As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lego] Overwatch sets incoming!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    ?Por que no los dos?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It was so the little lego people didn't suffocate. Duh.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    i always thought it was so the bag was easy for me to rip it open and shower myself in lego as the bag burst apart

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    chromdom wrote: »
    I miss when Lego used to come in plastic bags that were perforated in hundreds of small holes for no apparent reason.

No real reason. Just a moment of childhood nostalgia jumping out from my brain.

I believe the holes were so when the bags were transported around to different elevations, they wouldn't explode from air pressure differential.

I'd bet it was cost reduction (less material = cheaper bags).

the cost of running the sheets of plastic through the hole punch is probably greater than any money recouped from recycling all the punched out bits

if I had to guess it would be for making it harder for a kid to suffocate on the bags

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It seems there are a few good reasons for the bags to have holes (holy bags?); are there reasons, beyond cost as Aioua points out, not to have holes in the bags?
    Small sharpish pieces possibly tearing the bags open jumps to mind. Anything else?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    It seems there are a few good reasons for the bags to have holes (holy bags?); are there reasons, beyond cost as Aioua points out, not to have holes in the bags?
    Small sharpish pieces possibly tearing the bags open jumps to mind. Anything else?

My bet is so they can compress the bags to get all the air out without having to vacuum seal them all.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I thought I was done with Lego for a while after the Big Ben build but this double-decker bus promo would be a perfect Christmas gift for my sister. Debating if I want to get one big set or just get a bunch of Marvel ones to complete my Avengers/Civil War collection (missing Falcon, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Vision)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    This is the first time I've ever seen a "typo" in a set of Lego instructions.

Image #1, just for reference so you can see the step before the typo:

5NsKluI.jpg?1

Image #2, instruction #258 contains the part that instruction #259 tells you to build. I flipped back and forth between 257 and 258 quite a few times trying to see if there was a missing page or something. The two images are just mixed up since 259 doesn't have the bit that 258 tells you to install, but I've put together a fair number of sets and this is a first. Too much to hope for that this means the instruction book is rare and valuable. :D

iDkeSXM.jpg?1

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Make sure to email them about that. Not only will it help them fix it quicker for future runs, but you might get a little gift for the trouble.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've had two lego sets in my life with included corrections. 1 was the Ant-Man set, and the other was the bank set from the original Wild West theme.

Both had an additional, loose, page that came separate from the normal instructions.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Make sure to email them about that. Not only will it help them fix it quicker for future runs, but you might get a little gift for the trouble.

Just checked the online pdf instructions and it has been fixed so I think I'd be out of luck there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've never been a fan of Ghostrider but I saw this at my work today:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Spider-Man-Ghost-Rider-Team-up-76058

Dat bike...

• Options
    Speaking of cool looking sets, find alternate pictures for the Ninjago Ultra Stealth Raider since the box art just doesn't do it justice. There was a display model at the Lego store and it looks so much better built than the pictures that it is unreal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

Dat bike...

Does anyone happen to know if the back tire on that thing is the Tumbler tire? It kind of looks like it and I'd like to put together the Batpod someday.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Dat bike...

Does anyone happen to know if the back tire on that thing is the Tumbler tire? It kind of looks like it and I'd like to put together the Batpod someday.

There's been a few Lego Tumblers, and more than a few not-Lego Tumblers put out.
    I found a picture of the big one and it's got a different tread pattern to it than the Ghost Rider bike.
    That said, don't not build a Batpod just because the tires aren't exactly the same.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Dat bike...

There's been a few Lego Tumblers, and more than a few not-Lego Tumblers put out.
    I found a picture of the big one and it's got a different tread pattern to it than the Ghost Rider bike.
    That said, don't not build a Batpod just because the tires aren't exactly the same.

Yeah, I was hoping to just follow the instructions they put out when they had a limited giveaway of Batpod kits last year. I think that use the same tires as the Tumbler, but good point that it doesn't have to be perfect.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    Picked up the Ghost Rider set from Target yesterday- was surprised to see the LEGO section shrunk a bit.

I had interest in the Nexo Knights figs, only to find the new releases replaced the existing ones completely. Can still get them online, fortunately. Thought I was facing another Ant-Man situation.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I haven't found the last Civil War set, but I did get Dr. Strange.

GET. DR. STRANGE.

It's an excellent set, and the paint applications are insanely good.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Apologies for non-lego talk, but I picked up a Megablock Destiny guy at Target today for laughs. He's kinda cool. Tempted to get the jump ship set and one with a sparrow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2016
    So I had some old Halo Megablok figures from multiple years ago. Went and dug them out. Wow the figures have improved a fair bit since then. The arms are now proper good gi joe style joints with much better articulation.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So I had some old Halo Megablok figures from multiple years ago. Went and dug them out. Wow the figures have improved a fair bit since then. The arms are now proper good gi joe style joints with much better articulation.

Yeah, the new figures MB uses are neat, they are basically mini action figures and have a decent amount of articulation. I recently got one of the Sparrow sets, and I kind of want the ship.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Destiny megabloks are interesting. I haven't played the game in a while, but it does have some cool aesthetics.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Destiny megabloks are interesting. I haven't played the game in a while, but it does have some cool aesthetics.

