As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] III | 三 | Drei | Tres | Trois

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    And that's Lord Gwyn. Was a bit anti-climactic.

Guess I should go YouTube some Dark Souls lore vids, because I only have a basic idea wtf was going on.

The Dark Soul was you all along!

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    And that's Lord Gwyn. Was a bit anti-climactic.

Guess I should go YouTube some Dark Souls lore vids, because I only have a basic idea wtf was going on.

The Dark Soul was you all along!

Well, I mean, that's almost true. The Dark Soul was Humanity.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The lore is that Gwyn is an old and you're on his lawn.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Ha, I just parried with Priscilla's dagger. The second one triggered lifehunt and he was almost dead... third finished it.

If you read the various lore relating to Priscilla, she's been sealed away because Gwyn feared her lifehunt ability. Both of her weapons have it (it's a super-bleed that does 50% max HP instead of 30% as far as the weapons go), and would actually be the strongest weapons of their type without the ability anyways (well, the dagger would be tied with Dark Silver Tracer, those being the two S-rank dex scaling daggers, but the tracer's ability is drastically inferior. The scythe narrowly edges out the normal Great Scythe, but the ability is double-edged and so it's debatable which to use...).

That second hit on Gwyn took out 50% of his health. It was insane, and also fitting that the lifehunt weapons actually do murderize him.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Of course you can do it.
    It doesn't mean its wise.

It's not like I can talk though.

But still, on all my fist runs, I got a ton of health.

Frankly, someone without any vigor that complains about difficulty, I'm gonna be like "no shit?" :P

Eh. I'm not complaining as such. I was simply pointing that an area that already was among my absolute least favorites in the original had been made even more so in Scholar, instead of much less of a problem like pretty much everything else I've done up to now.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Drascin wrote: »
    Of course you can do it.
    It doesn't mean its wise.

It's not like I can talk though.

But still, on all my fist runs, I got a ton of health.

Frankly, someone without any vigor that complains about difficulty, I'm gonna be like "no shit?" :P

Eh. I'm not complaining as such. I was simply pointing that an area that already was among my absolute least favorites in the original had been made even more so in Scholar, instead of much less of a problem like pretty much everything else I've done up to now.

I had the same problem on my greatsworder in the original. Some encounters counter certain builds. Whole game was easy except one or two bits which were really hard.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I was kinda burning out, so I'm glad I beat it.

On the other, I kinda want to start again, power up the bass cannon, and kill everyone before becoming the Dark Lord.

Maybe I should just look for a sale on DS2. Was the PS4 version good?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Gaint dads are pretty damn hilarious fun.
    Soon as you hit fast roll with the giants on its just lol rly?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Gaint dads are pretty damn hilarious fun.
    Soon as you hit fast roll with the giants on its just lol rly?

I don't even understand. I only hit Fast Roll with Elite Knight +7/8 after 40 End, Havel's Ring, and Ring of F&P.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

Just follow the build. It works. It's strong. You can fast roll and still hit like a truck. Don't ask questions. Don't try to understand. Just do.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Yes, I'm aware of the video. I never noticed him rolling in it, though, I assumed that even at 66 End he'd be at least mid-rolling due to the supposed reduced gains after 40.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Nope, the father mask also reduces end requirements. The power of the build is that he can fast roll in giants with a strong weapon. Plus weight also effects movement speed and he's strafing at fast roll speed in the video.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Huh. Ok then.

Isn't the Mask you get off Pinwheel random, though?

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Huh. Ok then.

Isn't the Mask you get off Pinwheel random, though?

From memory, you can farm that mask off the mini-pinwheels near Nito?

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    You can buy it from Patches. I can't remember the requirements, but it's when he's back near firelink.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/mask-of-the-father

There we go. The requirement is just him being back at firelink, basically.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    You can buy them from Patches too.

Edit: Beaten.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I actually sat down in the paintd world, upped my endurance to 66, could immediately fast roll, and then that very second I just got invaded.
    Like ten seconds after I had completed powering up the bass cannon here comes this dude dinky dink dink along the path from where you start, hur hur I'll take you on bro!
    He turns the corner to see me and I was standing facing away from him, then I turn around and am all *wide arms*

He didn't have a very good time.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Well, the spiders are WAY more annoying on these slow-ass weapons than they are when I can just use an Estoc to crowd control them. Doesn't help that my usual "stay away" thrusts seem to sail clean over them without touching them half the time. And there seem to be a hell of a lot more of them in Scholar than there were in normal mode. Still, got from Shaded Woods to Ornifex's bonfire, and cleared a couple dark spirits from the Tseldora area, so I'm going to call today a decent amount of advancing for how little play time I had.

• Options
    No one answered the DS2 Question. Is SotFS on PS4 a good version? Is PC better?

• Options
    Sorry man, I've only got it on PC and PS3 so I can't compare.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    No one answered the DS2 Question. Is SotFS on PS4 a good version? Is PC better?

