad or good depending on the the level of detail and the artist, whereas a good costume still looks pretty good even in a less detailed/realistic drawing.

Not really a fan, sad to say.

And that's not even bringing her new mask into it, which looks awful beyond words and why they felt the need to change her mask I have no freaking idea. Her mask was fine, nearly iconic. Why. Just why?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Wash wrote: »
    In his later films I think he hasn't abandoned his style - people who hate that 70s vibe and Elliot Smith soundtracks and stuff are still gon get mad - but he's gotten a better grip on storytelling and not letting the style dominate the movie at the expense of everything else.

I feel the complete opposite of this.

@Wash huh! I feel like Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest were more tonally consistent movies than Life Aquatic or even Tenenbaums/Rushmore (which I love, but take big swerves). Like, they're both kind of bittersweet fairy tales that start out with big casts of broad, cartoonish characters who kind of gradually emerge from the background into fully-realized human beings by the end.

It's a rhythm that seems to work for him and certainly works for me

• Options
    edited October 2015
    A Single Man is super depressing although ironically it kind of makes me want to live in the 50s early 60s even though the whole point is that the 50s early 60s sucked

because I mean look at how stylin' Colin Firth looks though

6Kk4yak.jpg

and look at how stylin' his midcentury modern house is

eRs0Al6.jpg?1

wandering on
  • Options
    Alazull wrote: »

Yay phone numbers! Rad!

I am....well...I sm at least better than I have been in a LONG time. I don't know if I'm doing BETTER than anyone, but my life has certainly improved.

Well then, a toast to your continued happiness.

Imagine me clinking a tumbler full of bourbon to the screen, which may or may not have actually happened.

It is not a contest, just a wish I have for everyone.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    it's sad because I think Sera had some huge potential for character development, there's some events that happen that shake her to her core but after them? nothing

not like Morrigan whos character development is fantastic and Claudia Black sells the fuck out of it when shit goes down with her in act 3

she's still Morrigan, she's still selfish, but she's definitely had a ton of character growth since Origins

override367 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hello chums

My friends are now successfully married

Victory

• Options
    Moonrise kingdom is a priceless gem

I thought about it just now and died

• Options
    I think the thing with the Captain Marvel costume is that it has elements (like the high collar) that suggest a real outfit made of real fabric but the drawing kind of treats it like a texture to be painted onto a bodysuit rather than clothing with mass and volume

but that's fine because it's going to be in a movie. It'll look terrific in a movie with basically no alterations required.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    A Single Man is super depressing although ironically it kind of makes me want to live in the 50s even though the whole point is that the 50s sucked

because I mean look at how stylin' Colin Firth looks though

6Kk4yak.jpg

and look at how stylin' his midcentury modern house is

eRs0Al6.jpg?1

Who cares if your life is a void if you can lean back in your Eames chair in your midcentury house

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Dragon Age had momements of brilliance but was extra strength lacklustre for the most part as I experienced it

• Options
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    While debating the current draft our constitution, we've reached consensus on the 1st Amendment:

A well constructed death box being necessary to the security of a free colony, the right of the people to operate and repair .50 caliber machine gun emplacements shall not be infringed.
    rise-of-romney.jpg

Construction of a death box apparatus has now begun, to satisfy the requirements of this amendment.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I wish Inquisition had been shorter and more focused

the story content is mostly really good, the side content is garbage

I hope Bioware played Witcher 3 because that's how you fucking do side quests

• Options
    I think the thing with the Captain Marvel costume is that it has elements (like the high collar) that suggest a real outfit made of real fabric but the drawing kind of treats it like a texture to be painted onto a bodysuit rather than clothing with mass and volume

but that's fine because it's going to be in a movie. It'll look terrific in a movie with basically no alterations required.

I do think it will look awesome as a real life costume. See the top image in my post. When it's drawn like an actual suit it looks killer.

It doesn't look good in the more simplistic comic book shorthand drawing though.

Hence my not liking it.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I was one of the groom's bros and also on keg delivery duty

This is good way to ensure everyone likes you

Also I overcame my general quiet descness to deliver a spiel during speechy toast time which contained several well-relieved hits like:

- pantomiming receiving a text from Martin telling me they were getting married and typing "yeah duh finally delete delete delete congratulations" (big laffos)

- quoting an author's essay I read a year ago that being married for ten years is like running a small business together every day in the best way possible (big awws because they have a dog walking/sitting business together)

TL;DR I am the best, have me at your wedding

desc on
  • Options
    What is the term for that

Groomsmen?

If it's bridesmaids on one side it should be groomsbutlers on the other

• Options
    edited October 2015
    desc I would like you to host my wedding please

Neco on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    desc wrote: »
    I was one of the groom's bros and also on keg delivery duty

This is good way to ensure everyone likes you

Also I overcame my general quiet descness to deliver a spiel during speechy toast time which contained several well-relieved hits like:

- pantomiming receiving a text from Martin telling me they were getting married and typing "yeah duh finally delete delete delete congratulations" (big laffos)

- quoting an author's essay I read a year ago that being married for ten years is like running a small business together every day in the best way possible (big awws because they have a dog walking/sitting business together)

TL;DR I am the best, have me at your wedding

When my best friend got engaged, he phoned me in the middle of the night to let me know.

Since I was asleep at the time, I think my response was a very confused "what? um, okay then".

I did phone him back the next morning to check that he really did phone me to tell me he's engaged, and also congratulate him.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

I now pronounce you man and Shelley Duvall

• Options

I now pronounce you man and Shelley Duvall
    you may now chase the bride with an axe

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    What is the term for that

Groomsmen?

If it's bridesmaids on one side it should be groomsbutlers on the other

Ushers.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Ive got a rather large pimple on my chin

oooooow

This discussion has been closed.