Options

The First Democratic Presidential Debate - Jim Webb Officially Shutting Up

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Martin O'Malley would like to win while being a dick to old people. Biden in particular, but old people in general as well. Smooth move, O'Malley.
    O'Malley wrote:
    UlG30XQ.jpg?1

EDIT: Oh god that was smaller on my phone

My Zeta Gundam alarm went off sometime yesterday, and I've spent all this time trying to figure out what triggered it.

Regardless of the context of this image, I approve.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    *shrug*

It's not like they coordinate this stuff. I'm sure Chafee will drop out in due time.

Webb was only really campaigning for, like, 10 minutes.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    TheSmacker wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Webb's concession is awful.
    I don't get the Webb hatred. Ok, he's a bad democrat candidate for president (if you are a liberal) considering the other candidates, but why care?

For me it's less his policies and more that he inflicted infantile whining upon me in the debate.

He really did no favors complaining about his lack of time in the debate every time he did get a chance to talk. If you are polling at around 1% then yes the two people who are the main runners are going to get a lot more talking time than you. Use the debate to gain momentum and get more time in the next debate. People hate whiners especially if you are going to run on the platform he was running on.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    "He's not only a great hero, he's an honorable and decent man, and he has the courage to vote his conscience," Biden gushes in the latest installment of the White House-produced audio series "Being Biden." "And he’s my friend."
    “I actually like Dick Cheney for real,” Vice President Joe Biden says at moderated discussion with former Vice President Walter Mondale at George Washington University.
    "I really respect the members up there and I still have a lot of Republican friends. I don't think my chief enemy is the Republican Party. This is a matter of making things work," Biden said.
    "I don't consider Republicans enemies," Biden said. "They're friends."
    For the second time this week, Biden also sought to portray himself as a pragmatist who’s capable of working with Republicans, drawing a subtle contrast with party front-runner Clinton.

Hmmm....I think I figured out why Obama kept trying to work with the Republicans for so long.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Uncle Joe, I was hoping the dementia would take a bit longer to kick in...

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Clinton starts looking better by the minute to Uncle Joe. *sigh*

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What's all the fuss about? Is Biden actually running?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

No. But he's wallowing in the attention, and making a fool of himself.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    He's going full Galba*. You never go full Galba.

*Roman Emperor, immediate successor to Nero. Thought to be wise and capable, turned out to be unnecessarily harsh and something of a tightwad, was assassinated seven months later. Ancient historians say everyone agreed he'd make a good emperor, until he became emperor.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Biden is going to announce he is NOT running.

Obama would not want Biden to announce his candidacy from the Rose Garden, especially not if Obama is attending the presser - Obama might endorse Joe over Hillary at some point before the primaries, but not from day one. There is no reason for that.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

On Monday, Biden said he would announce a final decision within 48 hours. I think that deadline's actually (just) passed, but presumably he'll say something soon.

Rumors are that he is actually running. He's been talking to people about a run, and they've gone and told the media that he is absolutely planning on running. Take that with a grain of salt, these are just random congresspeople and union reps, not any actual employees of Biden. On top of that, he's been acting really bizarre the last few days, with suddenly getting all buddy buddy with Republicans, attacking Hillary, and trying to bolster his own reputation (re: pretending he personally put a bullet between bin Laden's eyes).

We should know what's going on within a few hours, but either way Biden's actions are really bizarre. Planning a run in general is stupid, planning a run in this particular way is stupid, acting this way if he's not trying to run is stupid.

Hence my comment earlier that the most reasonable assumption is that Biden's been replaced with a GOP drone.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Boy, it's amazing how fast I can go from "I like Joe Biden. He's got some stuff I disagree with but generally alright" to "Oh god no Joe why. Whyyyyy"

My opinion on him has cratered in like 3 days. That might be a record.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    @NateSilver538: Shocked, shocked that the anonymous "insider sources" the media relied on to gossip about Biden running proved to be totally wrong.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Good, now we can focus on people who are running.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Wow, didn't take much for people to turn on Biden.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Good, now we can focus on people who are running.

What about the Joe Biden on Earth 2 who decided that he is running? A wormhole between our worlds could open at any minute! Will this Reverse Biden disrupt Clinton's march to the White House? A new CNN poll reports.....

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Biden won't run. But what does this mean for Biden's numbers? Stay tuned for continuing coverage!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Well as a democrat saying "Republicans are our friends not our enemies" in 2015 is sure as fuck to sour democrats on your anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    I heard Al Gore might run...