Having played ds2 on ps3 and then getting sotfs on ps4 i can say that yes it is a good version.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I mean, PC is probably better just because you can have it running at silly resolutions and downscale them, so it looks even prettier, but yeah. Scholar on PS4 is probably fine.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    So, fired up a new GiantDad for the lolz. Crestfallen Warrior was a PITA to kill first thing, but I managed to kill Havel first try with the starting axe; at 44dmg a backstab, this was a very long, slow fight, lol. But, already got his ring.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Go get the zwei right at the start and then pump your strength to 16 to weild it two handed asap. It will power you through the early game.
    You can't use a shield with this build, so get used to it now.

You can sprint straight through the skeletons, pick up the zwei, and sprint back to firelink without fighting anything.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Go get the zwei right at the start and then pump your strength to 16 to weild it two handed asap. It will power you through the early game.
    You can't use a shield with this build, so get used to it now.

You can sprint straight through the skeletons, pick up the zwei, and sprint back to firelink without fighting anything.

I already did that, yeah. I hadn't tried backstabbing with it, though, and absolutely couldn't kill CW with it, I needed to basically bait all the parry counters to win.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Zweihander: always be slammin'.

• Options
    Wait, I don't need to start a new character. I can just boost the strength on my NG+ Char a bit and Zwei All Day.

If I was to boost INT or FAI for a weapon buff, which would you all recommend?

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Wait, I don't need to start a new character. I can just boost the strength on my NG+ Char a bit and Zwei All Day.

If I was to boost INT or FAI for a weapon buff, which would you all recommend?

The faith ones are stronger, but have less casts.

Darkmoon Blade is the best, but you need to do a lot of covenant stuff. Sunlight Blade is a solid second best with less messing around and lightning damage is always reliable.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The build is strongest in NG since Chaos weapons don't scale with stats and the humanity boost is capped. And also since you are going to do that, you might as well just do whatever you want and boost your vit and strength and dex and magic and faith and

It's not really a build. :P

Shit you might as well boost your strength to 24 so you can one hand and use a better shield.

If you just wanna play around with the zwei and wear giants with a high level character you don't need to follow any build really.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

The build is strongest in NG since Chaos weapons don't scale with stats and the humanity boost is capped.
    But Black Flame, Black Flame means New Game Plus, bitches

• Options
    *sigh*

Why the hell do assholes camp the Undead Parish, anyway?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    *sigh*

Why the hell do assholes camp the Undead Parish, anyway?
    You answered your own question.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    The build is strongest in NG since Chaos weapons don't scale with stats and the humanity boost is capped.

You really don't need two black flames to slaughter everything and its dog with this build.

• Options
    Awwwww. This is what I get for being overconfident. Died stupidly against Freja despite knowing I should head back and spend the pile of souls I had, decided to head back to recover my body, got invaded on the way by a dude with a Dark Weapon'd greatsword and a pile of hexes. I managed to get some licks on him but I missed a couple dodges and got killed in two hits because, you know, Vigor 6. Something like 75+K souls down the drain.

(Honestly, though, it was about time. I've been invaded by actual players four times in this character and this is the first one that killed me. I have a nonsensical non-build and have no idea what I'm doing with these greatswords, I shouldn't be winning. My dumb luck had to run out at some point. It's just sad that it happened when I was on a corpse run.)

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I stayed up way too late trying to recover 100k souls in the iron keep of DS2. I did it, in the end but man am I tired today.

I'm having a struggle with DS2 that I had with DS1. How much to look up on the internet in terms of mechanics (is it worth it to keep increasing my strength? Or should I switch to vit? Maybe end?) I haven't looked anything up yet and I am going to try to power through without. Then play a NG and look it aaallll up. I've been upgrading weapons as well and am not sure if I should be. I took a rapier to +5 but then I picked up a rickard's rapier. Should I switch to leveling that up instead? I don't know!

Also, eff the rat king's little village. I think I wasted a few lockstones down there. :\

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

You really don't need two black flames to slaughter everything and its dog with this build.
    i guess

if you wanna be some kind of fake Giant Dad

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Also, eff the rat king's little village. I think I wasted a few lockstones down there. :\
    There's some stuff to be gotten from the two rat areas, however the majority of the lockstones merely unlock stuff for you to use against invaders if you're playing a ratbro.
    Basically, either look up what you want or ignore all of them. Or become a ratbro and kill enough people to have all the lockstones you could ever want.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    As to stats? Just look up where damage scaling softcaps for each type.
    40 for strength (27 when two-handing)
    40 for dex
    40 int for magic
    40 faith for lightning
    60 total int and faith for fire
    30 faith and int for dark (scales with lower of the two)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm personally not a fan of Ricard's rapier because I like having the R2 parry, and realistically you'll never hit anyone competent with Ricard's rapier's R2 attack flurry.

A few other rapiers have worthwhile R2 options, but the windup for Ricard's is just too great and you are guaranteed to be punished by anyone if you miss.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    So, in DS2, is there actually a "magic" school that's viable for a melee character, without needing to dip into caster stats (int, faith)? I liked how in DS1 you could use Pyromancy without needing to invest soul levels into stats that don't actually benefit you otherwise, but with the Pyro change in DS2 it feels like Pyromancy just became a different kind of sorcery.

Glal on