I have not seen them in person but I kind of want the Jumpship

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

It actually looks really solid.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

It actually looks really solid.

Yeah, like I'm not into Destiny or MB, but the Sparrow ones look really cool. Plus they do what I wish Lego did and include a clear plastic stance to pose them like they're flying.

Because I'm a weak, weak, man I ended up picking up the Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, and Bridge set (the Doc Ock one didn't really look good to me). I'm saving the Bridge for a rainy day, but did build the other two yesterday.

I'm really happy with both. The Ghost Rider one especially is a good deal at 20 bucks. The Hobgoblin and GR minifigs have lots of detail, and I like the web thing they now have added.

The Dr. Strange set is super cool too. I love how they did the window, and the tentacle monster is awesome. b63s165fovop.jpg

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Plus they do what I wish Lego did and include a clear plastic stance to pose them like they're flying.

This right here. Lego needs to have some clear stance pieces for their ships. The one that came with the Sparrow is nice, and lets you pose it in cool ways.

As for the Arcadia Jumpship, Jangbricks seemed to really like the build and his only complaint with it was with Mega Blox rather lax quality control (he was missing one of the molded pieces).

https://youtu.be/4wo6e1djzj8

(Sorry, I know this is the Lego thread, so I hope this isn't too much thread hijacking)

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Yup I just bought the jumpship and a sparrow. I'll report on the quality.

• Options
    Update: Finished both. Both are pretty cool. The Jumpship took forever to build both due to many of the parts being the same color, and build tolerances on megabloks being bad caused a few times I had to reassemble parts that came off during construction.

I had all the parts. Nothing missing and when finished the Jumpship is very sturdy and accurate looking.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Rogue One sets:

U Wing:
    q7pd47syczb2.jpg
    81yyj14voydh.jpg

TIE Striker:
    n6ky7rk8bv4c.jpg
    t4ud6jxo8ayr.jpg

AT-ST:
    sxk24xgjr8vg.jpg
    281uc3t19cr9.jpg

Imperial Assault Tank:
    eyj06pvmw36k.jpg
    4a1yad1babii.jpg

Shuttle:
    r64sag8rc10x.jpg
    j4hinxknewng.jpg

oh h*ck
  • Options
    The Tie Striker looks the best out of the models. The U-wing is pretty underwhelming, not sure if it is due to the translation to a smallish Lego set but it looks more like a box with a couple of forward spikes than a space fighter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Rogue One sets:

U Wing:
    q7pd47syczb2.jpg
    81yyj14voydh.jpg

TIE Striker:
    n6ky7rk8bv4c.jpg
    t4ud6jxo8ayr.jpg

AT-ST:
    sxk24xgjr8vg.jpg
    281uc3t19cr9.jpg

Imperial Assault Tank:
    eyj06pvmw36k.jpg
    4a1yad1babii.jpg

Shuttle:
    r64sag8rc10x.jpg
    j4hinxknewng.jpg

Fuuuuuuccckkk me that's going to hurt my wallet.

• Options
    The Brothers Brick also have shots of the Lego buildable figure sets in addition to pricing information for those sets.
    http://www.brothers-brick.com/2016/08/08/first-look-at-lego-star-wars-rogue-one-sets-news/

Liking the TIE Striker (but then, I have a fairly well documented addiction to Lego TIEs), but $70 bucks?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    The Tie Striker looks the best out of the models. The U-wing is pretty underwhelming, not sure if it is due to the translation to a smallish Lego set but it looks more like a box with a couple of forward spikes than a space fighter.

Yeah, both the U-wing and the Imperial Assault Tank both look like boxes with some detailing slapped on. And, like, not particularly exciting detailing.

• Options
    Would really like to see the back of the box for the U-wing. Looks like those wings could swing out like the previewed ship shots that went online a while back.
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-your-first-good-look-at-the-newest-ship-in-rogue-1784785642

To be fair, the official shots of the ship make it look like a box with some forward spikes on one end and engines on the other. So, the Lego set may not be all that far off.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Y49Lfig.jpg?1

I'm in real trouble here.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    That bug is intense. I want that.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    The U-Wing wings definitely swing back. If you look close you can see the hinges on the wings and the ball and socket pieces to lock them into place.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    75152 Imperial Assault Hovertank
    385 pieces, $29.99

75153 AT-ST Walker
    449 pieces, $39.99

75154 TIE Striker
    543 pieces, $69.99

75155 Rebel U-Wing Fighter
    659 pieces, $69.99

15156 Krennic's Imperial Shuttle
    863 pieces, $89.99

Apart from the TIE, the prices are pretty reasonable. I love me some Imperial TIE's but I'll just wait til it goes on sale somewhere.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Ken O wrote: »
    The U-Wing wings definitely swing back. If you look close you can see the hinges on the wings and the ball and socket pieces to lock them into place.

I saw the hinges, but figured there was a 50/50 chance they were just there as extra detail.
    But I missed the ball and socket pieces completely. That's going to be a firm connection keeping those wings in place.

• Options
    Weird how the u-wing has different figures in each photo. Top one has an extra rebel trooper but no pilot, box has a pilot but no trooper. The trooper then shows up with the At-St.

This discussion has been closed.