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Hey, Biden NOT running is taking some media attention away from Hillary's Benghazi testimony tomorrow. So maybe this was a little calculated. I mean, it won't completely stop coverage but a few hours today is something, right?

• Options
    This is bad news for hillary, I mean every poll shows her mega losing to Trump when Biden isn't there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Personally I consider potentially screwing up the primary and general elections to be a bit much.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Don't worry, the media pollsters won't stop polling him.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    At this point Republicans are going to have to be the ones to extend an olive branch. Democrats (Obama specifically) did this repeatedly only to have the branch ripped out of their hands and get flogged with it.

When it's obvious one side isn't acting in good faith, people don't want to see the rational side that's been trying to reach across the aisle pretend that they are. Myself included.

• Options
    First decent thing Biden's done this week.

• Options
    I now expect Wolf Blitzer to start the "Time Until Biden Can Change His Mind" countdown.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Preacher wrote: »

Well as a democrat saying "Republicans are our friends not our enemies" in 2015 is sure as fuck to sour democrats on your anything.

They're real people, not a homogenous, faceless enemy a democrat must hate. If saying that is a sin of the highest order, than lol. American and German soldiers in the trenches showed a better understanding of mutual humanity.

Frankiedarling on
  • Options

It is when he fucks up this badly.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Boy, it's amazing how fast I can go from "I like Joe Biden. He's got some stuff I disagree with but generally alright" to "Oh god no Joe why. Whyyyyy"

My opinion on him has cratered in like 3 days. That might be a record.

I never liked him much for his record on the financial industry. I know a lot of people excused him because he represented Delaware, and that state's business model is based on making itself attractive to the bottom feeders of the financial and corporate world.

Never found that a particularly compelling rationale.

• Options

They're real people, not a homogenous, faceless enemy a democrat must hate. If saying that is a sin of the highest order, than lol. American and German soldiers in the trenches showed a better understanding of mutual humanity.

What the hell are you talking about? We're not murdering German soldiers in trenches.

Saying Republicans are the enemies of the Democratic party is correct. If you don't think so, I'm not sure what rock you've been hiding under for the past 8 years.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Have you seen what the GOP politicians have done to our government? What they continue to do to our government? I swear to god this "Not all GOP" horseshit that gets trotted out to swat Democrats is hilarious considering the extremes the GOP rhetoric is about democratic politicans and democrats in general. I mean there aren't Democrat bumper stickers for "Conservative hunting permits" or Democrats saying they'll impeach President Trump on day one because of a made up scandal.

In 2015 if you're a democrat and you think the GOP can be reasoned with I say with what evidence do you believe that shit? Where is the reasonable stance from the GOP? Fuck sake they are threatening ANOTHER DEBT CEILING DEFAULT! And potentially another god damn government shut down. Where is the reasonable in that?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

He was saying that in response to Hillary talking about the Republican party as an enemy.

Some individual Republicans are decent folks, sure. Some individual Democrats are fucking assholes. I'm sure Hillary understands that, she's made enemies within her party and she herself was active in the Republican party when she was young.

But the actual Republican party, the organization, is evil.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Right now there's two types of Republicans on the federal level: Tea Party nuts intent on destroying our government and regular Republicans who refuse to stand up to them. Not all equally guilty but as a party they're completely useless.

• Options
    I'm very quickly remembering why Spool stays out of these. Continue with previous programming.

• Options

Right now there's two types of Republicans on the federal level: Tea Party nuts intent on destroying our government and regular Republicans who refuse to stand up to them. Not all equally guilty but as a party they're completely useless.

See I can get this much more than the "The GOP is obviously and objectively evil" one. Good stuff.

• Options
    I'm very quickly remembering why Spool stays out of these. Continue with previous programming.

Ahh yes the glorious "echo chamber" of reality. I'm glad you posted here to feel superior to all of us though.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Saying "“I actually like Dick 'I shot a man in the face and made him apologize' Cheney for real,” is enough to sour me on any human

• Options

Hey just as soon as major parts of the GOP aren't dedicated to voter disenfranchisement, oppression of the LGBT community, sabotaging the poorest to benefit the richest, or the government as being fundamentally evil I'm sure it'll be a perfectly decent party.

• Options

Ahh yes the glorious "echo chamber" of reality. I'm glad you posted here to feel superior to all of us though.

Was really surprised at the Biden hate, Sorta forget how fast the intensity level can rise.

This discussion has been closed.