Options

The First Democratic Presidential Debate - Jim Webb Officially Shutting Up

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Hey, O'Malley is at least pleasant to listen to and could potentially cause some sort of adjustment to Sanders/Hillary's positions. I mean he can't even come close to winning but he is more relevant than 75% of the GOP candidates at their debates.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm honestly kind of surprised Webb's the only dropout and that Chafee is still "in" this. Does he not understand how poorly he did at the debate? That was his one chance to throw the statistical and political equivalent of a full-court hook shot right through the net while wearing a blindfold, and instead he chucked the ball, bounced it off a wall, smashed a nun's face and ricocheted back into his balls. He's done.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    *shrug*

It's not like they coordinate this stuff. I'm sure Chafee will drop out in due time.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i read a thing about chafee that basically portrayed him as a single issue candidate, trying to get the dems to have a strongly dovish voice among candidates (since Sanders is dovish, but only focuses on domestic issues when stumping)
    seems fair enough

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    O'Malley is basically playing the part of Scrappy Do begging to be someone's VP

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So I heard the next Democrat well, not "Debate" but some kind of forum that Rachel Maddow is going to moderate literally completely sold out within 5 minutes of tickets being available online.

• Options
    Webb's concession is awful.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Look all I'm saying is it would have been amazing if Webb had been in the middle of saying that he was dropping out because he never got as much time or attention as anyone else and the newsfeed cut off because Chafee was dropping out and they wanted to report on that instead

• Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    And Webb is gone, whining that the democratic party has moved too far left and left him behind.

Well, I mean, he's not wrong about that.

• Options
    TheSmacker wrote: »
    I don't get the Webb hatred. Ok, he's a bad democrat candidate for president (if you are a liberal) considering the other candidates, but why care?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    I don't get the Webb hatred. Ok, he's a bad democrat candidate for president (if you are a liberal) considering the other candidates, but why care?

He's an example of why Obamacare is not as liberal as it could be, and represents a part of the party that has continually undermined any real movement to the left.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular

I think the whining about not getting enough speaking time really rubbed people the wrong way.

And the mumbling about the guy who tried to kill him in 'Nam was just... weird...

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

He's an example of why Obamacare is not as liberal as it could be, and represents a part of the party that has continually undermined any real movement to the left.
    If you are complaining about him as a senator, I think you are letting perfect be the enemy of good, and ignoring the reality of running in Virginia. He was 'better' than George Allen and won, and that's what matters

• Options
    I mainly dislike his view that dems just need to try harder to work with the other side. It's grossly unrealistic at this point.

• Options

If you are complaining about him as a senator, I think you are letting perfect be the enemy of good, and ignoring the reality of running in Virginia. He was 'better' than George Allen and won, and that's what matters

I'm complaining about his type on the left. You asked why we don't like him, and that's why. He's a manchin democrat. One that will perpetually be better than a republican, but that's a fucking low bar to clear, and any time the left wants to pass legislation these assholes extract a blood price of right wing bullshit to go along with it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular

To be fair, Jim Webb is not the reason the ACA had to be weakened in order to get to 60 votes.

That responsibility lies directly with Ben Nelson and Joe Lieberman.

As far as I can remember, Webb never threatened to pull his vote over the public option or anything like that.

But yeah, I think your larger point is correct, though. Webb does not represent where the Democratic base is today.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular

For me it's less his policies and more that he inflicted infantile whining upon me in the debate.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »

For me it's less his policies and more that he inflicted infantile whining upon me in the debate.
    That was ridiculous, but mostly because it was coming from a candidate with 1% nationally and no real campaign on the ground. It's like, come on buddy . . .

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Martin O'Malley would like to win while being a dick to old people. Biden in particular, but old people in general as well. Smooth move, O'Malley.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Martin O'Malley would like to win while being a dick to old people. Biden in particular, but old people in general as well. Smooth move, O'Malley.
    O'Malley wrote:
    UlG30XQ.jpg?1

EDIT: Oh god that was smaller on my phone

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    O'Malley is basically playing the part of Scrappy Do begging to be someone's VP

Or maybe he is just trying to strengthen his national exposure so he can be the front runner when Hillary isn't running.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Apparently Biden is changing his bin Laden story today to give himself more of an active role in the decision to go after him. He used to claim he told the president to NOT go after him. Today, he is saying he told the president TO go after him. He is also claiming now that he knew everything before Clinton.

Joe, you're making me not like you. Stop it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Apparently Biden is changing his bin Laden story today to give himself more of an active role in the decision to go after him. He used to claim he told the president to NOT go after him. Today, he is saying he told the president TO go after him. He is also claiming now that he knew everything before Clinton.

Yeesh usually a politician has to be found balls deep in a woman not his wife to have my opinion fall so fast.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Yeesh usually a politician has to be found balls deep in a woman not his wife to have my opinion fall so fast.

Bill reference or not?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

Bill reference or not?

Well I was thinking more Weiner, but he didn't actually cheat on his wife right just sent dick picks?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I was going to guess Edwards.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I was going to guess Edwards.

Well to have an opinion to fall I'd have had to have had an opinion on him in the first place. BOOM HEAD SHOT JOHN!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, Webb was incredibly disappointing. Dude could have done something useful, like get some of the normal republican votes to switch to something that wasn't republican.

Hopefully, he doesn't run independent. Not that it'll impact the Presidential race, I doubt he'll put any votes from Sanders or Hilary (likely Hilary). I don't think he has the same kind of base that the eventual GOP nominee will have. The main issue, is that he tends to draw the kinds of people that know the GOP is fucked up, but don't want to vote democrat and if he runs independent, those types will just keep voting in shitty tea party candidates and pro-oligarchy Republicans in the down ticket races.

I guess maybe, if people notice him, they get a better grasp how just how bat shit crazy the current GOP is.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, Webb was incredibly disappointing. Dude could have done something useful, like get some of the normal republican votes to switch to something that wasn't republican.

Hopefully, he doesn't run independent. Not that it'll impact the Presidential race, I doubt he'll put any votes from Sanders or Hilary (likely Hilary). I don't think he has the same kind of base that the eventual GOP nominee will have. The main issue, is that he tends to draw the kinds of people that know the GOP is fucked up, but don't want to vote democrat and if he runs independent, those types will just keep voting in shitty tea party candidates and pro-oligarchy Republicans in the down ticket races.

I guess maybe, if people notice him, they get a better grasp how just how bat shit crazy the current GOP is.

he should just join the republican side and try to capture the nom there...

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Nah, I mean, instead of running for the democratic primary, he could have tried to getting the people that would make up his base to vote for a party not run by crazies.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Jim Webb is sadly mistaking the fact that lots of people no longer self-identify as GOP or Dem voters as a demand for someone who is a mishmash of both parties, instead of people who just don't like to have labels, which is what I feel is more accurate.

I mean, I've never called myself a Democrat, but I'm sure as shit not going, "damn, if we only had more warhawk Dems with terrible ideas about gun control and the economy, then I'd be just peachy!"

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Biden needs to piss or get off the pot.

• Options
    I dunno if it was mentioned yet, but both the Firefighters Union and a freshman D congressman have basically said "Biden told us he's running unless he changes his mind."

Tomorrow is the last day he can legitimately announce without looking like a vulture on the Clinton testimony, so hopefully he just says "yeah I'm not fucking running because I really don't want to fuck with the pretty respectful primary we have going on" and endorses somebody.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Also: I am totally calling an Onion article after the D primary is over saying that Biden is still considering whether or not to run. And then a followup article after the end of the race saying the same thing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I'd prefer the Democrats not be identical to Republicans, thanks. We don't need two super conservative parties in this country, one's bad enough.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I'd prefer the Democrats not be identical to Republicans, thanks. We don't need two super conservative parties in this country, one's bad enough.

I'd rather have Harry Reid as Majority Leader.

Webb is a Dixiecrat. They aren't a part of the party I want to see anywhere near the Presidency or big Cabinet posts, but I don't want to throw them away, either, since you can't get elected in the South otherwise. Now, the fact that California isn't doing better than Dianne Feinstein is something I find frustrating in a way that Webb isn't.

moniker on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I want additional debates so we can have something like a debate hosted by the BLM group or similar focused on a single topic.

Because I'd rather see some focused rhetoric instead of a few scatter shot ones followed by a few after the primaries have already basically been decided. (Considering they are in 'undecided' Feb/March and by then half the primaries are over.)

So really there is only 4 when it matters. Black caucus being in January just barely makes it, but the Univision one will probably be after the fact.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

He's just biden his time.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »

He's just biden his time.